SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diffenrence between 32 bit and DXT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebMaximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diffenrence between 32 bit and DXT
    Posted: November-17-2012 at 10:09am
Just bought FEX for use together with OpusFSX trying to get the most realistically environment possible to fly in.

Would like to ask from more experienced FEX owners, what are your experience using the different compression methods...32 bit vs DXT5 for clouds and DXT for water? And as for the resolution I read in FEX interface that for inland and non-tropical water 512 is the recommended resolution since you will notice little difference.

Of course I'll start doing my own testing but would be nice with some input from others and what conclusions you've came up with? Guess your choice also is dependent on your hardware, I'm on a i7-2700K @ 4.8 GHz and a GTX 680.

Also, trying to find the most realistic textures is there a screenshot forum dedicated for FEX somewhere where people can show off their own created themes? Would be great if there is such a forum where you can see examples of all themes available to download in FEX!
infall@msn.com View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infall@msn.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 4:17am
BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

32 bit vs DXT5 for clouds and DXT for water. Which is better?

Pros and cons?
Specs:IntelCore i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E / 3.6GHz, Cache 10MB L3 cache, Liquid cooled. 32GB RAM, Video cards: 3GB AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950x2,Hard drives: 500GB Samsung Pro SSD, 2TB HDD, Win7Pro 64Bit
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 8:04am
The higher the resolution, the harder the performance hit

DXT1/5/5 are far higher performance than 32bit

512 and 1024 is far higher performance than 2048 or 4096

Therefore for best performance always use DXT and 1024 MAX
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infall@msn.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 4:03pm
Thanks for the quick reply Nick!

I did notice a substantial frame hit when using the 32 Bit over the DXT. I have to say the DXT is amazing, I really see little to no frame change when using it...even with the 4096 being used. But the 32 bit is really amazing looking to say the least!

I really like your themes in FEX. Are you planning to make any more? 

Also, is there a water theme that is close to ORBX brown, but a little less dark in the Alaska ocean areas? I really like the polluted water look in Florida with the ORBX Brown, but find the oceans a little dark for my taste. Just wondering if anyone has made a alternate of the ORBX Brown with lighter oceans?

Specs:IntelCore i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E / 3.6GHz, Cache 10MB L3 cache, Liquid cooled. 32GB RAM, Video cards: 3GB AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950x2,Hard drives: 500GB Samsung Pro SSD, 2TB HDD, Win7Pro 64Bit
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 2:41pm
There is no such thing as a theme that changes the color in 2 locations.. its how FSX is designed so you have to manually change those things yourself based on where you are flying
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infall@msn.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 3:52pm
I understand that the oceans are going to be the same everywhere. I worded that wrong. I was just asking if there is a theme that is exactly like the ORBX Brown except that the ocean water is like a shade lighter. Because that theme is awesome. Just was wishing that the ocean water was a shade lighter. It is damn near black when out to sea. I get that the ocean water will be the same all over the globe according to the theme that is picked. I just have not seen another theme that has that polluted water look. Was hoping you knew of one?

WebMaximus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebMaximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 4:02pm
There is a freeware utility called FS Water Configurator you might want to check out.
dmz0427 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmz0427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2014 at 1:55am
Bump
I am carious about this DXT, I know it has to do with textures, How can I check it on my sys and make sure it is set to what it is suppose to be,
I know the 1024 is in FSX CFG, I use a lot of diff addons and would like to keep the best Performance , I always make sure the addon does not change the 1024 like some of them want to,
so How can I check this DXT
Thanks
DMZ
WebMaximus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebMaximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2014 at 6:30am
Depending on what textures addon you use you can choose under the settings menu what format to install, DXT or 32bit.
rose61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rose61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 5:14pm
There a water theme that is close to ORBX brown, but a little less dark in the Alaska ocean areas? I really like the polluted water look in Florida with the ORBX Brown, but find the oceans a little dark for my taste. Just wondering if anyone has made a alternate of the ORBX Brown with lighter oceans?

Pass your testking first try by using test-king toefl prac
electric man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 8:53am
Hi Rose61, you can change the color yourself in FEX with the designer section, go to "water" then click the designer tab and double click on the ORBX water on the left and click yes and that theme will be loaded to edit,

Herman
jzimmermann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzimmermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 7:26am
Originally posted by WebMaximus WebMaximus wrote:

Just bought FEX for use together with OpusFSX trying to get the most realistically environment possible to fly in.

Also, trying to find the most realistic textures is there a screenshot forum dedicated for FEX somewhere where people can show off their own created themes? Would be great if there is such a forum where you can see examples of all themes available to download in FEX!

Hi there,

I noticed your message saying "with OpusFSX trying to get the most realistically environment possible to fly in". Having tested and tried every weather engine out there, to me OpusFSX is the most unrealistic of all. Have you had a look at this:

The fact that FS Global Real Weather offers special local weather effects that are triggered when certain, unique meteorological conditions are met, makes it a hands-down winner:

I've tried many different environment packages for clouds and sky colours too and actually find two freeware packages better than anything else I've come across:

The cloud textures work great in FSX and Prepar3D, the sky textures are excellent too.

To me the above offers a unique mix that will setup your sim experience in a very realistic way.

Cheers,

Jerome

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 8:16am
Hi jzimmerman, as for weather engines I should sugest you to learn to read METARS, then you would see that in the video OpusFSX comes out far better then the other two, and as for the Cirus clouds in one part, that is a global setting that can be switched of if you like just as with REX, as to the special local weather effects, do some more reading on OpusFSI and you might be amazed.
As for textures; don't use HD textures because they all look like pillow stuffing from an altitude, wether they are from FEX or REX or whatever free or payware add on textures.

Herman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzimmermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2015 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by electric man electric man wrote:

Hi jzimmerman, as for weather engines I should sugest you to learn to read METARS, then you would see that in the video OpusFSX comes out far better then the other two, and as for the Cirus clouds in one part, that is a global setting that can be switched of if you like just as with REX, as to the special local weather effects, do some more reading on OpusFSI and you might be amazed.
As for textures; don't use HD textures because they all look like pillow stuffing from an altitude, wether they are from FEX or REX or whatever free or payware add on textures.

Herman

Hi Herman,

Yes, of course OpusFSX comes out better, especially when it throws a bunch of clouds up into the sky above the airport at CAVOK. LOL

Please share with us what reading you've done on OpusFSI that has amazed you.

Cheers,

Jerome

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2015 at 2:51am
Like I said, the clouds you see are Cirus clouds that can be switched of if you don't like them just as with REX, no METAR in the world talks about Cirus clouds so no WE is able to depict them properly. As you look at the overcast situations then only OpusFSX gives you that, the 2 others only show a broken cloudlayer and only OpusFSX depicts the thunderstorm correctly.
As for OpusFSI and special effects, that comes with a lot of airports with the windshear and other effects as can be found in the approach charts of those airports and the list grows daily, you can read all about it on the Opus forum in here to.
I've tried AS and REX as weather engines and OpusFSX is the only one showing exactly on screen what I see if I look outside my window and has the propper winds aloft ass well so you can actually plan a flight with the NOAA weather sites and be 100% sure the weather in FSX will be the same as that.

Herman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzimmermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2015 at 10:44am
Hi Herman,

The OP was talking about OpusFSX, not OpusFSI. Watch the video again, the clouds that OpusFSX is showing at CAVOK are clearly a type of Cumulus and not Cirrus. Wink

You obviously haven't tried FSGRW, so it seems pointless to discuss something that you know nothing about. I stand by what I say, I've tried every weather engine out there, to me OpusFSX is the most unrealistic of all.

Cheers,

Jerome

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic