SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED] What do I need

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starlifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] What do I need
    Posted: December-26-2018 at 5:30pm
Been away for a while and am updating my flight sim stuff. I uninstalled FSX and terrain/aircraft and going to reinstall everythinig "clean".
UTX, GEX, mesh, landclass.....what do I need to enhance the experience?
Damn, I drink good beer!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 5:37pm
....The latest versions of all your products.

GEX has been updated as well as UTX over time

Starlifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starlifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 10:05am
OK....so one needs both GEX and UTX? Does one of those include a "land class"? Is a "land class" required? How do they work together?

Thanks.
Damn, I drink good beer!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 1:24pm

UTX provides refined features such as roads, rivers, streams, lakes, night lighting, etc. UTX has landclass. That is part of what they provide. The UTX landclass is very focused for city/suburb and industrial rendering which is what makes larger population centers look more like their real world counterparts. Some like to add a 3rd party landclass to enhance the more rural areas letting UTX take care of the cities/suburbs/industrials. The 3rd party LC (if desired) must be properly located in the scenery library list with UTX.

Mesh is the wire frame the textures sit on top of in the sim. It creates the elevations and the topography of the environment. It is not textures or scenery. You do not see mesh, you see the elevation changes in the earth it may make. Mesh can be a good addition if you know the area and its topography. Mesh can be a waste of money and disk space if you do not have a visual need for critical topography and elevation rendering. Make sure the disk space consumption, CPU and system resources along with the visual result is worth it to you and that you can visually recognize the difference before piling on and shoveling into mesh.

GEX is the textures and autogen that cover the mesh and are called by landclass be it default, rural or UTX. It also provides upgrades to the small number of suburb/industrial tiles that UTX provides and works in concert with it. The city models, airports and landmarks are not replaced by any of these products. UTX may add some rural airports that do not exist and will reposition some airports that are not in their correct position or orientation to GPS in the sim but everything you visually see in terms of the ground textures is GEX.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starlifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 3:13pm
Thanks, Nick, for that information. Mesh is what I suspected and doubt I need it. I had older versions of GEX and UTX both, but couldn't remember why. Space shouldn't be an issue as I'm putting everything on a 1tb SSD.

Thanks, again.
Damn, I drink good beer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starlifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 11:17am
I purchased and installed for FSX, UTX for FSX and P3D, and GEX NA, and installed both into FSX on my SSD. all appears to be working well. My P3Dv4 is on my C drive. Which drive would be better to install UTX P3D on?

Also, can you point me to where I can find out how to configure UTX and GEX to get the most out of them?

Thanks.
Damn, I drink good beer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starlifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 11:44am
Upon further review, as they say, should I refrain from installing UTX for P3D, and just purchase and install GEP3D (World Version) v1.2, having read the following concerning GEP3D v1.2:

It is Prepar3Dv4 with UTX as the landclass and GEP3D v1.2 as the land textures.

Damn, I drink good beer!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 2:32pm
GEP3D is the entire world in textures and autogen. It is not landclass.

You must have the latest version of UTX to move into Prepar3D v4. The older versions, if we are talking 2-3 years ago have issues and will not work.

There is no difference between FSX and P3D when it comes to how the scenery system works, its the same, the differences are in the technical.

If you are looking at P3D I suggest you may wish to read this post as it will outline how to use products and what to watch out for...

And if you are new to P3D you should probably do some reading because its all changed from the FSX days in terms of hardware and setup. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starlifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 3:10pm
I had P3D v2 and have P3D v4, but I'm sure the reading will do me good.

I saw the post from 10/1/18:

"OFFICIAL GEP3D v1.20 EUROPE USA + WORLD UPGRADES?"

Containing within the post a sort of "headline":

Ground Environment Prepar3D World Edition

Update to v1.20

Under which the following is found: "It is Prepar3Dv4 with UTX as the landclass and GEPeD as the land textures."

I thought "it" was referring to what was called "Ground Environment Prepar3D World Edition", indicating UTX was a part of "Ground Environment Prepar3D World Edition".

And referring back to my OP of 12:17 today:

I purchased and installed for FSX, UTX for FSX and P3D, and GEX NA, and installed both into FSX on my SSD. all appears to be working well. My P3Dv4 is on my C drive. Which drive would be better to install UTX P3D on?

Also, can you point me to where I can find out how to configure UTX and GEX to get the most out of them?

Thanks.
Damn, I drink good beer!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 3:52pm

"OFFICIAL GEP3D v1.20 EUROPE USA + WORLD UPGRADES"

Means focused Europe and USA updates with 'entire world' texture upgrades, it says nothing about landclass

"It is Prepar3Dv4 with UTX as the landclass and GEPeD as the land textures."

You are taking a single statement about images I posted for folks to review and removing that single sentence from the context. .  https://www.simforums.com/forums/official-gep3d-v1-20-europe-usa-world-upgrades_topic60596_post385974.html#385974

That refers to the images I posted showing the product. In order to make sure the person viewing the images understands there is a 3rd party landclass product in use (UTX) I call it "Truth in Advertising"

Unlike 'other' developers who used shader hacks, image manipulation, addon environments that have nothing to do with what you will receive for the purchase, and, video tricks, we don't that here.

What you see in the images is exactly what you get and to be sure the person knows what addons are in use, I posted

QUOTE:

I will add more images to this thread and note the locations.

There are no shader hacks or any 3rd party image shadow or color manipulation addons running.

It is Prepar3Dv4 with UTX as the landclass and GEP3D v1.2 as the land textures.

I am not a screenshot advertising artist and we don't hire them,.
I just take pictures as I go along! LOL

How you would assume that GEP3D includes UTX from that statement I am not sure. We have nothing to do with UTX other than we provide upgraded files for users so UTX and GEX/GEP3D blend together in concert.

I guess I could have said "These images are Prepar3Dv4 with UTX as the landclass and GEP3D v1.2 as the land textures."    One could read that too and assume the same thing you did however I surmised from the context that the statement was clear.  If that was not the case, I apologize.

Scroll down to: SETTING UP UTX For Performance and visuals...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starlifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 5:45pm
Thanks, Nick. Clearer now. I had read the entire post and viewed all the images but assumed they were from some update to "Ground Environment Prepar3D World Edition", i.e. a software product in and of itself.

Thanks, again.
Damn, I drink good beer!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 6:28pm
Those images ARE from a comprehensive update to GEP3D. Everything you visually SEE is GEP3D.

The 'layout' of the textures and where/how they are used is controlled by the landclass product (UTX). Every image you looked at, you were seeing GEP3D.

We have nothing to do with UTX, SceneryTech or any other scenery developer/product. We simply enhance what UTX provides and also enhance 3rd party landclass products.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic