SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Scenery and Mission Making Tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AFX: Invisible airports?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFX: Invisible airports?
    Posted: August-18-2007 at 2:01pm
I'd like to create an airport to match some detailed VFR photo scenery. I'd like only the photo scenery to be visible, with everything else invisible. That means that not only the runway needs to invisible but also all the links, parking spots and helipads etc. etc. How can I do this in AFX?

You may ask "why bother having an AFX/AFCAD file at all?", well its simply because I still want AI traffic to use my airport and tax to/from the parking spots.

cheers

Andy
FSDiscoverer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSDiscoverer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 10:01am
Are you using FS2004 or FSX?

For runways, you can either bury them underground by setting their elevation below the airport elevation, or move them far away from the airport by changing their coordinates. FS needs the (visible) runway definitions in order to decide which runway becomes active. You should also add runway links and start locations (these define the behaviour of AI traffic). These should be placed at actual runway locations in the photo scenery. Make sure you define the correct width for the runway links.

For taxiways, use the "Apron path" link type. They are invisible, except for the markings and lights, if you add any.

Parking spots and nodes are always invisible, so there is no difference to a non-photo scenery.

You don't need to add any helipads, because the AI traffic doesn't utilize them. You can, however, add start locations at helipads for your own use.

jvile View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 3:14pm

Do not change a runways elevation in order to try and hide underground.

FSX is not FS9 and contrary to what others belive and have posted here on this forum, a FSX runway (unlike FS9) has a built in flatten that uses a bounding box.

If you lower the runway elevation it will continue to show and use the ARP elevation in the APXnnnnnn.bgl as the reference. What you will get is airport ground distortion around a runway.

None of this addresses the various Airport elevation floors (4) that are read at different times on startup of FS9/FSX (black bar moving left to right during load). FS9/FSX does not allow ANY UTILITY to change Airport Elevation placed at a higher priority but FSX always uses the default ARP elevation found in the APXnnnnn.bgl. The only MS approved work around is preload a Airport elevation prior to FS9/FSX reading the AP9/Xnnnnnn.bgl. 

If you change the ARP elevation to try and compensate for the lower runway elevation then FSX cancels all the new lower elevations and reverts back to the APXnnnnn.bgl elevation and no changes are made.

Do not move a runway away from the airport thinking this will hide it (within 108NM of the airport ARP). ATC will vector any arrival plane to the runway regardless of where it is positioned in the 108NM radius.

This is part of the basic foundation which allows for my Crosswind Runway Technique used both in FS9 and FSX allowing all runways to be open at the same time.

I have seen others on this forum refer to some of my techniques as trickery.

FS9/FSX has the code for techniques to be used that they did not activate. It is up to us to use the code and make a airport more realistic rather then destroying Airport scenery in the way it looks and Aircraft behavior which Utilities will do if changes are made in the wrong areas.  

Runways are properties of the Airport Header. That means you can place a runway halfway around the world and it is still a runway that belongs to that airport.

In FS9 we can make a runway invisible by using the correct texture that MS gave us. This is no longer honored in FSX so the only way to make a runway invisible in FSX is to decrease the width value to the point that FSX still honors the runway link path but the texture does not show.

Runway compiled texture length is proportional to runway texture width. The smallest postage stamp type runway that FSX honors is 1M x 1M. The width of the Texture can only become smaller if the runway is lengthen.

Runway textures are part of the code for airborne arrival airplanes and runway link lines are code for ground behavior.

Jim
Airtrooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 11:23am
I'm using FSX only.

I've realised there is also an UNKNOWN runway type. This allows me to have a blank runway, but leaves a green smudge on my photo scenery where the runway is.

Other than changing the runway elevation, moving the runway, or making the runway very small are there any other methods to make it completely transparent or invisible?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic