SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED] GEX Europe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bignosher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] GEX Europe
    Posted: November-19-2019 at 1:24am

Hi all, after a successful install of GEX Europe into FSX I followed the instruction of launching the GEX Interface.

After doing the back up and then Enabling all appears well in FSX.

If I then relaunch the interface it reverts to doing the back up again and GEX Europe showing installed but Disabled. Should it not retain the setting? 

Any recommendations gratefully received.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2019 at 6:48pm
Your Windows security is blocking the interface from writing to its internal configuration files and can possibly be blocking the interface from transferring files to FSX.

Always run the GEX interface by right click, AS ADMINISTRATOR, and also be sure to set the entire GEX interface directory to be EXCLUDED by any and all security software. https://www.simforums.com/forums/av-settings-delete-the-gex-and-gep3d-interface_topic49654.html

This is all clearly outlined in the GEX manual (HELP BUTTON) in the interface.

Once you have done all of the above then the settings will remain intact and the files will all update appropriately.

Bignosher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bignosher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2019 at 8:17pm
Hi NickM,

Thanks so much for responding, your recommendations make perfect sense of the fact the settings aren't retained. I must apologise for not fully checking out the GEX manual.

I can't wait to give it a try but am currently working a nightshift in the UK :(

The reason I'd returned to the interface was the textures appeared to revert to default FSX versions and your hunch about not transferring files may well prove to be also correct.

I'll report back with my findings in due course. Once again thanks for your generosity - Kind regards Dave
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2019 at 8:28pm
FYI: The files can't revert back once installed into FSX (regardless of what the interface displays after re-opening) unless you manually selected to DISABLE in the GEX interface and allow the process to complete, however, it is possible some or all the files never got to the FSX install to begin with.

Do as I outlined above and all should be well, but do remember to always right click the GEX interface icon and select: RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

Bignosher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bignosher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2019 at 12:25pm
I'm pleased to report NickN your recommendations worked

I uninstalled the GEX and the fresh install as ADMIN appeared to load more textures and took longer. I did a defrag also as recommended. Running the GEX interface also had the desired effect and retained the setting when relaunched.

I've never had FSX running so smoothly and looking so sharp on a laptop I didn't think was capable of doing so. I recently purchased a Saitek Pro Yoke and peddles so am really motivated to use them.

Once again NickN thank you so much for the sound and concise advice.

Kind regards - Dave G
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2019 at 4:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic