SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > BN-2 Islander Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KN90a gps not working, ERR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KN90a gps not working, ERR
    Posted: August-10-2011 at 3:02pm
Since yesterday, I got an error message in the KN90a display, even in a cold and dark cockpit.

The error states:

ERR: install error 
unable to start kln90a 
check install settings

Now which settings is this referring to? Apart from trying an uninstall+reinstall of my Islander, are there any tips and tricks into dealing with this?

flydave123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flydave123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 11:34pm
Make sure if using Vista or Win 7, that you install with UAC turned off and run as administrator. Also,if re-installing, use the Flight1 wrapper file with the red aircraft icon NOT the extracted exe file.
Tobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:35am
Thanks,

I use W7 64bit, UAC is turned off as far as I know, but a reinstall wouldn't be a bad idea I think, just to make sure. Will post the result here.
Tobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:08pm
Ok, now it's becoming weird.

I tried to uninstall, but both the uninstall in start menu as the one in Windows configuration panel says when opening the uninstall, that this will uninstall the Lockheed Constellation + Servicepacks. No, me don't think so. 

I now did an install (without prior uninstall) of the Islander. It stopped at 99%. I edned it, restarted FSX, and now KN90a seems normal (black). I start up energy, avionics and KN90a: weird markings and then only green lines, no text.

Seeing that the 99% thingy + wrong diplay thingy is a known issue on this forum, to be corrected by downloading and placing the terminus font. Which I did.

Restarted FSX, default FSX craft, switch to Islander ... same old error from first post is back... Angry 

What to do now?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flydave123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:37pm
Are you using the download version of the Islander? If so, try re-downloading a new wrapper file. The issue with the uninstaller wanting to uninstall the wrong aircraft was in an older version of the installer. The software used to create the installer issues a default filename which should have been changed to a unique name. (This is easy to accidentally leave the default name and a lot of add-ons suffer the same problem. It will attempt to uninstall the last aircraft installed using the same default name. Re-installing over the top cures that and takes back the control of the uninstaller to let you then uninstall correctly. Do that with any other ad on that has that problem.)

Have you uninstalled any other software which may have removed something used by the Islander?

The font issue is a windows font folder protection issue and some users seem to have excessive protection, depending on windows itself. Manually installing the font is the only option there. The hang at 99% is happening because the font file is the last one to install. Just ignore the incomplete install and manually add the font.

Make sure that you install as administartor by right clicking the setup file and selecting "run as admin". Also, make sure UAC is turned off is you only think it is off. MAKE SURE by typing UAC in the start "RUN" text box and dropping the slider to minimum.
Tobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 3:36pm
Ok, now I'm confused.

My Installer was pre-v1.6, so I redownloaded. I bought mine via simmarket.
I reinstalled, again the hanging at 99%. I shut down the installer and copy/pasted the terminus font to my windows fonts. Not seeing it appear there, I right clicked the font and selected "install". Still not showing in fonts dir. 

I started FSX, loaded with default Cessna, switched to BN-2, hit the power and avionics and... weird graphics and no letters in KN90a.

I'm at a loss now. My error message is gone, but KN90a is still unusable, apparently because of font issues? Help?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flydave123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 6:00pm
You have to turn off protection on the windows fonts folder. You must make it so that the files aren't protected. If I remember, right click on the font folder and allow files to be overwritten. I may be wrong but something along those lines.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flydave123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 6:02pm
Same issue in this thread. It is down to how windows protects your fonts folder.

Tobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 6:37am
Got it! Had to select the font, right click, go to security tab and give all permissions to all users. Deselecting the entire fonts folder read-only didn't work.

Thanks all! 
Tobus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 3:24pm
And ... do not got it. Error from first posting is back. As it seems now, they only come back with 2 repaints I've added, but I have no idea what can cause this, since the additional info in the aircraft.cfg are identical to default liveries.

So it's not exactly a/c related, but repaint related. Any ideas to help me along?

Robs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2018 at 11:08am
Did this ever get resolved? Can you post the solution?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic