SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going totally nuts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hey_moe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going totally nuts
    Posted: December-17-2010 at 5:59pm
I have been banging my head against the computer. I have downloaded and installed this program 3 times. All works great until I try and install FEX_SHD,  after that I get the famous error code 7 and then when trying to load the change texture, I get the message some data file is damaged, what ever. Anyway I have tried just about everything I can think of including removing half of my memory. This happens in both XP Pro/32 bit and W7/64 bit. What is the work around...Mike / File C:\Program Files ( x86 )\Flight One Software\Flight Environment X data/water/Wave\wave_Subtle Crests.datis corrupted.Length of the data to decrypt is invailad
DenisH View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2010 at 6:40pm
I have had FEX for over a month and haven't yet enjoyed it. I downloaded it fine but when I go to launch it after choosing and installing textures I get a message that I have "insufficient" screen resolution.  This is nonsense since I am running my resolution at peak number -- 1920 x 1080. I have  many F1 and Carenado products and have no problems with any of them. My pleas for assistance from Flight 1 tech people  seems to fall on deaf ears. I am having to get an puter expert in but am almost positive now the problem is with my FEX program. I deduce this from the error message which reads in full and verbatim as follows: "FEX must be run at a screen resolution of 1024x768, FEX will now close".  In other words, I was in FEX but it closed because of my screen resolution.    I have  been in this  several times asking for assistance and have got no help. This problem is probably in the FEX program itself, and not in my puter. I am going as nuts as you are! Fifty bucks down the drain!  After spending hundreds on Flt 1 and sister company products I am totally disillusioned. I  wonder if I should return the DVD and have it checked at Flight 1? I would even let them into my puter for remote help. I just want to use  a program I bought in good faith more than a month ago. Jeff Smith? You listening?
Steve Halpern View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2010 at 8:20pm

Are you talking about the FEX SHD update? Do not install that. Actually, that is no longer supported. You should get the newest FEX from Flight.com.

Steve

Steve Halpern View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2010 at 8:26pm
Dennis,

Are you running default 96dpi fonts? Try another resolution and see what happens.

Something about your system is making FEX think you are not at the proper resolution. I have never heard of this before, so I am not sure what is causing it.

Do you have multi-monitors setup? Or just one?
Steve

DenisH View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2010 at 9:21pm
Steve: Very grateful for your prompt response.  No. The FEX i have is  boxed DVD version bought a month or so ago from PCAviator. I have provided my computer system and order numbers in earlier posts  in this forum I am using just one monitor, a fairly new Samsung. This is the only time I have encountered this mysterious resolution problem. Just yesterday I downloaded an aircraft from Carenado and installed it without problems.  As for resolution, when this problem first presented itself I changed all screen resolutions beginning with the top number and working downward. As I've explained in many earlier posts, I am new to computers  but this resolution thing is inexplicable.  Maybe it's an anamoly?  Can it be a defective DVD?  Can I return it and have it checked?  Or perhaps you have some tech wizard on staff who can come in and try to fix this by remote? I'm open to anything at this point.
Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2010 at 10:10pm
Denis
You are running Windows 7 64 -bit I think. 
If you go into Control Panel Display what does it say under Set Custom Size (DPI). 
If not Set the figure to 100%.  (you can change it later)
Under Resolution does it give 1900 x 1200 (recommended) if not what is the recommended figure?  Is that definitely the same resolution in FSX?
Under adjust Clear Type text - Do you have "Turn on Clear Type" ticked?
Under control panel, Fonts choose, Font Settings and click 'Hide Fonts based on Language Settings' and click 'Restore Default Font Settings'.
In control panel, Programs and Features is 'Flight Environment X" listed?
Do you have a specific monitor driver or the Windows default installed?
Is UAC turned on?
What antivirus program is on the system?
Have you tried copying the DVD contents to the HDD and installing from there?

Regards
PeterHSmile

Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
DenisH View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2010 at 11:38am
Peter: Hello and happy Christmas. Yes, I am on Windows 7 64 bit. Will work on your suggestions and get back to  you, probably tomorrow.   Somewhat pressed for time today. Thanks again for the guidance.   D
DenisH View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 2:25pm
Hi Peter: I checked the contol panel as you suggested and to answer your questions in the sequence above:
1.DPC settings:  setting was 150 and I changed it to 100, as you suggested.
2.Under resolution, does not give 1900x1200 as recommended setting-- rather,  my recommended setting was 1920x1080. I left this unchanged.
3. Yes,  "Turn on clear type" was clicked.
4. Under font settings, I clicked both settings as you suggested.
5. Yes, FEX is listed in my control panel "programs".
6. I used a separate disc to install my monitor.
7. Is UAC turned on? Forgive my ignorance but I don't know UAC  means.  
8. I use Norton anti-virus, which I disabled along with any microsoft security settings when I installed FEX originally.
9. Copying. I don't know how to copy to HDD  (do you mean hard drive?) Once again, I am fairly new to the computer world, unfortunately. 

Hope this helps. 
Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 4:24pm
Hi Denis
2.Under resolution, does not give 1900x1200 as recommended setting-- rather,  my recommended setting was 1920x1080. I left this unchanged. 
OK we need to ascertain what the recommended setting is and in the dropdown it will give a recommended setting and we need the monitor resolution to be at that in both Windows and FSX. Click on that Resolution button again and choose the setting that states (recommended).  Make sure that if you get a message about not keeping the setting you tick that you do want to keep the setting.Smile
5. We must fully uninstall the 'old' FEX before we re install the new one on your DVD.  So in the start menu choose 'All programs' and find Flight One Software then FEX and choose FEX Uninstall and allow it to uninstall.  Or uninstall via the Control Panel and Programs.
Go back to start menu choose 'All programs' then "Accesories' then 'System Tools' then disk cleanup and run that and delete all files that it finds.  Now, download a little program called CC Cleaner from the Web and run 'Cleaner' and then run 'Registry' and for the latter save the 'backup file'.
This would be a good point to defrag the HDDCry
7. For UAC just go to the start programs and in 'Search programs and files' type in UAC you will see Change User Account Control Settings click on it and move the slider to 'Never Notify' press OK you'll get lots of warnings ignore them.  RESTART your PC!
Now when you reinstall FEX try to make sure you install it as the administrator ie if there is a setup.exe file on the DVD right click on it and choose 'Run as administratotr'

You can switch UAC back on when you have finished but it is really not needed on a home PC where you are the onlp person installing software.
That's enough for now!LOL
Regards
PeterH
PS Are you on SKYPE?

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
DenisH View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 7:21am
Peter: A "eureka moment". Your  suggestions re the font sizes seemed to do the trick. The "insufficient resolution" message has disappeared and I can now log on directly to FEX. Many, many thanks.  Now I'll work on installing the textures. I'm having some difficulties with security settings but that has no connection to FS or FEX.  Once again, thanks for the guidance!!!!   Denis
Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 2:36pm
Denis
Great news - glad it worked.
PeterSmile

DenisH View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 3:18pm
Peter: You solved a mystery worthy of Sherlock himself. I am gonna follow your advice and re-install FSX since  my "Setup.exe" has gone missing, a problem I understand is common to Windows 7.  Once again, many thanks for your assistane and have a wonderful holiday.
Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 3:34pm
Denis
Thanks I think Steve helped quite a bit too! "Are you running default 96dpi fonts? Try another resolution and see what happens"
Glad to have helped.Tongue
PeterH

DenisH View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 4:59pm
Peter: Needless to say, my thanks also to Steve and Jeff. Sorry if I was rude -- it came from great  frustration. My apologies. I know you guys can be swamped with all sorts of customer complaints and cries de couer (if you will forgive my rotten French).  I'm grateful for all your help. Happy holidays!  Denis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic