SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Antivirus- Free v Pay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antivirus- Free v Pay
    Posted: August-09-2018 at 3:59pm
Hi Guys,
Been running free versions for many years without any problems. Now that the web
is becoming more of a minefield i was wondering about going the Payware way.
Is payware that much better than the free ones?
I know NOD32 seems to be the preferred one. The Home edition is available in 3 versions.
The premium at 2x the base one, really that much better.
What version is recommended for general home use.
All comments welcome.
Thanks
Les
vic_baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 4:37pm
I've been using the basic NOD32 AV for years with no issues at all.

Vic
3770K 4.7G ASUS Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1050ti 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, HAF942 - H100 water W10 Pro

7700K 5.0g Asus X270F 3600 15-15-15 GTX1080ti 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAFX-H100 Water W10 Pro
Bert Pieke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Pieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 4:42pm
I've been using the basic AVG free AV for years with no issues at all.
Bert
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 5:03pm
NOD32, just the AV not the security suite or other options..

Ted striker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted striker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 2:04pm
I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for years with no issues...........that I know of Confused

One thing that I've always been concerned about with all security software, especially freeware, is that nothing is ever free so how are they staying in business and what data are they taking from me to do so. You are essentially giving the security software company the keys to your computer. I figured Microsoft already has the keys to my computer so using their anti-virus is not exposing myself any further.

I can get Norton Security "free" with my Comcast cable but what is it really costing me?

I am curious about other's thoughts on this.

Ted

3770K @4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-C12P, Asus Z77-V Deluxe, Corsair 2133-9-11-10-27-2T, 780 GTX, Win7-64 on 256gb Intel SSD, FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 on 500gb Intel SSD, PC Power & Cooling 750W, Antec P193 case
kiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 4:58pm
Thanks Guys,
Ted yes i would really like to know just what we sacrifice by going the free way.
Does anyone have thoughts re this.
Les
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2018 at 1:47am
I think we are spending way too much time on analysis.

As for free. I have a motto I live by.. 'you get what you pay for'.

I use what I use for a reason. Your mileage may vary.

NOD32 AV, OPT OUT of their 'threat sense' report system when installing..

Under the NOD setting for 'Scheduler' change the 'regular automatic update' time to 600 minutes (AKA every 10 hours)

And turn off any/all Windows Update check under: Setup > Computer Protection > Real Time File System > Configure > Tools > Microsoft Windows Update - drop down = NO UPDATES - click OK

done, other than manual file/folder exclusions. Everything else is 'autopilot'

NOD32 will automatically flip to 'GAME MODE' when any full screen application is launched or any window box game is running. It returns to scan mode automatically when the application is closed.

No need to turn anything off/on or check any status.

As Ron Popiel said...  'set it and forget it'  (unless you see a NOD32 RED BOX, then READ! LOL)
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2018 at 9:38pm
On the subject of free AV..  its not say they are all bad or not good. I have typically found over the years looking at several of them that they tend to take over a system and use a lot of background resources. They will call home constantly because the data collection is one of the primary reasons why its free.

If a system is going to be used for surfing and emailing it needs some kind of AV and malware security solution. If the payware solutions are not in the budget then the free solutions are available.

One thing is for certain, you do not need 'firewalls' 'internet security suites' and all sorts of over the top security software, just a decent basic AV and malware solutions. I run Malwarebytes Free version once a month along with running a booted AV solution.

kiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2018 at 4:42am
Thanks Nick much appreciated.
Les
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic