SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Flight1 General Discussion and Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Contamination

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contamination
    Posted: January-14-2021 at 8:58am
I recently purchased the GNS 530 (MOD removed order number). It started to load but wouldn’t go past the 50% mark. What it did do was to drop a ‘Trojan’ virus onto my computer !!! Microsoft Defender blocked this virus, which it described as a ‘Severe risk’. I would like you to know that I have removed all Flight1 material from my computer as a precaution, and I will be cancelling my payment.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2021 at 9:33am
It is a false positive that isn't uncommon with some flight sim products. Not just Flight1. Antivirus providers have been advised if this issue but it seems are reluctant to do anything about it. It is best to install all products with your antivirus disabled. Also, make sure you have your antivirus software exclude your flight sim folder from scans. I have used Flight1 products for 15 years and have never gotten a virus/trojan from them.
John Patterson
USN O6 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USN O6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2021 at 11:50am
John is absolutely correct.  Simply exclude the file/folder.  I find it best to exclude the entire FS folder from scans.
Best,
Jim

Ammjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2021 at 3:35pm
John / Jim
I can assure you that this was a genuine and malicious virus.

If you are in the habit of routinely disabling your antivirus when loading flight sim products you are, sooner or later, going to be seriously affected.
JA
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2021 at 4:21pm
I can assure you JA that John and Jim gave you sound and credible advice but unfortunately like many you have no idea what you are talking about.

That comes from several decades or more of experience. 

You may keep believing what you want to while everyone else that understands false positives and how to use their security software is enjoying their addons and their simulator experience.

To each his own Beer

Any files that you downloaded from the Flight1 website or through the Flight1 Purchase Agent are scanned prior to you downloading them for any malicious code. That prevents a hacker from spoofing. So the file(s) you are receiving was scanned as clean the moment you clicked to start/authorized the download on your end. 

If you don't understand the term 'false positive' I suggest you may wish to do some reading.

Here is a recent quote from someone else who did not understand, but now does! 

This may help you come understand the issue better and why..

Originally posted by jimketcham jimketcham wrote:

Throwing caution to the wind, I restored F1GTN.dll from Windows Defender. My GTN650 is working in FSX. It would be nice, though, if Flight1's dlls did not trigger Windows Defender. 

Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

It would be even nicer if Microsoft and all of the other AV/Malware companies these files have been submitted to for exclusion with proper channels, actually do as requested instead of ignoring any company that isn't part of their big money cash grab

I think that is a better way to think about it.

You might need a little education in the subject.. false positives have been going on for the last decade or so and they do not care nor will they bother unless its reported/submitted by a major player who has the financial ability to legally approach them for failure to comply or even answer such a submission/request. 

Here's a little hardware flight simulator performance tip..   exclude the entire fight simulator installation directory including all files and folders from any AV/Malware scanner. I would also do that with any externally installed flight sim addons. Bet they didn't tell you that with MS Defender or any other security software.

They rely on across the board virtual paranoia to convince you that they are your nanny and protecting you. Truth is, only you can prevent the forest fires that they light. 

It's a 2 way street. They provide a level of security but you must take control from them in many circumstances in which they don't care if you do not have the technical ability to figure out and must deal with.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic