SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > FS Panel/Sound Studio Forums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3d Panel capabilites?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3d Panel capabilites?
    Posted: June-30-2007 at 5:25pm
I just finished trying the FSPS demo and hope to get the answer I would like to this question so I can buy the product and start using it.  I generally only use the 3d panel in FSX but find myself having to use the 2d version when switches or buttons aren't configured on the 3d version!  There are also many panels which have a switch on the 2d but not on the 3d.  I'm therefore wanting to use FSPS to mostly edit the 3d panels.  In the demo I opened a panel for a default FSX aircraft but noticed it was the 2d flavor and was unable to find anything related to the same panel in 3d to work on.  Is 3d panel editing even possible in FSPS or at all?  If so how would I generally go about making the changes in FSPS?

Thanks in advance!  
Ed Struzynski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Struzynski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2007 at 7:14pm
FSPS can help with 3D editing, but only in gauge placement and the process is not intuitive. Microsoft has never documented the process. I suggest you check out the 3D panel tutorial at:

http://www.freeflightdesign.com/tutorials.html
GlennC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlennC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2007 at 12:56am

I have found at least three diffferent styles in add-on panels.  The common ground is that in almost all cases, the VC bitmap is the top level.  All of the gauges ride behind it.  That limits your options.  You can't put a square gauge (like the RXP Sandels) in a round hole and have it look good.  Radio stacks in GA aircraft usually aren't too big of a problem.  Most switch changes may be difficult to impossible because there is no place on the bitmap to put it.  If you are a good artist, you could change the bitmap to allow what you want to do.  I've never done it, but I know it can be done.  One big problem with that is that the license from the developer precludes sharing it, but you can do it for yourself. 

I hope that helps. 

Glenn

stinger2k2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger2k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 3:57am

I have used FSPS for 3d panel editing (by this I assume you mean the VC panel). If you open an existing panel in FSPS which has a VC then you can get an idea of whats going on.FSPS will open up in with the 2d panel showing first. To see the VC go to the views menu and if the panel has one you should see it in the list.

VC panels are made in conjunction with the modelling process.A 3d  backdrop is made in Gmax then then gauges are placed on a transparent backdrop poly which sits just in front of the 3d model. 2d switches will work fine. Some look ok but it depends on the switch/gauge. To have the switches/levers or whatever to actually be 3d themselves then thay have to be modelled in Gmax and given specific part names and key frame animation to work.

I have found FSPS to be indispensible when working with panels as it really speeds up the process of building them. Hope this helps make your decision.

regards Keith

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic