SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flight Environment X 2.0.0.4 Beta for FSX/Prepar3D
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flight Environment X 2.0.0.4 Beta for FSX/Prepar3D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flight Environment X 2.0.0.4 Beta for FSX/Prepar3D
    Posted: February-09-2016 at 9:39pm
Flight Environment X 2.0.0.4 Beta for FSX/Prepar3D

This (beta) version of FEX allows you to use Flight Environment X in multiple simulators, including Prepar3D and FSX Steam. FEX 2.0.0.4 has not been broadly tested, so use at your own risk, and make sure you use the interface to create any needed backups before installing any textures.

To install, locate your current Flight Environment X.exe file, rename it (do not overwrite it), and put the new version in its place. You must have version 2.0.0.3 already installed. See http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=flt1fex for more info if you are not running 2.0.0.3 already.

Note: Backups for the same simulator “family” are merged into the same folder, in subfolders. For example, FSX Boxed and FSX Steam will use the same parent backup folder, but you can name via the Options screen your individual backups to any backup you are creating (each backup except the “Initial Backup” are saved in their own subfolders of the parent folder). The same goes for Prepar3D. Prepar3D v1, v2, and v3 all go into the same backup folder, with individual subfolders to designate the backup you create.

Our suggestion regarding P3D is to experiment around with what settings are appropriate. Also, please report your beta findings at SimForums.

We believe FEX still provides some of the most remarkable visual options available for the FSX/Prepar3D product line, and we are excited to bring this beta version out which expands the use of the product into multiple simulators.

There still may be changes during the update process, so stay tuned for any updates.

Click here to download (725kb)

Flight Environment X is Copyright 2016 by Flight One Software

Steve

Steve Halpern View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2016 at 3:37pm
Here is a picture from a large double-wide screen display in Prepar3D 3.1. A small version is included below, and a link to a very large version is below that...

Here is the full version... (right-click and select Save As to view in large format in your image viewer).

uploads/1/FEXP3D3.jpg

Steve

kkillstr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kkillstr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 2:40pm
Excellent news! Despite the age, still the greatest texture addon there is!

-Kimmo
Psybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2016 at 1:23pm
New hope for the dead! Clap
Win 10x64-256GB 840Pro | P3Dv3.4-512GB 850Pro
Z270 XPower Titanium i7-7700K @4.7GHz-H115i | 32GB TridentZ @3200MHz 14-14-14-34-2N
GTX1070 Quicksilver 378.78
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2016 at 5:11pm
FEX is still quite amazing (likely even more when you are looking for an exact look and you dive into the designers). Even in P3D V3 it transforms the skies into some remarkable visuals... but of course I am a little biased Smile. You could have still used the previous version with some tricks, but this new version makes it much easier.
Steve

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2016 at 10:46am
Small update:

1. Minor interface changes.
2. Switching simulator modes did not always show correct backups.

Just re-download and overwrite your existing beta version using the original download link at the top of this thread.
Steve

Stoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2016 at 7:46pm
Would like to thank you very much for getting FEX compatible with FSX:SE.    I built a new system a year ago and did a reinstall of FSX, but decided to go with the Steam edition to keep current and get some of the benefits of easier install, etc.    It was truly heartbreaking to find out that my two favorite programs, FEX and FS-Recorder, were the *only*things that did not work on Steam edition!

No issues getting FEX installed and updated to 2.0.0.4, and after figuring out how to revert back all the other texture and shader changes that I'd installed trying to get something similar to FEX water textures (nothing I tried, payware and freeware, shader mods etc. came even close!) I am back in business with that great FEX water.

Great job!!!!

Thumbs Up
Simjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2016 at 4:45pm
Nice.  Great news that you've updated FEX for all the Sims.

I've got a problem though ... reinstalled FEX (not in the Programsx86 folder) and updated to v2.0.0.3 but cant get the v2.0.0.4 beta to run - I get the following error...
Windows 7 64.

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: flight environment x.exe

Problem Signature 02: 2.0.0.4

Problem Signature 03: 56c059f8

Problem Signature 04: mscorlib

Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 53a12268

Problem Signature 07: 15e

Problem Signature 08: 1f

Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentOutOfRange

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Any Ideas?

Regards,
Paul.
Eternity Drags
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2016 at 12:27pm
Paul,

You can try to re-download it again. I just made a compiler setting that could make a difference.

It may also have to be in the default Program Files (x86) folder, as it is a 32 bit application.

If the fresh download does not work, reinstall it to the Program Files (x86) folder. If that does not work something may not be right with your .NET components. You would then maybe need to repair .NET 3.5. See the following (but do your own research)...

See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Steve

Simjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2016 at 3:35pm
Thanks Steve.  The new beta 2.0.0.4 .exe file worked like a charm.

I had already uninstalled and reinstalled into the default x86 folder but the previous beta still gave me the same error.  As I said, this one works.

Regards,
Paul.
Eternity Drags
vince carlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vince carlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2016 at 1:12pm
Thanks loads F1 !

You need to announce this on the major sites !  Found out today from my VA.  FEX was ALWAYS my favorite until I moved to Prepar3D Smile
ryanbATC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanbATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2016 at 2:58pm
Cripes... I hung on for years thought it was dead and only recently bought REX4...

ugh.

Thanks for the update still!
TymK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TymK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2016 at 3:37pm
Still my favorite for clouds and skies, it's great to be able to use it in P3D without clumsy workarounds. "Naturally Dense 2" (not included in the original content, see the "Cloud Themes" section, page 9) is my all-time favorite cloud theme.

Is there any chance for further development of this project? An alternative to REX is badly needed... Wink

Tym
pscharff View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pscharff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by vince carlo vince carlo wrote:

FEX was ALWAYS my favorite until I moved to Prepar3D Smile

Same here.
It would be great, if this product will be further developed in the future.

Patric
vince carlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vince carlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 2:40pm
... maybe I'm day dreaming but... reality is ...FEX is released for P3D... should I possibly wish for a Citation Mustang in Prepar3D ? Ermm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2016 at 10:10am
In regards to future development for FEX...

There is most likely not a lot of development needed, because the "development" is in the tools already provided. Meaning, there are many options to create so many variations of clouds/water, etc. What works best with P3D for example may vary from FSX. A fair amount of experimentation may be required based on what the customer setup is.

This is not to say there would never be tweaks here and there, but the main thing was getting it up to speed without many workarounds. That is what the beta is for. The beta will be added to the full version at some point, hopefully pretty soon.

Steve

Jean-Jacques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean-Jacques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2016 at 10:46am
"In regards to future development for FEX...

There is most likely not a lot of development needed, . . ."

Hi Steve,

I couldn't agree more with the reasons you've given for making that statement. FEX has always my favourite and very pleased that the utility is now available for P3D. My sincere thanks to you and anyone else involved with making that happen.

Jean-Jacques Malette
Jean-Jacques
CYND Gatineau-Ottawa Executive Airport
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Server Computer (Home build) W7 64 Professional / i7-2700K (OC'd 4.7 GHz)
Client Computer (Dell) W7 64 Ultimate / i7 965
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2016 at 9:41am
The full build has now been posted, with an automatic updater if you have 2.0.0.1 to 2.0.0.3. If you have one of these earlier versions, you just need the update, not the full download. This installs the same EXE version as the last beta posted here.

Thanks to all that tested!

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=flt1fex

Steve

Adamski_NZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2016 at 11:26pm
Steve - great to see FEX is still alive. Thanks for 2.0.0.4!

I'm really struggling with P3D's "blobby cotton wool" clouds and FEX greatly reduces this "cheesy" (badly coded) effect. FEX is *much* better in this respect than the other popular application (we know who that is).

FEX gives you so much more *control*. However - I have a question:

Will FEX be updated in any way to be compatible with the latest (arrgh!) P3Dv3.2.2 update?

I think the water animation coding/effects have changed. At the moment, I'm not seeing any changes in P3Dv3.2.2 when I switch water animations in FEX. Clouds etc. work fine. I clear the shaders cache in P3D for each test.

Adam.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2016 at 10:13am
Hi,

I am not sure about water animations but can maybe look into it to see if any tweaks apply. I have used P3D with scaled back water because I found it more realistic, and the default water was not very realistic with affects that detracted from the overall appearance.

Mess around with the water sliders in P3D (moving them to the left), and see if you get a more realistic water while in flight and altitude.

If you read http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115272 you will see that P3D is not the same as FSX, so it could be that some of the effects will not match what you were used to in other sims.
Steve

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2016 at 10:28am
Prepar3D v3 changes wave animations and therefore the wave effects designed into FEX may not work the same as FSXFSXSE

May require a compete redesign of the wave animation generation system in FEX. All other features should work the same however shaders in P3D have also been changed meaning the water tone/colors may appear somewhat different in P3D as compared to the look in the FEX GUI and in FSX/FSXSE for water color/tone

P3D runs water far darker than FSX/FSXSE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2016 at 10:30am
Hi Steve - thanks for jumping in on this one.

FEX water themes used to work fine in all P3D versions prior to this latest 3.2.2, where they don't appear to "take" at all. I seem to remember water animation being one of the things on LM's list of revisions (though I'm not sure). So ... if you're testing, make sure you're in P3Dv3.2.2.

I know exactly what you mean about P3D water effects. They've always been well below FSX quality, IMHO. I generally go for "Medium" or "High". "Ultra" looks dreadful (to my eyes).                                           
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2016 at 11:19am
OK. Have not tried 3.2.2... Will likely do so later in the week.
Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2016 at 11:34am
Brave man!! A few developers are still doing "catch-ups" (FSPassengers, REX), but other than that, I've had no issues with 3.2.2. ORBX took only a day or two to update their ObjectFlow.dll, so all their scenery is OK now.
TymK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TymK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2016 at 11:37am
I have to agree with Adam on most counts.

Regarding water, I stick to "Medium" as "Ultra" makes the reflections dull, plus the 3D animations, while much improved since the early v2 attempts, still look very artificial to me. "High" introduces a rapidly moving specular (?) layer that ruins the effect at low altitudes.

I'll have to keep experimenting as my early tests might've been influenced by WaterConstants edits. I reset my WaterConstantsV3.Xml to default and it seems the water animations "work" in the sense that there is a visible difference between various types of animations, but the way it now works in V3 is quite different. There are "bands" of animation that move in opposite directions. This causes issues where they overlap, causing the animations to interfere with each other, and even cancel each other out. It's difficult to capture in a screen shot, but here's an example (click for full size):

As far as clouds are concerned, I've used "Naturally Dense" ever since I discovered it back in 2012, thanks Nick! Wink

If you are considering any improvements, I have one minor suggestion regarding the Main page/browser: whenever you select a page in one of the sections ("Cloud Themes", etc.), the view gets reset to top of the page, which makes it difficult to browse the various user themes. When you click "Return" after viewing the details of a theme, the view also resets to the top of the page, plus the list you are browsing is reset to page 1.

Another thing, but I suspect this is way beyond the scope of a point update, would be to include the ability to edit the "environment pixels" in sky themes. In P3D v2/v3, the themes and the pixels have even greater impact on the overall lighting/coloring of the scenery, so it'd be a big bonus to be able to manipulate them.

Thanks again for bringing FEX back! Smile
Tym
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 4:57pm
Thanks for the feedback Tym. We can maybe look into that Return item you mention.

I did install 3.2 of P3D and did have water effects, including movement of the surface. I do run UTX USA. I did have shoreline waves, and in the waterway's in this picture, water would swirl making it look realistic.

But, I am not sure what is missing or not to be honest, as I am more on the interface side of things. I will say I was pleased with the water effects.

Here is a pic... it is widescreen as it was taken via a double wide system.

Steve

TymK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TymK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 5:22pm
Hi Steve,

To be honest, the animation thing is more of a 'technical' observation, it really doesn't bother me too much when I'm flying. Your shot looks even better, which preset is that? (Mine was "Medium Pacific".)

At any rate, I may be repeating myself here, but it's great that the product is getting a second lease of life now with P3D... Smile

Cheers,
Tym
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 8:50pm
Here are the settings used for that picture... It was taken at Dawn also.

Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 11:24pm
Thanks, Steve! Hmmm ... I'm still not seeing any difference in the water textures. I installed the them above and cleared the shaders cache etc. Sky and clouds changed but the water looks pretty well identical. Can't remember which pic is which, but one was your theme, the other was mine - with "Medium Pacific".

My water themes have been "Medium Pacific", "Small Frost" - or even "Storm Rugged" - but they all look like the pics above.

Adam.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 12:29am
As I mentioned above, Prepar3D doesn't use the original FSX method to produce wave effects and therefore FEX wont control them as well or the same.. In Prepar3D the wave effects will differ based on altitude and level of water detail slider but the original OceanHeight20FieldLayer files are not the single primary control anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 1:12am
OK - understood, thanks Nick. Any chance of FEX being re-worked to support P3Dv3.2 water at all, Steve?

Adam.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 4:02am
Everything else works in FEX but the wave animation 100%... although with water/sky you will find that because of the shader changes in P3D the themes as shown in the interface will have somewhat different look in the sim.

Water will always be far darker than what the GUI displays. Sky and clouds however will be close to what is seen in the GUI.

Prepar3D v3 is DX11 and the recoded shaders as well as water effects, therefore FEX out of the box when it comes to making your own themes with color/tone/brightness will require some trial and error to tweak..   themes wont look exactly the same in the sim as in the GUI...   that's not a FEX issue, its P3D with respect to how shaders were changed. LM is not using the same standard like FSX did and therefore what you see in the GUI will never look 'exactly' the same in the FEX application.

The wave animation system would have to be completely recoded from the ground up to work 100% in the latest P3D releases. The animations are there, just masked by the water code changes for waves

Personally I use exactly what I used in FSX with the themes I listed. The clouds and sky as far as I am concerned are perfect, the water unfortunately is darker and just the way it is, it works for me.

I don't change themes anyway.. haven't in many years

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 5:21am
Nick I agree. I also hardly ever change my themes. A decent theme usually works across the board for most scenery in all weather conditions. I have OPUS as a weather engine and usually fly with live weather, so no two sessions are ever the same.

The problem I found with P3D water from the very beginning (apart from the oily black mess when looking down) is the relative wave texture size. Not the animated ripples - the static pseudo waves that don't seem to scale properly with distance. REX does this a lot better - and you can *almost* get back to FSX-style water.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 10:50am
In P3D the wave height and pattern is visually higher and more apparent when water is set to "Low" and becomes gradually smoother from the setting MED through ULTRA

The higher the water setting the smoother and more localized the wave effect

I keep mine on MED with terrain/vehicle reflections enabled only

FEX animations are present, its just that with the extended changes in P3D to wave animations they are not anywhere near as obvious.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic