SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > AirWrench - Air Traffic FX - GeoApr and FS Stall Effects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AirWrench not accepting inputs, unrequested inputs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AirWrench not accepting inputs, unrequested inputs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtiss wright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AirWrench not accepting inputs, unrequested inputs
    Posted: January-23-2016 at 6:18pm

I have just purchased AirWrench from the Flight One site. I tried out the program on a couple of my FS2004 aircraft but encountered a few problems with the finished result.
The first problem involves the .airfile of the Alpha C-7 Caribou. After adjusting the .airfile to bring it closer to "book file" numbers, I discovered that the prop reverse was no longer functioning even though the  correct numbers were entered in the fields of AirWrench and the "has reverse" box is checked off. The Alpha Caribou does have reverse which did work quite well,  pre AirWrench.
The second problem involves the C152, after inserting the correct Cessna 152 POH values, the engine idles way too fast and RPM cannot be reduced.
In both cases I've hit enter after making an entry in the program as well as selecting "save flight dynamics" tab. I also made sure the correct values were present in the aircraft.cfg, however, the problems remained, back up files restored the previous performance levels. There may be other problems waiting to be unearthed in the tweaked .air files, but that's as far as I've gotten so far.
I thought I read the documentation thoroughly but I may have missed something or there is a bug in the program, I have even reinstalled Airwrench, however, the results are the same. It's obviously time to seek the help of the 'experten'.
mudpond View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:59pm

First, I am traveling right now, and it's going to be a while before I can answer these questions completely.

Next, these are both commercial products and you have to realize that what you are doing with AirWrench is completely replacing the original flight models with your own. AirWrench was designed to simplify the process of compiling flight dynamics, with the emphasis on 'flight dynamics'. It doesn't allow total flexibility for every flight simulator system. You are getting into the propulsion systems with both of your questions here, and in these cases AirWrench provides a more or less generic solution that may or may not comply with your expected results. The solution is either modify AirWrench to add more flexible engine configuration options (that are going to be complicated and difficult to understand) or switch to another tool, like AirWizEd which is much more difficult to use effectively.

Alphasim C7:

I don't have a copy of it, so I don't know exactly what's going on. If I can assume that the original flight model simulates the a piston engine Caribou, I can see that there is a problem with AirWrench with respect to implementing prop reverse on a piston engine aircraft. I'll have to update the program to correct this. Please be patient, this will get done.

C152:

Specific idle speeds are tricky to automate on small piston engines, and there isn't anything currently in AirWrench that can change the idle speed. I'll have to think about this one.

mudpond View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 9:38pm

AirWrench2 has been updated to version 1.02:

The logic the program uses to set the idle speed in the AIR file has been modified, and a new parameter has been added on the piston engine tab to fine tune the idle speed.

The prop reverse check box on the piston and turboprop engine tabs has been replaced with a prop reverse user interface that includes the key aircraft config file parameters required to set up prop reverse in a flight model. 

The following is documented in the FSX SDK, but it's not entirely obvious.  The aircraft config file parameter prop_reverse_available is a scalar, not a boolean (i.e. it's values are not just 0 for OFF and 1 for ON).  It's a multiplier of the prop reverse effect. 

This is not completely documented in the SDK: A value of 1 works fine for turboprops, but the value needs to be significantly higher (10, 20, 30 or even more) for a piston engine model.

AirWizEd has also been updated to add the same aircraft config file parameters required to set up prop reverse.

The easiest way to get the updated versions of these programs is to click the 'Check for Updates' button on the AirWrench 'About' tab and use the link provided to download and install the new versions.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic