SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Severe performance hit at MMMX with UTX TAC Roads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Severe performance hit at MMMX with UTX TAC Roads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Proudfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Severe performance hit at MMMX with UTX TAC Roads
    Posted: October-30-2015 at 11:20am
A couple of months ago I purchased Ultimate Terrain X Tropical America and Caribbean and Taxi2Gate's MMMX airport.

I noticed there were some quite severe stutters and pauses when on the take-off roll. They would last for nearly a second which is huge in FSX terms. Having a pretty fast i7 4770K @ 4.4 and a GTX 780 3Gb card this surprised me.

I initially suspected the airport scenery but after conducting tests with both the airport disabled and then various elements of TAC disabled I discovered the problem lies in TAC Roads being enabled. Apart from the severe stutters and pauses the frame rate also dropped from 65 to 25. That's a massive hit.

I searched through the T2G forum and found someone else who had reported the problem and he had the solution. You can read his findings here. http://forum.iflysimx.com/topic/724-fsx-mmmx-xtreme-serious-issues/#comment-4710

This is the first time I can recall UTX having such a severe hit on performance. If you wish to try this test yourself then setup a free flight with the Trike with the following coordinates:-

N19 26.65
W099 3.76
Altitude 7454
Heading 235

Set the sim in slew mode and increase the speed to 69mph (for consistency with my test). At three points before reaching the airport boundary you will encounter severe stutters. This is entirely reproducible.

I have followed the guidance in the topic linked to and it has resolved the stutters and the frame rate has increased from 25 to 65. That makes it a pretty important adjustment.

Look forward to your comments.
Cheers,

Ray
3 miles east of EGCC.
Ray Proudfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Proudfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2015 at 7:18pm
No response after more than 24 hours is disappointing. Is no-one prepared to at least check my findings?
Cheers,

Ray
3 miles east of EGCC.
ubersu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubersu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2015 at 7:22pm
Ray, it's the weekend - Flight1 doesn't work on the weekends.  From my standpoint, I use all the UTX stuff and notice no particular hit.  I run an old i7 920 at 3.5GHz, a 1Gbyte 260X NVidia card, and 6 GBytes of Corsair ram.

DJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Proudfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2015 at 7:24pm
Okay, I'll wait until Monday. Thanks.

I'm surprised you've found no problem at MMMX. For me it was very obvious with a more powerful system. Both severe stutters and a huge fps hit. Hard to miss really.
Cheers,

Ray
3 miles east of EGCC.
ubersu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubersu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2015 at 9:10pm
I think it all has to do with slider settings, FSX settings, UTX settings, and the general balance of the computer and its software ...

DJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Proudfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2015 at 4:42am
Given all I did was disable then re-enable UTX Roads for TAC in scenery.cfg  I don't think any other settings come into the equation.

And the TAC install was standard up to the point where I made the changes as mentioned in the linked topic on the T2G forum.

Just to clarify the test. I positioned the Trike 150ft above the main taxiway adjacent to Rwy 23R and slewed above that taxiway at 69mph on a heading of 235 degrees until I reached the airport perimeter at the far end. Very simple to setup and test.

It's not necessary to have the T2G MMMX airport. This is purely a UTX 'issue'.
Cheers,

Ray
3 miles east of EGCC.
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2015 at 11:46pm
Search is your friend. As noted in this post from over a year and a half ago:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/taxi2gate-mmmx-mexico-city-xtreme-fsx-issue_topic48660_post299052.html

Originally posted by quantumleap quantumleap wrote:

The UTX TAC Mexico City area with all its roads and the moving traffic that it adds can load up the FSX scenery engine and cause a reduction in overall performance if you do not have a very high end system.

Recommendation in this case is to use the UTX Setup Tool and make all the "RT<n> Moving Traffic" entries in the Road Surfaces right-hand feature section inactive except for RT0.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Proudfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 4:28am
Jeff,

Apologies for the late reply. I wasn't notified of your post.

I did search for a solution but didn't find the one you've quoted. I'll check my UTX settings, thanks.

LATER: Those settings didn't work for me. Still big pauses at 3 points. But the advice in my linked first message does work. I'll paste the relevant bit...

What I can say is that I have now figured out exactly what to disable in UTX to get rid of the fps issue. You don't need to disable anything inside FSX, but in the config tool for UTX Tropical America and Caribbean you need to deactivate "RD1 Large Urban Major Roads" and as a result of that you need to deactivate "RT0 Moving Traffic for all major roads" and activate "RT1 Moving Traffic for all roads except large urban areas". Perhaps this piece of information can help you investigate further.
Cheers,

Ray
3 miles east of EGCC.
FlyingAxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingAxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 11:47am
Hello Ray,

Mexico City seems to eat the frames, ideed. However, I'd been warned by a review I saw at simMarket regarding some problems with Taxi2Gate's MMMX scenery and UTX.

I can confirm two things:
  1. The solution for stutters that had been already posted advising to reduce the traffic (I limited it even more then you did -  I want to fly and not to count cars on the ground)
  2. I saw as well a hill close to the airport (I think it wasn't you reporting it) that was floating only in combination with UTX. This was patched by the guys of T2G (it's called "UTX-CERRO-FIX") by flattening the respective area. By the way this could have been an indicator that the hill wasn't developed by using terrain features, but rather as an object (like buildings).

Axel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Proudfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 1:06pm
Axel,

I thought my post was clear. The problem with poor and stuttering performance is not due to T2Gs MMMX airport but the setting for roads for those of us who have Ultimate Terrain (TAC). Once that setting is made the airport is as smooth as all the other T2G ones. That's what worked for me. I suppose if you have a less powerful PC then the traffic might be a factor. But it wasn't for me.

The hill problem is fixed with a patch as you say.
Cheers,

Ray
3 miles east of EGCC.
phantomflyer View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantomflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 7:49am
Thank you Ray - you cleared up a problem for a lot of people. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Bill A
If it works don't try to fix it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Proudfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 8:43am
Thanks Bill. Big smile The originator (on the T2G forum) did me a big favour so it seemed only right I pass on that info.
Cheers,

Ray
3 miles east of EGCC.
phmcr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phmcr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 4:17pm
Ray, 5 years later, I am still very happy with your findings. It resolved my stutters at MMMX too!

Menno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Proudfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 5:07pm
Thanks Menmo. I also have to refer to it myself when reinstalling MMMX scenery. Just goes to show how useful it is to post the solution when it’s found.
Cheers,

Ray
3 miles east of EGCC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic