SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Conflict between Ultimate Tropic and FSC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conflict between Ultimate Tropic and FSC
    Posted: October-06-2019 at 6:14am
Good morning,

I have installed on my FSX acceleration version, "the Ultimate Terrain X Tropical America and Caribbean V2". I use at the same time Flightsim Commander (FSC) developed by Volker Heine for many years. It helps me follow the plane's flight and works pretty well.
A few days ago while landing at Porto Rico TJSJ airport I noticed that I had multiple occurrencesof gates having the same number.

At first I thought I had by a mistake and left activated three scenery addons for this airport and forgotten to eliminated the older versions downloaded earlier. I actually found one, deactivated it in FSX library and erased it from the addon folder where I sort addons by countries or regions (see attached picture). After the correction I updated the FSC database before loding back FSX and FSC. The problem had not disappeared.

I decided to make a full search of TJSJ in the full FSX directory to make sure there was no another occurrence forgotten somewhere.

There was one in the Flight1 Tropical addon; this of course makes sense. It is located in the region folder under FSX\Scenery\XpressSimTropics\scenery under the file:TJSJ_AP.BGL

At first I thought I had downloaded the XpressSimTropics addon and had made a mistake while installing it but  couldn't find in my drive dedicated to all the addons downloaded, this file and its serial number if it happened to be a payware!

Contacting the support of FSC (ie. Volker Heine) his answer was as follows hereunder:

"...The installation of AddOn sceneries in a subfolder of the Simulalator folder /Scenery is not allowed. ...This leads to a faulty reading of the data.
All AddOn Scenarios may only be installed in the root folder of the simulator or in the folder Addon Scenery."

Still not aware that there was a connection between XpressSimTropics and the Ultimate terrain for the tropical islands, I decided to deactivate the position of XpressSimTropics in the FSX Library, put it as suggested as a subfolder of my Addon Caribean addons and reactivate it. After a new update of the FSC database, the problem had disappeared. Hurray!

It happens that I had noticed while selecting the destination airport TJSJ that I had too multiple occurrence in FSC database for the airport TJIG. I decided to check if there too the problem was solved and IT WAS NOT!Grrrr....!

I don't know why I had the idea to uninstall properly the UTAC Flight1 addon and reinstall it again. There things appeared in full light! I had TWO XpressSimTropics activated in the FSX library worse, the UTAC was missing its roads, airports and others subfolders contents!And of course nothing was solved FSCwise!

Why is it that for the other UT Canada, Europe, USA I have not problems whatever airport I get to and there is a problem with UT tropical?
They all are placed in FSX\scenery as subfolders regions.

Perhaps you may have an answer to this problem. If it were for a minor airport I wouldn't care but Porto Rico Liuz Munoz TJSJ is as far as I'm aware the principal destination in particular with American Airlines and can't be considered minor for this island.

Sorry for this very long post but I wanted to give you precise information to deal with to help find a solution to this problem.
For your information I use FSX and FSC under Windows 10 professional edition on a desktop with 4 cores and 2.8GZ processor and 16GB memory.

Thanks in advance for your incoming help
Kind regards

Claude ROZSA
Paris-France

quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 4:35pm
Firstly, as noted in another recent post in this forum, installing scenery into the FSX Addon Scenery folder is never a good idea as it frequently means that you cannot individually disable them from the FSX Scenery Library, and because of layering issues, can make debugging difficult.

Sceney developers have been installing their products into sub-folders of the FSX Simulator/Scenery folder since FSX has been released. It is an accepted installation method and if FSC is not happy when working with such methods it will have a lot of conflicts with such products.

If you have manually moved UTX or Xpressim scenery layers from where they were installed by their product installers they will not work.

As noted in the manual provided with the product, UTX Tropical America incorporated an XpressSim Tropics product which provided enhanced scenery, including TJSJ airport, because the default FSX version was misplaced (as were a large percentage of airports in the region) and to showcase new technology from the developer of UTX. This is why it is different from other previous UTX products.

As scenery products which install airports will often provide different and/or enhanced version of the airport navigation files (to reposition navaids, etc.), this can mean that other products which read through all scenery files to build databases of these items may then end up showing multiple entries (original FSX version, addon airport versions, addon scenery versions, etc..). This is to be expected because of the way the the FSX scenery files work.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
claude101141 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 4:07am
Good morning Jeff

1/ "Firstly, as noted in another recent post in this forum, installing scenery into the FSX Addon Scenery folder is never a good idea as it frequently means that you cannot individually disable them from the FSX Scenery Library, and because of layering issues, can make debugging difficult."

This is not true as when I go to the scenery library all my individual scenery addons are perfectly identified and  on the left side of the board, each a little box to check or uncheck which serves to activate/disactivate the scenery concerned; see picture as a proof of what I say. We-re speaking here of FSX original not the the Steam edition which I have not. If Microsoft has given such an opportunity I don't see why it shouldn't be used.

Moreover to be able not to make lengthy searches My addons are sorted by countries on my drive as it shows in the picture on my post.

2/As far as FSC developers are concerned I'm not in a position to judge their methods neither yours; and will not; I'm not taking actions when I load a software when as for UTX and FSC there is an automatic installation program which is meant to do this in my place! I would be a fool not to use it!

3/ I DID NOT MOVE THE UTX FILES OR EXPRESSIM in the end.
As I think I explained very clearly at first what  I did was because I could not know that Expressim was part of UTX. I'm not able to guess that such a program with such a name is related to the UTX addon. USE NAMES THAT  GIVES AMPLE INFORMATION TO THIS. For example give a UTX prefix to the file as for other UTX ones to make sure one doesn't make an unfortunate action. I have developed software for 47 years and always named files so that immediately I could recognize what they were meant for or related to.

When I discovered that UTX and Expressim were linked together I completely uninstalled UTX folder with the uninstall Microsoft manager and then made a full proper installation of the addon and the files were all in the FSX\Scenery\ ...regions as they should be with the original installation Flight1 program. If you read carefully what I wrote it is crystal clear in my explanation.

As far as TJSJ and TJDG are concerned there are only the Flight1 files and the default files in the directory ie FSX\Scenery\"Name of flight1 used"\scenery; as written again this is perfectly clear in what I wrote. When I saw that I have added in FSX\Addon\ an addon of TJSJ the first thing I did was to suppress it from the library as I logically thought the problem was its presence here. Unfortunately the problem remains.

If I took the time to write that long post it was to make sure one would read it carefully in full and could understand the way and the order of my actions were made. I'm not the kind of guy to use Smartphone stupid language. At 78 I still know how to use plain English and my mother French language thank God.

I would like to add Jeff that the least you could do is to express your views without what is somewhat aggressive tone in the way it is written. I've been a rather good and long customer of Flight1 and a little respect to your customers is mandatory. The least you could do is to say "good morning" in your reply. The tone of this reply gives you an idea how yours shocked and hurt me. I'm perhaps touchy but please let's discuss the matter in a friendly tone especially with internet which doesn't facilitate discussions from that point of view.

To conclude I'm fully ready to follow your instructions whatever they may be. So maybe we should analyse the problem more in depth. I'm ready to forward you any files you may need to do so.

Thanks
Claude
Paris-France
claude101141 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 2:01am
Thanks a lot for your absence of help!
Claude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic