SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FEX water does not have white caps?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infall@msn.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FEX water does not have white caps?
    Posted: December-27-2013 at 11:40pm
Hello,

I just got Flight Environment X for Christmas. I really am enjoying it! Seems to have little to no impact on my Frames and the clouds are amazing.

But I do have a question. I have went through the water options and they all seem to be missing the DX10 whitecaps that use to be on the water.

Is there a option to have them show again? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help and info!
Specs:IntelCore i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E / 3.6GHz, Cache 10MB L3 cache, Liquid cooled. 32GB RAM, Video cards: 3GB AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950x2,Hard drives: 500GB Samsung Pro SSD, 2TB HDD, Win7Pro 64Bit
Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2013 at 12:07am
Infall
As far as I remember FEX textures were not designed specifically for FSX DX10 but for the default DX9.0c. So some effects that you might see in DX10 mode may not display the same as in the "native" DX9.0c mode.
By using the Designer you can design some pretty good waves (eg start with "Crests" or "Big Swells") in the wave patterns and use that in your overall water). I have designed (ages ago now lost to posterity due to a computer crash) some pretty rough and realistic water, but it takes time to get it right and it may depend, on many parameters and which theme you use to modify the water theme(s).
I guess that you have downloaded some custom built water themes from the FEX website via the FEX menu? There are some great ones there to use and/or modify.
Regards
pH
Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
infall@msn.com View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infall@msn.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2013 at 2:30pm
Thanks Phase. 

Now with the Steve Parsons DX10 fix and that FSX is completely DX10 now..that is sort of disappointing. 

However, I must admit that you are correct in saying that the water options are still pretty amazing. I think the missing white caps can be overlooked considering how cool FEX is.

I do hope they make a update and bring in some DX10 textures that use the DX10. That would be a great update! : )

Thanks for the info! Very much appreciated!
Specs:IntelCore i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E / 3.6GHz, Cache 10MB L3 cache, Liquid cooled. 32GB RAM, Video cards: 3GB AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950x2,Hard drives: 500GB Samsung Pro SSD, 2TB HDD, Win7Pro 64Bit
infall@msn.com View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infall@msn.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 3:54pm
I stand corrected.... With the Steve Fix. FEX DOES have whitecaps. They are just very small and not as prominent. 

This is really a great Add-on worth every penny!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic