SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intel security

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intel security
    Posted: January-03-2018 at 2:28pm

This might be of interest to people. Picked it up
from the British news paper The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/03/major-security-flaw-found-intel-processors-computers-windows-mac-os-linux?CMP=fb_gu
Best regards, Jaap.
Ronski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 10:23pm
Beware of Microsoft security patches for this one.
Trust no one...

Happy new Year to all.Beer

woodhick803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 7:50am
WinkConfusedCry

Or any of the above ].

Jetline Hellfire GTO
Intel I7 960 quad core processor O/C'ed to 3.7GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX570 1.2Gb video card
6 Gb Muskin DDR3 CL 6 RAM
300Gb VelociRaptor dedicated hard drive
Win 7 Home Premium
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 10:40am
From the article: "Implementing the fix is expected to significantly affect the performance of the computer"

We need to watch this carefully
Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.
TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 4:01pm
Everything is screwed: http://spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf

Seems that all the wiz bang ways modern CPUs are implemented to increase execution throughput can be used as a security exploit.  This is not just tied to intel iron!  Pretty much any modern processor is affected.  I just hope this can be mitigated (love that word) without losing these CPU features.
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

Win 7 Ult 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 3:14am
<sigh> something I caught wind of a few years back.. wasn't sure if and when it might come to light.

This is like the old trick/cheats used at NASCAR https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/gallery/sprint-all-star-race-charlotte-motor-speedway-kasey-kahne-fails-truck-series-inspection-051615

Things like this go till someone gets caught.

Anyone who believes this was something that was a 'oh gosh darn!" over "Here is how much we make before its discovered and then litigate it to nothing" need a reality check. Welcome to the real world.

As for what this means for Flightsim?  Well, I can tell you this, it isn't good no matter how you slice it.

I would suggest shutting down Windows Update permanently until such time as this is hashed out.

But wait?

Are you on Windows 10? 

Well yes it can be shut down in the group policy if you have W10 pro, (or a reg hack for 'home version'), but it turns itself back on after a countdown (read the fine print). Driver updates you can stop in W10 permanently with the latest GPE additions, WU will only stave off for a time limit regardless of the settings.

I am sure at first the update that comes down the pike for this might be removable, however given the extreme access this exploit has, unless they come up with a way to maintain status quo you can bet your updates it will go to a core install that cant be removed. 

Those of us on Windows 7 x64 do not have that problem and don't face reinstalls because of it. We shut down WU, it stays OFF.

Now, with this issue... TRUE GAME titles that have been developed for the GPU wont be hindered at least no where near as much as one that still suck the life out of the CPU, require AM= edits to deal with HT and screw 60Hz monitors because of Windows Desktop Manager in fake full screen mode which was never fixed or addressed for FS<whatever>.

It might be time to call in the really big guns for Flightsim ....   EA Games or Ubisoft

LOLBeer
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Ronski Ronski wrote:

Beware of Microsoft security patches for this one.
Trust no one...

Happy new Year to all.Beer

That has to be the post of the year for 2018!!

If this follows through, I would say those who embrace the holodeck on the USS Enterprise for scenery and moved to Windows 10 are about to get a whiff of reverse engineering.

Beer

in other news, ...

right now there is a media campaign on to deal with the blowback  (no pun intended with the pic above)

Until this all gets hashed out, don't believe anything you read. The only reason this came to the surface now is because the exploit is being applied and there is a fix/solution for the security breach...  it has to be addressed.
If the exploit was not being applied and the fix had not been developed..  you would not know this issue existed.

that's how they roll
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 8:16am
Remember...   stock price tumbles/falls as well as windfalls and averting class actions are well known today as being controlled by media

The internet, TV and other modes of communication, are your friend !! Hug   Wacko 

I have some prime property for sale... you may need a buggy, airboat or heli to reach it but it's hot!   Think alligator shoes, handbags and snakeskin purses for the Mrs.. I will send samples of the gator and snake!

<jokes aside>
 I really hope this goes the other way...  but right now all I see is damage control and idiots buying into it who are scared chitless their new system is about to get neutered. No one at this time can make any call on the blowback from this. Including myself!
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 1:31pm
Edit: A couple of practical considerations it might be worth knowing...
Your anti-virus product needs to be compatible with the forthcoming MS patches. Your vendor should have info. Many should be ready by now, I know that Eset (NOD32) is.

If you are using Chrome there is a site isolation feature which would prevent a potential exploit from accessing information from outside of the current site you are viewing. This would at least stop the exploit from accessing confidential info etc. from other sites you may have visited in your browser session. This may have unwanted side-effects but can easily be turned off. To use type this in the browser address bar: chrome://flags/#enable-site-per-process

---------------------------

I did read that the processor companies must have been aware that there was a potential security issue with predicting future sequential cpu instructions and their associated memory locations but the performance gains made it worthwhile for them to ignore that in the expectation that it wouldn't be noticed enough for anyone to make a fuss? The proposed fixes sound like kludgy workarounds which would have performance implications. The kicker of course is the comment by Intel and others that 'normal' workloads wouldn't be affected enough to notice but then our workloads in the sim aren't exactly normal! Does make me wonder how the server boys are responding to this, not so well I'd imagine.

So it may be that I won't want to apply this patch and will have to keep my flight sim box relatively isolated. At least Win 7 gives me that option.

I do not go online via browser from this machine and it only has direct internet connections through the sim itself and the add-ons and other software I use and of course local networking. For web I use a laptop and virtual machine which I keep fully patched (not automatically but under my control) and I'm cautious about what I do online and how I do it as well. I will have to upgrade these to Win 10 eventually as well but at least my flight sim machine is left alone!

I also keep multiple backups, most off-line, in the form of install files and packages to cover the possible need to re-install and rebuild, but most as partition images of all my disks and drives. These are tested every so often by actually restoring...

The point of my comments are that if you have control over your computing environment and you are aware of the dangers you can be pretty safe from these threats. The alternative is leaving everything to the software companies and losing control.

I have an older iPad and iPhone which are vulnerable because I won't (and in the case of the phone can't) update to the latest iOS. But I don't use these for anything which needs to be secure and while they continue to meet my needs I'll carry on using them. So it's really a matter of risk assessment.

Like you I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how things turn out.
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64.
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 1:58pm

I see KB4056894 available for download from Windows Update.

That's not going to happen on this machine unless someone breaks off my cold dead fingers from the mouse
Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 2:08pm
LOL

And if you are still using the security-only updates it's kb4056897

I've switched to the general roll-up updates for my laptop and VM but still use the security-only versions for the flight sim box. I may give it a go in a day or two (after taking a fresh system image of course) provided there aren't too many vocal complaints about performance.
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64.
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 2:14pm
First the Windows 10 nonsense KB's a while back and now THIS. (Sigh)
Hans

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 3:50pm
Winders... yep just like white lite'nin..   some how, someway it will duck you up and make ya wish ya'never sipped the latest version or uperdates of tha brew 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

lock'em down boys and goils till this sawng  is'a played out

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 4:10pm
Locked. And it's going to take a good while before turning the key to open the door marked with Windows Update.

Hans

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 4:13pm
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 4:17pm
Sorry, just threw away the key.

We'll see   
Hans

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 4:37pm
Let it play out and monitor what is going on.

if there was ever a boogeyman with respect to CPU bound applications, this one has a basis in fact/reality

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 4:40pm
So it's finally time to pay the Piper for the (known for a looong time) sins of speculative branch execution.

One thing I know for certain from my 30+ years experience as a software engineer: given even a .001% chance that something can happen with a computer, eventually it WILL and sometimes much sooner than you'd think!!!

Looking into this last night I discovered that windows update is broken on my win7 sim platform...lucky me...I guess. Worked fine with end of Nov updates; no installs of anything since then.  Guess I now got no hurry to figure out what went wrong.
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 6:05pm
No, its time to sit back and wait without taking the media and WU bait.

Not talking about a week or a month. Lock it down and wait for the blowback then sort out the facts leaving the excrement

Ted striker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted striker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Looking into this last night I discovered that windows update is broken on my win7 sim platform...lucky me...I guess. Worked fine with end of Nov updates; no installs of anything since then.  Guess I now got no hurry to figure out what went wrong.<br>[/QUOTE Looking into this last night I discovered that windows update is broken on my win7 sim platform...lucky me...I guess. Worked fine with end of Nov updates; no installs of anything since then.  Guess I now got no hurry to figure out what went wrong.
[/QUOTE wrote:

Same thing happened to me on a couple of my Win 7 machines. Internet rumors said it was supposedly caused by a bad update from Microsoft. The scuttle butt is that a windows update file got loaded with an expiration date of December 2nd and after that da

Same thing happened to me on a couple of my Win 7 machines. Internet rumors said it was supposedly caused by a bad update from Microsoft. The scuttle butt is that a windows update file got loaded with an expiration date of December 2nd and after that date windows update stopped working. If you turn off the automatic internet time update and then set your computer date to before December 2, 2017, windows update will start working again. After the next windows update you run can then change your time settings back to automatic and current time and windows update will continue to work.

FYI, If you want windows update to work again. LOL

Ted
3770K @4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-C12P, Asus Z77-V Deluxe, Corsair 2133-9-11-10-27-2T, 780 GTX, Win7-64 on 256gb Intel SSD, FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 on 500gb Intel SSD, PC Power & Cooling 750W, Antec P193 case
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 1:35pm
Who wants to take the bait? Maybe the fix takes us back to the performance we used to see with the Core 2 duo.   LOL

Hans

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 6:43am
As far as I have understood the fix for Meltdown is an OS update, while the Spectre fix would be a BIOS update which can take longer to develop and may never be a complete fix either.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1556-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-performance-windows/
Hans

robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 9:52am
I've installed the MS patches on my laptop and VM, no noticeable hit but then these both have typical light workloads. Some reports I've seen in other forums (cough, cough Wink) from more trustworthy posters suggest no noticeable impact in P3D but these are subjective tests. To do this properly for FSX or P3D would need the 3DMark benchmark.

I'm holding off on my flight sim machine though as I've fixed what I use for web access etc. and see no reason to cause myself more trouble.

No problems installing the MS patches but I did have fun and games running a Powershell script to verify the patch was in place. You need Powershell 5 which is part of Win 8 & 10 but of course nobody mentions Win 7 much these days!

Yes, Meltdown is reportedly fixable through an OS update but Spectre is the predictive execution problem which is fundamental to the cpu design so is probably not going to be completely fixed even with firmware updates. The Powershell script shows the patch status at both software and hardware level.
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 10:45am
The MS patch installed with no issues on my W10 OS and over the past three days of flying FSX, I have not 'noticed' ANY issues regarding frame rate, stutters, or visual impact.

Whether or not there is a measurable difference between pre and post patch remains to be seen for me but why bother?  I'm certainly not unhappy with the update.  The W10 Creator's update caused me more problems than this one has.  It remains to be seen whether subsequent 'fixes' will affect my enjoyment.LOL

Brent
i7-7700K, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, Asus GeForce GTX 970, 32Gb, TM Warthog HOTAS, W10 64bit, DX10 FSX with Accel
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 1:28pm
Keep this in mind...   as Rob pointed out this isn't going to be resolved through a single patch.

As such MS is smart to push out a single patch ASAP; Reason - Aside from the fact that it makes them look good to the general public, the patch alone is not going to cause 'major' performance issues. When you consider the fact that feeding the fixes in steps from different sources with time between will make the overall impact a complete solution will invoke less noticeable by far.

Its on the same level as the old days when the 'tune-up' on your car deteriorated over time. It happened so slow over a period of time you really didn't notice performance degradation until so far out... then it got to the point where you did notice and it was time to take the car in for a tune-up.

Now imagine the same situation, but the slow degradation of performance stopped at a certain point and never got worse. You would probably go for many years thinking the car is running fine and by then be so used to the way it runs, not think anything of it.

I think the article Hans posted has some testing flaws..  first, the fact that they were pairing a i3 and a 1080, running game tiles. GPU bound games wont be affected by this anywhere near the other system impact. And, it was said at the end of the article Nvidia core will be impacted. I would rather have seen benchmarks with a correctly paired CPU/GPU.

But the most important factor is the drive results with the limited release patch work being tested and this part of the article:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing is for sure, this is a big mess that's still in the making. We'd expect further OS and BIOS updates. It’s also just the start of Intel's pain, already three class action complaints have been filed against the company over the CPU security flaws. After all, not only are these security risks a serious issue, but the impact addressing them has on businesses is also severe.

To cite an example, just before we switched our attention to testing the BIOS update, we were waist deep in Fortnite GPU benchmarking. On the last day of testing we were running into login problems, waiting 15 - 20 minutes before it was possible to load into a game. This was just a day or so after the Meltdown exploit started to get addressed, but it was no coincidence. Soon after the login problems began the Fortnite Team posted on the Epic Games forums explaning that the updates required to mitigate the Meltdown vulnerability were slowing their servers down by causing massive spikes in CPU utilization, at that point they had patched one service and that caused CPU utilization to triple.

They note there’s more pain to come but they’ll do their best to manage the situation. You’re going to keep hearing stories just like this as more companies update servers over the coming days and weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so Microsoft isn't stupid, the patch they are offering is the low-end of the totem pole and they know it isn't going to rob 20-30% of the OS performance on a typical system. They also know this is just round 1.

So the way I look at it is, end result is going to be a combination of many patches and fixes coming from several different sources as well as multiple OS updates.

They released the first one and everyone is like...   Oh, ok..  this isn't that bad it must be all hype, I wont worry about it.

I would say that is a pretty smart way to go about this.

Add it all up after the 5-9 months of 'one here, one there' the story will most likely change, but just like you didn't really see any problems with the car performance deteriorating slowly before the next tune-up, you probably won't notice much as this process unfolds.

Bottom line for me...  lock it down, wait, watch. Bypass any update or patch that includes fixes for this. At a certain point where I can test the combined package in one shot verify....  and revert easily if needed.

Ultimately this is the hardware manufacture issue and they will have to correct it directly. By the time that happens everyone will be pacified to the changes and wont notice any difference when they build new.  

... and last; This is not new. It has been known for years at the highest levels. They have all had a very long time to consider how this will be delivered and accepted by the public in a way it mitigates the impact.

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 3:34pm
There are some benchmarks where they are using the Core-i7 8700K on page 2 of the article.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1556-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-performance-windows/page2.html
Hans

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 3:35pm
I saw that..   thing is the issue should not affect typical game titles.

Its those disk benchmarks and the server deal that concern me. We all have real time disk access going on with FS(whatever) where games typically load in mapped areas

I have a tower I used for dual boot W7/10 before it was replaced.

I am going to pull that one out, update drivers and items that need it other than the last MS patch that include the vulnerability update, then run my own disk/cpu/memory and graphics tests. Install the patch and rerun.

If I read this right I realty shouldn't see much of a change unless I move to patch firmware, etc. I will post back what I find.

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 3:56pm
Hans

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 6:37pm
Well, that's the point..  This is going to be a series of changes that over time may slowly degrade different areas of performance.

I ran the compares. I do see very small changes but nothing I would consider bad or a show stopper. There is a defined confirmed difference of 1500pts in 3DM06 between W7 and W10 (W7 being better). 1500 isn't a disaster and it could change later with drivers.

At this point I can say with confidence the OS patch isn't that bad and because it does address the browser and other vulnerabilities it is probably not a bad patch to install...    however beware the Ides of March.

As all this comes down the pike and spoon fed to the public there is no telling where it will end up.

I will apply the NV patch when its released tomorrow and rerun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Ted striker Ted striker wrote:

Same thing happened to me on a couple of my Win 7 machines. Internet rumors said it was supposedly caused by a bad update from Microsoft. The scuttle butt is that a windows update file got loaded with an expiration date of December 2nd and after that date windows update stopped working. If you turn off the automatic internet time update and then set your computer date to before December 2, 2017, windows update will start working again. After the next windows update you run can then change your time settings back to automatic and current time and windows update will continue to work.

FYI, If you want windows update to work again. LOL

Ted

Thanks for that fix.  I used the "rename the C:\\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder" fix, which I've done before.  Doing this loses prior update info, though the updates installed list and its functionality remains intact.  Since the MS Win10 attempted takeover I've always used "notify to download and install" Update option,  but for now its disabled (and working if needed).

My two cents on all this mess:  Prepare yourself for a huge hardware design paradigm shift that was just aching to happen.  Welcome to the new computing world of security first, and performance relegated to second consideration. 
Rod O.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 2:21am
As promised..  I have now verified the Nvida driver results

I will spare everyone the technical mumbo-jumbo

With the OS patch on W7 and W10 I lost 1500pts 3DM06. Note: W10 always scored a bit lower than W7 on the same drivers comparing the two, but not 1500pts

After installing the latest Nvidia driver that includes the fix, There was an additional 1000pts lost in W10, W7 remained the same..  no loss.

I ran the PowerShell checks in W7 and W10...   W10 reports the patches in place, W7 required some hoops as Rob pointed out, a special script to check and verify:  

I stand by what I said..   this is being spoon-fed. I don't think there will ever be a BIOS update for older motherboards but if there is, I will look futher and test. Right now there is no question that every time one of these patches appears for a system running Windows10, the performance drops..  I can hardly wait for (if it appears) a BIOS firmware update to see what it does.

If you are on Windows7 then the OS update and Nvidia update will not change performance. You are good to go to install them. Hold off on any hardware firmware update for a while

robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 4:49am
I agree about the BIOS updates - I can't see them being developed for my Z97 board or my Thinkpad which means any patches will only ever be partially effective.

Another point to remember if you're on Win 7 and applying the roll-up updates is that these are cumulative so you will get whatever patches have been pushed out to date and can't separate out anything that might not be wanted. The security-only updates are bundled for that month only so offer a little more choice over what gets installed but do have their drawbacks (like bugged patches not being fixed as each month is independent). Using this method does take extra effort and vigilance as well.

My strategy of keeping web facing stuff etc. on the periphery does seem to be viable for the forseeable future at least. And I'll have a baseline system to really compare performance in a few months time if that's how it goes. LOL
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 11:09am
I'll rerun my tests again later today just to make sure I didn't miss anything and also run a few driver flush installs to confirm same result.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by robmw robmw wrote:

I agree about the BIOS updates - I can't see them being developed for my Z97 board or my Thinkpad which means any patches will only ever be partially effective.

Exactly and that is what is kinda silly about all this, the majority of the computers out there are not new. There are millions of them in offices that go back some years.

EDIT: See my next post   guess what   LOL!

I did a driver cleaner flush on both OS installs. I usually don't use that tool except when I am testing for something like this. The 3DM06 scores were the same in W7 however they went up in W10 to within -300pts of the test run done before the patched driver.

I ran these tests over and over and there can always be a margin that goes up or down but I always end up with a small range that doesn't change and average remains fairly constant.

There is definitely a small drop with the latest NV patched driver in W10, but not significant. The W7 results remained linear without change. There is no question that there is 1500-1700pt difference between W7 and W10 (W7 being higher).

I do not think this is the end of OS and driver patches either.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 2:36pm
Well, here it is.... 

Looks like have a means to patch up individual setups but one must be very careful to select the correct version.
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 2:49pm
Asus list of motherboards which I believe they are working on:

https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6myCC1o2

For now, it looks like the 6th generation of Intel core processors (Skylake) is the oldest they develop updates for. I guess I am out of luck on this one.

Hans

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Fly happy Fly happy wrote:

I guess I am out of luck on this one.

you might actually be IN LUCK  LOL

I wouldn't put it past Intel/Microsoft to try and use this to force major companies to buy new systems and update to Windows10

Funny, according to this tool from Intel it says my older system is not vulnerable https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27150?v=t

Bert Pieke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Pieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 5:23pm
Mine is "not vulnerable" as well which sounds nice, but is this not only one of two recently discovered security problems (Meltdown and Spectre)?
Bert
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 5:57pm
Actually, I believe that is correct...  the tool checks for vulnerabilities in the Intel Management Engine the other exploits can take advantage of.

So it is still a good idea to run that tool and confirm the IME version is not vulnerable.

Apparently there is a heck of a lot more to this than just the OS or processor patches
Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 11:39pm
In addition to the probably nonupdateable (is that a word...) rig for Flight Simulator, I have an MSI notebook with a Skylake chip running Windows 10 which I use for other work than Flight Simulator, which I will update with everything available. So I have been watching MSI support pages for some time and the BIOS update for the Management Engine (Intel SA-00086) was released in December for my Notebook while the Spectre update is yet to be released.

https://www.msi.com/news/detail/tbzkKfKPAi1ALASqaWkS99rxLH-FNw7O9AC8b2jsPHSoz1kSuAag52YLmCGiuuD9LhFJ7_wgczjFmbrnR5UGCA~~

And regarding the Spectre update, MSI seems as Asus to limit the fix to Skylake and newer, plus X99.

https://www.msi.com/news/detail/aXllDfIKThULP6RyYHiRWTFc_UGgEdP8s1rsWTGJDd1hcpiH7qwHZ_fx5YIAmMDKqzjifhwIhC9G_KZVVW_xqw~~
Hans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic