SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Admin: Cause of excessive light flickering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Admin: Cause of excessive light flickering
    Posted: December-17-2012 at 9:11pm
One of our users recently pointed out that the UTX night lights flicker excessively.   We were able to duplicate the problem and then find the cause.

The "Preview DirectX 10" option in FSX has been know to cause excessive polygon flickering in FSX.   You can see this in many locations when the option is active.   I frequently see this in airports when taxiways and other object overlap.     The DX10 preview mode is also the culprit  of the excessive UTX night light flickering.

So, if you want to get rid of the night light and other polygon flickers in FSX, you will need to disable the "Preview DirectX 10" box in FSX.    This option is located in the "Settings-Display" window (graphics tab).   By default, this option should be turned off.

Here is a screenshot showing the circled option to disable.

Your flickering problems should go away if you disable the DX10 preview mode option.
Allen

hjmx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hjmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2013 at 4:45am
Would be nice that UT could handle that behavior in a future update. Since a lot of dx10 problems have been solved I like to fly in dx10 mode more and more.

Harry
momo737 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momo737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2013 at 10:47am
+1 Harry

The FSX DX10 fix did it for me no more runway, light or texture flickering...

Truly amazing!!!

stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/category/dx10/

forum.avsim.net/topic/376140-dx10-flashing-runways-experimental-shader/page__st__50
hjmx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hjmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 5:24pm
No comment from devs?

Harry
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2013 at 10:49am
Hi Harry,

I took a look at the links posted.   Some of those tweaks look promising, even though I have not tried them myself.    These shader changes seem to be more of a general FSX correction, instead of something that should be done in the individual scenery packages (like UTX).

Maybe I have missed something.   What type of comment are you looking for from us ?    
Allen

hjmx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hjmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 6:27pm
Allen,

Thank you for your kind answer. I was hoping that UTX could find a fix so that the street light flickering disappears in dx10. Is this not possible? Other lights (e.g RW lights) don't blink  in dx10 mode. I even can use Shockwave lights redux 3D which work in most cases in dx10 mode. Maybe, it is a combination of both FSX/UTX and with all the shader fixes found to make dx10 more useable I hope it might be worth a try, to look at the problem from UTX side again.

Harry
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 5:08pm
If by RW lights you mean runway lights, and aircraft lights, then they work differently than UTX night lighting.

UTX night lighting are placed as groups of scenery objects with multiple lights at different locations in one one scenery file. This is done to increase performance. Runway and taxiway lights are placed individually as there are considerably less of them.

Next, remember that the flickeirng is caused when one of the UTX night lights in the group gets hidden behind a ground object, so others in the group are also hidden. In the case of runway lights as they are always out in the open away from buildings, and are individually placed, you do not see them get hidden as much as the UTX night lights and so no flickering.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by hjmx hjmx wrote:

Allen,

Thank you for your kind answer. I was hoping that UTX could find a fix so that the street light flickering disappears in dx10. Is this not possible? Other lights (e.g RW lights) don't blink  in dx10 mode. I even can use Shockwave lights redux 3D which work in most cases in dx10 mode. Maybe, it is a combination of both FSX/UTX and with all the shader fixes found to make dx10 more useable I hope it might be worth a try, to look at the problem from UTX side again.

Harry

There are 2 different types of flickering.   Some minor flickering can occur in either DX9 or DX10 for the reasons that Jeff gave.    But, DX10 can result in major flickering.

The UTX lights are basically airport lights.   But, there are whole lot more of them and some of them are clustered as Jeff said.   They are creating using an old Light Point object type that was introduced in FS2000 I believe (not sure.  It was a long time ago).     From a source code standpoint, there is nothing at all related to DX10 that we can change.   But, since the Light Points are basically just NAV light objects with a different color specified, any enhancement to FSX for DX10 that improves the NAV lights (and others) should also improve the UTX lights.    

It looks like the author in the links specified earlier by momo737 had made some progress in this area.   Did you read those threads and try to do the same thing ?

I would like to look into this authors suggestions myself.   But, it won't happen anytime soon, due to higher priority things that I am looking into right now. 

Have you already tried the suggestions made by momo737 ?

Thanks. 

Allen

momo737 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momo737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 12:57am
Hi guys

Steve's DX10 fix is a most have for anyone using FSX in DX10 Preview and it's free. No more lights and RWY flickering and airport fences are back plus more.

I still get some minor UTX light flickering at lower altitude but I think is due to the amount of autogen and mesh in the area. ..so i think Jeff is correct about that. Even in real life light flickers due to buildings, houses and trees temporarily blocking the light source for a few second as you move.

The only issue i really don't like about any FSX night lights is that when you zoom out in outside View this lights will get as big as 15 to 20 times their normal sizes using only one monitor and to me that's very unrealistic. I hope one day some has better solution.

Danny
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 10:36am
Thank you for the information Danny.   It is greatly appreciated !
Allen

momo737 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momo737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 11:38am
My pleasure Allen

Danny
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic