SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Opus Software
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coming Soon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coming Soon
    Posted: October-08-2012 at 7:25am
Live Camera Views ...

The Camera Transition Speed will be adjustable for each individual camera view, the valid range can be set to either zero (instant) or any value ranging from 1 (fastest) to 50 (slowest).

A Disable TrackIR option is being added to camera view configuration and a Toggle TrackIR On/Off button will be provided to enable or disable the use of the TrackIR device whilst editing camera views.

The standard FSX Hat switch can now be used to pan the view with TrackIR when the TrackIR device is paused. The TIR raw data scanning frequency increased to about 80 times a second.

A DHM Rotorcraft option is being added to increase the level of the vibration effects when flying helicopters.

LC will allow the same joystick button or keyboard key to be assigned to multiple camera views. In such cases, repeated use of the joystick button or key input will cycle through the associated camera views.

We have also separated the In Flight 'low frequency' turbulent motion controls from the vibration controls providing separate slider controls for each.

The wind smoothing effects have been extended, and the fog and mist effects both now use 8 octas cover with half thickness for mist covered areas.

Regards
Stephen
gjharrall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjharrall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 12:22pm
great news!

will the cycle camera option only apply to cameras that are created for the current active aircraft?
gjharrall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjharrall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 12:24pm
also very pleased that the vibration and turbulence sliders will be separated!

great again....
Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 12:32pm
The cycle will apply to the aircraft associated with the camera view, which may be a group or all aircraft according to what you have configured.

Regards
Cheryl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 5:46am
Coming Next details ammended ... currently testing Beta 2.25.0.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 7:28am
Cirrus Cloud ...

We will allow you to specify a minimum and maximum altitude for the cirrus cloud layer, valid range from 18,000 ft to 50,000 ft. On program startup the LWE will use these settings to calculate an altitude between the configured min and max and set all cirrus accordingly.

Historic METAR Data ...

We have contacted the owners of the Navlost.eu website and requested access to their website for the purpose of downloading historic METAR data. I would expect all users wishing to use this facility will have to register themselves with this site.

Regards
Stephen
Pierdail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierdail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 5:57am
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Hi Stephen,
Could you increase the transition time between two camera currently spend a maximum of 50 to 100 for example have a panoramic slower transition .

Thank you in advance.

Pierre

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 6:02am
Previous 24 Hour METAR Data ...

We are now looking to download the METAR cycle data direct from the NOAA site based on a user specified Zulu hour (00 to 23). For example, for the previous 09:00 Zulu hourly period the METARs will be downloaded from,

The software will download the relevent METAR cycle data, extract the latest relevent METAR reports and build the dynamic weather. The download and update must be requested manually via the Weather dialog.

Regards
Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 6:03am
Hi Pierre

I will do it now and update the current beta. Don't download until I report back here.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 6:18am
Hi Pierre

You can download Beta version 2.25.1 zip file now (as from 10:17 Zulu) with transition time adjustable from 0 to 100 as requested.

Regards
Stephen
Pierdail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierdail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 9:31am
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Thank you, Stephen the transition is flawless
Pierre

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 3:48am
Wind Smoothing and Stabilisation (combatting the FSX winds aloft bug) ...

I will be providing an option to minimise the weather smoothing going back to the earliest releases which were far more relaxed, but it all depends on what flying you do.

If you are flying at high level then you MUST take into account the FSX winds aloft bug. This WILL produce severe wind shifts if you allow the surface wind to change, or even allow certain changes to occur on in the surface conditions.

I will however provide an option for users to minimise the smoothing but the onus is on the user, you know about the FSX problem, so if you relax it then you must accept the consequences at higher altitudes. But for those that fly low level VFR then you can relax the smoothing and you should get accurate surface winds in all but the most severe cases.

I will also provide a Recovery option which will force a wind recovery no matter what when the aircraft descends below the Recovery altitde. You are most likely to get a wind shift when you do recover but if you set the Recovery altitude low enough (say 10000 feet) it shouldn't be too bad., you should have slowed to about 240 knots by then anyway, so the aircraft sim should cope with it.

At present the LWE will only recover the surface winds if the wind direction is within 30 degrees of the stabilised direction. I will add the above options in the next beta which should help both low level VFR and high level IFR flyers alike.

Regards
Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 4:03am
Future Wind Smoothing ...

I cannot go into details but in conjunction with our planned Weather Smoothing and Cloud Stabilisation upgrade we will be able to make the wind smoothing more dynamic and intelligent. Basically as you descend the LWE will relax the wind smoothing, without needing to download new METAR reports, it will simply adjust the wind smoothing so that by the time you are ready to listen to your destination's ATIS report, the reported wind should be back in agreement with the METARs.

This is not really a Coming Next, more like a Before You Ask type post. Smile

Regards
Stephen
Pierdail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierdail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 8:33am
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> < ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> < ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Hi Stephen,
Is it possible to add a command in the menu "Local Weather Report "which would artificially increase or decrease cloud cover , so get closer to the actual appearance generated, if the coverage , is not enough or too dense, due to soft limits of FSX.

Increase lower cloud coverage
decrease lower cloud coverage
Increase high cloud coverage
decrease high cloud coverage

Each click on menu line increase or decrease for 1 octa

Thank you.

Pierre

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 8:46am
Have you tried changing your cloud density ... But this toipic is really for Coming Next notifications.

The menu is limited to 10 lines so it cannot be used for this. Second I am only interested in real weather and do not want people altering the cloud coverage to suit there tastes. I haven't noticed anything strange in the broken cloud coverage, try using a GLOB METAR to check the differences and perhaps try using different cloud textures. I will investigate but I thought everyone was happy with the weather depiction.

The only thing I could possibly do is add another option to the Weather dialog to provide a fine (1 octa) alteration for few, scattered, and broken coverage so you can decide whether broken is depicted as 5, 6 or 7 octas. But I am not sure how it will work within FSX.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:54am
Forced Surface Wind Recovery ...

We will now be including a Max Allowed Wind Difference setting for you to adjust. The default setting will be 30 degrees, a setting of 0 almost disables the recovery, a setting of 180 degrees will always force a surface wind recovery. This setting will allow you to fine tune the recovery system.

I may also allow you to adjust the amount of wind smoothing by specifying the maximum allowed wind shift in degrees per 32km (or 20 miles). There will still be a Disable Winds Aloft Smoothing option which has to take into account other factors. The specified wind smoothing limit only applies when the disable option is set. Enabling the usual winds aloft smoothing will force the current restricted wind movements to be imposed with no control over them.

Regards
Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 11:01am
Historic METAR Data ...

We will soon release the first version including this option. The initial option will allow you to select and download METAR data direct from the NOAA historic database, which includes all METARs for each of the previous 24 hours, in Zulu time. Hence this option will be restricted to downloading METAR reports archived over the previous 24 hour period. Future versions will allow you to select other historic METAR sites.

Regards
Stephen
Hangar View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:50pm
just a quick word of caution here...move slowly when it comes to adding in lots of adjustable options that sound confusing (wind recovery? wind smoothing). Things like that should work on their own without options if you ask me...you're moving too fast maybe... try not to lose sight of what makes Opus different and better (one of these things is simplicity and no need to have to weed thru 15 different options and learn what they all do). It's a big reason why I dont bother with AS or REX (even though Ive been simming for more than 20 years). Just too many choices and too time consuming...the more choices and features the easier things tend to break too and cause other issues.

It's my opinion that  in some cases you may actually be better off deciding on your own how things should work and leave it at that.
JetNoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JetNoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 12:40am

big +1 for the previous poster.
Stephen, don't loose it, keep the UI as simple as necessary and everything else as realistic as possible.

A happy customer
Oliver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 2:47am
But no one setting will satisfy all systems, so what do I do?

All I can do is make the defaults suit most systems, but I can't just ignore those who are still having problems on their system.

What if I include 'Default Low VFR' and 'Default High IFR' buttons which will set the defaults for those flying VFR below 20,000 feet or those flying mostly IFR at high altitude.

Stephen
FoolCryptic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FoolCryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 3:26am
Morning Stephen,

If users have bought into the idea of 'beta testing' then i'm sure they'll find their sweet spots.
All the tools are there as it stands because it obviously works well for most...incredibly well.

You cannot possibly meet the needs of every FSX rig out there.

I agree with the above...revisit TrackIR some other time and let's get that weather nailed down.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 3:41am
We are making a start now !

There will be a Relax Wind Smoothing option, ideal for low level (< 20,000ft) flyers, and a Max Wind Difference specified in degress for the surface wind Recovery decision, ideal for the high flyers.

As mentioned in future I may be able to provide a more dynamic option to the wind smoothing which adjusts itself as you descend.

Stephen
Hangar34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 5:24am
Quote What if I include 'Default Low VFR' and 'Default High IFR' buttons which will set the defaults for those flying VFR below 20,000 feet or those flying mostly IFR at high altitude.

I think that is a great idea, and a perfect solution for those who just want to run OpusFSX and fly in whatever altitude scenario they want. Pretty much what I had in mind when I suggested the 'Recommended Settings' sticky topic.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 8:09am
The next steps are virtually carved in stone now ...

Historic METAR data ...

Initially using the NOAA 24 hour cylcle data and loaded based on your chosen Zulu hour.

GRIB True Winds Aloft data ...

Yes its finally time. Beer

Regards
Stephen
NaMcO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaMcO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Hangar Hangar wrote:

just a quick word of caution here...move slowly when it comes to adding in lots of adjustable options that sound confusing (wind recovery? wind smoothing). Things like that should work on their own without options if you ask me...you're moving too fast maybe...

I have to agree. I think the weather engine moved too fast and i'm back to 2.24 once again. I encountered too many things i cannot control or find the cause in 2.25/6/7 and just went back to "safety".

To me, or if you prefer in my case, 2.24 is just weather-perfect only lacking the random cirrus altitude setting and maybe some turbulence while in the clouds.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 8:49am
That doesn't make sense. 2.25 only changed the fog and mist effects to improve their appearance, 2.26 introduced variable cloud height for cirrus, 2.27 corrected a small problem in the LWE and reintroduced the transition/recovery altitudes (these options were never removed, just disabled by setting the TA to 60000 in the software), and finally 2.28 introduces options to improve low level flying and give users control over the recovery conditions.

In effect, if you fix the cirrus at 42000 feet, set the TA to 60000 feet (the default) and do not relax the wind smoothing then its the same LWE as in 2.24. Only the options have changed, not the engine.

Stephen
NaMcO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaMcO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 8:59am
I won't be updating about this in this thread anymore as this isn't the place, but i noticed 2.28 beta is out, and once i finish this flight i'm going to give it a go, hoping i can eat my words.

Seriously, this weather engine is something, i'm just afraid you guys ruin it LOL

I'll report about my problems (if any) in the respective thread and will also stop posting about this on AVSIM in order to keep things tight and focused in one place so no info is lost.

Once again, thank you for your GREAT support and for writing OpusFSX.
Hangar View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

What if I include 'Default Low VFR' and 'Default High IFR' buttons which will set the defaults for those flying VFR below 20,000 feet or those flying mostly IFR at high altitude. 
Stephen

Yea, if you must make more options then this is a better idea...good thinking.

A really good idea (when it comes to all the options) is to have mouseover balloons that explains what the option does for the average user (in layman's terms, how itll effect the flight) and what the recommended setting is.
jordanal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Hangar Hangar wrote:

A really good idea (when it comes to all the options) is to have mouseover balloons that explains what the option does for the average user (in layman's terms, how itll effect the flight) and what the recommended setting is.

A most-excellent suggestion, Hanger!  +1
Al Jordan

FSX Rig: i7 2600k, 4.8GHz / Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Mushkin DDR3-1600 8GB / EVGA GTX 570 GPU / TX850 PSU / Graphite 600T Case

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 11:01am
I have a Help button down on the list, how about that, but mouse over also works

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 7:56am
In no particular order,

Historic METAR data ...

Initially using the NOAA 24 hour cylcle data and loaded based on your sims current Zulu hour.

Weather Smoothing ...

Automatically smoothing out the weather transitions between METAR updates and reducing the weather data burden on the simulator.

True Winds/Temps Aloft data ...

Using the GRIB data from the NOAA site.

Panning Control Keys ...

Additional Live Camera option to pan the view around using the four arrow keys + two others.

Choice of Weather Servers ...

Allows you to specify your primary choice of weather server, initially a choice of either the NOAA server (default), the Aviation Digital Data Service (ADDS) server, or Vatsim. You will also be able tospecify an optional secondary server choice (for any missing METARS).

New METAR Station List ...

A revised up to date list of METAR sites.

Regards
Stephen
bblackkbirdd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bblackkbirdd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 2:06pm

Hi Gents - the Ol' Blackbird is here - just for a moment.  Don't know if this is the right place to ask this - if not - feel free to move / delete.  My question: (I feel like an idiot asking):  what is "Relax Wind Smoothing"?  My confusion:

I understand what it means to apply wind smoothing.  That is a constraint, (sort of).  Now, if I RELAX that constraint, does that mean I am now allowing  more wind smoothing, or less of it?  Sorry if this should be obvious, but I am struggling with that one title.  Duh!!!

Stephen, I think the idea of Default low VFR and Default high IFR settings is a good starting point.  I also agree with another user who said something to the effect that the real "beta" users will find their own settings by experimentation.  Myself, I like a default to start from (and to be able to return to, should I mess up too badly).  LOL

Thank you!

All best,  Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

Still the BEST new product for FSX!!!!!!!!!  Thanks, Stephen, et al.

Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 5:37am
Hi
Relaxing wind smoothing means having less smoothing and more realistic winds.

Regards
Cheryl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bblackkbirdd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 7:48am
Hi, Cheryl.... thank you!  That's what I kind of thought, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks very much!

All best,

Ray Landolt (Blackbird)
SkipperMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkipperMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

Hi
Relaxing wind smoothing means having less smoothing and more realistic winds.

Regards
Cheryl

Would it not be more logical for the opposite of this, ie, default to the most realistic winds and have to tick the box for less realistic, smoothed winds if the FSX bug was proving to be a problem? Perhaps that would be less confusing, and more in line with the Opus philosophy of the most realistic weather in FSX?

Just a thought...
SkipperMac aka Norman
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 8:47am
That's a good idea, we have ended up as we are because we have been imposing smoothing to stop those wind shifts and ended up with the smoothing on as default. I will consider reversing the logic of the option in the very near future.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bblackkbirdd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 9:24am
I like SkipperMac's idea, Stephen.  
I was about to suggest something like "more smoothing, less smoothing"....... or......."no smoothing" and "smoothing".  Didn't know if it is possible to execute wind smoothing in increasing or decreasing steps (for those folks who really love to "tinker" with Opus).

Myself, I like it simple and lean.

This is the most fun I've had with FSX in years!!!!  Keep going!!!! LOL

All best,
Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 10:00am
Hi Ray

I will reverse the logic for now. When we start the Weather Smoothing I hope to be able to implement some sort of automatic option, it depends how it turns out. But the default should be disabled for low level VFR and no smoothing or messing with reality. I think the fun will really start with the Weather Smoothing, won't really know until we try it all out and see where it takes us. But I agree it should be kept as simple as possible with options for those who want to tinker, you're right though it will be fun.

Regards
Stephen
SkipperMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkipperMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:25pm
Excellent news

I'll not get to try it out for a bit as I'm spending next week bobbing around somewhere between Pembrokeshire and Cornwall. Flying will resume next weekend hopefully.
SkipperMac aka Norman
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 6:41am
I haven't reversed the logic, the Weather dialog options looked a bit confusing, but I have turned the Relax Surface Wind Smoothing option ON as the default.

Stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic