SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > FSiPanel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - (Solved)Black Displays in FSX with 777 Windows 8.1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

(Solved)Black Displays in FSX with 777 Windows 8.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Solved)Black Displays in FSX with 777 Windows 8.1
    Posted: July-30-2014 at 3:59am
I have just installed FSX on a Windows 8.1 laptop, together with the PMDG 777. When I setup the approach with FsiPanel, the cockpit displays are black and the trimming process does not stop, with the aircraft pitching up continuously.

The Flight1 complex aircraft startup utility has been used before loading the 777, and I have used CTRL-K to disable the controllers with the 777 before proceeding in FSiPanel.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.
J-P Garraio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 5:31am
Hi,

Windows 8.1 UAC rules have changed, this might be your problem.

Now even if you go to the UAC menu and set the slider all the way down, the User Account control is NOT fully deactivated.

FSiPanel needs to modify file in FSX directory to create your specific scenario, Windows 8.1 doesn't allow it.

Please try the following which worked for another 8.1 user:

1:
open regedit and locate this key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane look for EnableLUA and modify its value to 0. Close regedit.

Restart computer.

Warning

Setting the EnableLUA to 0 will make all metro apps stop working until you set it back to 1 and restart the computer.

2: Delete your previously created 777 on FSiPanel and recreate a new one with UAC OFF.

Try an approach with this new setting.

Please let me know if that fixes your issue.

Kind regards,

J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
SleepyWeltonBoy View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 6:28am
J-P,

Many thanks for your reply. I have tried the registry fix and unfortunately this has not done the trick, although UAC is now switched off properly.

Any further thoughts again most welcome.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 4:32am
Just to confirm, are you running PMDG 777 with Service Pack 1 installed?
J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 4:39am
Hi J-P,

I am indeed using SP1 with the PMDG 777.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 4:45am
Ok and when starting the 777 on ground to create the aircraft with FSIPANEL, are all the screens powered?
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 4:51am
Yes, the display screens are all powered with the aircraft on the ground.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 4:54am
Can you try to un uninstall FSiPanel and create a new installation now that UAC is disabled.
Try to install it on c:\fsipanel
J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 5:01am
Wilco, J-P,

At work at present but will try later today at 16:00 UK time and will report back then. Many thanks for your excellent support in the meantime.

Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:37am
I have uninstalled FSiPanel and reinstalled it in C:\FSiPanel and same result with the displays black and the aircraft pitching up continuously in the trimming process.

Maybe I am a bit over-ambitious expecting that FSX will work in Windows 8.1 and I certainly don't think we can expect Microsoft to leap to our assistance on account of 'incompatibility' issues.

Any further ideas would, however, be very welcome.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 11:30am
Do you have any Anti-Virus Malware software installed?
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 11:44am
Yes, I am using Windows Defender in Windows 8.1.

Do you recommend switching it off?
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 12:01pm
Just tried switching off Anti-Virus/Firewall - same result!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 12:24pm
Did you create a new aircraft when your antivirus was off?
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 12:56pm
Just created a new aircraft with antivirus off and I get the same result, i.e. black displays and aircraft continuously pitching up during the trimming process.
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 4:02pm
Hi J-P,

Whereas I am probably pushing my luck with an unsupported OS (Windows 8.1), both in terms of FSiPanel and the PMDG 777 (you've confirmed their statement on support for Windows 8.1), have you had any opportunity to look into this phenomenon, please?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 7:46am
Hi,

Not yet, but i will start looking at it.
The problem is that I need to install a full computer with Win 8.1 and FSX, P3D and development platform on a new computer or hard disk to check compatibility.

This will take me some time... So I need to wait for a day OFF to start and finish this debugging in one day if everything runs smoothly.

It is on my todo list, I need to check if FSiPanel can be compatible with 8.1 and which aircraft.

Thanks for your patience, I will keep you posted.

J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 7:48am
Can you give me the following info:

- Windows 8.1 32 or 64 bits
- any antivirus?
- any malware software?
- FSX SP2 and latest PMDG 777 ?

Thanks,

J-P
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 8:47am
OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit. Antivirus is Microsoft Security Essentials.

I am using FSX Acceleration and hence SP2 standard and the latest PMDG model build 6061.
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SleepyWeltonBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 4:31am
Thanks to J-P's efforts, a workaround to this problem has now been found.

The trick is to set FSX memory protection to Extreme in FSiPanel. Now set up the aircraft in FSiPanel (with FSX running) as usual and select MOVE A/C with the selected approach. The effect of setting the memory leak to Extreme is to shutdown FSX temporarily when MOVE A/C is pressed, but FSX itself soon restarts and positions the PMDG 777 on the approach precisely. The screens are no longer black and are fully operational again! It should be noted that you should delete all slew assignments to controllers in FSX to avoid issues with excessive slewing and perhaps an inability to set the aircraft up on the approach correctly.

Full marks to J-P for his excellent support and I am more than happy to mark this as solved.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-P Garraio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2014 at 4:39am
Thanks a lot! Thread is solved
FSiPanel for FSX
www.fsipanel.com
Jean-Pierre Garraio
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic