SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > AirWrench - Air Traffic FX - GeoApr and FS Stall Effects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Using Air Wrench to convert Piston to Turboprop
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Using Air Wrench to convert Piston to Turboprop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using Air Wrench to convert Piston to Turboprop
    Posted: January-15-2020 at 5:34pm
Hello fae Bonnie Scotland! 

I read an article where someone had successfully converted a default FSX C172 into a turboprop using the freeware Air Ed utility.  

He basically did a lot of copying and pasting from one air file to the other & cfg tweaks.

However: is it possible to use Air Wrench instead to convert a piston to a turboprop?  I like the GUI.

The reason I ask is that I'd love to have a turboprop version of the Grumman S2T.

Tapadh leat a charaid agus Oidhche mhah!

Thank you friends and good night!

mudpond View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2020 at 3:07pm
The simple answer should be yes; however, I have to back up and say it used to work, but not currently.

While going through a trial conversion this morning, I discovered a bug in the turboprop engine logic section of AirWrench.  The bug has been corrected, and an update to correct the problem should be available soon...

You won't be able to get a good flight model until the update is available to download, but the process in AirWrench is fairly simple.  

First, I'd highly recommend making a backup copy of your original aircraft.  What I chose to do this morning was make a duplicate copy the Grumman Goose G21A, and rename it the Grumman Goose G21T.  I renamed the copied aircraft folder, renamed the AIR file, and edited the aircraft.cfg file to change all occurrences of 'G21A' to 'G21T'.  When it's done correctly, you'll find a new 'Grumman Goose G21T' in FSX.

After you have a backup, open the flight model you want to convert, enable edit mode, select the 'Dimensions' tab, select 'Turboprop' in the engine type area, go back to the 'Specs' tab and click 'Save Flight Dynamics'.

Other areas within the flight dynamics may need to be adjusted to match the original flight model, but that's standard practice on any flight model modified with AirWrench.

Other things you'll want to consider are changing the sound files and some of the instruments if not the entire panel.  (The Beech King Air 350 is a good source for sound files)

mudpond View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2020 at 11:52pm
AirWrench has now been updated to version 1.06.  Click the 'Check for Updates' button on the 'About' tab to get the download link for the updated AirWrench installer.

Once AirWrench has been updated, the process I outlined in my previous post should work to convert a piston engine flight model to a turboprop version.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic