SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

9700k build - some questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 9700k build - some questions
    Posted: February-20-2021 at 4:40pm

First post, been reading here for awhile. Thanks to those who provide straightforward info for those of us wanting to learn.

Have most of the parts listed in the 9700k oc outline and plan to start building soon.

1- Reading on the asus forum, some have suggested the o607 bios for the rog hero xi. Any reason to do this or just update to the latest?

2- Intel burn test- use standard, high , extreme ? how many passes and for how long ?

3- Burn test / memtest86 , does it matter which one is done first?   
Donovan16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donovan16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 3:07am
I can't answer exactly for the 9700k/Maximus XI Hero  (my system is 10900K / Maximus XII Hero) but I am familiar with the 9700K outline and the steps involved with setting up, testing and OCing both.

Regarding the BIOS -- I personally know that for the Maximus XII / 10900K, BIOS 0607 is essential for the OC outline.  On the Maximus XI / 9700K whatever is the latest BIOS available for your new MB is recommended.  Nick's 9700K outline used the latest BIOS at the time which was 1502.   Double check that the reference you cite on the ASUS boards that recommended v.0607 are actually for the Hero XI, (and they were not talking about the Hero XII) as that just does not sound right to me.  Nothing else is tuned in the BIOS for the initial memory stick tests other than setting XMP I and double checking that HT is turned off.

Test each memory module as a single stick.  Double check your MB manual for the Hero XI, but for a single stick A-2 is the slot on the Hero XII.  Set BIOS to XMP-I and confirm that the correct values for the memory are indeed showing in the BIOS.  Run Memtest86 (v8.40) on each memory stick for 8 full passes (10 steps each) on each stick alone in the DIMM A-2 slot. Then I checked all sticks 32 Gb passed on the fully populated test of 8 passes (10 Steps ea) Memtest86. (Later on we will use a different memory testing software for testing overclock stability)

After that,  install the Operating System (Win 10 Pro x64) and next  from the ASUS CD/DVD: Chipset Drivers (reboot), SATA Drivers (reboot), then any other drivers with reboots between each driver installation. Only then should you check the ASUS support downloads for any updated drivers for your board.  Then carefully go about setting all the recommended BIOS selections EXACTLY as Nick's guide states, going back to double check and confirm each entry.

RE: the Intel burn test:  There is third party burn testing software, but I preferred to use Intel's.  This version is compatible with the 9700K / Windows10:

It requires that Windows and .NET Framework 4.5.1 or higher is already installed.  Thus the burn test comes after the initial memory testing and installing the OS and drivers.   As I recall the selection is "Burn in Test" which ran for about 2 hours.

If you haven't already (you probably have) I would recommend reading the two earlier guides Nick created, as the overall approach hasn't changed, just specifics:

And of course the OCing Guide for the 9700K "OVERCLOCKING AFTER HASWELL" which you have.

Hope this answers your initial questions and gets you started.

i9 10900K 5.2 GHz, ROG Maximus Hero XII, RTX 3090, 32 Gb GSkill TridentZ 4000 15-16-16, 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2Tb Samsung 860 Pro SSD, (2) 2 Tb WD 7200 HDs, Corsair H150i, Win10 Pro x64
mauser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 2:09pm

Thanks for the detailed answer, and yes it helped alot.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me to read the ( Haswell: 4.8GHz on Air ) its been awhile since i read that.
ROG Maximus XI Hero, 9700k, EVGA 1080TI FTW3, GSKILL 3600 15-15-15 16GTZ, Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT, Corsair HX850I, 2TB EVO PLUS, 6TB WD BLACK
mauser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2021 at 6:05pm
So, Finally got this build together and following along with nicks outline. I passed the memtest 40/40 and ready for OS install but....

While i was in bios after first startup, my cpu temps were 85c after 30 mins. Room temp was 65f. I had applied the cool lab pro just like the video. Took out cpu , cleaned, reapplied cool pro and installed. Not much help, just a slower creep to 85c.
Cut off fans (6) and listened to and felt pump and rad lines. Pump had a slight hum and one line was a little warm, it seemed to be working. Started messing with the lines and finally tied them to top of case . Now after doing that the cpu temp is 65c steady after 1 hour from a start temp of 28c.

Is that normal for the 9700k. Pump is about a year old. Do i need to check fluid level, flush the rad etc, or s**t can the thing and get a new one.

ROG Maximus XI Hero, 9700k, EVGA 1080TI FTW3, GSKILL 3600 15-15-15 16GTZ, Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT, Corsair HX850I, 2TB EVO PLUS, 6TB WD BLACK
Donovan16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donovan16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2021 at 11:26pm
Given what you describe at the very start I wouldn't trust that AIO farther than I could throw it, and I would start with a new AIO cooler system. 

Sitting at idle in an unclocked system running even 65c is a warning flag.  Sitting idle more towards the 35c range is more in line with what I would expect.

There's either an air bubble in the system, a failing pump unit or another form of obstruction that somewhat dislodged with fooling with with tubing, but I wouldn't trust a new build and CPU with it.  As far as flushing it out, etc -- its an AIO and a sealed closed system, so to save a few bucks you are risking the rest of your build.

Peace of mind, to me, is more than worth it.  Looking over your shoulder as you work up the overclock is bad for the neck.  Smile

i9 10900K 5.2 GHz, ROG Maximus Hero XII, RTX 3090, 32 Gb GSkill TridentZ 4000 15-16-16, 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2Tb Samsung 860 Pro SSD, (2) 2 Tb WD 7200 HDs, Corsair H150i, Win10 Pro x64
mauser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2021 at 2:52am
Roger that, ordering one next week. Thank you.

Another question, Both the corsair cooler and psu require a usb header on the mobo and there is only one remaining. I spoke to a corsair tech about plugging the psu into the header, switching to single rail, removing the psu connector and then putting the cooler on that header. He said if i remove the psu connector it would revert back to default mode.

Any thoughts about making this work without buying the $80 hub the tech suggested
Donovan16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donovan16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2021 at 4:50am
There are two usb 2.0 headers on the MB.  I assume you are using one for the extension to the case's front usb 2.0 ports?  You can do the homework yourself, but even a quick search on newegg came up with a number of MB usb 2.0 expansion splitters/hubs for $15-25. 

I know that depending upon your location not everyone has the selection available we do in the US, but they aren't $80 expensive.

mauser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 2:19am
Well, finally got this working and all the usual suspects installed. CPU is 34c at 78f.

Icue, ai suite, and magician are setup and working.

Working my way true nicks bible i come to chapter 5. Of the 26 steps these are the ones i have questions for...   ( win 10 on ssd )

6-8  yes or no

9. Change the Virtual Memory Settings:  Did you change the custom size to 3072 ?

16.  yes or no

25.  yes or no ( this is linked to no.9 above )

Does the FLIGHT SIMULATOR TUNING at the end apply to p3d as well
Donovan16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donovan16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 7:51pm
The reason why I referred you to the FSX Bible was because nowhere else can you get the straight scoop and the background reasoning behind setting up a performance sim system.

However, that was written for 2012-13 hardware and Win7 OS.  

I'll give you some excellent links here to bring you more up to date on setting up today's systems, in particular with how the setup would differ from the original FSX Bible

So -- before you go further, I would refer to these.  Also you should get familiar with the Advanced Search feature, with NickN's posts on particular topics of interest to you. Its better to get it straight from the horses mouth than my rendition! LOL

You asked very good questions, so you deserve good answers!

Best,
    Don
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic