SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > FS Panel/Sound Studio Forums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

error #15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcboliveira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: error #15
    Posted: March-25-2003 at 3:01am

Hi

I was trying to change one thing on the new FSD comandeer but panel studio crashed when trying to load the gauges. The error was #15.

Best

Josť

Ed Struzynski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Struzynski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2003 at 12:41pm
Unfortunately FSD is using a copy protection scheme in its Commander 115 Gauges. When FSPS tries to load a Gauge, the copy protection code takes over control and crashes the program. I'm looking into workarounds at this time.

Ed Struzynski
Steve Small View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Small Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2003 at 3:26am

Ed,

FSD is reluctantly following an increasing trend towards software protection because - like many other developers - we are tired of the widespread piracy of our hard work.

FSD have worked very hard, and long, to implement both secure delivery and product registration / protection systems.  With the product only days old, I am sorry to learn you are already looking at means to defeat the protection systems we use in our products.

Rgds,

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Struzynski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2003 at 12:34pm

As a software author, I certainly respect the rights of other authors to protect their software, and have no interest in FS Panel Studio being used as a tool for piracy.

However, I would like to allow owners of the FSD 115 to be able to customize thier panels -- thus I'm hoping for a workaround which can satisfy both camps!

89kraus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89kraus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2003 at 12:42pm

Well Steve,

I am both an owner of the gmax Commander 115TC and FSPanel Studio.  Part of the reason for my purchase FSPanel Studio to modify panels  for my own personal use.  Obviously it is copyright infrigment to distribute the mods, but why can't those who have paid for your Commander (like myself)modify the files that we buy. 

As long as we don't upload our mods it souldn't be a problem.  Honestly, I have already modified the panel by hand, swaping out gauges, but there are things that I can do with FSPanel Studio that would help in making them fit better into the Commander.

In the past you had no problems with it when I modified the Seneca files for my own personal use.  Infact some people either from FSD or other users in the FSD support fourm (I don't remember exactly who it was but I thank them all) helped me to realized that I needed to make the changes in the loadout.cfg file, not the panel.cfg file when I wanted to put the Garmin GNS-530 from the Flight 1 421C into my Seneca V (This was before REality XP made their version).  I didn't redistribute that.  And others helped me make it fit even better. 

I certainly understand your concerns, and it is not fair to you and the rest of the FSD team for people like me to modify and redistribute the modifications that we do.  But if we bought it, why can't we "customize" it to our likeing.  If we have problems, it's our own d*** falt, and should know not to come to you guys about problems that we may have. 

Please re-think this.  I love the Commander, but think that this limitation is overdoing it.  Like Ed said, can't there be a compromise? 

Joe Kraus
Dennis Waggoner View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Waggoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2003 at 2:05pm

If you turn off dll dependencys in gauge options. You will not get the error 15 using FS Panel Studio when you call up the Commander Panel. You will not be able to see the fsd gauges or manipulate them either but you will be able to add non Commander Gauges to the panel windows. For example I add a GPS/Nav switch on top of the Apollo GL50 gps.

I respect FSD's Right to lock their gauges down. And I wish them continued success.

Dennis 

Bigmack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2003 at 7:31pm

I too Own the Commander and panel studio. I also understand FSD's concern about copy protection. But there should be some compromise in allowing registrarted owners the opportunity to modify the panel to thier liking. I enjoy flying all the FSD AC, and what makes them even better is being able to customize the panel how I want it. I've changed about every payware AC panel I purchased for my own liking. I have never uploaded a panel and will not ever do so without permission from the aurther. My point is I paid for the Commander and I should be able to do whatever I please with it for my own personel use. FSD please reconsider this and lets make this work for FSD and your paying customers.

Bill M <SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Struzynski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2003 at 12:30pm

Users of FSPS will have to deselect the "Options:Preferences:Gauge Drawing Options:Resolve Gauge DLL Dependencies" checkbox in order to prevent FSPS being crashed by FSD's copy protection scheme. This leaves a limited editing functionality -- so limited that I would have to state the FSPS is not compatible with this, and future FSD products. Sorry.

FSD has legitimate concerns about piracy and support, and although users should contact them for their official stance, it appears to me that they wish users not be able to modify or edit their panels or gauges with tools such as FSPS.

FSPS will certainly not be modified to circumvent any vendor's copy protection software, now, or in the future.

Attempts to work with FSD to create an acceptable workaround for FSPS users which still respects FSD's intellectual property rights, has unfortunately not met with any success.

Ed Struzynski

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic