SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Opus Software
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coming Soon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2012 at 11:51am
Update...

We have implemented the configurable distance for the new destination ICAO auto weather update. The LWE also gives precedence to your destination METAR if there are multiple met stations in the same weather cell. Testing still progressing well with 2.40, also we have been playing around with the Bump Aircraft effects which I can now confirm bump all aircraft even the PMDG 737NGX. Both the Vatsim and IVAO server options are working well in place of NOAA as well, along with the new options to use Vatsim to fill in missing METARs and enable/disable the weather update on final approach.

Regards
Stephen
Jean-PaulM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean-PaulM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 9:37am
Fantastic,

Looking forward to 2.40. I hope you will find a way to implement the "bump aircraft" option independantly from DHM so that Track-IR users who still use EZCA can enjoy it as well.
Fingers crossed   Smile

Regards
Jean-Paul
Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 10:43am
Unfortunately it is all tied in with the DHM effects which are associated with Live Camera views. The Bump Aircraft effects are driven using the same accelerometer data and controlled (supervised) by the LWE.

Regards
Stephen

P.S. We have also been testing the historic download option today and can confirm this feature will be included in beta 2.40.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean-PaulM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 11:20am
Would it work by disabling TIR in Opus, DHM on, all "head" camera effects off and Bump aircraft on so that EZCA and Opus don't fight each other ? 

Regards
JP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 11:46am
Difficult to say for sure, it relies on the DHM data being processed which is only done when the DHM thread is active.

We have now sent an email to Natural Point explaining the problems some people have experienced with TrackIR using the SDK supplied. Some of those experiencing problems have even tried running the FSXTRACKIR program without OpusFSX server program and they still experienced some jitters. In such circumstances all the TIR interface is doing is relaying the TIR data directly into FSX. I don't know if anyone has tried adjusting some of the Camera light filter threshold and IR brightness parameters. Anyway we will se what NP have to say.

Stephen
SkipperMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkipperMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Jean-PaulM Jean-PaulM wrote:

Would it work by disabling TIR in Opus, DHM on, all "head" camera effects off and Bump aircraft on so that EZCA and Opus don't fight each other ? 

Regards
JP
I'm not sure I want to see the developers spending time (wasting time?) trying to get another camera program to work with OPUS!
SkipperMac aka Norman
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD
birdmanmike View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdmanmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 2:59pm
"I'm not sure I want to see the developers spending time (wasting time?) trying to get another camera program to work with OPUS!"

Agreed - one of the reasons I got Opus was the good camera stuff and it working with P3d right off as well as the WX.  It allowed me to dump  a problem . . . not that it was so bad but Opus is easier and better

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean-PaulM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 3:40pm
Norman, I'm not asking Opus to work with another camera program, I'm just asking Track-Ir to work with Opus. I'd love to dump EZCA as I prefer Opus DHM. Unfortunately, one day it works, the next day I get stutters so until the issue is solved for me and for others, the only thing I request, as long it not to complicated for Stephen and Cheryl, is to have some form of turbulence in flight just as those provided by other weather engines.

Whether it's a waste of time or not, that's up to Stephen and Cheryl to decide. 

Jean-Paul 

mavrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 3:49pm
Jean-Paul,

If I could maybe provide some help, I'd like to try. I too had problems with the stuttering and jumping using DHM or not in P3D but have found a fix to mine. I'm at work, so please excuse any references that aren't verbatim.

1. I initially started using the v5 software from NP, but then switched to v4, this seemed to help.

2. In the TrackIR profile settings, I copied the initial "Flight" profile and added a null zone to all axes of movement.

3. In the Opus configuration window, I set the TrackIR update speed to 20ms, and the next setting below (can't remember off the top of my head what it is) to 0.50 and the XYZ setting to 0.75.

With those settings and the setup, I now do not experience any TrackIR stuttering or jumping, even when my FPS dips way down into ~10 FPS range.

Since I am using P3D, I have completely dumped EZCA by the wayside and use Opus exclusively for camera control and DHM effects (which I think are fantastic compared to EZCA's jerky shakes).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean-PaulM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 4:00pm
Thanks Mavrocket for your help. I'll try your settings ASAP once I'm up an running again. (in the middle of a full re-install and waiting for a 670 GTX to arrive any day now :-)

Regards
Jean-Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 4:30am
We have had a reply from Natural Point who suggests if you are getting stutters, especially different fom one day to the next, then you should try adjust the Camera settings in the TrackIR, changing the Light Filter Threshold, IR Brightness, set Video Processing Mode to Precision with 100% precision mode smoothing etc.

NP said the most likely cause is light interference. You could even set it up by running FSX, TrackIR, and FSXTRACKIR without the OpusFSX server program.

Regards
Stephen
J van E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J van E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 4:57am
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

NP said the most likely cause is light interference.
I think NP is taking the easy way on this... Wink The simple fact is that people who have problems with TrackIR and OpusFSX do not have any problems at all with TrackIR and other programs or addons. So... that eliminates light interference as being the main problem. Wink

BTW Apart from odd movement effects and large jumps in graphics I also switched back to EZCA (for now, that is) because the field of view I can cover with TrackIR and OpusFSX is smaller then with (for instance) EZCA or simply TrackIR alone. With this I mean that when I only use TrackIR or EZCA and TrackIR I can look out of the window and straight behind me, so 180 degrees back. With OpusFSX TrackIR stops when I am looking at an angle of something like 135 degrees, probably even less, so the freedom of looking around is limited. (But maybe I missed some setting there, haha!)

Mind you: all this is totally NOT a problem for me because I bought OpusFSX for the weather engine and I couldn't be more happier with OpusFSX then I am now. Honest. I just can't get over how happy I am with the beautiful 'sky scenery' OpusFSX gives me! (This morning I made up the term 'Sky scenery' which seems to fit the bill perfectly. Wink) The cams are just a bonus for me. Still, the cams ARE part of OpusFSX as it is advertised so I can understand you and everyone else wanting to get this working perfectly. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 5:31am
You cannot compare Opus with EZCA. EZCA does NOT have DHM to take into account which needs 6ms updates, it also eats up about 3 to 6 FPS which we dont. TIR also works perfectly well on the majority of systems. It works 100% on all our systems for instance. The EZCA wobbles can be processed at a much slower frequency. NP are the experts here, after all it is their product and their SDK, although there may be many other factors involved.

I may prepare another interface program in the future if there is no resolution to this problem, this one based on timer loops rather that multi-threading. Personally I could not do without DHM, but if your systems are stuttering then perhaps the DHM cannot be rendered smoothly as well. But at the moment there are much more important updates to be working on.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 5:40am
Interesting comment JP. If it works one day and not the next perhaps that indicates a relationship to FSX performance.

Cheryl
Hangar34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 5:46am
If someone wants to send me their TrackIR, I'll be more than happy to test it thoroughly :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 6:06am
Originally posted by mavrocket mavrocket wrote:

I now do not experience any TrackIR stuttering or jumping, even when my FPS dips way down into ~10 FPS range.

Hi Mavrocket,

Can you confirm what version of TIR hardware you have 4 or 5?

Thanks
Cheryl
fiftysix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiftysix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 6:11am

Very interesting thread.

I was having a few issues and stutters with trackir too. I found by adjusting my trackir settings: speed = 0.5 and smoothness = 50, this has made it much more smoother and hardly any stutters at all.

Iím very happy with Opus and cannot be without the DHM now, itís become a necessity for me since experiencing it, going back to default cameras sucks

Smile
mavrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 10:44am

Hi Mavrocket,

Thanks
Cheryl

Cheryl,

I have version 4 and I'm using the latest v4 beta drivers that NP posted a couple of weeks ago.

I should also note that I had to decrease the light sensitivity on my TrackIR due to a heatlamp my oldest son uses for his turtle's cage behind me. This may have had a positive effect that I hadn't considered.

Perhaps in the new beta drivers something happened to the light sensitivity that is causing a few people's problems.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 10:51am
That is the first thing NP suggested to us, almost said it was essential to tweak the settings any time you notice stuttering. They also suggested trying to alter the IR strength. These were the number one, most likely causes of stuttering.

Stephen

P.S. Beta version 2.40 is just about ready now with Vatsim and IVAO server options, better wind stabilisation surface wind recovery, option to specify destination ICAO with an auto weather update distance (plus a second auto update 20 miles out), option to use historic data for any time in the previous 24 hour period with normal weather updating as you fly.

Current work in progress ... Bump Aircraft turbulent motions, manual camera view ordering, live arrow key camera view head movements.
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by mavrocket mavrocket wrote:

Hi Mavrocket,

Thanks
Cheryl

Cheryl,

I have version 4 and I'm using the latest v4 beta drivers that NP posted a couple of weeks ago.

I should also note that I had to decrease the light sensitivity on my TrackIR due to a heatlamp my oldest son uses for his turtle's cage behind me. This may have had a positive effect that I hadn't considered.

Perhaps in the new beta drivers something happened to the light sensitivity that is causing a few people's problems.

Mavrocket,

You may also want to try TIR driver 5.1.300 on your TIR4.  That's exactly what I'm running and have had no issues since I installed it a year ago.  My TIR is also smooth as a baby's bum with Opus LC!Embarrassed

Brent
i7-7700K, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, Asus GeForce GTX 970, 32Gb, TM Warthog HOTAS, W10 64bit, DX10 FSX with Accel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 3:38am
Four Alternate Airfield Choices ...

Two more alternates for you to set and monitor weather reports from.

Single Report Selection Window ...

A single window allowing you to navigate the available weather reports without continually using the FSX menu.

Shortcut Button or Key Commands ...

Optional configurable shortcut buttons or key commands to perform all common actions, menu selections, and display weather related reports etc.

Regards
Stephen Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 6:00am
Current Development Plan ...

What I am thinking of doing in the next beta is downloading all forecast data for the relevent upper altitude levels and then extrapolating the data to give very accurate ambient air temperature and wind speed targets at each of the upper FL targets injected into FSX. I will then calculate a best fit linear equation with a positive slope (most important for FSX) to set the wind direction in an FSX friendly manner (that is always veering upwards).

For now, the current beta just uses the tropopause data and a bit of guess work. The accuracy at different FLs will come in the next beta, that is provided you take into account the imposed limitations of the predicted wind directions.

I hope this meets with everyone's approval. In the meantime, you can give some thought to what flight planning assistance you would like to see, or feel necessary. Only thoughts at the moment, I will probably open another sticky topic for that discussion soon.

Regards
Stephen
Adamski_NZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 6:25am
A bit off-topic, but I'd like to say how much I appreciate the way this product is being developed. The communication is great. I'm going to miss these daily betas as and when OPUS gets "finished" (I resisted the temptation to say "if", LOL).

It's great to get a peek of what happens "under the bonnet" - even if you don't understand it a 100% - and get an idea of how much work goes into it. I was thinking of starting to whinge about the camera system at some stage, but I can see (by following things here) that it'd all be relatively worthless if the basic weather functions are flawed.

Keep taking the tablets!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 6:34am
There will be quite a few beta dev cycles improving the camera functions in the future. The dev and enhancements to the product will continue indefinitely though as the product improves and new features are added. There will certainly be ongoing discussions and upgrades for years to come.

Regards
Stephen
Adamski_NZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 6:40am

There will certainly be ongoing discussions and upgrades for years to come.

I usually, hate this kind of slang, but I think "bring it on!" is what I'm looking for here!

Amazing how far the beta has come, compared to my initial download not so very long ago.

Adam.
19ab67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19ab67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 7:39am
Please go ahead with the winds/temps aloft. 
Since I fly a lot of long distance, the FSX weather is my current alternative...  8^(
19ab67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19ab67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 7:42am
... I mean between TOC and TOD... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 7:58am
We are already undertaking the beta testing as part of the beta dev cycle for the upper forecast data. The next beta will be 2.60.4.

Regards
Stephen
Alec246 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alec246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 9:34am
I like having proper Wind Speeds and temperature, even if the wind direction isn't 100% like the Forecast. If I expect a 95 knots headwind during cruise, and I get 30 knots it's very disappointing, but if I get the 95 knots wind but like 30 degrees from the direction I was expecting. not so much.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 9:41am
That's good because if you read the post above ... Current Development Plan, that's exactly what you are going to get but most times the direction would be very close.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 2:14am
New Development Plans ...

Thanks everyone for your assistance, I have had the following ideas for the next phases of development regarding the GRIB forecast data, and have also decided to complete the full automation of the wind stabilisation.

GRIB Phase Two Development ...

Background processing

All the GRIB download, data extraction and decoding will be done in the background so as to have no impact on the general operation and performance of OpusFSX and the simulator. The software will be ready for release at this point.

Historic Data

This option will be accomodated and the appropriate forecast cycle data downloaded and prepared. Initially this will be for the previous 24 hour period in keeping with the current historic weather option. The implementation of the historic option may proceed as part of the next phase, I am not sure at this moment.

Onward and upward as the saying goes ...

Regards
Stephen Thumbs Up
Chunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 3:21pm
Thanks for all of your efforts Stephen.  This piece of software is evolving at a such a rapid rate, and it has been a great ride!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2012 at 11:32am
Cirrus Cloud Options ...

An Avsim member has requested we consider allowing the cirrus cloud to be turned on/off randomly. I am not totally convinced about having it randomly come and go but I have had the idea of making it a bit more automatic and weather related. As you may know cirrus can indicate changing weather, normally up to 12 or 24 hours ahead of its arrival. The cirrus cloud can precede warm and cold fronts, approaching storm conditions etc.

What I had in mind was an on/off/auto option, and if you select auto the LWE will decide whether to display cirrus based on the current weather conditions, especially comparing the conditions with the weather on the extremities of the weather map, some 300+ miles away beyond your horizon. If the LWE sees weather that may indicate an approaching weather front, more precipitation, changing pressures, or changing temperatures, strong winds etc. it could display the cirrus, otherwise show clear upper skies. That way the cirrus would indicate changing weather conditions in the distance. Not exactly 12 hours away but it would at least be some way intelligent and conditional, as opposed to a role of the dice. God does not play dice ... but then he didn't have to deal with FSX.

Regards
Stephen
Hangar34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2012 at 1:02pm
That sounds totally sensible. A random occurrence of cirrus doesn't really fit in with Opus' ethos of depicting accurate weather, whereas basing the appearance of cirrus based on the nearest thing you have to incoming/future weather (i.e. weather cells on the extremities) seems completely logical.

Sounds like a great addition, go for it.
SkipperMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkipperMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2012 at 1:12pm
Brilliant idea! Is it in a beta yet?
SkipperMac aka Norman
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD
peebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2012 at 1:35pm
+1 best solution I feel and in keeping with what OpusFSX is all about

Phil
skypara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2012 at 11:44pm
I was thinking whether having the cirrus layer injected randomly is feasible, but to relate it to the actual weather would be even better.
Regards,

Martin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2012 at 4:36am
Current Development Plans ...

The GRIB phase two development has now been completed and we are about to issue the first release version of OpusFSX including the true upper wind and temperature forecast data. We have also conducted further tests with FSX and discovered some very interesting results and behavoir. These results may allow us to reduce any wind shifts to just minor wobbles in the future and force FSX to adhere to the GRIB forecasted targets more precisely. But we have to get there in stages. Hence,

GRIB Phase Three Development ...

Further Altitude Coverage

We are going to investigate including a greater altitude level coverage, providing detailed forecast data for Low, Medium, and High altitude ranges. The LWE will adjust the altitude targets as you climb or descend always giving FSX accurate targets to adhere to. Seperate Low, Medium, and High Altitude weather reports may also be provided allowing the user to monitor the resulting forecasted data.

Automated Wind Stabilisation ...

The Wind Stabilisation option will be retained and allow users to force stabilised winds from the ground up. However, wind stabilisation mode will also be automatically enabled each time you climb above the Recovery Altitude (RA) + 500 feet. After that all the usual wind stabilisation and recovery procedures will be activated.

Regards
Stephen
paulhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2012 at 6:07am

Cirrus Cloud Options ...

An Avsim member has requested we consider allowing the cirrus cloud to be turned on/off randomly. I am not totally convinced about having it randomly come and go but I have had the idea of making it a bit more automatic and weather related. As you may know cirrus can indicate changing weather, normally up to 12 or 24 hours ahead of its arrival. The cirrus cloud can precede warm and cold fronts, approaching storm conditions etc.

What I had in mind was an on/off/auto option, and if you select auto the LWE will decide whether to display cirrus based on the current weather conditions, especially comparing the conditions with the weather on the extremities of the weather map, some 300+ miles away beyond your horizon. If the LWE sees weather that may indicate an approaching weather front, more precipitation, changing pressures, or changing temperatures, strong winds etc. it could display the cirrus, otherwise show clear upper skies. That way the cirrus would indicate changing weather conditions in the distance. Not exactly 12 hours away but it would at least be some way intelligent and conditional, as opposed to a role of the dice. God does not play dice ... but then he didn't have to deal with FSX.

Regards
Stephen

Hi Stephen - already said "brilliant" over at Avsim, but for the record here as well, that's a great solution to my suggestion and I look forward to seeing it when you have a chance to incorporate it.

Really appreciate the amazingly fast response.

Cheers
Paul
ClapClapClapClapClap 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2012 at 7:35am
Hi All

We will be making a start on the next beta dev cycle very soon, beta 2.70.0. Introducing the above developments along with some very interesting ideas relating to the FSX targets and helping FSX stick to them. This dev cycle will see more automatic operation and introduce the automatic wind stabilisation.

Regards
Stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
  Share Topic