SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED] GEX 2018 major update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] GEX 2018 major update
    Posted: September-08-2019 at 11:46am
Good morning

I have just discovered the updates posted in October 2018; I had not used FSX for some time due to health problems.
From what I read in NickN post announcing the updates, I'm entitled to the free updates having the whole sets but one.
What I'm not sure to understand is :
A/ To realize the update should it be done with the GEX manager? Or should one download each file one after the other?
B/"Please BE SURE to verify all of your installed GEX regions are fully updated together." What do you mean by that???
C/How do you uninstall the sets. There is no uninstall option in the GEX manager and they are not present in the Windows parameters uninstaller in Windows 10.

Thx for your help
Claude
Paris-France
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2019 at 2:09pm
1. Yes, you can update all of your GEX regions for free.

2. The updates are not incremental this round. Because of how much was changed it requires all the GEX regions you own be uninstalled completely from the simulator and Windows, then the new full packages downloaded, installed and enabled in FSX from the GEX region manager. The outline I posted walks you through the entire process step-by step https://www.simforums.com/FORUMS/gex-major-update-for-all-gex-region-products_topic60681.html

That list is easy to follow and covers all the bases.

However, in your situation you have a problem with your OS install....

3. If you do not have the option to uninstall GEX from Windows then there is a technical problem specific to your system. Somehow all the uninstall hooks were either blocked or removed in Windows10 which is typically caused by lack of proper full administrator rights when the product(s) were installed, or, caused by Windows itself during a upgrade process moving from one OS to another, or, some kind of MS Windows 10 update.

So the first problem here is there could be corruption in your OS system that may need to be addressed at some point. I can assist with getting GEX updated properly but if there are other operating system issues outside of that I can not help with those.

A. REMOVE GEX FROM FSX AND RESTORE THE DEFAULT TEXTURE BACKUP -

Start the GEX interface (RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR). Next to each primary GEX region listed in the interface manager (starting at the top) select the bullet next to the name. It will highlight the button. Then, at the bottom click the DISABLE button.

Let the process complete. When finished the region and any/all UTX options associated with that region with show; DISABLED IN FSX.

Go to the next region in the interface list and repeat the above until ALL your regions display: DISABLED IN FSX.

GEX DEFAULT TEXTURE BACKUP -

NOTE #1: If your current backup is located at: C:\GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP the interface will find it automatically when GEX is reinstalled. You can SKIP the next section and go directly to "B" below..  Be sure the GEX interface is CLOSED before going to the next step.

NOTE #2: If for some reason you intend to reinstall FSX before reinstalling GEX you can SKIP this next section and go directly to "B" below because GEX will create a NEW backup of the default textures when it is installed AFTER FSX is reinstalled. If you do not intend to reinstall FSX and have a GEX backup, proceed as follows.

Assuming you never elected to delete or not keep a backup of the default FSX textures, AND/OR, the backup is not located at the default location of C:\GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP you will need to WRITE DOWN the path to your GEX BACKUP of the default textures. You will see the PATH displayed at the top of the interface under BACKUP LOCATION. Please write that path down as it will be reused.

When GEX is uninstalled from Windows the BACKUP is NOT TOUCHED and left alone. You will reuse that location and backup folder when GEX is reinstalled.

Be sure the GEX interface is CLOSED before going to the next step.

B. UNISTALL ALL OF YOUR GEX REGIONS FROM WINDOWS -

Because you have corruption in your system whereby GEX regions are not listed in the OS program uninstaller list this will have to be done MANUALLY. There are 2 methods to do this. If one does not work, the other will.

First: Locate ALL of the install folders for the GEX regions you own on the system. They install to PROGRAM FILES (x86) by default however if you elected to install them elsewhere you will need to locate them on your system

They will be named as such:

GEX North America
GEX Europe
GEX Atlantic and Pacific Tropics
GEX Asia and South America
GEX Africa and the Middle East
GEX Australia and Antarctica

Open the first folder listed on your system. You will find a file named: uninstall.exe in the directory. Right Click that file and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. Allow the process to complete.

When finished, go to the NEXT folder on your system in the list and repeat the same process, then repeat again until ALL of your GEX regions are uninstalled from Windows.

Once finished, DELETE all of the folders you have as listed above.

NOTE: IF FOR SOME REASON running the uninstall.exe file results in some type of error, simply stop the process and delete the ENTIRE DIRECTORY as listed above. HOWEVER USE THE UNINSTALL.EXE process FIRST and only close/skip it if a ERROR occurs.

CONFIRM THE GEX INTERFACE MANAGER HAS BEEN REMOVED:

Browse to: C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight One Software

Look for a folder named GEX if it is there, right click and delete it. If not then then interface was properly removed by the last GEX region uninstaller that was run.

FLUSH THE RECYCLE BIN.

C. RE-DOWNLOAD AND REINSTALL ALL OF YOUR GEX REGIONS -

You have a choice with this. You can elect to download the individual files (2 files per GEX product) for each GEX region you currently own, OR, I would suggest instead, and to make the process far easier/simplistic,... use the new Flight1 Agent Tool:    http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=agent

Here is a complete explanation of that tool and how it works: https://www.simforums.com/FORUMS/flight1-purchase-agent-eliminates-wrappers_topic60864.html

You can download and install ALL of your GEX products (or any other Flight1 products you own) through that tool.

If you elect to download the individual wrappers instead of using the tool I outlined above, go back to this thread and follow the directions to download and install those files: https://www.simforums.com/FORUMS/gex-major-update-for-all-gex-region-products_topic60681.html

You can use that thread at anytime because it has the same instructions there I outline here but with FAR MORE DETAIL if you need assistance.

SPECIAL NOTES:

TURN OFF VIRUS AND MALWARE SCANNERS WITH DOWNLOADING/INSTALLING GEX INTO WINDOWS AND RUNNING THE INTERFACE FOR THE FIRST TIME. EXCLUDE FOLDERS I OUTLINE AT THE END OF THESE NOTES BEFORE TURNING THE SCANNERS BACK ON. THIS INCLUDES WINDOWS DEFENDER IF IT IS USED.

You can install your GEX regions ANYWHERE On the system. They do not need to be installed to the same folder as FSX AND they do not need to be installed in PROGRAM FILES. They can be installed on any local hard drive in order to conserve critical drive space. The interface will locate the regions automatically and SEND textures to the FSX install directory.

Install ALL of your GEX regions into Windows but DO NOT run the GEX interface until all of your GEX products are installed into Windows. This will shorten the initial setup process considerably

ALWAYS INSTALL OR RUN ANY TOOL, WRAPPER, OR INTERFACE IN WINDOWS 10 BY RIGHT CLICK, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. That includes launching the GEX interface manager. Failure to do so can cause file write blocks and corruption problems.

Once all your GEX regions are reinstalled into Windows, using RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR start the GEX interface.

ON FIRST RUN/SETUP OF THE GEX INTERFACE MANAGER:

If your FSX path is corrupt in the Windows registry the interface will ask you to BROWSE to the location of FSX.exe. If it is correct in the registry the GEX interface will locate it automatically.

IF your original GEX BACKUP was not located at C:\GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP you will need to tell the interface where that backup is located. On first run, the interface will give you the option to MOVE the backup, or leave it at C:\GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP. If the path to your original backup is different than default then select MOVE and browse the interface to the location you originally wrote down to the GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP directory. DO NOT SELECT THE DIRECTORY ITSELF, simply select to location the directory is in.

The interface will use your original backup from that point on.

NO FILES ARE OVERWRITTEN IN THE BACKUP. The interface skips files that are already present when it runs its initial backup check.

Once complete, you will need to ENABLE all your GEX regions in FSX. Starting at the top of the list in the interface select (bullet) the first GEX region you own and then click the ENABLE button. Once the process is complete, if you own UTX (Ultimate Terrain X) products associated with the GEX region, the interface will allow access to those features. Select and click ENABLE.

Once the region and features display (ENABLED IN FSX) go to the next region in the list and repeat the above until all of your regions and features display ENABLED IN FSX.

Close the GEX interface. Your GEX products are fully updated and repaired in Windows.

LAST: MAKE SURE ALL VIRUS AND MALWARE SCANNERS ARE SET TO EXCLUDE THE ENTIRE FSX INSTALL DIRECTORY AND THE GEX INTERFACE DIRECTORY LOCATED AT: C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight One Software\GEX BEFORE TURNING THEM BACK ON.

Including the entire FSX directory will help significantly with simulator performance.

That should get back up and running with everything updated.

claude101141 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 4:19am
Good Morning

Thx for the time you took to write that long message.

1/After a new check of Windows 10 parameters applications manager, I discovered that all my sets but Asia were present, I did not have Australia. In fact I made the mistake while making my checking to use the Win 7 manager board to check their presence instead of the Win 10 one.

2/As you said in your message I disabled all my sets including NA. All went well up to now as can be seen in the attached picture.

3/ As explained in your post of October 2018, I uninstalled with the windows 10 manager each set but the NA one and that's when I realized the Asia one was not in the list of existing sets to uninstall.

So I thought to follow your explanation to uninstall manually this last set. Always in administrator mode.
I could not do it as immediately I got the error message as shown in my second picture.

So I stopped going any further and wonder what I should do. Asia is quite disabled in the Gex manager, inexistent in the Win 10 parameters applications manager and Im stuck unable to uninstall it manually so far.

For your information, I use a dual boot on my desktop as some of my programs are not Win 10 compatible and I still need them under Win 7XP Ultimate.

Also I have no problem with manually accessing to programs as I have a 47 years experience with computers and developing software when I was an active Financial analyst. In 72 when I began to develop programs I was considered a mad guy! I developed the first French Companies Financial Accounts Database at that time using APL+ programming language. . Of course today I would be lost as far as programming is concerned with the new languages existing since I'm retired for 20 years now and had no reason to do so.

Thx again for your help, waiting to read you asap
Claude
Paris-France

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 1:08pm
I see a folder named DATA2 in the tree list with other program install folders. I do not know how that got there but it does not belong outside a GEX region directory. I would say that can be deleted manually.

As for the ASA uninstall error, as I pointed out in B above, if you get an error go ahead and simply delete the entire GEX region directory and all files in it manually.

It would appear NA is still installed. If that uninstaller is unavailable in Windows 10 program uninstaller list, try the same process for running the uninstaller from the folder and if that does not work just delete the entire directory manually.

From there do check to be sure the GEX interface manager folder is deleted at the path I noted. It may not be removed automatically because there is a error in the Windows OS uninstaller system. Simply delete it manually if it is still there after all regions have been flushed.

From there its just a matter of downloading all the new full GEX region products and installing them. Running the installers as Admin should repair any damage that was present from the past.

As mentioned, (not required) but it is best to install all your GEX regions in Windows first before running the interface for the first time as that will cut down the initial first run time considerably.

Since your backup is located in the default location no need to worry about that. It will remain and be used again when the GEX regions are reinstalled. Simply select to not move the backup location when the interface prompts you on first run and it will use the original backup.

The only change to that would be if you are reinstalling FSX clean (first) and wanted to start clean with a new default FSX texture GEX backup. In that case you would manually delete the GEX region backup folder and let it build a new one on first run of the interface after reinstalling FSX.

Although the interface will run the automated backup process on first run, no files in the original backup are changed or overwritten. It will check and make sure the files are present and if any are missing simply add them to the backup.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 3:05pm
Hi, I did not uninstall the NA directory as you said so in your paper of October 2018:
"FOR GEX NORTH AMERICA - IF YOU USE ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING GEX REGIONS TO UPGRADE GEX NA FOR FREE:

GEX AFME
GEX ASA
GEX APT
GEX AA

THAT PROCESS REMAINS THE SAME. DO NOT UNINSTALL GEX NA FROM YOUR SYSTEM, ONLY UNINSTALL THE OTHER GEX REGIONS YOU OWN AND REPLACE THEM. ONCE ONE OF THE ABOVE IS INSTALLED GEX NA WILL AUTOMATICALLY UPGRADE TO v2.20"

Has there been some change about that? I disable it but left it untouched.
Ok for the rest I know how to delete the Asia directory manually.
Thx
Claude
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 3:44pm
My bad, I forgot about that! I was thinking you had no uninstall hooks in the Windows OS program uninstall list. If that is not the case with NA then there is no change to those directories.

If you were to uninstall GEX NA it would require download of the older original instead of the latest since you are getting the updates free for NA and your license is different.

There is no need to flush the GEX interface folder since NA is remaining on the system and needs the files in that interface directory.

Sorry about that. Since this was a special situation I was looking at a clean flush and reinstall of everything. If NA is listed in the Windows OS program uninstall list then that can stay along with the interface directory and start from there.

If it isn't listed in the Windows OS uninstall program area then that needs to be fixed so you would flush it manually and instead of downloading the latest NA version, you would either reinstall your original GEX NA 1.096 older version first, or download/install the original 1.096 older version first still available at Flight1 and let the other regions update it after.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 4:48am
Don't worry, you had other things to do since 2018!

Now ot make it perfectly clear

1/ I deleted the DATA 2 directory which was outside the different Gex set directories.

2/ I keep as is the NA directory until the full reinstall is done and it will automatically update to the new version free.

3/I Delete in the ASA directory all the files but not the 3 existing DATAn, UTn and the UPDATES directory to have the same structure as in the other sets' directories.

4/ I Download the new files with the Gex Download manager link you gave me

5/ I enable all the sets one by one with Gex interface.

Am I correct?

Thx
Claude

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 6:23pm
Except for #3… Flush the entire GEX Asia and South America directory with all contents completely as well as any other GEX region directory(s) other than GEX NA, leave that one alone, then install all the updated GEX regions you downloaded using the Flight1 tool.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 6:29am
Just a last one do I do this as stated in your October 2018:

"CONFIRM THE GEX INTERFACE MANAGER HAS BEEN REMOVED:

Browse to: C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight One Software

Look for a folder named GEX if it is there, right click and delete it."

The folder still exists on my desktop.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 12:57pm
No..  You are leaving GEX NA on the system and not reinstalling that product, and as such the interface and working license with that interface must remain.

What is on the desktop should be a GEX interface shortcut, not the GEX interface control directory. The GEX interface and control directory is located at: C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight One Software\GEX

In your case do not remove the directory or any files located at that path.

Now that all other regions are flushed, simply download and install all of your other GEX regions (except NA) with the new updated products into Windows. When the interface opens for the first time it will do the rest of the update work to NA automatically before you enable your regions again in FSX.

The interface will show you all the updated version numbers in the GUI and you will know all products are updated.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 4:04am
Claude, did you get this resolved?

please let me know.  Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 2:12pm
Hi NIck,

Yes I have everything ok, sorry not to have told you earlier but there has been a few problems at home so did not find time to give you the good news. Thx again for your efficient help.
Best
Claude
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 6:40pm
Thumbs Up Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic