SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Win 7 permissions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win 7 permissions
    Posted: May-15-2009 at 11:37pm

Ok... all this permissions stuff has me going insane.  I run Coretemp64 to monitor my overclock.  However, every time I want to launch I have to regrant permissions.  Yes, I am running as admin.  I still have to say yes EVERY time.  I knew the transition from XP to Win7 would not be without it's hiccups and this so far is the only thing causing me grief (albiet very minimal grief).

What do I need to do to get this to ask for the LAST time and be for ever allowed to run without prompting for permission.  Help appreciated.

Paul Scott Bartelt

The grass is always greener over the septic tank

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2009 at 3:17pm

Did you disable UAC completely and its still asking for admin on software boot?

luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2009 at 4:39pm

Don't want to entirely disable UAC.  I do that for installing stuff, but run it at the reccomended level otherwise.  I know that method will work, but it's not something I want to do. I was hoping for a one and done approval.

Paul Scott Bartelt

katyp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 10:57am
Paul,

Are you running the latest version of Coretemp64?
Best
Katy
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 3:06pm

Just an FYI

UAC IS NOT A CURE FOR PROTECTION!

It is in fact a tool for network admis to maintain control of their system in a multiuser envionement and is designed to be over and above protection from the office network scanners and the office user from installing realplayer and other crap without IT knowing.. and it is backup for other systems on the same network to be isolated from an infected terminal

in a home system UAC is just about useless and it will contract a bug just as easy disabled as it will ENABLED.. why do you think they offer Defender and security center NAGS if no AV is installed? Because UAC is only protection for the network admin that his/her setup wont get messed with.. the local system is JUST AS OPEN to attack. UAC will also ISOLATE the terminal on the network that got popped and not allow it to spread..

just so you are aware

do yourself a favor.. shut it down.. its a useless as boobs on a bull for real protection on a local home system

all you need is good front line protection...  NOD32 AV and not their entire suite just the AV

Spybots Search and Destroy updated and run every so often with the system immunized

Malwarebytes updated and run every so often

Windows Firewall enabled

thats it

luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 6:42pm
Yes, I am running 0.99.4 64-bit version.

Paul Scott Bartelt

luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 6:49pm

Hi Nick,

Currently running

• Avast 4.8
  • Windows Defender (I believe there is some redundancy here with Avast but am not disabling it, just yet, until I lean more)
  • Windows firewall
  • Hardware firewall (SPI) on my router.

Paul Scott Bartelt

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 9:04pm

Yep.. Kill Defender.. not needed

Also, Kill SEARCH (AKA: Indexing)

and if you dont use it (and I never do) kill system restore

and kill Aero too

Google how to kill those correctly.. there is the settings to turn them of and the service at logon too.

I would and post links but dont have time right at the moment

People will tell you Aero is shut down when FSX is booted.. what they dont understand is the goal is to boot without ANY footprint from these services on the system at all.. that is where the perf comes from... shutting them down after booting into Windows and running the sim right away is worthless in compare. That is why I do not advocate the use of 'end it all' programs and then boot the sim. They dont do what they say they do

Check your MSCONFIG list too.. if there is trash in it like Adobe Reader, MSMesenger, etc.. get rid of it. You only need support for your scanner, sound and video system.. and input devices if you use them.

luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 10:49pm
  • Defender set to MANUAL
  • Search set to MANUAL
  • Non Aero theme selected (did this kill it?)
  • Never setup system restore so apparently that is why I do not see it in services

Paul Scott Bartelt

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 11:30pm

Great site for info

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/59910-services.html

Look here:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81176-speed-up-performance-vista.html

on that page check out the following but leave the others alone (DONT MESS WITH ANYTHING ELSE THEY LIST, JUST WHAT I POSTED:

Turn Aero Glass Transparency Off

Adjust Visual Effects for Best Performance

leave the following enabled:

Show windows content while dragging
Smooth edges of screen fonts
Use common tasks in folders <-- Optional, I use this but you can deselect
Use drop Shadows for Icon labels on the desktop <--Optional, I use this but you can deselect
Use Visual styles on Windows Buttons

The above settings will keep windows looking sharp but without the memory drain.

Disable the Search Index

Turn Off System Restore (no service involved.. forgot)

Defender: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/93118-windows-defender-off.html

and its NAG:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69601-windows-defender-notification.html

and its Service.. scroll down the Services list

UAC: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/48893-user-account-control-uac.html

Set the services to DISABLED Please.. not MANUAL

You can turn them back on if you want at any time. MANUAL DOES NOT CLEAR THE FOOTPRINT AT BOOT

one last thing.. FSX being INSIDE PROGRAM FILES even with UAC disable will STILL be monitored and nanny'd

Either install it OUTSIDE of program files.. preferably on its on drive OR reasign the SECURITY on the Program Files folder to FULL

See F1's writeup here;

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=vista#uac

look under:  Change Folder Ownership and Permissions

Best bet is to just not install FSX into Program Files with Vista

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 11:56pm

I almost Forgot...

ON the services BOX look for the tab that says LOGON as shown:

Click that tab.. in the box where it displays across from the Hardware Profile..  the word ENABLED.. double click ENABLED and it will switch to DISABLED and then click apply

THAT is what kills a service at bootup.. any other way STILL LOADS the footprint

So ANY service you DISABLE under the GENERAL TAB of that service.. DISABLE IT AT LOGON under the LOGON TAB TOO!

katyp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 6:25pm
All good advice Paul, but if you use IE as your browser keep UAC on to keep IE in protected mode, there are ways to disable security prompts without shutting down UAC completely... Or use another browser   
Best
Katy
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 7:37pm

Thanks guys and gals...

Nick,

I am going to assume that although you keep referring to Vista that you understand that I am running Win7 (eval build 7100)

Paul Scott Bartelt

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 8:37pm

You mean Vista7? (who are they trying to kid?) LOL

opppssss

senior moment Embarrassed musta caught something from Peter

Its the same methodology about shutting down the exact same items listed above and the services .. but there are differences in how its done with W7. still similar

Lemme see if I can locate a W7 site that has the same information..

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 11:18pm

Well dang it.. I cant find anything right off hand that has good complete tutorials.. I will look again tomorrow

I had to find all that stuff using the pick and peck method when I installed W7 and its follow ups.. I hate new OS's when they change where everything is.

As I said, its the same settings and items you are after.. access to some of them are in the same place and others are not. I was trying to avoid a manual writeup but it looks like the online resources for W7 are kinda thin right now

will check again tomorrow

katyp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 9:12am
As Win 7 is still in RC many things will change again upon final...
Best
Katy
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 8:04pm

Yea I know

dontch'a just love MS?

LOL

CycoSomat1c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CycoSomat1c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2009 at 2:15pm
If I can be of some assistance, I've been administering Windows networks for over 15 years and have been beta testing Windows 7 so I might can help. First off, most of the UAC controls should be handled in the same way you'd do in Vista. You can disable UAC completely since you're the system admin. As Nick said it's mainly used in multiple user environments when the administrator needs to control certain user's access rights. As for the firewall, you should never have multiple firewalls running as you will certainly get conflicts in your IP rules when apps try to access outside the network. If you're using a router with SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection), that is considered a hardware firewall. In that case, I'd disable Windows firewall in services.msc and, unless you need spyware protection I'd also disable Defender. Disabling the processes in services.msc is sufficient, no need to go overboard with individual logon kills, those are for restricting services to individual account logons only. You can verify this by bringing up task manager after a reboot and you'll see that the services aren't loaded into memory.
Asus Rampage Extreme| Intel E8400 @ 4.3ghz| 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333| HD4870 512MB| (2x)750GB SAMSUNG SATA (RAID 0)| Antec 850w PSU| 24" LCD| Logitech G9 & G15| H20-cooling| Lian Li PC2010| Vista x64
ShaneR View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaneR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2009 at 3:45pm
Nick, just a small thing that MAY confuse some:

In Vista, there is actually no option for "use common tasks in folders" under visual effects.

That setting is emulated under the "Organize" toolbar option in the explorer view. Organize-->Layout.

Further, the options available will depend on what you have selected, "Show Preview and Filters" or "Use Windows Classic Folders" in TOOLS-->FOLDER OPTIONS. (Show preview and Filters is also an option under Visual effects).

Hope that made sense...

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2009 at 3:48pm

Thanks Shane!

I dont have a lot of time to go into specifics and clarify things so thanks for ringing in!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic