SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Different scenarios, different settings thats how
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDifferent scenarios, different settings thats how

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different scenarios, different settings thats how
    Posted: April-12-2012 at 3:10pm
So ive realized that fsx works this way, based on weather traffic and airport location and scenery has different settings for different events.
However it seems that with bufferpools its with it or not !
Same with water if set on high 2x then no scenery flashes even when panning so its a must.
Ive only learned these things after years.

I have Aa pumped really high in certain scenarios. 2x sgss with 16xS 2x2 and 4ms. Best settings in the world for me again depending on wx and scenery and aircraft.

My real question is in regards to bufferpools, why does 0 work so well, and why does water 2x remove all flashes?

I'm using the latest drivers as all recent drivers are the same in regards to fsx when using inspector. The ones using 275 and think its the only good one for fsx, its placebo!
i7 920 @ 4.20 GHZ (Stable) Noctua SE cpu cooler

6 gb Mushkin 1600 DDR3 CL6 ram/

1xsata wd black 1xvelociraptor

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

Asus p6td Deluxe Antec 750 watts
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 4:54pm

I never said driver 275.33 is the best for FSX. All I ever said was that it is the one I use and that everyone must test drivers to find the one that works best for them, and once you find it, stay with it because it is very rare to find a new driver revision that shows improvement in FSX.

and of course different flight situations can demand different settings! The scenery itself it its overstuffed can force a user to re-trim settings for a certain scenery area and paywar aircraft.

That does not mean a new one may not help..  but for as long as I have been doing this, its very rare to find.

As for BP 0... Quite honestly, that tweak also depends on the hardware in the system, the drivers, the users settings and a lot of other factors if it works without nasty issues. With some people that tweak crashes their system. I posted in the past it can be used under the right circumstances, or, you can use a poolsize and reject threshold to accomplish just about the same result without requiring adding 2 shader passes to the render with water 2xHigh.. I think thats nuts!

To be quite frank I would not run 2xHigh water just to run that silly tweak and instead would use the reject threshold

[BUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
Poolsize=8388608
RejectThreshold=262144

Here is something new..

Nvidia just released beta drivers not too long ago that include a feature they told me they were working on for some time.. it corrects the Vsync issues that FSX SP2 introduced... Phil Taylor posted about Vsync creating a problem with FSX when SP2/Acceleration was released

You must use Nvidia beta driver 301.24 AND Nvidia Inspector 1.9.6.4 for this to work

Latest drivers 301.42 were released as WHQL and work perfect for this, use those instead of the original beta's.

Any driver 301.24 or higher works for this setup

=======================================================

New instructions are posted by Nvidia about driver upgrades..  you MUST completely uninstall the Nvidia driver from Programs and Features and do NOT USE the device manager or overwrite the drivers using CLEAN INSTALL.

The <Advanced Installation> Clean Install process available in new Nvidia drivers is ONLY to be used after the video driver has been completely uninstalled using Programs and Features in Windows and the system rebooted.

Never use driver rollback...!

Issue has been noted by Microsoft in a KB as well as Nvidia  

=======================================

Get rid of BP=0

Get rid of Affinity mask if you use it..

Get rid of any full screen Vsync lines in the FSX.cfg...

Set Fiber Frame Time Fraction to .015

[MAIN]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 - NOTE: This is system dependant! If you are pushing too much scenery this can BLUR the textures so you must experiment with this and scenery settings. This value can go lower (0.10-0.12) if you do not see any blurry ground textures.

Set LOD Radis to 6.5 in the FSX.cfg.. this will compensate for lowering FFTF and keep the highest LOD clear further from the aircraft, but remember that lowering FFTF is dropping terrain priority and if you are clocked running modern hardware, this can help without loss to texture clarity

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000 - NOTE: AGAIN this is system dependant but if you run a decent quad or hex core clocked, 6.50 should work fine.. 5.5 is for slower systems and you can try that if 6.50 is too high.

If you use a  1.2-1.5GB video card (or higher) set TBM to 120. If less than 1.2GB video memory, set TBM to 80

[Display]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120        do NOT push this higher!

and if for some reason you are using this tweak...

[DISPLAY]

TextureMaxLoad=x

get it out fo the config and use TBM only!   please!   LOL

additional...

[MAIN]
HideInfoText=1
DisablePreload=1

and if you use a wide screen monitor...

[DISPLAY]

WideViewAspect=True

Set up Nv Inspector as shown below noting the Vsync options.. DO NOT USE ADAPTIVE VSYNC

Apply changes and make sure in FSX AA is unchecked and Filtering is set to Trilinear

Set your water back to 2xLow in FSX if you pushed it up for BP=0

You MUST be in full screen mode to test this.. it will not work in window mode!

and finally..  Lock FPS in FSX to 30   no more, no less!  DO NOT USE ANY NV INSPECTOR LIMITER OR EXTERNAL FPS LIMITER, ONLY USE FSX INTERNAL LOCK

WARNING: It is well known that after a driver upgrade and with the first run of Nvidia Inspector the settings for AA may NOT save the first time they are applied. After setting up Nvidia Inspector and running FSX if you are not seeing proper AA then close FSX, reboot the system and start Nv Inspector..  you will probably find the AA settings Behavior Flag and MODE for the MS Flight Simulator X profile have reset to default and need to be reapplied and verify the rest of the settings at the same time. Once reapplied they will remain.

NOTE: If you change FSX settings in the FSX scenery and graphics the LOD_RADIUS will revert to 4.50.. you may need to make your scenery and frame lock settings, close FSX then re-edit the config.

You can experiment with FFTF and drop it to 0.10 if .15 does not produce blurry textures. When it comes to LOD_Radius if 6.50 is too high, 5.5 should work fine but start with 6.5

BE AWARE: That is is NORMAL in some scenery situtions to see autogen spikes but THESE CAN BE CLEARED.. this nonsense of running 2xHIGH water to make the spikes go away is just that NONSENSE. It adds an addtional shader pass to the render and therefore LOWERS the performance at which point you must COMPENSATE with lower scenery or autgen settings.

INSTEAD of 2xHIGH, set to 2xLOW and when you boot a flight go to exterior LOCKED SPOT VIEW and PAN the camera around the aircraft 360 degrees 3-5 times. Each pass PRELOADS the video buffer and therefore removes the autogen loading flash/spike. You should NOT see much of any autogen glitch after that, if you do and its constant and does nopt stop then you are simply OVERDRIVING your hardware ability PERIOD.

This is not 'my discovery" or anyone elses for that matter..  It has been well known for years that FSX has issues with Vsync since SP2 and Phil Taylor announced the issue publicly. It is also why I have always posted for years to run 30FPS locked internal (unless scenery load demanded unlimited) with FSX with LCD since 30 is 1/2 the typical LCD refresh rate and there are cases where locking 60 (match refresh rate) also works.  

When I was working with Nvidia some time ago the engineer I was in contact with told me they were working on providing corrections and new settings for Vsync since the issue effects many game titles and not just FSX. The latest beta driver introduces access to the new Vsync settings. We are currently testing these new settings as part of the internal beta.

Try the above and see if it works for you.

I never saw any difference in performance in FSX with any driver higher than 275.33 but thats just my system, and that includes the new beta driver. The changes the new beta driver allows is correction to Vsync which has always been an issue with respect to stutters in FSX, and this does work under the right conditions.

If the above works for you, you can add Bufferpools back in as a test but I would use the reject threshold and not force my system to run 2 extra shader passes just to clear up visual glitches with BP=0. And if you do not see any improvement with bufferpools added back in, get rid of it completely! Wink

USE THIS INSTEAD OF BP=0:
[BUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
Poolsize=8388608
RejectThreshold=262144

ALTERNATE: If you see constant flashes or glitches, raise RT: RejectThreshold=524288

You will use ONE of those 2 either 262144 or 524288, try the lower value first.

The best location to test if bufferpool is working for your system is over a massive pine forest. Find a large forest, confirm its tall pines and use that location to test for changes to bufferpools flying over the forest at about 3000-4000ft, use an external locked-spot view looking down at the aircraft and forest underneath. If you see a defined change to smoothness by adding in bufferpools using the reject threshold method, then bufferpools is working for you.

I dont expect this to work for everyone as there are many factors to success.. most of which are the user who comes to realize you can not over-stuff scenery, run very high AA levels and see all that eye-candy without taking a hit and dealing with the perf.

People need to finally come to the realization that the goal is figure out where their sim will run internally locked 30FPS and stop the over-blown scenery load nonsense. Once we get that in range, then with the correct setup this should finish the job.

With 120Hz Vsync monitor it may be possible to run 1/4 Vsync however there are issues around that too as there is a processor in those monitors and in order to obtain that refresh rate the method is not standard.

flightsimmer747 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 7:29pm
Im gonna try what you wrote here, for the most part my settings are set as you describe besides the new driver and vsync Fsx sp2 situation. My slighters are a notch behind the full.

As for water 2x high, its not because of bp=o, i actually did it because of graphic spikes panning around any aircraft which for me did not clear up. With water 2x with or without bp i no longer experienced graphic glitches and spikes.

I do still have affinity mask in there and will try without.

I may be wrong about plaecebo effect on drivers, sorry about that.

My system i7 920 at 4.2 6gb gaming ram 7-7-7 and gtx 480 1.5gb.
As for AA i like 2x grid sampling and 16xs 2x2 ss 4x ms, BUT i'm afraid of perf hits but love the quality of the visuals no more shimmer!

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 7:52pm
That was my point

every system is different and even the Vsync changes I posted above may not make any difference.. it depends on a lot of different factors and if you were being effected by Vsync to begin with. Some are, some are not

there is no such thing as a 'magic bullet' with FSX. There are too many variables out there in system hardware and installed scenery/aircraft for anyone to post a set of tweaks or changes that will work for everyone.

If you think you found the sweet spot for your system and you are satisfied, stick with it! Searching for the magic bullet is an endless game of tweak and frown. What you did today may make you smile.. tomorrow when you add another aircraft or scenery or fly in a different location you may be right back to frowning   Big smile

Its a well known issue that BP=0 causes flashes, spikes and other glitches until water is set to 2xHigh, which is a major downfall to using 0 and why the reject threshold is a far better choice

if you insist on running that level of AA you are going to get bit by perf lags under the right conditions.

forgot to note..   if you change FSX settings in the FSX scenery and graphics the following will revert to 4.50..    you may need to make your scenery and frame lock settings, close FSX then re-edit the config. You can experiment with FFTF and drop it to 0.10 of .15 does not produce blurry textures. When it comes to LOD_Radius if 6.50 is too high, 5.5 should work fine

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

Ssnake51 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:04pm
Thanks very much for this info, Nick. 

Went ahead and installed the new drivers and Inspector and applied the changes you suggested in Inspector.  I've never had such a smooth flying experience in FSX as I now do.  No stutters at all in the default flight - even when making turns.

I did notice a few flashes right at the beginning of the flight but they disappeared shortly thereafter.  Before I was getting occasional flashes throughout a flight. 

So overall things are very much improved.  Again, thanks!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 9:58pm
Thanks Nick water is going back to 2x low and i will install new beta after cleaning out the old i will remove bufferpools and experiment Without. When i test bufferpools i will add your numbers for threshold as well. My issue has been stutters in spot view over water and clouds at cruise, the fps dip low and i get stutters. I found one culprit to be a download of flash in the background, but having said that my goal is to try and cure glitches of flashes when climbing to cruise. Clouds seem to flash occasionally and spikes near and around aircraft.

I found water 2x high cured all graphic issues but performance may be dropping due to two more shaders. Also my monitors seems to not be stable in this condition going from windowed to full screen seems like a burden to my system. As for image quality i can finally say i'm content and thats with add ons and payware aircraft.
Im not in front of my fsx pc yet. Will test and report

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 10:50pm
flashes and spikes are normal on first flight load, always have been. After panning around the outside of the aircraft several times they should clear up within a few minutes and not return.

If you use slew or change sim time, you can expect to see that again until it clears

But you should not be seeing constant flashes and spikes.. if you do then one of 5 issues is present

1. You are overheating the video card, or, the card HSF fins are blocked with dust  - by the way NEVER overclock the video card, ever.. its not needed

2. You are overdriving the system with scenery and GPU related filtering

3. You are using BP=0

4. You have a bad driver install, or, a driver that does not like your system

5. You have a corrupt DX, FSX or Windows installation

The drivers are still in beta and there are some issues reported they are working on for the WHQL release of the driver. Until such time as the drivers go WHQL I am holding off posting about this in an sticky thread..  

I need to make sure what they release for WHQL is the same as the beta in terms of Vsync correction and they dont break anything else fixing issues LOL  before I post this as a full blown announcement.

I added a few items to the post so review it again before you try it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 12:17am
Ok thanks so....
For 1. I will check the dust
2 maybe ill bring down my Aa but again im so happy with no shimmers
3 ill get rid of bp=o i agree with your theory that i have read
4 ill uninstall and clean out old driver using your method and install the latest and start over
And 5 im really not worried about my fsx install and windows but how and when do i go about reinstalling DX?

Thangs again!

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 1:17am
Oh yeah by texture max load do you mean the one under (graphics)?

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 1:59am
Edit double post

I tried a few things tonight, just curious as i see no difference having bufferpool in the cfg or not, should i keep it for specific measures or just get rid of it?

Same for fiber frame , unless i dont know what i need to be looking at i see no difference.

But i do still get some stutters ;( and frames drop when looking at nice scenery.

I guess ill try the forest test for bufferpools next

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 7:32am
Originally posted by flightsimmer747 flightsimmer747 wrote:

Oh yeah by texture max load do you mean the one under (graphics)?

NO!

Under [GRAPHICS] that is Texture_Max_Load= and is the max resolution of textures allowed.. do not mess with that as it should be 1024 unless you use 2048 or 4096 cloud textures (which I would not use)

Under DISPLAY TextureMaxLoad=x is one of those tweaks posted at AVSIM with BP=0.. that one get rid of

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 7:37am
Originally posted by flightsimmer747 flightsimmer747 wrote:

Edit double post

I tried a few things tonight, just curious as i see no difference having bufferpool in the cfg or not, should i keep it for specific measures or just get rid of it?

Same for fiber frame , unless i dont know what i need to be looking at i see no difference.

But i do still get some stutters ;( and frames drop when looking at nice scenery.

I guess ill try the forest test for bufferpools next

What did you expect when you look at large scenery areas? The frames would always remain the same?

If you see no difference in smoothness or stutters with bufferpools in the config then why the hoopla in the original post about BP=0?  LOL

There is no such thing as a completely stutter free sim..   at some point in any flight and in any render situation in FSX there will be a stutter..   how much and how bad depends on how much you are demanding from the scenery and how complex the aircraft.

If your scenery load is very high or you are trying to use 4096 cloud textures and running exceptionally high AA settings, then no matter what you do you will always be presented with perf issue during different phases of a flight. At some point you have to adjust your scenery settings to balance out the load.

The primary key to what was posted is FFTF with frame lock. The lower the FFTF the less CPU time is focused on the terrain, this raises frame rates. If the terrain is not blurry then lower FFTF to .10 and leave it. You must balance your scenery settings so you can maintain close to 25-30FPS locked with the items I listed. The closer to 30 you can maintain, the smoother the flight will be.

FFTF and TBM are only used by the sim if the frames are internally locked.

The primary issue with FSX is developers release ridiculously overloaded scenery products and people push scenery settings too high and also use 2048 or 4096 cloud textures from applications such as FEX/REX..   thats horse hocky..   use 1024 DXT5 cloud textures and keep the scenery settings reasonable so your sim can maintain around 30FPS and you will be presented with a very smooth flight.
paula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 11:01am
I downloaded nvidia inspector 1.9.6.4 but I see different text in ms flightsim x
to begin with to fill in in the middle with none but this one give flag behaviour none etc also vsync doesnot give the one you mentioned.
so my question is what did i wrong , did i choose the wrong one from internet
is there a special site to go on
looking forward hearing from you

paula
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

You must use Nvidia beta driver 301.24 AND Nvidia Inspector 1.9.6.4 for this to work

=======================================================

New instructions are posted by Nvidia about driver upgrades..  you MUST completely uninstall the Nvidia driver from Programs and Features and do NOT USE the device manager or overwrite the drivers using CLEAN INSTALL.

The <Advanced Installation> Clean Install process available in new Nvidia drivers is ONLY to be used after the video driver has been completely uninstalled using Programs and Features in Windows and the system rebooted.

Never use driver rollback...!

Issue has been noted by Microsoft in a KB as well as Nvidia  

=======================================

paula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 11:28am
I did not make myself clear I suppose
probebly language problem
I have installed the beta as discribed by you
next I downloaded from internet the nvidia inspector 1.9.6.4
but the text within this inspector ms flightsim x is different than you and also in former versions
give as example.
so probebly i have not the right download
is there asite where I can pick up the one
for i.e guru3d has only the 1.9.5.9
and there is one I pick up orbmu2k
paula
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 11:31am
http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=51   NvInspector 1.9.6.4

Make sure is is decompressed with all files in the same folder and run the exe from the same folder. If you place the new exe in the folder with the older XML files the correct text will not appear.

paula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 1:21pm
i cannot get it done
uninstalled NI and installed the one from the link
same story
uninstalled again and than uninstalled the new driver and start all over
same story, different text
can i use nvidia controller? there is now also in vsync 1/2 frame rates

paula
pj_3 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 1:55pm
Paula - can you post a pic/screenshot of the NI MS Flight Simulator X profile opened and scrolled down a little, to show the "Common" area?
i7-4790K@48; 1.29v; 45 cache, 16g GSkill Tr.X C10-1T@2400; GTX780; Maxim. VII Hero; EK-Supreme HF Nickel Water
Per Nick's Guide

W7-64; TH2G; Chippy 'pit; MD80-style TQ; TIR5: DX10

paula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 2:46pm
cannot get it into this message but it starts like this
ms flight simulator x
antialiasing
antialiasing-behavior flags       AA behaviar flags none
antialiasing-gamma correction AA_MODE_gammacorrection_default
etc
texture filtering
anisotropic filtering mode        aniso_mode_selector_user

paula
pj_3 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 2:53pm
OK... Get yourself a "DropBox", - it will create a DropBox folder on your computer - then you can create a snapshot and copy it to your new DropBox folder - and it will appear on the internet DropBox website. You then right-click on the copied snapshot, select "copy public link" and then paste that into a post here on the forum.
Here's one of one of my old Inspectors, for e.g.:-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52676345/Inspector_1.9.4.jpg

and here's a shot of the DropBox folder on my pc..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52676345/Screenshot_of_Public_Folder.jpg

i7-4790K@48; 1.29v; 45 cache, 16g GSkill Tr.X C10-1T@2400; GTX780; Maxim. VII Hero; EK-Supreme HF Nickel Water
Per Nick's Guide

paula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 3:18pm
try but i am not familiar with all that comp material
anyway I know that the text are different than all the NI I had before
i dont know whats wrong
probebly I go back to systemrecovery yesterday and leave it as it was

paula
paula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 3:58pm
i went back to the one of yesterday but all is done well except that dammed nvidia inspector
thats still present
is nick present to explain why there are two english versions of text?
paula
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 5:24pm
The Nvidia driver Control Panel does not allow access to the settings posted.

I do not understand what the problem is..  I would too need to see an image of Nv Inspector myself

You can truncate the drop down lists in Nv Inspector by clicking the icon at the top of the GUI

You can also reset any/all profiles back to Nvidia default by clicking the Nvidia Icon on the same toolbar

Phase View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 6:35pm
Nick
Do you have a reference to the the MS KB article as you described above. 

I used your process as described aboved ie uninstalled the driver via programs, rebooted.  After the re-start Win 7 asked me if I wanted to install the vga driver - I declined. 
Then the MS update service informed me of an urgent important nvidia update which turned out to be the 301.24 driver.
Being in an experimental mode, I used this MS update service and the driver installed OK and works OK with nvidia Inspector. 
With this driver I did notice some degradation in the FSX menu text which was resolved when I unticked FXAA (I hadn't realised it was ticked).  Otherwise no issues.
Regards
PeterH

Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 6:55pm
I would not have used MS for drivers Peter. It could be fine but MS is not the video card manufacture

that beta driver was just released to the public on April 9th 

Phase View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 7:05pm
Nick
Thanks - Will uninstall and use the downloaded driver as per your instructions above - thanks for the heads up.  (BTW the MS "nvidia" driver was dated 10 th April).
Regards
pH

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:37pm
Reads to me you are getting beta downloads from MS.

I turned off all that automated driver update nonsense from MS years ago so when I update a driver I dont deal with MS trying to tell me what I need.

FXAA should never have been enabled by default. You do not want that as its a low grade version of 4x for gamers who do not care about image quality and want brute force speed

Phase View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:46pm
Nick
I only use the MS driver service just to let me know when there is/are a new update(s) available - particularly security.  I don't use the auto function and only dl what I want.  For example I can't use IE9 because it is incompatible with a bank account I have, so you can imagine MS wants to install IE9 all of the time and I needed a method to stop it doing that.
I have installed the driver from nvidia - it is working well and using vsync half refresh rate (as above) its even stopped FRAPS recording (on screen) those fps figures in the 2000+ range when its loading certain software.
Yes the Samsung is a "true" 120 Hz monitor (whatever that means) - I haven't installed the latest driver on that system yet - just on my 1900 x 1200 Dell IPS monitor and vsync at half is good.  I will definitely try it at 1/4 when I get around to changing the driver on the Samsung monitor system.  I'm using the 275.33 driver on that and am reluctant to change as it is running so well.
Thanks again, this info has been very useful.
Regards
PeterH

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:47pm
Keep in mind, this is for single 60Hz LCD monitors with a max resolution of 1920x1280.. if you are using a monitor that is far higher in refresh rate, or, a monitor that is considered 'dual link' because it exceeds 1920x1280 resolution then this wont work. A dual link monitor requires 1/2 the clock ouput on the video card to drive 1/2 of the screen and the other 1/2 to drive the rest. Standard monitors (1920x1080 and below) only use 1/2 the output of a single video card plug.

Because of that the screen is split (even though you dont realize it). With 120Hz Vsync monitor it may be possible to run 1/4 Vsync however there are issues around that too as there is a processor in those monitors and in order to obtain that refresh rate the method is not standard.
Phase View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:50pm
Sorry we seen to be posting at the same time.
pH

Zman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 11:13pm
Nick
with this new beta driver and inspector relating to Verticle Sync,, in one of ur previous post reguarding CFG tweaks u had this
    [Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120
WideViewAspect=True // For wide screen aspect monitors
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0
ForceFullScreenVSync=True
ForceVSync=True

[Main]
HideInfoText=1
DisablePreload=1

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1 //only needed with heavy hitting payware planes

reguading to this entry
ForceVSync=True
should we remove this frm FSX CFG with this new beta driver and inspector set up being it is now working the verticle Sync

and will this work with other programs ie MS Flight, fs 2004, ms flight does not give graphic options to change frame rate ! and other games ,,,

Also in inspector maximum pre-rendered frames DEFAULT IS 0 , Nvidia control panel now sais use Application setting ,,, I noticed u have on ur sample it is set to 3 ,,, So I am ASSUMING we r suppose to set it to "3"
Thanks
Darryl
Bakern View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 5:21am
Hi Nick.

I have managed my fsx.cfg (on a new FSX install) with values you posted in your first post in this thread, wow, what a difference from my earlier setup, smooth as silk now.

This settings are a keeper for me and my setup, no doubts. Thumbs Up

Thank you very much for sharing all your acknowledge with the sim community.

Brgds
Stein-Ove
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Zman Zman wrote:

reguading to this entry
ForceVSync=True
should we remove this frm FSX CFG with this new beta driver and inspector set up being it is now working the verticle Sync

and will this work with other programs ie MS Flight, fs 2004, ms flight does not give graphic options to change frame rate ! and other games ,,,

Also in inspector maximum pre-rendered frames DEFAULT IS 0 , Nvidia control panel now sais use Application setting ,,, I noticed u have on ur sample it is set to 3 ,,, So I am ASSUMING we r suppose to set it to "3"
Thanks
Darryl

Default pre-render limit is always 3 and that should never be changed. I did not set mine to 3. Any line item that does not show a blue gear icon next to it means that line has not been altered or enabled.

This should work for any game that allows frame lock adjustment..  if you have no frame lock control from the application itself then the result is problematic and based on what the application is doing by default. I do not use FLIGHT and have no idea how it works

My post says quite clearly...

Get rid of any full screen Vsync lines in the FSX.cfg...
Manos View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 3:15pm
WOW... What a difference a video driver and a right set up can do!!!
These Vsync issues had been bothering me for so long...now there are gone!
Thank you Nick for this, this definitely proves your quote "you get what you pay for, if you know how to use it" ! Smile 
i7 980X @4.43, TRSA, Mushkin 6-7-6-18 @1612, P6X58D, Asus GTX580, Crucial C300 SSD 256GB, Corsair AX850, SS Fortress FT02
Christos View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 3:20pm
Re: LOD Radious 6.5.. or 5.5... keeping it there.

Nick, you refered further up this topic about the LOD Radius going back by itself to the default of 4.5..
I am closing FSX, change LOD Radius in the cfg file but when flying and setting frames to unlimited it goes back again to 4.5..
Any solution to make it stay at 6.5..?

Christos

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Manos Manos wrote:

WOW... What a difference a video driver and a right set up can do!!!
These Vsync issues had been bothering me for so long...now there are gone!
Thank you Nick for this, this definitely proves your quote "you get what you pay for, if you know how to use it" ! Smile

Phil Taylor said 'you get what you pay for'   I just added the rest Wink

I dont expect this to work for everyone as there are many factors to success.. most of which are the user who comes to realize you can not over-stuff scenery, run very high AA levels and see all that eye-candy without taking a hit and dealing with the perf.

People need to finally come to the realization that the goal is figure out where their sim will run 30FPS or very close to it and stop the over-blown scenery load nonsense.

Once we get that in range, then with the correct setup this should finish the job.

Christos View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 3:36pm
Is then my gtx 560 Ti graphics card the weakest link?
Otherwise frames are fine, speed at 4,5 ghz and generally quite acceptable.

(Actually I want to post a photo but uploading is restricted to 500 kb. My photos are about 2,5 -3 mb. How can I make them "lighter"?).

Christos

Manos View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 3:37pm
I know, I just had to to quote both as they seem to go in pair! Smile

I understand exactly what you're saying and I am with you 110% Nick.
i7 980X @4.43, TRSA, Mushkin 6-7-6-18 @1612, P6X58D, Asus GTX580, Crucial C300 SSD 256GB, Corsair AX850, SS Fortress FT02
pj_3 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 3:42pm
Christos - I'll repeat one of my other posts - get yourself a "DropBox", - it will create a DropBox folder on your computer - then you can create a snapshot, or take a file and copy it to your new DropBox folder "Public" - and it will appear on the internet DropBox website. You then right-click on the copied snapshot or file, select "copy public link" and then paste that into a post here on the forum.

Here's one of one of my old Inspectors, for e.g.:-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52676345/Inspector_1.9.4.jpg

and here's a shot of the DropBox folder on my pc..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52676345/Screenshot_of_Public_Folder.jpg

It's very easy, with almost zero restrictions on filesize.

Per Nick's Guide

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Christos Christos wrote:

Re: LOD Radious 6.5.. or 5.5... keeping it there.

Nick, you refered further up this topic about the LOD Radius going back by itself to the default of 4.5..
I am closing FSX, change LOD Radius in the cfg file but when flying and setting frames to unlimited it goes back again to 4.5..
Any solution to make it stay at 6.5..?

Christos

You dont run unlimited with this.  you lock 30

and no, there is no way to make a change to the settings in FSX and not have the scenery radius default back to 4.5

And yes your Ti video card is crunching you..   I already told you that you need a 570 at least and a 580 would be best for that rig clocked as it is on that memory speed and timing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic