SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED] Colored Text in Ground Textures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] Colored Text in Ground Textures
    Posted: June-07-2018 at 4:20am
Hi,

I've been having an issue that is not new to FSX or even P3D for that matter. It is known in various circles concerning the colored Spring and Winter text that shows up in ground textures all over the virtual globe (and the issue seems to be connected to ORBX scenery installations). Now stick with me as I believe some explanation is required to understand the total issue at hand.

One prominent scenery developer for ORBX explained the issue like this...

--------------------------------------------------

...the primary cause is that our extended version of the landclass control file (lclookup.bgl) enables features that are blocked by the default version, including seasonal variations for several classes that were planned by the FSX/P3D developers but never finished (It's actually quite amazing how "crippled" the default lclookup.bgl is, not just in regards to seasonal variations). The default \Scenery\World\texture folder contains about 8,000 landclass files (textures and autogen) while after installing Global Base that number almost doubles, though a large portion of the ~8000 new files are due to entirely new classes.

Obviously, we are aware that not every Orbx customer uses Global Base and thus we've included a script with FTX Central that extends the default set in \Scenery\World\texture so that unlocked variations, blendmasks, etc. are filled with copies of similar default types. Thus, even without Global Base, the file count in \Scenery\World\texture should increase by about 1,600. This script should also replace those default textures that have the placeholder inscriptions with more representative textures without the inscription.

If the textures with inscriptions become visible again in the sim then either Global Base isn't correctly installed, or the script for non-Global users hasn't executed properly, or the content of the \Scenery\World\texture folder has been re-set to default by an update or re-installation of P3D or FSX.

In your case, without Global, you should have about 9,600 files in \Scenery\World\texture. Is that the case? Also, have you run the "force migration" option in FTX Central? If the script failed initially it can be forced to run by this function. However, it may still fail if the \Scenery\World\texture folder has been blocked to write/copy operations by the user or an "overzealous" antivirus app. In that case the file count would remain at around 8,200....

---------------------------------------------------

Okay, I use a few of the "regional" ORBX sceneries in FSX and at one time I used the Iceland DEMO (now removed), but I chose not to install ORBX global products because I use UTX, SceneryTech, and GEX for my primary region, North America. So as can be noted by the comment "we are aware that not every Orbx customer uses Global Base and thus we've included a script with FTX Central that extends the default set in \Scenery\World\texture so that unlocked variations, blendmasks, etc. are filled with copies of similar default types.

I performed the "Force Migration" in FTX Central following his advice but that failed to correct my issue. He asked about my file count which I replied it didn't come close (mine was more like 15 thousand some files). I never received further replies and was left stumped.

I felt that if I replaced those "default" textures it might help so since I own GEX for North America I thought if I purchased GEX Asia it might fix my issue in the region I saw the text in the ground textures (in the Kathmandu Nepal region near Mt Everest), regrettably it did not.

He did mention the lclookup.bgl directly effects this but I'm not an expert in manipulating scenery files, I still suspect the problem lies either in the ground textures or land class "layers" for scenery, I just can't put a thumb on what to go after. So I need someone to tell me what product, whether regional or global I can install and eliminate the colored text from showing up in my ground textures. I use UTX, GEX, and SceneryTech for my North American region without issue. If there is another texture or land class product that will "erase" this issue I'll get it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

ILEllis

Just Point Me In The Right Direction!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2018 at 9:59pm
Its Orbx alteration of the lclookup.bgl and landclass calls.

I really cant help you other than suggest restoring a backup of the original default sim control files.

I don't have any Orbx products and I do not know how or if they back up the originals or where to look.

ILEllis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 8:40am
Hi Nick,

Thanks for responding. Is there any "global" product that I could purchase (your recommendation) that might fully replace those files including the lclookup.bgl file and get me running again? One of these days (and I've been doing this for a very long time) I'll learn not to mix ORBX with other scenery options, this always happens. Ouch

ILEllis

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 5:53pm
No, because by spec we are not supposed to change those files or the entire idea of a 'sandbox' everyone can work in goes out the door and that includes P3D.

The really bad thing about that, you see graphics that show you the issue, many switch and do not see that, however, the landscape and the tiles are not being displayed the way the developer intended them too.  In other words, it just doesn't look right so the person goes back to the other and it magically all seems to work again..   some could say its in line with a underhanded marketing method.

Short of a clean reinstall, can't help. I am not sure it is only lclookup.bgl they alter
ILEllis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2018 at 7:26pm
I understand Nick. Managing scenery addons is like playing around in a bowl of spaghetti. Layers upon layers, and get one thing wrong and it's back to scratch. You think programmers could have imagined future enhancements and made scenery (and aircraft, and environment addons) modular so we could plug things in and out without the fear of a reinstall if something didn't go right but trust me I'm not complaining, I was around when simulators were on Commodore 64's and every new release was buggy as hell. There is no comparison to today's simulator's. Guess the only sure way is to take a snapshot (make a backup) of a new build at key points so if things go tango uniform then starting from scratch doesn't bite so bad. My last new build was a few years ago so I guess it wouldn't hurt to pull out your "Bible" of tweaks and start over fresh. Appreciate the advice.
ILEllis

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic