SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Scenery and Mission Making Tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Instant Scenery and FSX SE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Instant Scenery and FSX SE
    Posted: December-04-2016 at 4:22pm
Can anybody help with a problem of IS3 not showing in the addons dropdown of FSX SE please ?

Following a previous post in these forums. I purchased IS3 and installed it on my PC.  However when I open FSX SE, IS3 does not show in the add-ons drop down.

Following advice from Flight1 I've re-installed it, shut down my firewall and antivirus, and run it as an administrator all without result.

I really want to continue to use this programme, but am on the point of asking for a refund unless I can get it all working in the next few days.

Any help appreciated.

peterc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 9:49am
As I had no replies to this post, I thought I'd try a full re-install of the software, but Instant Scenery is still not showing under the addons tab.

The re-install went as follows, and if anybody can see where the problem might be, please let me know:

1.  Dissabled Firewall and antivirus

2.  Downloaded and ran the Instant Scenery 3 package (as Administrator) which unpacked into:
 "c:\Programme Files (x86)\Instant Scenery 3" .
The package size was 37.3 Mb.

3.  At this point the Module installer opened showing the FSX Path as:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

4.  After pressing OK on the moduleinstaller I got the following message on the screen:
Installing the FSX Module...
c:\users\pete\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\dll.xml

The next message is:
The module "Instant Scenery" was installed to dll.xml Setting the registry value "Software\Flight1\Instant Scenery\SetupPath" to "c:\Program Files (x86)\Instant Scenery 3" ......done

I then reset the firewall and antivirus and ran FSX...........nothing !!!!
I'm running Windows 10 if that has any effect.

After looking at some other posts on this subject, I checked the dll.xml, and this is what I found:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Instant Scenery</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Instant Scenery 3\InstantSceneryFSX.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

I'm beginning to lose the will to live, so if anybody can help it would be appreciated. Cry

peterc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peterc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 7:00pm
Well.....I was really ready to give up on Instant Scenery, but I've surprised myself and managed to sort this out on my own, and for anyone else who might have a problem this is how I fixed it.

1.  If IS3 is your only Addon programme go to
 c:\users\your name\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\dll.xml
 and copy/paste the complete dll.xml file to
c:\users\your name\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\
Job done.  Instant Scenery 3 now shows in your "Addon" tab in FSX SE.

2. If however you have other programmes (eg:FSUIPC) which are already listed on the "Addon" tab in FSX SE then you need to go to
c:\users\your name\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\dll.xml
Right click on the dll.xml and select "Edit" and you should see the following text:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Instant Scenery</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Instant Scenery 3\InstantSceneryFSX.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Select and copy the text in red.
Now go to

c:\users\your name\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml
right click and select edit, and paste the copied text to the foot of the page BUT IMMEDIATELY  BEFORE the words </SimBase.Documents>

Save and restart FSX SE and you will find all your original addons with Instant Senery at the foot of the list.

Needless to say, remember to back up your original dll files before attempting this fix

I Hope this might help somebody in the future

genosoro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genosoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 4:34am
Thank you peterc, I spent hours trying to figure this out, and was beginning to get pissed that I spent money on Instant Scenery 3 for no reason, just because I have steam edition of FSX. But your tip fixed the issue. Smile
roymonty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roymonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2017 at 10:28am
Just a message to thank you for your help. I have also managed to install IS3 successfully on my computer. However, may I assist any future persons which like myself I found needed a little clarification.

Although you identified the correct path as listed, in my case No.2, I could not find the path
c:\Users\your name\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\dll.xml.

Essentially I decided to search for the file dll.xml on my computer(Windows 10). In the search box to the bottom left of your screen I typed dll,xml. It posted me directly to the net whereby the first option was excellent. Apparently PMDG users have issues but it showed how to find this file.
It was in Hidden Files. It gives clear directions what to do following a couple of steps. Done!
the path above showed up in Users as above.

Now the clarification as of my part. I right clicked on the file Edit (opened with Notepad) the text showed up as being complete (nothing needed pasting) it simply needed to be copied and pasted from the FSX-SE folder to FSX folder. Re started computer.

Hope this assists.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic