SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Update 5 - For Enhanced Users!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 4:19pm

Albuquerque, NM

940-810 KB/s

About normal for good servers, not overloaded.

John

jwkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 4:33pm

I'm a bit confused about the backup process in installing 1.05.

My current backup is of the original FSX textures, which is all I want to keep.  It seems like running backup again, as recommended above, would overwrite some or all of those with previous versions of the GEX files.  Am I missing something?

John

Howard View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 4:43pm
Downloading from Glen Ellyn, IL, a suburb West of Chicago. On a T1 line the speed is very slow at 90 kbs.
Howard

logiola View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logiola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 6:20pm
speed: 490
gmark4711 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmark4711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 10:16am

Cincinnati, OH

838KBS - steady

Better than usual.

Tmangus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tmangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 4:10pm

London 460 Kbps

Fastest I ve seen! What on earth did you do? What ever it was, it worked and I like it...

RayThePilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayThePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 9:11pm

Oslo, Norway

400-450 kb/sec

One of the best download speeds I have seen with my connection, but no records are broken, as far as I can remember.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 9:17pm

Originally posted by jwkz jwkz wrote:

I'm a bit confused about the backup process in installing 1.05.

My current backup is of the original FSX textures, which is all I want to keep.  It seems like running backup again, as recommended above, would overwrite some or all of those with previous versions of the GEX files.  Am I missing something?

John

There is a list that the tool will look at and if new files are not in the backup, it will back them up and skip the ones that already are.. if I am not mistaken

I do not work on the interface or the installer, just the textures so someone like Steve or Anthony would have to confirm that for sure but as i recall from a recent conversation, that is how it works so it will not overwrite anything, just add to it as needed.

c152flyboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c152flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 9:57am
dartmouth massachusetts.  started with 1.3 MB/sec and weaned it's way down to 760 mb/sec and pretty much stayed there.  so much for Comcast 4 MB like they say.  this is a bit above my average DL speed for me.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 10:15am

Its not 4MB  its 4mb   Megabytes and Megabits are 2 different things and ISP's like Comcast love to play with the terminology because they know most don't know the difference and assume.

Comcast gives a % of overhead so 4 megabits is .5 megabytes... or 500KB/s and with their overhead they allow a burst depending on the network, your network card settings, and, how busy the network is and it will trickle down... so you can see 'burst' peaks of as high as 2-3000KB/s or 2-3MB/s if your network card in Windows is tuned to allow the higher burts. But it will trickle down no matter what.

In that, they can get away, legally, posting the numbers

If you open the RWIN window and tweak on the network card (requires a bit of learning) you can probably hold right around 900-1300KB\s with that Comcast connection and burst to 3-4000KB\s (3-4MB/s)... that is why they can post what they say and get away with it. It is possible to hit those numbers... what they dont tell you is it is not possible to maintain them..  and their fine print disclaimer will say the values are based on several factors    LOL

Crusader1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 5:22pm

1.  New Lexington , Ohio

2.  846

3. A bit faster

GEX is a " Must Have "  ! Outstanding product , keep up the great work .

jmiguez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmiguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 8:06pm
Currently at 193 KB/Sec.  Started at 300 KB then settled down.

Lafayette, LA  AT&T DSL line
John
chik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 8:34am
Download started at 980kb's/sec and hovered and peaked at 1148kb's /sec
Maximus XI Hero Z390, i9-9900K@5.3G, NH-DH15, GTX 1080FE, VGA SuperNOVA 1000 Watt, G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB, Samsung 970 PRO 512GB, Vast 3440X1440
jeffbboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffbboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 10:16am
Nick,  What is that about the RWIN window and tweaking the network card?  I'm not sure I ever heard of the RWIN window.  I use Comcast and would love to improve download speeds.
Overshoe View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 2:53pm
1.  Bangor, Maine USA

2.  580kbs

3.  About 6x faster than another major archive immediately following
Tom Constantine

http://mainescenery.proboards.com/
Steve Halpern View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 3:19pm
Thanks for the testing and reports up until now. Do still post your reports if at all possible.
Steve

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 4:08pm

Originally posted by jeffbboat jeffbboat wrote:

Nick,  What is that about the RWIN window and tweaking the network card?  I'm not sure I ever heard of the RWIN window.  I use Comcast and would love to improve download speeds.

Sorry... lets call it the TCP Receive Window

This is to be used at your own risk. Tweaking such things should be done after learning how the system works and how your ISP functions in your area

Use this software...

SG TCP Optimizer  http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

back up the current settings to recover if it does not help, then make sure the right adapter is shown in the drop-down and make the following changes:

These are settings for Comcast with the account most use, however they can nned to be tweaked for different types of acconnts and locations, and, they can be used for other ISP with variations..

I do wish to point out that not all Comcast customers may see a positive change with that. There is more to tuning the network connection than using settings that someone else may post. Your location may demand a different TTL or TCP Recieve Window.

You may wish to learn about the settings and ISP's here before trying.

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in.php?category=100

You can restore the original from the backup you made at any time.

spesimen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spesimen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 1:37am

san francisco, ca

initial burst at 1.3m, then average around 800k/s

this is a relatively comparable download speed as to what i get from other sites hosting big files. i also use comcast cable but with no tweaks.

FC5452 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FC5452 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 10:28am

Nazareth, PA

Steady @ 330kb/sec

Tony_P

ASUS P5n32E-SLI
E6850 OC'd to 3.8
EVGA 8800GTX
D/D Water Cooled 1000W
Corsair PC8500 5-5-5-15-21 1100 Mhz 4Gigs
6 10K raptors 150Gb
XP Pro and Vista 32/64 Dual Boot and now XP Pro 64
Outlaw24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outlaw24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 10:11pm

1. Fayetteville, North Carolina

2. 180kbs

3. Slower than normal

fxri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fxri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 2:21pm
Espoo, Finland
1200-1400 kbps
better than before
h2egc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2egc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2008 at 9:14am

West Shokan, New York

1.12mb

no

WebMaximus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebMaximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 9:27am

Stockholm - Sweden

Started at approx 1,8 MB and then went down and stayed at approx 1,3 MB - that's very good !!

Thanks for the update BTW, now I just want the Europe version as well Wink

alphahawk3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphahawk3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 12:46am

1-Columbia,Tn

2-588kb/s-start to finish.

3-Faster than other sites. This is the max I can get from Charter at a 5mb connection. Charter really puts a choke on you as I am always a little slower in my SppedTest than my 5 mb.

heyjoojoo View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyjoojoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 9:57pm
Cool.

1. El Sobrante, CA

2. 1389kb/s (lowest speed)

papab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 8:04am

1. Tampa Fl

2. Settled to 2.47MB/sec!

3. Downloaded in 1 min 12 secs!

yimmy149 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yimmy149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 11:06pm
Downloaded between 800-900 kB/sec in Bothell, WA via comcast.  Pretty normal speed for me.
hjmx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hjmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 3:48am
up to 1450 kb/s

vienna, austria

Harry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic