SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Opus Software
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Live View

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2013 at 5:27pm
Thx, cool :-)

I got some news too!

Bought 4GB Ram for my laptop (26€), so now it has 8GB
It did help quite a bit actually.

I can use it with an 23" monitor 1920x1080 and have a usable second view window now :-)
I mean it still stutters a bit during fast turns and banks but it is usable!

Now the thing is, The clent is only smooth-ish if the server runs at 80 fps or more, but not at unlimited.
Less than 80fps on the server and the Clent will stutter.(spy window client update rate drops too then)
Unlimited at the server and the Client will lag by seconds!

Now, I am not going to be able to run 80fps on the server at all times.
In fact I prefer to run the server at a fixed 30fps.

Is there a way to make the position updates to the client undependant of server frame rate?
Rob

i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Asus Max V Formula,GTX780 (previously 680), 8Gb GskillDDR3 2400@9-11-11-31, Change:Win7 64bit on WD Raptor and FSX on SSD since Jan2014.

Untill Sept 2012: Core2Duo E8500@3.9Ghz
Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 5:56am
You should not get stutter with 30fps. But its up to FSX when it issues the position updates. With no other arguments supplied to the FSXSERVER program FSX should be issuing position updates as soon as they change. I have no control over that at all.

Stephen
777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:54am
Aha so that is strange then.

What about the client lagging behind when the server is set to unlimited fps?
Have you ever seen that?
Rob

i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Asus Max V Formula,GTX780 (previously 680), 8Gb GskillDDR3 2400@9-11-11-31, Change:Win7 64bit on WD Raptor and FSX on SSD since Jan2014.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 1:09pm
You must reduce your target FPS on the server until the lag is removed. In other words tune your server FSX to suit your client(s).

Stephen
777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:16pm
Ok, yes I did that.

From 90fps downwards lag starts to reduce.
At 80fps it s gone.

Good to know that is normal.
Rob

777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 6:53am
Hi Stephen,

I see you are very busy with wind smoothing and other improvements, so I am afraid to ask and sound impatient!
But I am just to curious, please forgive me :-)

Do you still plan on adding Vertical Speed sync to the client?

Kind regards
Rob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 7:10am
Hi Rob

Yes, we will look into it soon.

Cheers
Cheryl
777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 8:12am
Ok great, thank you!
Rob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 12:10pm
We have implemented Vertical Speed sync on the client but we are disappointed with the way it operates, FSX on the client constantly resets the speed so that it flickers between two values.

Anyway we will probably include it in the next beta which will be released when Stephen has recovered from his cold.

Regards
Cheryl
777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 5:11pm
Ok thx for trying that thought, I appriciate that and will try it when it comes out.
Who knows, maybe it works different here.

Just for info.
I have also looked into programs like "Panel Builder" from Simplugin and similar apps.
This should allow one to create 2D instruments on a client PC via simconnect I think.
Vertical speed as well, but I have no idea how well that works.

Not sure if that info helps you at all cause I have no idea if you use simconnect.
(these comments are not intended as critisism, I just thought maybe it could help)

Tell Stephen "Get well soon!"
I feel for him, I hate the sniffles.

Rob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 5:17pm
Thanks Rob, we do use SimConnect but it is conflicting with FSX in its frozen state on the client.

Regards
Cheryl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 12:33am
Whenever anyone gets a chance can you check if setting the FSXCLIENT.EXE program to High Priority makes any difference to the smoothness of your Live View operation. Also please have a go at changing the priority of your FSXSERVER.EXE program and see if that makes any noticeable difference.

You can change the program's priority after it is running by right-clicking on the bottom Windows Taskbar and selecting the 'Start Task Manager' option, then right-click on the program name in the Processes list and select the Set Priority - High option.

If these changes make any difference I will add a 'Run as High Priority' option in both programs.

Stephen Thumbs Up
Tutdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tutdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2013 at 10:50pm
Stephen

Using Live View, on two of my three client machines I do not get weather changes (only clear skies) when I set my Camera View as "Virtual". If I set it as "2D" or "Aircraft" the weather shows up fine. Spy on these clients shows an "LWE Control Data Update" so I know the weather info is getting to these 2 client machines. I'm using the WV Dummy Aircraft on all three clients but it happens with any aircraft that I have on these machines. One of my clients works fine. The other two used to work fine so obviously I broke something.   Any idea what I might be doing wrong on the other two? All machines and installs are identical as far as I know. Opus 3.37.0 Beta.

Thank you.

Peter.

PS: So sorry. I figured it out myself. I accidentally deleted the ShowWeather=Yes line from my Camera.cfg file on the two client machines. Thought I'd leave this post up in case others might have had a similar issue.

Thank you.

Peter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2013 at 3:57am
Well done and thanks for posting the solution, it might be very useful for others.

Stephen
Tutdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tutdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2014 at 3:10pm
Stephen,

I am enjoying the use of OPUS which is fabulous! I wonder if you could comment on an issue I am having.

I am able to run my clients with zero lag even when flying a very agile aircraft like an Extra 300. After about 10 minutes of flying, I develop lag on the clients.

Stopping and restarting Opus on the client....no improvement in the lag. Stopping and restarting both OPUS and P3D on the client.....problem solved, lag is gone...at least for the next 10 minutes or so, then it returns.

Spy window on the client suggests that the position update rate seen by the client doubles when I experience this!

Any idea what I could change to avoid this?

Peter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2014 at 5:17pm
You should tune the Live View scan rate using the Live View test facility. Your client is most likely receiving too many updates and over a period of time produces a lag. There are two solutions. The best is to reduce the rate of updates sent from the server by adjusting the configurable scan rate (I.e. Increase it). The second is to occasionally press the pause key on the server and let things settle and the lag will then be gone. You can also use the pause key to measure the lag or amount of buffering at the client end. If the system is configured and tuned correctly there should never be any lag and both server and client should pause together almost instantly. If the updates are occurring too rapidly they may be buffered in the client (in the actual simulator) and then the client will pause only after a slight or even noticeable delay.

So best use the LV Test and adjust your LV scan rate to reduce the update frequency to something more manageable by the client system. You most likely will not notice any difference in the smoothness but it will prevent the client simulator from having to buffer up the updates and hence prevent the resulting display lag.

Stephen
HenryR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 3:16pm
First, how do you know what scan rate to set on the LV Test screen? I've run LV Test numerous times by using the "scan rate slider" on the LV screen, and determined what the Position Update Rate is using the Spy screen on the client. But, how do I know what scan rate to set based on the Position Update Rate? The only thing I see is the "slider" and I have no idea what the different positions correspond to.

I'm beginning to think I don't understand how to conduct the LV Test. Could you give some specifics? The "Getting Started" manual for networked clients is a little vague about this.

Thanks,
Henry
HenryR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 3:28pm
See our Getting Started Guide for Networked PCs ...

Here's an extract,

Testing The Link

Determine Your Optimum Update Rate ...

Close any Spy windows you have opened and ensure you have minimised your server's simulator to the taskbar.

Start off with the Update Rate slider in the centre position and tick each of the Pitch, Bank, and Yaw test options, then click the Start button. You should now see your client display jump to 500 feet above the surface and start moving in all three attitude axis. Let it run for a few seconds then click the Stop button. The client display should stop and reset straight and level without any significant delay. Adjust the Update Rate until you can run this test and Stop without any appreciable lag in the client response.

Once you have determined your optimum Update Rate open the Position & Attitude Spy window on your client system, start the test and make a note of the rough average number of Position Updates per second. Divide 1000 by this figure and set the ms rate in the Live View Scan Rate box provided in the Configure dialog e.g. 100 updates per second is 10 ms.

Stephen
HenryR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 3:40pm
Thanks for the added explanation. So, now I know what scan rate corresponds to what Position update rate. I'll set that and see, although I've used scan rates between 10ms and 24ms without noticing an appreciable difference in the Position update rate while flying (with the appropriate spy window open on each of the client systems.

When I went through the LV Test on the server as you outlined, I could select nearly all of the slider settings left and right of the center position without affecting the "stable lock-up" when I pressed "stop." That is to say, there was "no discernible time lag" before the straight-and-level lock up after pressing "stop."

Additionally, when I ran the LV Test on the client systems, I got consistently higher Update Rates than on the server test. When running LV Test on the server, I was getting update rates on the clients of a consistent 61-63 per second. When I ran the LV Test on the client configuration screen, I got numbers over 125 per second. Then, when actually flying, I never got update rates faster than 52-53 per second. Is this indicative of a bottleneck between the server and the clients?

TIA. Henry 
HenryR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 11:18pm
You will get higher rates on the client test because it does not need to communicate anything via your LAN.

You may need to consider your LAN set up but always bare in mind that the updates will not go faster than the rate at which the server FSX is issuing updates. The updates are only relayed when FSX says they have changed.

Stephen
HenryR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 8:15am
So, you seem to be saying that there may be a bottleneck in the LAN communications between server and client... correct?

You then say that I "may need to consider my LAN setup..." I have previously described both the NetGear switch and the fact that I am using the LAN port direct from each motherboard. Can you clarify what you mean by "...consider my LAN setup"?

Thanks. Following your response, I'll just move on.CryOuch

Henry
HenryR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 3:12pm
I mean you must consider your system as its not really possible for me to say what might improve your LAN throughput, you server update rate, or client smoothness.

All I can do is hint at likely causes, of possible problem areas. For example, the use of network hubs instead of switches combined with a possible slow network adapter. Some Addon, perhaps WideTraffic even, that is making large demands on the server etc.. The opus server will not send 100 updates a sec if the sim is only issuing 40 positional updates a sec.

Yes six cores is better than four. I have already confirmed the Opus makes extensive use of multi threading. It is not a hyper threaded application though. Don't really know what more to say. All the advice for setting up LV including tweaking the scan rate is in the GS networking guide.

Stephen :-)
HenryR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 5:42pm
So, if I'm using an intelligent GigaBit Switch (NetGear ProSafe model GS108), and if the drivers on the ASUS motherboards are up to date, am I doing all that's possible from a network standpoint? If not, do I need to install network cards in the computers? Are these "better" than the motherboard LAN ports?

Just making sure. Hope you have a good weekend.

Henry
HenryR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 1:30am
Motherboard LAN ports are fine combined with a switch provided they are not old spec 10 Mbps ports.

Stephen
Boomer74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 5:59pm
I have problems with CLIENT STUTTERING.

Well.
I have two computers (i7 950@3 GHz) and one i7-4770K at 3.5 Mhz. they both have P3D 2.4 on separate SSD:s and sufficient memory etc.
I have a gigabit network with the "right stuff".
I have Windows 8.1 installed with "nothing" else than P3D and DCS World installed.
I have OPUS FSI installed with the latest release installed (some release in jan 2015)

On both systems P3D is running with 59-61 fps on UNLIMITED (or 60 fps, or whatever lower value I set it to, tried several ones)

When I run Live View Test I have absolutely NO PROBLEMS. When I stop it stops immediately.
I've tested all kinds of SCAN RATES (from 0, which causes a long lag because of backlog) from 1 to 50. All values causes stutters.

So I read about the SERVER not being capable of sending out the updates, so I switched to the more powerful PC to be server. No change, client still stutters.

So, no matter what I do, there is client stutter. And never any stutter or delay when doing the live view test.

The stutter is not BAD, meaning, it was unflyable at situations, like mostly stuttering in the skies with 5-10 fps (as "percieved by the eye"). With optimized scan rate and fps settings (60 fps on both client and server) I get stutter 2-4 times/second (experienced as "10-20 good frames and some stuttering, then 10-20 good frames and then stutter).

Any hints on what might be wrong? I was suspecting the network, but Live View test is good. I was suspecting performance on one of the computers, but no, switching roles between client and server still makes stutter on client, even if it is less on client when the more powerful server is used. Looking at the task manager/performance monitor in Windows, both computers have free resources:
Server CPU 30% when flying
Client CPU 5% when flying

So, something else must be wrong. I have also tried the OpusPDK feature turned on and configured on both computers.

The only addons I have installed is Rex 4 Texture direct and FSUIPC (only used for controlling my Saitek rudders, Saitek yoke). I also have Saitek radio panel and multi switch panel.

Any hints appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 1:23am
Stutters are caused by the simulator not issuing position updates smoothly. This could be due to workload (irrespective of how powerful the system). You could try turning off the OpusFSI Live Traffic option on the server; you should also make sure you are using the new OpusPDK Interface on both server and client P3D systems as this is more efficient (greatly) and now highly recommended. See the latest Help info accessed from within the server's Configure dialog for setup instructions.

I would also leave the OpusPDK Interface enabled on all P3D systems.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 1:58am
If the live view test is smooth when run at both the client and then finally the server end then your network is fine and your client is fine. That only leaves the sim on the server, it is not issuing updates smoothly enough or constantly.

There is also a command line argument for the FSISERVER you might give a try. Try adding an R1 command line argument, e.g.

c:\OpusFSI\FSISERVER.EXE R1

That slows down the requested position updates so the sim (P3D) may have more time and send them more smoothly. Let me know how you get on and don't forget to try turning OFF Live Traffic and restarting the FSISERVER.

Boomer74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 4:20am
Hi,
I will try this tonight. What does the R1 argument do?

It seems to be that the sim server is not "hogged" at all, everything seems to run smoothly.

I will report back if this improves the stuttering problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 4:28am
Running smoothly is no indication, its how much time the sim code gives to issuing or servicing the requested SimConnect updates for the position and attitude data.

In P3D SimConnect updating is given less priority than in FSX and can also be affected by other SimConnect data updates such as Live Traffic. Hence the sim code will start sending the position and attitude updates less regularly resulting in the stutter.

The R1 argument reduces the requested update frequency slightly for the position and attitude data.

Boomer74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 5:50pm
Well, no improvements with R1. Is it possible to confirm if R1 is active? I was starting the server with a shortcut. X:\OpusFSI\FSISERVER.EXE R1

I hate to say this. But I installed Wideview (trial) and it works flawlessly. 

What could be the issue with Live View? I paid for it and would like it to work...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 2:52am
As I said above, turn OFF Live Traffic. WV does just one thing so there is obviously little burden on SimConnect. You should start off by turning off all features of OpusFSI except Live View and Live Camera, but with no actual cameras defined. Then go from there. Live View is generally more efficient and smoother in operation than WV with its dedicated piped IPC links. But you must remove all other burdens on your sim. There are a great number of LV users including professional flight sims that will attest to that.

The stutters ARE ALL coming from your sim !

The Live View test clearly shows and proves that, so reduce its burden when running FSISERVER by turning all other features OFF. Also fine tune using the Live View tests and the scan rate to give 40 to 70 updates per second displayed in the client Spy window.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 3:02am
Also make sure you are not running any software (AV or Firewall) that could be interfering with the FSISERVER program's piped IPC link communications. But if the server side Live View test works flawlessly then that is proving everything in the software and network is OK. All that is left is the smoothness of the updates FROM the sim.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2015 at 2:25am
Of course I should have mentioned, try it will ALL options other than Live View turned OFF. Then if all is well, install the latest OpusFSI Release Version and enable the OpusPDK Interface, see the OpusPDK Setup Guide. Then you can enable Live Camera and Live Camera Control as all eye point movement will no longer use the SimConnect interface and will go via the efficient PDK interface instead.

You should have no problems if you do this and will then be able to see the benefit of the fast IPC links. Using WV will just give problems in the future as soon as you try and add other features such as camera control and especially DHM.

Stephen
777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2019 at 7:31pm
Hi there.

I got Live view working on a second networked PC :-)

2 PC with Win7 and 2x FSX STEAM.

It took a bit of work with all the sharing and security settings and I still have to fine tune the position update rate but it works really great already.

I have two question though:
I wanted to create 2 views on my 2nd PC.
a 90 degrees left view and a 90 degree right view.

Now I wanted to undock those left and right views, drag each view to a separate monitor and run them both simultanuously.
But I cant seem to get that working.
Is it possible to run 2 views on 1 client?

Another little thing is that I can change the clients view to right or left but only with keystrokes on the server.
This makes both server and client look left (or right) and then when I go back to forward view on the server the client stays left(or right) (which is good).
But the same keystrokes on the client do nothing.
Is this normal?

Regards,
Rob
Rob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2019 at 2:38pm
Yes it is. You will have to read up on Windowed Views. Experiment creating a single 2D Scenic Windowed View with the 2D panel fully transparent in your client sims settings. You may have to move the eye point forward to prevent some of the cockpit skeleton being displayed. You will have to experiment. I believe I had to move the eye point a good one metre forward otherwise when looking to the side some of the skeleton frame would be displayed.

Read the section in our guide about Windowed Views carefully, they are a bit messy when creating as they have to be defined by settings in the aircraft.cfg file, which is only reloaded when starting up or when switching from a completely different aircraft type.

It can be done but you will have to take it one step at a time. Not sure if you could combine the main view with one single undocked Windowed View, to create the two left/right views, both 2D scenic views, both using the same advanced eye point then rotated etc..

Regards
Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2019 at 2:44pm
When editing the views you should only use the commands and keys on the opus server.

Note only the main display in the sim can have its eye point controlled. That’s why you must edit the client view while it’s dosplayed on the clients main display. The eye point in a Windowed View cannot be controlled.

Stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic