SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intel security

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 4:36am
I ran the tool for the Intel firmware update last week and got the same result - was a bit confused at the time when it said my machine was not vulnerable but that makes sense now.

Hopefully the various software patches, both for OS and browsers plus continuing vigilance and sensible internet use will be enough to stay protected from future exploits. I'm not in a position to update my laptop at the moment so that will have to be good enough.

I'm having the same issue with work PCs from HP and Dell which likely won't get firmware updates either as many are 4th or 5th gen Intel and there's no budget to replace them for a couple of years. Talking to the desktop support guys there's a lot of misunderstanding over the details but fortunately the systems people I talk to do know their stuff. Very much like the discussions on other flight sim forums compared to here, particularly with regard to performance impacts. WinkLOL
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 8:43pm
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/11/16879988/intel-meltdown-spectre-cpu-performance-open-letter

Microsoft is hilarious...   naaa  it wont hurt Windows 10 and newer processors, just Windows past and Haswell, exactly the opposite of what I have seen thus far  Wacko Sell that OS~!

oh, yes and by the way, sys admins might not want to patch up and take the risks over the perf hit   LOL
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2018 at 7:33am

I have updated my MSI Notebook running Windows 10 with the OS patch KB4056892 and confirmed it was installed with Powershell, using this link as reference:

(Scroll down to "How to check if your PC is protected against CPU vulnerabilities")

I have also done compare runs with 3DMark06 before and after the OS patch and after updating NVIDIA drivers with no defined change in the final performance. Maybe because of insufficient number of runs or specific hardware reasons. Total of 10 runs, four before the OS Patch, three after the OS Patch and three after updating NVIDIA drivers. These runs were all made with the i7 6700HQ (HT turned off), GTX960M, 1x8GB DDR4 2133-15-15-15.

The average score with this hardware is about 22660 points both before and after all the updates.  A slight drop of about 150 points in the average score was noticed with the OS patches, which then climbed back to the original average score after the NVIDIA driver change.

Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2018 at 2:15pm

While waiting for MSI to release firmware for the Spectre flaw, I updated the BIOS and the Intel ME Firmware to fix the sequrity vulnerabilities of Intel SA-00086.

MSI provides a convenient Intel ME Update Tool to patch the security vulnerabilities (Intel SA-00086).

Imagine the time spent to fix issues like this by people all over the world.

Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2018 at 3:21pm
My tests were to compare W10 and to W7 before and after the patches.

Although I did point out the drop in W10 directly (not compared to W7) was only around 300pts on this end, nothing significant. But I defiantly show a 1700pt difference between W7 and W10, 14-1500 of that right out of the gate and much smaller change when driver was applied.
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2018 at 12:10pm
I have moved all of my sensitive work over to my laptop, but is there a way of wiping the sensitive information stored in the memory of a computer which is unable to get the updates needed to sort out the flaw? 
Hans

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2018 at 2:36am

Not sure what you mean Hans

When you shut a computer off (no sleep or hibernate) and remove all power sources the data in physical memory is destroyed.

If what you refer to is hard drive be it SSD or mechanical, with SSD simply do a reset of the SSD drive, with mechanical hard drives it requires what was once know as a 'government wipe' which goes much further than writing zeros to the drive. There is also a common technique/device from years back called a degausser which essentially destroys all date using a magnetic tool.

Past that, its a sledge hammer taken to the drive.

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2018 at 2:59am
Okay I didn't know that the physical memory was erased from information when the computer was turned off. That was what I wanted to do. So if I don't do anything with sensitive information, such as banking or paying with credit cards etc during the next power up, hackers cant' get that information using the Meltdown/Spectre flaw unless that kind of information is stored elsewhere? Browser maybe?
Hans

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2018 at 4:16pm
As long as you are not having the browser retain usernames and passwords and fill them in each visit while verifying the site you are on in the address bar, you should be fine.

I would run MS update for the Meltdown patch. The other areas are checking the Intel Management software for exploit, patch as required and update the video driver to this months release. Although Nvidia insists their cores are not directly affected there is a chance their cores can be used to access the CPU. I would say that's just about the same as having a exploit in the GPU, none the less after those 3 holes are plugged the only way to patch for Spectre is a BIOS update.

I wouldn't go crazy and throw a computer out over it if its too old and wont get patched.

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2018 at 1:07am
Thanks Nick I will update the flight sim rig following your advice, but I don't think I'll ever see a BIOS update for it.

The 3 holes in the laptop are already plugged. Still waiting for the a new BIOS version there.
Hans

Flying Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2018 at 5:26am
"there is a chance their cores can be used to access the CPU."
I recently installed the updated 388. Nvidea driver. Clean install without the
items I don't need.
After installation my computer developed a lag caused by a blue circle over the
network icon, which would stay there for up to half a minute stopping certain programs.
I eventually found the problem to be an item installed by Nvidea called "Telemetry" as part of the driver install. Which I later found, send back CPU info to Nvidea.
After disabling the "Telemetry" in config.msc the problem was resolved.
So it seems they DO access the CPU.
Best regards, Jaap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2018 at 6:55am

"After disabling the "Telemetry" in config.msc" That should be services.msc
Best regards, Jaap.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2018 at 11:32am
Alternately, when installing a new driver you can decompress the driver and then cancel the installation. Go to the Nvidia folder on C where it decompressed and inside open the driver folder(s) till you get to the primary driver install directory....  inside that folder delete the directory: NvTelemetry

Then run setup from inside that directory to install the driver without Nvidia Telemetry

Also, after installation check the Nvidia control panel > HELP menu and make sure DEBUG MODE is unchecked. Also uncheck ALLOW EXPERIENCE IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM  (If it is there)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2018 at 11:45am

What happens Nick if I delete the Telemetry folder AFTER the install of
the driver.
I was not aware of the possibility you just described.

Best regards, Jaap.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2018 at 11:48am
It has to be done before the driver is install. That driver directory on C:\ does nothing after the install and the entire C:\Nvidia folder can be deleted

From what I recall you can also delete: NvBackend and the: GFExperience directories before installing the driver which should eliminate the majority of the junk they try to put into a system

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2018 at 1:05pm
We need companies who only provide what we want without all the junk.
Is that a new business model?..."$4.99 and you only get the drivers without the junk we install with the free version"
Hans

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2018 at 3:49pm

Thanks for that Nick.
Best regards, Jaap.
777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2018 at 10:16pm
I have no idea what the difference is between Meltdown and Spectre is and how it could affect my Computers.
I have three Win7 boots and a Win7 Laptop.

I would be eternally gratefull it if someone can advice me what to do.

I have not updated Win7 (on any machine) for a long long time (Windows update shutdown).
Once the Win10 crap started, I opted for diverting most things that need to be secure (/buying stuff/banking) from windows to Apple devices.
And my apples devices are kept updated.

The Win7 PC has a tripple boot system..

One Win7 boot only has FSX boxed (and add on).
So it is online but only to download weather (OPUS FSX) and probably other stuff I am unaware of.
Other than that, no Email and I dont even browse the internet with it.

The second Win7 boot has FSX Steam on it.
Again it is online to upload weather (OPUS FSX) and to talk to Steam.
Other than that, no Email and again, I dont even browse the internet with it.

Now comes the messy parts.
When I buy FS addons I do so from my updated Apples devices.
But at some point I have to login to my Flight1/simmarket/whatever account to download the software (scenery/airplanes/whatever) with a windows Machine.
This is what I use my third boot for plus it also stores tons of family photos.
So No Email but I do browse with this unprotected machine.
How dangerous is that?
I guess hackers could get my passwods for Flight1/Aerosoft and this forum for that matter but I am not sure I see a real danger. Purchases are made on secure Apple devices so as long as a Hacker cant wipe out my whole FSX system or photos just because he thinks that is funny, I am not sure if I should update this machine or not.
If I must update this third boot then it will be an awefull lot of sifting through each and every update to prevent Win10 traps to be installed :-(

My Laptop (Sony Vaio) is the worst case I think as I do Email from it sometimes, browse the internet, I use Itunes on it , etc.
It too has not been updated since Win10 crap.
It barely allowed Win7 to be installed a few years ago so there is no way it will run Win10
To update this Laptop will also require sifting through the updates to prevent Win10 traps from Happening.
It would prefer to buy a new Apple laptop before spending weeks sifting through updates.

Can someone please confirm:
I can leave my FSX boxed boot unprotected (no bowsing, only FSX addons that connect to the internet)

I can leave my FSX Steam boot unprotected (no browsing, only addons and Steam connect to the internet)

If I leave my third boot unprotected (used to log into Flight1/simmarket/Aerosoft to download software) my other SSDs containing FSX boxed/steam and tons of scenery and family photos can not be destroyed by Spectre or Meltdown?

My laptop should be tossed or updated :-(

Thanks very much in advance
Rob

i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Asus Max V Formula,GTX780 (previously 680), 8Gb GskillDDR3 2400@9-11-11-31, Change:Win7 64bit on WD Raptor and FSX on SSD since Jan2014.

Untill Sept 2012: Core2Duo E8500@3.9Ghz
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2018 at 4:38am
Hi Rob,

If you haven't applied any Windows updates since the change in updating practice a couple of years ago you will already be running insecure. There were some nasty vulnerabilities last year which you don't want on your PC as these have been used in Ransomware attacks etc. which you would want to avoid!

So my advice is at a minimum you need to do some Windows / Office patching on the boot you use for internet access / software downloads etc. If you manually run automatic update you will get all the cumulative updates, both security and other but in all honesty I haven't seen anything in two years now which is a problem and cannot be sorted. In fact the only thing I've needed to do is disable a service called 'Diagnostic Tracking Service' which once disabled has stayed that way.

Also make sure that your browsers are kept up to date and this includes IE as it is a deeply embedded part of Windows / Office even if you don't use it directly.

Don't apply any firmware updates yet, even if available, as these are what will cause performance issues and at the moment appear to have stability issues, particularly for older processors.

The software patches for Spectre in particular will never be 100% effective until the cpu firmware (via BIOS) is patched and even then it may be there is no complete solution with current processor design.

So for many of us with older processors we may have to live with the situation, keep our browsers and other software patched and keep practising sensible computing!

BTW - With Apple you will not get the latest security updates unless you are running the latest iOS / OS X etc. I'm still using older versions of iOS on my phone and tablet for app compatibility and device performance reasons so have to live with that. Apple only appears less vulnerable (to date) because it has a smaller market share than Windows, this has been changing for a while now.
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64.
TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2018 at 5:55pm
A prospective death knell for high performance computing as we now know it: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/24/death_notice_for_moores_law/
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

Win 7 Ult 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 6:20pm
Thx Robmw.

I think I am pretty save with my insecure PC though.
If I had a randsomware problem I would simply re-image my OS....there is nothing on my C:drive that I need.
My photos and music on other discs should be fine (untampered) even with a randsomware attack right?

But I definately need to do something about my laptop.
Do you guys still read the fine print of all Windows updates?
I did that for a while to prevent installing those Win10 boobytrapped updates....then got tired of it and quit updating.
But if Microsoft has stopped trying to force Win10 on us then maybe I could simply install all updates since then?
Or are there still updates to avoid?
Rob

i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Asus Max V Formula,GTX780 (previously 680), 8Gb GskillDDR3 2400@9-11-11-31, Change:Win7 64bit on WD Raptor and FSX on SSD since Jan2014.

777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2018 at 6:24pm
Mmm does that mean upgrade your PC now, cause things are only going to get slower from here?

Rob

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2018 at 11:55am
Rob, KB2952664 still shows as an "Important update" for me.

I simply choose not to install it.

Hans

robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by 777simmer 777simmer wrote:

My photos and music on other discs should be fine (untampered) even with a randsomware attack right?

Do you guys still read the fine print of all Windows updates?
But if Microsoft has stopped trying to force Win10 on us then maybe I could simply install all updates since then?
Or are there still updates to avoid?

With ransomware the only sure protection is have your backups off-line, i.e. physically disconnected from your computer. Even if you make image backups ransomware could start the process of encrypting the image file which would likely be corrupted even if you pulled the plug on your system when you noticed.

The nasty thing about ransomware is that typically once it gets on your system it will sit unnoticed for a period of time and then trigger so even your system backups may by then include the infection. Another good reason to keep the Windows system partition separate from your data (and your flightsim install) because you can restore these without having a latent infection present.

Since the changes to Windows update I have installed the security-only updates on my flightsim machine and the full monthly roll-ups on my laptop and work computer. The security-only updates must be downloaded and installed separately so require some diligence but are the closest to a guarantee that nothing unwanted is present. However, the roll-ups have been fine on my other machines with only the 'Diagnostic Tracking Service' being installed which once disabled has stayed disabled.

Edit: KB2952664 - Interesting , that appears under 'Optional' for me. I should also say that I ignore any optional updates unless it's clear they have some benefit, which hasn't been true for me for a long time. I vaguely remember something when the "Get Windows 10" campaign was running about how earlier selection of which updates were installed could affect how later ones were offered and whether they were classed important or optional. It was all something of a mess as I recall!

777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2018 at 6:04pm
@Rob
Yes I have offline backups of photos, videos etc.

So I will start looking for a new family laptop...which will be an Apple I guess.

The only thing is....with those two new bugs out (meltdown and spectre), would it make more sense to wait for a CPU generation that has these problems solved at a hardware level?

@Hans
I never imstalled that and other Win10 related updates either. Not sure if it is still in the list now....probably is.
Rob

robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 9:41am
If you had a Haswell cpu I'd say hang on to that and upgrade the graphics card if you're running P3D as the basic performance seems little improved with later generations. However, with Ivy Bridge I'm not sure as I don't know what the performance difference amounts to in the same comparison.

What I can say is that from Haswell onward firmware patches (when they are perfected, which certainly is not the case yet) are likely to have less impact on performance as these cpus have instructions which will directly help. It seems at the moment that eliminating the problem completely will involve changes which will not be compatible with the efficient processing of cpu instructions.

But who can really say for sure as such changes are quite a long way in the future.

My plan is to stick with my Haswell and see what the next generation of Nvidia is like and hope that it's affordable. Hans or Nick might have something to say about the relative performance of Ivy Bridge.
777simmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 777simmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 12:28pm
I was not talking about my PC but about my laptop.
My laptop (dual core Sony Vaio) needs either updating or replacement.
I prefer to “upgrade” to a new Apple laptop so that I can finaly use it to display family photos (via my Network and Apple TV) on the TV.

I have tried this (photos on TV via my LAN) with Windows but even today in 2018 I cant get that to work.
Not consistently anyway.
It is rediculous that the only solid way to get content from a Windows device to a TV is by direct HDMI cable!

I even bought a Synology NAS for the pupose but that turned out to be the most complicated thing I ever tried to get working :-(
Horrible!!....hours of Utube Video later I finally got the basics running but its far from a user friendly media server.

So my hope for family puposes is all on Apple from here on.

But is it better to wait a little with a new Apple Laptop until new CPUs come out that are not vulnerable to Meltdown and Spectre?

Yes my PC is Ivy. (For FSX I will always keep a dedicated Windows PC).
Performance is great.
Probably not quite Haswell, but I have had zero performance problems ever since I bought it.
I am not throwing that out unless it stips working.
The only thing I would like to do for flight sim purposes is add a second PC to my setup and experiment with P3D running two PCs in sync. (I dont have P3D yet!)
The idea is to share the load of multiple views (left, center, right).
I think P3D supports the use of multiple PCs but I am not sure.
This seconds PC needs to probably be bought rather sooner than later if I want to have it running on Win7.
But this project is not as much a priority as the laptop.
Rob

Ronski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 7:32pm
Hi Guys,

I've been following this discussion since the beginning, Interesting.
 Beware, Trust no one,  was my initial reply.
A couple of comments sum up what is happening here, and based on the dozens of phone calls we are receiving daily from panicked people, "Help, I NEED to upgrade my computer because of a Flaw just discovered that " ALLOWS software to steal my information."

Quote since Microsoft stopped trying to force windows 10 on us
Quote Mmm does that mean upgrade your PC now, cause things are only going to get slower from here?
To answer the first,  Microsoft have never stopped trying to force Windows 10 on us, after the Free giveaway effort, they moved to blocking newer systems from using anything but Windows 10.   Now they are bringing out the big guns using scare tactics.
Their message is clear,  YOU MUST UPGRADE NOW before it's too late, Armageddon is upon us
brothers,  repent now and save yourselves.

Is it real? Censored  (disclaimer: my opinion only, so be kind, many disagree with me)

I've never heard anything so ridiculous,  after 10 years, They have "discovered" something that has been built in and used on a daily basis by Windows and the majority of software/hardware systems all along.  It is BY DESIGN. The ability for software to exploit your computer and transmit personal data to remote servers Evil Smile  
 It's called telemetry, data mining or as we used to call it in the old days...HACKING.      However, hacking infers stealing,  so technically it's not now, because we all clicked on; 'Accept' or 'I agree'.
To come out and say;  "we have just discovered this"  is absurd and insulting.  We have been monitoring this backdoor traffic for years,  and it's getting worse.
Calling it, 'customer experience program'  or 'GeForce experience'  it's all related to the same thing, ie.  The ability for "software to use OUR data and send and receive to a remote location,"  Without your knowledge of what or where it's going. Sneaking in telemetry bundled with drivers etc. etc.
Spectre, Meltdown,  call it what you like, it's the same thing. What they are saying is, Oh, it's OK, if WE do it,  but we are blocking others.   Wacko

The world is changing,  Let's look at  Facebook for example. Mark Zuckerberg has risen to become one of the richest men in the world,  Facebook was created in his university bedroom and given away for Free. Cost of development? maybe some Big Mac's burgers and cokes,  and some late nights. (Hey, I was a student once)
A free, relatively simple application that required no massive financial investment at all,  and to date he is worth over 70 billion dollars. How is this possible?
The board of directors at Microsoft, Apple and Intel must have been saying;  "hang on a minute,  we have invested Billions of dollars in infrastructure, machinery, engineering and complex manufacturing,  we're doing all the real work, and this guy is making more money than we are."
Welcome to the future, Marketing, advertising and Media is where the easy money is.
Why spend a heap of money developing newer and faster chip technology when all we have to do is get paid a fortune to promote advertising.  Easy money.Pig
To have all this, just click on 'like'   Thumbs Up

If you want to see all this activity, get a packet sniffer, Wireshark, or a free app called tcpview.
It's a surprise to sit and watch in real time all this network activity going on behind the scenes. TCPView also tells you which program is working,  where the information is going, how much is sent and received,  and the name of the places or IP addresses where it is going. Amazonaws is a popular one? data collection center??
All this while nothing is loaded or running and just sitting at your desktop.
Firewalls and antivirus programs simply allow all this.  So where is the 'Real security'. These Professional Hackers will be laughing all the way to the bank.

So, what is it they have 'just' discovered?
Using controlled laboratory testing, they have just found out how deep the rabbit hole really is.

Just my 2 cent rant for the day, Beer
Ron.

robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 11:49am
@Rob

Ah, my mistake, glad to hear you're happy with your current system as sticking with that seems to be a good plan! If you are thinking of building a second machine then it might be better to do it sooner rather than later if you still want to use Win 7. Opus FSI is a good tool to hook them together in the way you want to do, for both synchronized views and weather. I've been using it for years now for view management and weather on a single PC, haven't found anything else I think does a better job. Unfortunately you'll need another license for a 2nd machine running P3D, only the developer license covers concurrent use on more than one machine.

As for laptops if I replaced mine I would have to go with a Win10 machine as I run progs like moving maps, flight logging, and weather on it, apart from general computing. I'd just have to suck up the disadvantages. However, if I didn't need to run Windows based software at all I might well go for Apple. My wife uses an iMac and MacBook and occasionally I use them as well. Updating OS X doesn't seem as obnoxiously applied as Microsoft's approach to Windows.

@Ron

Can't disagree with any of that. Could say loads more myself but I think between you and Nick you've summed up a healthy dose of skepticism and focused on what matters.

It seems that patches for Meltdown and Spectre will have disable switches in the registry and so can be turned off if necessary. Bearing in mind that firmware patches may never be available for older hardware or operate efficiently then ultimately Windows patches could be installed for general use and then switched off when running high demand software if there is a need - there's already a tool called InSpectre which claims to do this. Also browsers will get patches that make it harder to exploit the flaws. All in all I think it's quite manageable.

And another thing - I'm sure we will see more flaws of this sort revealed over time. Fundamentally, totally secure classical computing is not possible although blockchain technology does have the potential to get very close. But look at the performance hit involved when every transaction in the chain has to be verified - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch as the saying goes!

And if quantum computing eventually delivers it's potential there goes the whole basis of public key / private key encryption as we know it - the only remedy would be quantum computing itself.

I can't worry too much about this stuff as I get older, too much time required to keep on top of it all when there's other things I'd rather be doing. LOL

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 5:10am
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2018 at 4:09am
Okay, so the microcode update for my laptop (Skylake i7 6700HQ CPU) has been released:

BIOS version: E1795IMS.11D (released February 13)
"Update CPU microcode 0xC2 for Intel-SA-00088 (Meltdown & Spectre) speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities"

I have downloaded the BIOS file and checked the date it was last saved (January 18)

On January 22, Intel recommended that customers stop deploying the current microcode version on affected processors while they perform additional testing on the updated solution.

I think I´ll wait another month or so and check again if a newer BIOS version has been released, (if Intel provides updated microcode to MSI)  

Hans

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 2:26pm
Microsoft KB2952664 is back in IMPORTANT UPDATES after it was set to HIDDEN here.

Be sure to uncheck that, set it to HIDE and, check the SERVICES LIST after updating to make sure Diagnostic Tracking Service is set to DISABLED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:57pm

So I have noticed.
Best regards, Jaap.
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2018 at 10:17am
Okay, so I finally did the BIOS update on my notebook and ran the Powershell test to confirm it worked. Then I did four compare runs in 3DMark06. The average score dropped from 22660 to 22510 after the BIOS update.

Originally posted by Fly happy Fly happy wrote:

I have updated my MSI Notebook running Windows 10 with the OS patch KB4056892 and confirmed it was installed with Powershell, using this link as reference:

(Scroll down to "How to check if your PC is protected against CPU vulnerabilities")

I have also done compare runs with 3DMark06 before and after the OS patch and after updating NVIDIA drivers with no defined change in the final performance. Maybe because of insufficient number of runs or specific hardware reasons. Total of 10 runs, four before the OS Patch, three after the OS Patch and three after updating NVIDIA drivers. These runs were all made with the i7 6700HQ (HT turned off), GTX960M, 1x8GB DDR4 2133-15-15-15.

The average score with this hardware is about 22660 points both before and after all the updates.  A slight drop of about 150 points in the average score was noticed with the OS patches, which then climbed back to the original average score after the NVIDIA driver change.

Hans

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2018 at 2:57pm
100pts isn't anything to be concerned with.

With Intel changing code, MS screwing up patches and making the systems more open to attacks and then having to patch 2 or 3 times after, I would say its probably going to be a few more weeks or months till its all settled.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic