SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED - UPDATED] P3DV5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED - UPDATED] P3DV5
    Posted: April-12-2020 at 3:08pm
====================================================
EDIT: FYI

GEP3D is good to go for P3Dv5, however, there are files that need to be updated and those will be addressed in a patch. There is no risk of damage or performance issues with the current GEP3D version but there are some good patch changes coming to complement P3Dv5 with GEP3D. I will make an announcement when the patch is ready.
=====================================================

Nick - 

Someone has to ask :)   will we need an updated GEXP3D for V5? Do you have any info on UTX for V5 or should I ask Allen?

Thanx,

Vic
3770K 4.7G ASUS Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, HAF942 - H100 water W10 Pro

7700K 5.0g Asus X270F 3600 15-15-15 RTX2080ti 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAFX-H100 Water W10 Pro
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 4:41pm
For GEP3D I am still running tests and checks to assure it can be used.

UTX I do not think has any plans to move to v5 at this time according to a post over there but I don't know what they doing and when
vic_baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 7:10pm
I suspected as much.

Thanx and I hope all is well with you!

3770K 4.7G ASUS Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, HAF942 - H100 water W10 Pro

7700K 5.0g Asus X270F 3600 15-15-15 RTX2080ti 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAFX-H100 Water W10 Pro
jhaley101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhaley101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 8:43pm
I'm thinking the curtain is closing on all of UTX and XPressim stuff.   

There isn't a lot of choice left for the old guard now.  I love the GEP3D and UTX lines but there has been next to nothing posted on the forums for the longest time.   

Wish it would just be definitive.   
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 9:11pm
I cant speak for UTX they have nothing to do with us and we have done nothing but support them...

GEX/GEP3D has continued to be a solid viable product as we have made major updates and upgrades over the years, not just patches to make things install/work. GEP3D does not require UTX to work however GEX/GEP3D has made UTX look far better for nearly a decade.

I am still going over the changes in v5 for P3D to be sure GEP3D is good to go and if changes need to be made they will to assure what ever they did will not be negatively affected by GEP3D, which by the way..  if you are not on a 1080ti+ video card, don't get too excited because you will be losing scenery volume and quality with P3Dv5.

I can run P3D v4 very well on a 780GTX..    not happening at all at the same settings in v5.

jhaley101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhaley101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 9:52pm
Glad to see you going strong Nick.   I've got a 1080ti on my system so hoping for the best with the new sim.  

Your support is legendary.   You've even helped me through some of the problems I've had with UTX.   Seemed like a good thing back in the day.   Disappointed to see it fading like this.  

Regardless, looks like there will be a new toy to play with in a couple of days.   I'll follow developments for GEP3D and other developments here on the forums.   Stay safe!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 9:55pm
Don't get too excited. The new toy looks pretty much like the old toy with a shine on it and major hardware upgrade requirements for most.

I would save up and grab a top end 3x card at the end of the year and give MS another shot.

jhaley101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhaley101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2020 at 9:50am
an upgrade to a 2080ti is about the only thing I can see at this time, video card wise.   The Titan is way too much money for that type of coin I could build a completely new system. 

Thanks, still looking forward to V5. 
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2020 at 11:31am
You don't need a Titan.. that would be overkill.

I was speaking to MSFS 2020. For that I would consider a 30x card due out at the end of this year.

That would also cover any P3D version too
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 2:19pm
FYI:

GEP3D is good to go for P3Dv5, however, there are files that need to be updated and those will be addressed in a patch. There is no risk of damage or performance issues with the current GEP3D version but there are some good patch changes coming to complement P3Dv5 with GEP3D. I will make an announcement when the patch is ready.
vic_baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 4:12pm
Since P3D V4 and V5 can coexist - will the installer allow GEP3D to be installed in both at same time on the same system? I'm thinking many people will want to keep both active until familiar with V5.

Vic

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 5:31pm
Its been listed at the top of the forum for some years...

a little flipping to do but not rocket science, pretty simple LOL Wink
vic_baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 10:30pm
Oops! Didn't remember that - and I've done it in the past. It's hell to get old. :)

yvesamuel View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yvesamuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 11:00am
Hi,

I have tried to insytall in V5, but had to uninstall : I had allways 95 to 100% CPU usage.
I'll wait for th update.
Yves
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2020 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by yvesamuel yvesamuel wrote:

Hi,

I have tried to insytall in V5, but had to uninstall : I had allways 95 to 100% CPU usage.
I'll wait for th update.
Yves

Not sure what you are referring to however nothing in GEP3D will cause 95-100 CPU usage in Prepar3D. That is technically impossible. What ever you were seeing had absolutely nothing to do with GEP3D installed into Prepar3D

The patch will deal with some visual artistic changes, nothing else.

jhaley101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhaley101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

FYI:

How are things looking as far as the patch Nick? 

John
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 8:40pm
Just be patient. They are making changes <again> behind the scenes and I am working as fast as I can.

Please do not expect massive world changes coming. In other words, you install the patch and instantly see changes everywhere. This is a artistic technical patch for changes they have made to landclass texture calls. Things such as parking lots, concrete slabs, grass, etc.

They also made changes to airport pads but unfortunately someone dropped the ball and did not take into consideration the old FSX issue of green pads showing in dry locations, and, dry locations pads showing where there should be pads with vegetation. Some of those are also used in mountain meadows as well as open plains... We fixed this in GEP3D years ago but they are going backwards without consideration for where the textures appear everywhere on the planet..   so I have my work cut out for me.

As I said, none of this is going to be 'a whole new world' just a better looking one in spot locations.

You can use GEP3D right now with P3Dv5 in its current format. And if you wish to use UTX (any version other than Alaska) which I have been using for months with P3Dv5,.. follow this outline https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/573548-ultimate-terrainx-install-for-p3dv5/ 

Just make sure when installers pop-up after the correct changes are made to the UTX install managers, the target for P3Dv5 is correct in the box, that's all..  if not manually browse it.

Once installed, the GEP3D interface will locate all of the UTX installs and you can activate the upgrades that overwrite the 12+ year old graphics we provide modern replacements for in UTX. You can then follow all the instructions I have provided over the years for setting up UTX as well as making changes to railyards in USA/Canada that were never addressed.

It all works fine in P3Dv5

jhaley101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhaley101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 4:01pm
You're the man.   

Dare I ask about XPresssim product installation? 
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 5:07pm
Yes it's the same and just as brain-dead simple

Browse to your XpressSimV2 install directory

Locate the file: installed.ini then open it in notepad

Here's the trick, the way its designed you cant have more than so many FS platforms installed. to keep it simple here, assuming you have only one or two..

[Platform1] 
Platform=P3D-V5
Desc=Prepar3D V5.0+
Exe=Prepar3D.exe
Root=<YOUR P3DV5 PATH TO:>\Prepar3D.exe
TerrainCfg=<YOUR P3DV5 PATH TO:>\Prepar3D.exe
SceneryCfg=C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V5\SCENERY.CFG
FsxCfg=C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V5\Prepar3D.CFG
Active=1

If you have P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 then P3Dv4 can be [Platform1] with the supporting text and P3Dv5 can be [Platform2] with the supporting text above

EDIT: In the top of the list locate PlatformCount=x and change that value to the number of platforms shown in the list below..  if you have 2, make it 2. Only 1, make it 1

Save and close...  start the interface, click CHANGE PLATFORM to P3Dv5+   then click MY PURCHASES and check box everything, then click INSTALL SELECTED 

not complicated
  Beer

jhaley101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhaley101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 6:11pm
Hi Nick, still planning a patch for v5?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2020 at 2:58pm
I should have posted an update in this... apologies about that.

The issue has been they are adding and changing more and more for their next update. Seems every time I think I have it all in order something else is added or changed. I am not going issue patch and patch after patch based on their unknown development changes so instead I have decided to wait until P3Dv5.1 is complete so everything is covered in one patch for 5.0/5.1.

The changes are not dramatic nor is anything 'critical'. If there was a critical issue I would issue a critical patch ahead of time but that is not the case with any of this.

Although if you use UTX their new parking lot texture sucks rocks..  way out of scale and obvious. KSEA toward Seattle, you cant miss it just past the highway over the fence LOL

They are also messing with airport pads which has become an issue for me because we resolved to the best of our ability the wet/dry location airport pad issue and they are still changing the way they work, therefore to have released anything early would result in even more work to go back and either redo or add.

This isn't like aircraft or gauges.. things like that typically take a one shot dev patch to get the next revision up and running... when they are changing scenery texture elements, every time they make a change it may need to be addressed.

So instead playing Whack-A-Mole  I would rather nail the mole in one shot. Big smile

It really is best that way. They made another dump recently too. 

With their final dump I will probably still have a lot of work to do to complete and release as there is more expected in that but at least at that point it will be a more comprehensive patch and then the process starts over again as they continue.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic