SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10900k PC for full motion sim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAL213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10900k PC for full motion sim
    Posted: November-21-2020 at 12:34pm
 I have a 6 DoF full motion 738 flight simulator. After 12 months of moving and upgrading the sim, i built a new p3d pc:

Mobo: ASUS XII Formula lga1200

CPU: i9 10900k

GPU1: Titan RTX with custom water block/backplate

GPU2: Titan RTX with custom water block/backplate

GPU3: Titan RTX with custom water block/backplate

RAM: Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3466

PSU: Corsair AX1500i

I have 2 dedicated coolers one for cpu and another for the 3 gpus and the vrm. 

Cooler 1: koolance exc-800 (702 fluid clear)

Cooler 2: koolance exc-800 (702 fluid clear)

Display 1: Samsung Q900TS 85" Class HDR 8K

Display 2: Samsung Q900TS 85" Class HDR 8K

Display 3: Samsung Q900TS 85" Class HDR 8K

I only use P3D for the visuals. The flight model and all aircraft systems are powered by a client PC. I run each GPU in NON-SLI config. I just have each display -lugged intothe HDMI of each one of the GPUs. 

Cooling is not an issue for me, as i run each EXC800 10c cooler than ambient and i have a very effective anti-condensation solution in place. 

This is the first time Im tweaking the newest gen of intel cpus. What can i expect out pf this and is there an overvlock guide for the 10900k already in place?

I keep HT off. Despite some users claiming that HT on helps with stutters.... i just dont buy that placebo effect. 

I keep job scheduler out of the config and i set P3D affinity using process laso. I always opted for a “per core” overclock as opposed to “sync all cores”. Since p3d is primarily a single core monster i like to give it a fast core to have fun. 

Any advise would be highly appreciated. I have been building a new fs pc every 18 months but there are still many many things i have yet to learn. 

Thanks in advanced!

6 DoF full motion 737 sim
Twitch: DAL213
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 2:25pm
There is a clocking guide being produced however it is not designed for per-core clocking nor will the guide work with that clock method properly. The number of video cards and the amount of system memory suggests the system will be somewhat restricted on how high it may tune due to extreme I/O and memory controller stress however your best bet it to look elsewhere for such a guide. The one being produced here will not suit your needs.
DAL213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAL213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

There is a clocking guide being produced however it is not designed for per-core clocking nor will the guide work with that clock method properly. The number of video cards and the amount of system memory suggests the system will be somewhat restricted on how high it may tune due to extreme I/O and memory controller stress however your best bet it to look elsewhere for such a guide. The one being produced here will not suit your needs.

Gracias por la respuesta!

What do you mean exactly when you mention that “system will be somewhat restricted on how high it may tune due to extreme I/O and memory controller stress”?

Am i better of reducing the ram from 64 to 32? How do i get rid of those limitations?

Gracias!
DAL213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAL213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 2:31pm
i just realized that i started my response in Spanish. It happens all the time!

“Thank you for your response”
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 2:44pm
It isn't just the memory amount it is also the number of PCIe cards being run at the same time. The combination is exceptionally stressful to the system as it is. I mean, if you can find a single core clock guide it may be better suited for you since running 10 cores in a clock in tandem on good cache and memory latency for high performance is pushing the envelope for a single 3080/3090 card. 

Also, if this is a motion simulator which suggests semi-professional use, I would be cautious about clocking such a tower too high. I am sure it can be clocked up somewhat but given the function it is being applied for and the need for stability in such a environment I wouldn't push it too far. I would go for reliability over maximum speed.

DAL213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAL213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 2:50pm
well said Nick. 

This is a professional-grade 737 full motion sim but is 100% used by me alone as a toy. This is not in a commercial setting. Is in my home. 

I love pushing the envelope. Thats why i upgrade my cpu as often as my socks. 

Do you think i could get better overall performance by only using 1 or maybe 2 of the titan rtx cards?

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 5:34pm
Being this is a Asus motherboard and a z490 chipset with a 10900K, my suggestion is to try the guide that will be posted for a 10 core clock as it will include step-ups in speed. If you can get a system like that to 5.0GHz stable on all 10 cores, possibly 5.1 with no HT, and it test out clean, then that would be the way I would go. 

Take it up slow starting with 5.0 and work it out. I will post a copy here when it is complete. 

There needs to be a serious balance between performance and stability with such a rig and with that will come give and takes. 
DAL213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAL213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 5:55pm
thanks for you help nick. Greatly appreciate it!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 5:56pm
You may have missed something in my outlines over the years..  the CPU and GPU need to be balanced. By hammering 1 core and trailing the rest I do not see that type of system running at its peak efficiency, I see a neutered and unbalanced system. The sim may not use all the cores like folks think, but those cards sure as heck will pass code back and forth to the CPU on all those cores and the cache/memory speed play into that at the same time. 

I would never run per core on any performance system. If it meant I could only get all cores to 48x, 49x or 50x 10 core tandem clock with decent cache and memory latency I would sooner take that over a one-core-wonder that looks cool in the readout but isn't doing me any favors at all.

Review the guide I post when it is complete. Its written for 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 full on 10 core with and without HT but lower all core speed with good cache and memory support can be extrapolated from it. 

DAL213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAL213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 6:44pm
thanks man. 

Yes i understand what you are saying. I will revert back to all core OC and XMP ram and report back
TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 8:35pm
Whoa, that's an awesome simpit!

but...
Something that will be a problem with that system is that one of those Titan card will be bottlenecked running at x4 PCIe; the other two will be at 8x which is acceptable somewhat.  An X299 mobo can get you 16x 16x 8x PCIe for those cards, but a 10900k CPU won't work in it.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.2 no HT, Asus Maximus XII Hero, 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16, EVGA GTX 1070 SC, Noctua NH-D15S, Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU

Win 10 Pro 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2020 at 10:09pm
Depends on the system use for that box. This example may not be gaming but more a semi-professional setup for a small motion simulator which I know most here have no concept of the technical end and how such systems may work different.

Although I agree bus speed in such a setup can be a hindrance, if the system in question is a display system but not acting as the primary control for all I/O then the build may be valid for that purpose. Such a build would need to be carefully evaluated in the networked environment to include the I/O for the motion control feedback system, controls and gauges. 

Ain't nearly my first rodeo when it comes to something like this but it is very rarely seen at this level in the FS hobby arena.

Such setups can take nearly a full week of on-site work to evaluate, correct and adjust for proper motion control feedback with sim input, I/O and visual quality. Clocking can be part of that process but is not the meat and potatoes when it comes to a motion sim pit. If it is designed correctly there is more than one tower involved and they must all be addressed.

DAL213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAL213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2020 at 2:26am
the PC i posted here is just the one that runs P3D. Without any aircraft modeling and just 3 x 4k displays. 

As nick mentioned, this was originally built by a team of engineers that spent a few weeks in my home. The active control loading systems are ran by a dedicated client pc. All avionics and flight model are ran by another client pc. 

I am now kicking myself because all other pcs in the network (4 in total) run on an i9 7900x. The PC i “upgraded” just now for the visuals also ran a 7900x... with 42 pci lanes. I just made an impulse purchase of a higher single clock cpu and a new mother board. 

Now im thinking... to run 3 x 85 inch lcds in 4k... why not step down to 2 gpus? Im sure that the 2 titan rtx can handle the side views... any thoughts?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2020 at 2:28am
You need on-site support

your system can not be evaluated in a forum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic