SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FEX & Steam Edition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FEX & Steam Edition
    Posted: June-28-2015 at 6:32pm
If I point FEX to the SE path C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE will it work installing textures?

Thanks
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 6:28pm
Hello,

FEX will not work with FSX-SE as it is not compatible with this platform.

Sorry,
Keep the Blue Side UP! - Flight1 Sales / Customer Support
DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 6:35pm
OK Cry thanks
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 8:05pm
Hmmm   not sure if that is true

I just opened the FSX interface and in the settings it accepted the switch to the FSXSE since all it appears to look for is FSX.exe

If you have FEX you may want to just try that first

I ran my selections and it appeared to work here

I know it wont work with Prepar3D but it does appear to work with FSXSE as long as they don't do away with the target folder structure and FSX.exe
DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 9:49pm
Looks like I started the post with the wrong path Embarrassed
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
thanks Nick Beer
DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 10:54pm
Works just fine and looks great

Thanks! again Nick Big smile
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 10:56pm
Thought so

But if they end up at one point changing folder structure down the road, it wont work anymore

Right now its simply a matter of changing the target in the options.

DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 11:12pm
well I hope they don't make those changes, still have the boxed version on another drive when I fly solo.
Really only use SE for the multiplayer with friends, and with GEX, UTX,FEX installed it's even better. 

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2015 at 11:24pm
If they still have the online system functioning will find my sky/water/clouds in the list of themes offered too, but the water requires my custom shader edits to really pop

Clouds: Naturally Dense 2

Water: NicksNaturalWonder3

Water Animation: Medium Pacific

Sky: Realistic Blues
electric man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 2:54am
Hi Nick, where can we find these shader edits? your themes are still downloadable with FEX, no problem there.

Herman
DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by electric man electric man wrote:

Hi Nick, where can we find these shader edits? your themes are still downloadable with FEX, no problem there.

Herman

I think you'll find them here, unless Nick is talking about a different post. 
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 6:21pm
Yes that's it but that was 5 years ago and the web system no longer exists that has the shader edit file

The THEMES I posted there have been edited/updated too..  better versions are in the FEX system through that interface

That and I don't use ENB anymore due to finding out the issues with it and the sim with respects to crashing and stability, but I still use my shader files for FSX/FSXSE

They wont work in P3D, different code

I will post new links later when I get home but don't use the files in that old thread if they are still live

Instructions are the same
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 10:11pm

Every screenshot you have ever seen me make since 2010 has the FEX themes I posted above in it with my shader edits in play

Clouds: Naturally Dense 2

Water: NicksNaturalWonder3

Water Animation: Medium Pacific

Sky: Realistic Blues

This is my water shader file made ONLY FOR the FEX water theme NicksNaturalWonder3 listed above: http://gex.flight1.net/forumimages/Nicks_Shader_Edits.zip

NOTE: This is for DX9 only and will do nothing in DX10

Instructions:

Unzip file

Browse to: Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\Terrain  (or the FSXSE version same folder)

Find the file named: Water20.fxh and BACK IT UP

Drop my custom Water20.fxh file into the  Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\Terrain directory overwritting the original

THEN

With HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS disabled in Windows..

Browse to:
C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Terrain <----- OPEN this folder

BACK UP the contents of that Terrain folder just in case (just a precaution)

Then DELETE everything in that Terrain folder

When you boot FSX it will rebuild the shader files in that folder

Reverse process to RESTORE original

NOTE: The shader changes make 2xLow look like 2xMED and 2xMED look like 2xHIGH but without running the next level up. 2xMAX looks just ridiculously awesome at water level in a float plane.. but really? other than screenshot bragging at water elevation, its not worth the shader pass above 2xLow/Med anyway  LOL    It also fixes the moon at night and the ridiculous reflections it makes as well as the hard cloud reflections that are so bad.
DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 11:47pm
Nick what setting in Opus for default surface visibility do you use, found one that works best with your shader settings?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 11:51pm
That does not matter, the shader only effects water

60 miles is my preferred setting regardless and let the weather itself do the rest
electric man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 2:10am
Okay done, thanks a lot Nick

Herman
DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 7:08am
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

That does not matter, the shader only effects water

60 miles is my preferred setting regardless and let the weather itself do the rest

yeah, I was just curious of the over all look you go for sense I have your sky, clouds etc. installed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic