SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed[ANSWERED] Back To GEX.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] Back To GEX.
    Posted: August-19-2013 at 6:05pm
After making the move and getting FTX global, I was pretty excited over what to expect. Well, I was very disappointed in many ways. Not at all what I thought it would be. I realize that it is only a platform for more FTX products. But I did not like what I saw. Now that's not to say that GEX was the bomb either. But for me, as a simmer for many years, it just has a much better feel and look to it. I have always wished for a bit more green from GEX, but the reasons for that have been explained by Nick. I also was one of the many uninformed about how FTX would literally take over my FSX. I must admit I do love Orbx for their regional and airport addons, but the most important of that being that I could easily go back to my default when needed. The full uninstall of FSX was quite painful and would require days of putting my FSX back to what it was, as Orbx has no uninstall. Live and learn I guess. Of coarse, this is only my opinion.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2013 at 2:53pm
just let the dust setting on that one till you are sure you can properly recover if need be 

We don't make everything green just to satisfy people who think the world is all green from the air nor can we make it all green either. What is amazing is some of the people who think the other product looks more like real world in some of the places they claim they are looking doesn't even come close to Google.

I am not saying GEX can match Google or get everything right either but from what I have seen thus far there is a lot more right with GEX than the fan-fair is yelling about, that's for sure..   but of course something new will always generate such responses

We do have a new North America slated for production as soon as the last world region is complete. The original NA tiles are from 2005-2006 source and are EOL at this point.

another item is landclass, I have posted about it many times

North/Central America and Tropics:

UTX USA +
SceneryTech NA - for the southwest and west with deserts
Xclass USA (with their seasons9c.bgl disabled) for PNW or Central Rockies, some in NE too, depends on the user

UTX Canada + Xclass Canada (with their seasons9c.bgl disabled) hands down, the best combo

There is freeware landclass for both sections of eastern and western Canada that can be added which are quite well done.

UT Alaska - with NO other LC enabled. Requires disabling SceneryTech NA and Xclass Canada/USA when flying Alaska with UT Alaska

UTX Tropical +
SceneryTech NA

UTX Tropical with no 3rd party LC can be best for some locations. ST NA covers Central America and the Caribbean too

Europe

UTX Europe +
SceneryTech Europe - for some of North Europe and perhaps some of Spain
Xclass Europe (with their seasons9c.bgl disabled) for Italy only

NOTE: UTX Europe comes with a complete veg LC and is usually best by itself with no other 3rd party in location such as Germany and a few others. Also best solution for southern areas like Greece.

Its important for users to learn how to switch 3rd party LC's to see what works best becuae I do not care who makes the LC or where it comes from, they all have their pluses and minuses that need to be evaluated by the user directly. There is not such thing as the perfect LC and never will be.

There is a freeware Norway and Finland landclass posted online and I do believe they were updated lately and can be used with UTX as well but must be setup correctly. Both are excellent additions for these areas.

Africa and Middle East

SceneryTech Africa for the most part but Xclass Africa/Asia has some highlights in this region too.

South America

SceneryTech South America or Xclass South America   Both of these have their great locations and not so great. Both should be installed and switched as the user requires for different locations in South America. Where one my not do well the other usually will.

Tropical Pacific and Asia

SceneryTech Asia for the most part however Xclass Asia can work but not in very many places as we have seen. Xclass can add more of the forested areas. It can be a toss up in some locations. But ST tends to be overall best.

Australia, New Zealand and southern Tropics

SceneryTech Indo Pacific,  Xclass does not do very well in this location.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2013 at 3:49pm

There are also freeware Landclass products that deal with specifics available for eastern or western Canada, parts of Africa, Norway, Finland and other places. These are made by users who have focused on these locations and are designed to work with the default FSX system.

These will all layer and work with the others when setup correctly

Freedom to add, as well as switch if one LC or product does not hit the mark for users .. that is what the sandbox is all about
FLighT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2013 at 11:06am
After reading the above I decided to do some screenshots for my own comparison and thought I'd post them here to show some differences. Juneau, Alaska. Todays date and same time on all 3. For what it's worth:

FSX + UTX AK only (UTX set to AlaskaModels1Alt with Houses as Standard Library Objects checked)

UTX as above with Scenery-Tech NA only engaged

UTX with X-Class NA "and" US only engaged (Couldn't tell from the X-Class manual where they put Alaska) (X-Class seasons.bgl is .OFF)

Differences are pretty obvious.

(Can't remember if I used the "improved slope class" fix with ST or not)
Rig 1: Jetline I7 4770 @ 4.3, 16GB @ 2133, GTX780, C=1TB Samsung SSD, GTN750&650, W7 64
Rig 2: Jetline I7 2700 @ 4.6, 8GB 1866, GTX580, C=256GB SSD, E&F=2 X 600 V-raps, GTN750, W7 64
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2013 at 11:18am

UT Alaska should never be flown with any 3rd party LC such as Xclass Canada/USA or SceneryTech NA  

These 3rd party LC's change the well defined LC UT Alaska provides. That has nothing to do with lclookup.bgl SceneryTech provides or slope fix, only the defined landclass

And ALL the seasons9c.bgl files from Xclass should be removed or disabled.. they are well known for causing issues as they are not made very well. These are the files that screw up SEASONS, not lclookup.bgl from SceneryTech.

As for the slope fix, that is permanent and does not change unless you uninstall SceneryTech LC's OR Opt to not use it when installing them

It IS Important to note the only change in that SceneryTech lclookup.bgl is the slope fix as it will not in any way change how the LC's are used or the textures and will never be edited in the future to make changes that can cause problems.

That works, and user has the OPTION to use that file, or not...  I use it as it does provide far better mountain and dirt/ice/rock blending.

Anyone who doesn't want that file in operation can easily remove it and use the default.. there is no demand on anyone that it must be there and the installer makes it clear as well as gives the option to not install.

The ICE texture option SceneryTech asks when installing should NEVER be installed unless you plan to run the GEX Interface and reinstall the regions to be sure those cold files are overwritten with the GEX versions. If you don't use GEX and want the ice texture files, then of course you can opt to install those with SceneryTech installers.

ladigue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2013 at 5:10pm
I use UTX/GEX, not FTXG, and I must say:

Europe is VERY green, I live in Central Europe, and GEX doesn't reflect this. It looks more desertlike, unrealistic. I would be very happy, if this could be changed to look more like real Europe.

UTX still covers only half of Europe, since YEARS.. any chance to extend it to the whole continent, at least Southeastern Europe (Balkans) in a first step?

When will GEX/UTX support Prepar3d? Next year Prepar3d 2.0 (DirectX 11!!) will be published, and that's the deadline for me to decide, stay with GEX/UTX or go to FTGX, because Prepar3d is the simmer's future, not FSX.

ORBX is developing new sceneries and technologies all the time, it supports Prepar3d ... what about UTX/GEX?

Btw: it's totally easy to try FTGX and then go back to GEX: just make an image of your drive and restore it, when you don't like FTGX. Every PC user should always have a drive-image to be secure..
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2013 at 5:26pm

GEX is not 'desert like' in central Europe ... that is not true and is false

Anyone with Google Maps can look at the location they wish to understand and then look in the sim.

What is true is landclass defines texture use and the fact that there are a limited number of textures to work with in FSX but GEX does a very decent job with what it has to work with in that system.

With respect to what was said above and the false claim that GEX looks like a desert in Europe I would be cautious about where that goes next.

I will leave the post above as is, but in order to circumvent the need to show anyone the door based on what that post was designed for, ... after my next post, this subject is closed

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2013 at 6:37pm

Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

What is amazing is some of the people who think the other product looks more like real world in some of the places they claim they are looking doesn't even come close to Google.

I am not saying GEX can match Google or get everything right either but from what I have seen thus far there is a lot more right with GEX than the fan-fair is yelling about, that's for sure..   but of course something new will always generate such responses  

Originally posted by ladigue ladigue wrote:

Europe is VERY green, I live in Central Europe, and GEX doesn't reflect this. It looks more desertlike, unrealistic.

Perhaps a little demo is in order..  

lets play a different game here, its one I prefer and its called: FACT CHECK with added to it like we find in other forums.

and just to make sure there is no funny business, I will use the location of central Europe in which 'a random user' who lives there suggests that GEX Europe is 'desert like, unrealistic'

Google Maps: https://maps.google.com/

Type in top box: CENTRAL EUROPE    that's it, just central Europe

Result: http://goo.gl/maps/qqfGx         

The Google selected spot by using that query is marked with a large red 'A' on the image

Next, I zoom into the selected region at the spot marked 'A' in sat-mode and look at what is displayed.

This link shows that  http://goo.gl/maps/dHa3D

Please leave that link up on your screens

Nothing is chosen by 'my' selection but by the suggested location of a random user who lives in central Europe that says GEX is 'desert like' and 'unrealistic' to what central Europe looks like.

Fair so far?  I think so. Smile

Understanding that satellite imagery can and does have false color in it in many locations, we can now see what this random location looks like in Google closer to the ground so there is no doubt that it is not 'desert like' and the user who suggests this is correct! I agree!

When we zoom out with Google, the image becomes darker and less defined for color as well as can show further distortion but closer up we can see fairly well what this location looks like zoomed in, no question about that.

Zoom out a few clicks or so with the link provided above so you may see what the area looks like in a bit broader view. You can see the red 'A' mark now that shows this is indeed the random "central Europe' point we started at, simply zoomed in close to the ground. Of course the color gets really bad the further out we zoom and the green colors in that Google link imagery is loaded dark false image cyan even zoomed in which is typical of such imagery as it always must be color corrected.

The important factor here is that we can all see what this entire area looks like in Google. Big smile

Now, lets take a look at this location in FSX with GEX. The closest city is Mlada Boleslav, Czechoslovakia which is not far from the target zoom link posted above (you can see it in Google) and is just a few short kilometers from the 'zoom' link point. It also just happens to be located in the FSX airport library, so I boot a flight there and then move the plane to the exact random location in Central Europe where it is said that GEX is 'desert like' and 'unrealistic' so we can all see this ourselves.

What do we find? 

The desert like world GEX creates?

Lets zoom out just a little further like we can with Google Maps....

Of course its not perfect, no landclass and textures are. But it sure does appear to have the right 'look' to me and I simply do not see the 'desert look' here or totally BROWN as I have read that cock-&-bull story too.  Wink 

And perhaps take a look from the pilots perspective:

How about a few outside shots of this darn desert like look GEX creates that looks nothing like central Europe.

Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

I am really not sure where some of those questions came from as a few of them are downright silly and outrageously inaccurate in their context if you say people think some of those items are even close to true. But that is how the game is played in forums and with this kind of controversy..  make a false statement, repeat it many times and let the fan-boys jump in and convolute the information to the point where people who really look for the truth, cant make heads or tails of it.

Message to those who would try this here in the future...

Please go back to the Orbx or AVSIM forums and play your little 'forum game' over there instead.  I will take you to church here! Big smile

Thanks!    Clap

LOL   Beer

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic