SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERDED] Ground environment for p3dv4.5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fosl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERDED] Ground environment for p3dv4.5
    Posted: May-02-2020 at 1:42pm
Hello all,

I recently moved from FSX to P3d and am thinking about buying GEP3D.  I had GEX for FSX and really like version 1.096.  I upgraded to 1.099 but did not care for the newer textures, as the desert regions became almost chocolate brown.  A little too dark.  I reverted back to 1.096 and was very happy.  Are the textures closer to GEX version 1.096 or 1.099 in P3d?   I have looked at some screen shots but cannot really tell.

Thanks
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2020 at 3:32pm
Sorry for the delay.. I somehow missed your post.

The textures have undergone several changes over the years. Since P3D uses a completely different shader engine there is no way to compare. Also, GEX does not work in Prepar3D. The product offered for it is GEP3D and is a world coverage product, not just regions.

fosl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fosl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2020 at 7:05pm
thanks Nick!

If possible, any chance of a screen shot near KELP or KPHX in p3dv4.5?

Thanks for your help
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2020 at 12:34am
In all the years we offered GEX I have never had anyone say the textures in the later upgrade were too dark in the desert and especially the LA/Vegas and Phoenix areas in FSX. On the contrary, we were always told the deserts were dry but came alive with the correct colors and seasonal vegetation as they should and the areas looked awesome.

None the less, I have Ultimate Terrain X installed in P3Dv4.5 which is not textures but a terrain landclass system that tells the sim where to place textures based on environment ground data. I can turn it off and provide a screenshot of GEP3D alone  if you like.

I can do that tomorrow sometime.

Till then here is a few I grabbed some years back in the Vegas and Phoenix area of P3Dv4 however they do include Ultimate Terrain X USA with GEP3D

There are cloud shadows in these that FSX does not render....

GEP3D is everything you 'see' visually. UTX USA is what places what you see

fosl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fosl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2020 at 5:38pm
thanks Nick

I had GEX and UTX installed in FSX. Also had FSFensis landclass sandwiched between the utx land classes. GEX 1.096 with utx was fantastic! At some point I bought GEX for the tropics and it updated my GEX to 1.099. Don’t get me wrong, still very good. Just after growing up and doing my flight training in the desert southwest of the USA, I found version 1.096 to be superb. I acknowledge I may have had a monitor setting or other display setting incorrect. Not sure. In any case, I’ll be purchasing GEP3D soon for p3dv4.  Thanks again.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2020 at 9:31pm
P3D has a completely different shader and lighting system and the GEP3D tiles were adjusted for it, however if you are looking for the best desert UTX USA with SceneryTech North America sandwiched does the magic there. FSG was never a really good rural LC in that respect.

I use the same UTX + ST NA sandwich for all of the SW USA

You also have to understand P3D has extended lighting settings (HDR) Although, I think it sucks and never use it. Everyone has their own opinion on what is right and not.

The shots above may have had the sun at a lower azimuth. The next ones are midday 

Here are 2 shots I just took at Sky Harbor from P3Dv4.5 with UTX + ST NA with GEP3D...

The sky color and the clouds are my own. Cant stand the cartoon sky color they still push even with P3D

Of course the canyon is always best when you get a little shadow and highlight going from the sun, same LC as above...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic