SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stutters 1080ti dynamic lighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stutters 1080ti dynamic lighting
    Posted: December-14-2018 at 2:08pm
Just got a EVGA1080ti and followed Nicks guide

I’m running low settings, P3D V4.4, windows 7 and a i74770k over clocked to 4.2ghz using the haswel guide.

Also running a 4k samsung 79* TV because i have a homecockpit and don’t use VC addon planes anymore.

I have Dynamic lighting enabled but when at an airport with DL and i have my aircrafts landing lights on etc it stutters slightly. Even turning them off it still stutters. I was expecting good performance with the 1080ti but i’m let down. My system is actually not bad and i’m not using crazy settings.

I’ve set Nvidia inspector per nicks guide and using 2x spare grid supersampling.

I even set a lower monitor resolution in P3D like down to 2560x1600x32
Overclocked Intel Core i7-4770k Quad Core, ASUS Z87-A EVGA GTX 980ti
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2018 at 9:57pm
Please read section 11 again.

There is no such thing as a free lunch and even the mighty 1080ti is not going cut through P3D with SGSS and DL running. Those can be crazy settings when you put the two together with the scenery/planes that generate it.

Even though you have a Haswell system, which is still a good setup if you are running decent clock and memory speed, that doesn't mean it will chew through P3D either.

At this point and since you can't get the processor any higher with stability it would probably be in your best interest to move to a newer system that will easily run 700-800 higher (5GHz range) and not require as much experience to obtain that speed.

But even with that, don't expect miracles pushing DL/DR and SGSS

I would suggest being a bit more reasonable at this point by dropping SSGS, running 8xMSAA and backing off the P3D bling.. https://www.simforums.com/forums/answered-returning-after-three-years_topic60742_post386921.html#386921 scroll down to #5

If you changed video cards (used or otherwise) and you are sure the card is working correctly, you must also have properly updated the drivers, flushed the shader cache and started with a clean config file.

Past that it is simply what your system can handle in resolution and settings with the aircraft and scenery you are running. Start reasonable and work your way up (not the other way around) but personally, I would avoid the shiny bling of DL and DR and only move into SSGS if there is no other option.

Driver170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2018 at 5:18am
Thanks nick.

I discovered last night by following a few settings from mark on this post https://www.simforums.com/forums/bigger-visuals-needed-advice-required_topic60264.html seemed to have helped alot. I have also changed the resolution in P3d to 1920x1200 32 ?

seems like dropping the in game resolution helped. or should i be using the native resolution that my screen is set at?

Also using 30hz vsync on, frames set at 30 and TB

I will use your above settings in that post 5 and start low.

EDIT

Very smooth indeed so far but only time i stutters is when switching on all Prosim lights (landing lights, turnoff and taxi lights) these are DL. But if i only turn on landing lights its smooth but soon as i turn the other ones like taxi and turnoff it stutters slightly 
Driver170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2018 at 5:47am
Hmm very strange, At Lows Salzburg by digital desgin that gives me slight stutters with all lights on and on the runway end. But at my other payware airports at night its smooth
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2018 at 10:08pm

Reads to me like a mixed case of #1 #2 and #3 in the Bible thread...

The top 3 reasons for Flight Sim performance and visual issues are:

1. I want more. I want payware airports with top end goodies. This is probably more than my hardware will render.

2. The ignorant developer expects me to be running 5Ghz on 1080ti SLi or crank my settings down to run their scenery because they don't care.

3. The base code of the sim is backwards and as such the more they overstuff the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

You basically proved all 3 statements with how this thread started, and where you are now.

Driver170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2018 at 3:32am
Just been testing around each payware airport at night and its smooth. I set Nvidia inspector to default as i was running 2x SGSS. The 1080ti is a beast once you fine tune your settings. I also cranked down settings. Flew about at Zurich in bad weather and done a few Touch n Go’s which was smooth. Overall i’m happy now with my card.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2018 at 4:23am
Well, that is a far cry from the first post in the thread..

I never said to run SGSS in the override of NVI as a norm, I said that if there are shimmer issues you can't get past then try the override and in the last section (11) NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH, I made it clear that might not work. I also pointed out in the same section that if the hardware can't do that with your addons/setup then you have to drop back and punt (American football for..  'we didn't get far enough down the field for a TD or a field-goal attempt')

My outlines do not include suggestions for setup of huge payware airports and scenery regions. The reason is, I, and/or no one else can suggest settings that provide the miracle change with all the scenery providers. Perhaps now you see how much those scenery items really cost. They offer you these awesome advancements.. you buy them, the issue is: can you run them the way you want and expected from the pictures? 

You might want to throw down for the 5Ghz CPU with DDR4 4100 @ C17, the NVMe PCie x4 SSD and the dual 1080ti in SLi.. now you are cooking with gas but a whole lot lighter in the wallet. Wink ..and even with that investment you are still not going to get everything you expect.

There are some out there who will spend top dollar on the most recent hardware advancements and offerings and they still deal with the sim, but rarely admit it. Some use it to brag, show off and get their jollies. Some are shills for free scenery, showing off demo videos and images of 'this is what YOU can have' (when you can't because you don't run their hardware) and believe me, those videos or pictures are usually not a true reflection of everyday sim use.

However if you follow the forums what is hilarious is that those who buy into all that seem to continue looking for the tweak, the performance enhancement application, scouting the FS forums for anything to try that suggests a upgraded/change,. but for some reason they are still looking. LOLBig smileWink after 5-6 years of simulator and hardware 'advancements'.

Many come 'lurking' around here to read what I say about hardware so they feel they can install their 'crack' laced addons. They will be back for the latest advice. And of course I will continue to be the bad guy and the dinosaur outside this forum.

Most important however is that it appears you are getting to where you need to be based on what your hardware will provide with the addons.

Driver170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2018 at 7:12am
To be honest nick I don’t look anywhere else for hardware guidance or sim guidance i do however come here and ask for your free support which is absolutely amazing. I read too much BS on that P3D forums like Avsim and the facebook Prepar3d group page. You would probably be shocked at the garbage that gets tossed in there.

So lets say i want To upgrade my hardware. Am i best keeping my tower and just update the components that I buy? I would seek professional help to install these for me thats for sure.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2018 at 1:20pm
What you are saying is that you are not satisfied with the current result.

As long as you clearly understand that if this (today) was 2007-2008, you would not be satisfied with the result. You were probably (eventually) not satisfied with the result in 2012-2014, just put up with it, and today its coming back around again.

There is a reason for that.

If you were to upgrade the hardware and leave your settings as-is, perhaps gain a few slider ticks here and there and not pile on any more junk, focus on flying the plane instead of looking out the window, the entire process is cheaper and becomes satisfying.

Have you ever been in or seen a full motion multi-million dollar professional or military grade flight simulator? If not and you think they are projecting dynamic light/reflections, rendering the signs at the local gas stations, displaying the wavy grass on the side of the runway or showing the hooker working the bar in the lounge through the terminal window, then you haven't seen a multi-million dollar professional or military grade flight simulator. Wink

As for a professionally built tower. Here in the USA there are a few options. I do not know of any in Europe but I would think there would be something like that over there. Point is, even if you have a system built by a pro and pay top dollar for the best of the best in hardware/CPU clock...., it is only going to run as well as you allow it to run.

If you catch my drift Big smile

Driver170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2018 at 4:08pm
Totally catch your drift sir.

I’m indeed satisfied with my current i74770k OC at 4.3 and running windows 7. I have truly learnt over the years by not completely piling on all the junk on my P3d system. I do however own Orbx products, ASN, REX 4d etc. It does make the sim pretty for friends to look at when they fly 737 homecockpit.

Only products i add these days to my sim is airport addons which is a must
Driver170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2019 at 8:44am
Hi nick,

I think if i want to run 8xMSAA or higher with DL i need to drop it to 2xMSAA in P3D

Some airports with DL can handle 4XMSAA but my new addon from Digital Design Liverpool somehow struggles slightly with 4XMSAA.

I’m not looking for any kind of advice i know what i need to do and that is drop it to 2XMSAA if flying to this new airport at night. Not sure why this is the only airport that suffers my other addons from MK studios etc run nicely with 4X and even 8x

But anyway just letting you know.

AnkH View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 3:45am
Dont just play around with the antialiasing alone, there are more settings that in my opinion are not really "necessary" in night time flying that could possibly increase the performance to a level you get good results even with DL on.

Me, for example, I use the "preset" option P3D offers to have "presets" configured for different types of flying, for example I have a "preset" called "Standard IFR", one called "IFR night time", one "VFR maximal settings" etc. Nice thing about those "presets": as long as they do not have different settings for scenery related options (autogen draw distance, mesh complexity etc.), you can switch those profiles "on the fly" without P3D reloading everything.
More specifically, in my "preset" for night time flying, I not only turned down antialiasing from 4xSSAA to 4xMSAA, but also disabled cloud shadows and trrain shadows, reduced shadow draw distance, disabled almost all water reflections and reduced shadow cast and receive options (e.g. I do not see any reason why to have vegetation shadow cast and/or receive "on" in night time).

All together, I now reach my internal frame lock of 30FPS resulting in a very smooth sim in almost every scenario also during night time with DL on. The only hassle that remains is during dusk/dawn, when I am not sure about what is the right moment to switch "presets" ;-) Sometimes it happens that performance goes down the drain and I wonder why, until I realize that now the moment of switching "profiles" is there. As soon as I then switch from day to night "profile", the sim is again smooth as silk.
--------------------------------
Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic