Print Page | Close Window

Coming Soon

Printed From: SimForums.com
Category: Flight One Partner Forums
Forum Name: Opus Software
Forum Description: Support for OpusFSX for Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D.
URL: https://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=43213
Printed Date: August-04-2020 at 2:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Coming Soon
Posted By: Opus Software
Subject: Coming Soon
Date Posted: October-08-2012 at 7:25am
Live Camera Views ...

The Camera Transition Speed will be adjustable for each individual camera view, the valid range can be set to either zero (instant) or any value ranging from 1 (fastest) to 50 (slowest).

A Disable TrackIR option is being added to camera view configuration and a Toggle TrackIR On/Off button will be provided to enable or disable the use of the TrackIR device whilst editing camera views.

The standard FSX Hat switch can now be used to pan the view with TrackIR when the TrackIR device is paused. The TIR raw data scanning frequency increased to about 80 times a second.

A DHM Rotorcraft option is being added to increase the level of the vibration effects when flying helicopters.

LC will allow the same joystick button or keyboard key to be assigned to multiple camera views. In such cases, repeated use of the joystick button or key input will cycle through the associated camera views.

We have also separated the In Flight 'low frequency' turbulent motion controls from the vibration controls providing separate slider controls for each.

The wind smoothing effects have been extended, and the fog and mist effects both now use 8 octas cover with half thickness for mist covered areas.

Regards
Stephen

Replies:
Posted By: gjharrall
Date Posted: October-08-2012 at 12:22pm
great news!

will the cycle camera option only apply to cameras that are created for the current active aircraft?

Posted By: gjharrall
Date Posted: October-08-2012 at 12:24pm
also very pleased that the vibration and turbulence sliders will be separated!

great again....

Date Posted: October-08-2012 at 12:32pm
The cycle will apply to the aircraft associated with the camera view, which may be a group or all aircraft according to what you have configured.

Regards
Cheryl

Date Posted: October-09-2012 at 5:46am
Coming Next details ammended ... currently testing Beta 2.25.0.

Stephen

Date Posted: October-09-2012 at 7:28am
Cirrus Cloud ...

We will allow you to specify a minimum and maximum altitude for the cirrus cloud layer, valid range from 18,000 ft to 50,000 ft. On program startup the LWE will use these settings to calculate an altitude between the configured min and max and set all cirrus accordingly.

Historic METAR Data ...

We have contacted the owners of the Navlost.eu website and requested access to their website for the purpose of downloading historic METAR data. I would expect all users wishing to use this facility will have to register themselves with this site.

Regards
Stephen

Posted By: Pierdail
Date Posted: October-10-2012 at 5:57am
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Hi Stephen,
Could you increase the transition time between two camera currently spend a maximum of 50 to 100 for example have a panoramic slower transition .

Thank you in advance.

Pierre

Date Posted: October-10-2012 at 6:02am
Previous 24 Hour METAR Data ...

We are now looking to download the METAR cycle data direct from the NOAA site based on a user specified Zulu hour (00 to 23). For example, for the previous 09:00 Zulu hourly period the METARs will be downloaded from,

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/cycles/09Z.TXT" rel="nofollow - http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/cycles/09Z.TXT

The software will download the relevent METAR cycle data, extract the latest relevent METAR reports and build the dynamic weather. The download and update must be requested manually via the Weather dialog.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: October-10-2012 at 6:03am
Hi Pierre

I will do it now and update the current beta. Don't download until I report back here.

Stephen

Date Posted: October-10-2012 at 6:18am
Hi Pierre

You can download Beta version 2.25.1 zip file now (as from 10:17 Zulu) with transition time adjustable from 0 to 100 as requested.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: October-10-2012 at 9:31am
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Thank you, Stephen the transition is flawless
Pierre

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 3:48am
Wind Smoothing and Stabilisation (combatting the FSX winds aloft bug) ...

I will be providing an option to minimise the weather smoothing going back to the earliest releases which were far more relaxed, but it all depends on what flying you do.

If you are flying at high level then you MUST take into account the FSX winds aloft bug. This WILL produce severe wind shifts if you allow the surface wind to change, or even allow certain changes to occur on in the surface conditions.

I will however provide an option for users to minimise the smoothing but the onus is on the user, you know about the FSX problem, so if you relax it then you must accept the consequences at higher altitudes. But for those that fly low level VFR then you can relax the smoothing and you should get accurate surface winds in all but the most severe cases.

I will also provide a Recovery option which will force a wind recovery no matter what when the aircraft descends below the Recovery altitde. You are most likely to get a wind shift when you do recover but if you set the Recovery altitude low enough (say 10000 feet) it shouldn't be too bad., you should have slowed to about 240 knots by then anyway, so the aircraft sim should cope with it.

At present the LWE will only recover the surface winds if the wind direction is within 30 degrees of the stabilised direction. I will add the above options in the next beta which should help both low level VFR and high level IFR flyers alike.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 4:03am
Future Wind Smoothing ...

I cannot go into details but in conjunction with our planned Weather Smoothing and Cloud Stabilisation upgrade we will be able to make the wind smoothing more dynamic and intelligent. Basically as you descend the LWE will relax the wind smoothing, without needing to download new METAR reports, it will simply adjust the wind smoothing so that by the time you are ready to listen to your destination's ATIS report, the reported wind should be back in agreement with the METARs.

This is not really a Coming Next, more like a Before You Ask type post. Smile

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 8:33am
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> < ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> < ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Hi Stephen,
Is it possible to add a command in the menu "Local Weather Report "which would artificially increase or decrease cloud cover , so get closer to the actual appearance generated, if the coverage , is not enough or too dense, due to soft limits of FSX.

Increase lower cloud coverage
decrease lower cloud coverage
Increase high cloud coverage
decrease high cloud coverage

Each click on menu line increase or decrease for 1 octa

Thank you.

Pierre

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 8:46am
Have you tried changing your cloud density ... But this toipic is really for Coming Next notifications.

The menu is limited to 10 lines so it cannot be used for this. Second I am only interested in real weather and do not want people altering the cloud coverage to suit there tastes. I haven't noticed anything strange in the broken cloud coverage, try using a GLOB METAR to check the differences and perhaps try using different cloud textures. I will investigate but I thought everyone was happy with the weather depiction.

The only thing I could possibly do is add another option to the Weather dialog to provide a fine (1 octa) alteration for few, scattered, and broken coverage so you can decide whether broken is depicted as 5, 6 or 7 octas. But I am not sure how it will work within FSX.

Stephen

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:54am
Forced Surface Wind Recovery ...

We will now be including a Max Allowed Wind Difference setting for you to adjust. The default setting will be 30 degrees, a setting of 0 almost disables the recovery, a setting of 180 degrees will always force a surface wind recovery. This setting will allow you to fine tune the recovery system.

I may also allow you to adjust the amount of wind smoothing by specifying the maximum allowed wind shift in degrees per 32km (or 20 miles). There will still be a Disable Winds Aloft Smoothing option which has to take into account other factors. The specified wind smoothing limit only applies when the disable option is set. Enabling the usual winds aloft smoothing will force the current restricted wind movements to be imposed with no control over them.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 11:01am
Historic METAR Data ...

We will soon release the first version including this option. The initial option will allow you to select and download METAR data direct from the NOAA historic database, which includes all METARs for each of the previous 24 hours, in Zulu time. Hence this option will be restricted to downloading METAR reports archived over the previous 24 hour period. Future versions will allow you to select other historic METAR sites.

Regards
Stephen

Posted By: Hangar
Date Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:50pm
just a quick word of caution here...move slowly when it comes to adding in lots of adjustable options that sound confusing (wind recovery? wind smoothing). Things like that should work on their own without options if you ask me...you're moving too fast maybe... try not to lose sight of what makes Opus different and better (one of these things is simplicity and no need to have to weed thru 15 different options and learn what they all do). It's a big reason why I dont bother with AS or REX (even though Ive been simming for more than 20 years). Just too many choices and too time consuming...the more choices and features the easier things tend to break too and cause other issues.

It's my opinion that  in some cases you may actually be better off deciding on your own how things should work and leave it at that.

Posted By: JetNoise
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 12:40am

big +1 for the previous poster.
Stephen, don't loose it, keep the UI as simple as necessary and everything else as realistic as possible.

A happy customer
Oliver

Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 2:47am
But no one setting will satisfy all systems, so what do I do?

All I can do is make the defaults suit most systems, but I can't just ignore those who are still having problems on their system.

What if I include 'Default Low VFR' and 'Default High IFR' buttons which will set the defaults for those flying VFR below 20,000 feet or those flying mostly IFR at high altitude.

Stephen

Posted By: FoolCryptic
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 3:26am
Morning Stephen,

If users have bought into the idea of 'beta testing' then i'm sure they'll find their sweet spots.
All the tools are there as it stands because it obviously works well for most...incredibly well.

You cannot possibly meet the needs of every FSX rig out there.

I agree with the above...revisit TrackIR some other time and let's get that weather nailed down.

Stephen

Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 3:41am
We are making a start now !

There will be a Relax Wind Smoothing option, ideal for low level (< 20,000ft) flyers, and a Max Wind Difference specified in degress for the surface wind Recovery decision, ideal for the high flyers.

As mentioned in future I may be able to provide a more dynamic option to the wind smoothing which adjusts itself as you descend.

Stephen

Posted By: Hangar34
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 5:24am
Quote What if I include 'Default Low VFR' and 'Default High IFR' buttons which will set the defaults for those flying VFR below 20,000 feet or those flying mostly IFR at high altitude.

I think that is a great idea, and a perfect solution for those who just want to run OpusFSX and fly in whatever altitude scenario they want. Pretty much what I had in mind when I suggested the 'Recommended Settings' sticky topic.

Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 8:09am
The next steps are virtually carved in stone now ...

Historic METAR data ...

Initially using the NOAA 24 hour cylcle data and loaded based on your chosen Zulu hour.

GRIB True Winds Aloft data ...

Yes its finally time. Beer

Regards
Stephen

Posted By: NaMcO
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Hangar Hangar wrote:

just a quick word of caution here...move slowly when it comes to adding in lots of adjustable options that sound confusing (wind recovery? wind smoothing). Things like that should work on their own without options if you ask me...you're moving too fast maybe...

I have to agree. I think the weather engine moved too fast and i'm back to 2.24 once again. I encountered too many things i cannot control or find the cause in 2.25/6/7 and just went back to "safety".

To me, or if you prefer in my case, 2.24 is just weather-perfect only lacking the random cirrus altitude setting and maybe some turbulence while in the clouds.

Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 8:49am
That doesn't make sense. 2.25 only changed the fog and mist effects to improve their appearance, 2.26 introduced variable cloud height for cirrus, 2.27 corrected a small problem in the LWE and reintroduced the transition/recovery altitudes (these options were never removed, just disabled by setting the TA to 60000 in the software), and finally 2.28 introduces options to improve low level flying and give users control over the recovery conditions.

In effect, if you fix the cirrus at 42000 feet, set the TA to 60000 feet (the default) and do not relax the wind smoothing then its the same LWE as in 2.24. Only the options have changed, not the engine.

Stephen

Posted By: NaMcO
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 8:59am
I won't be updating about this in this thread anymore as this isn't the place, but i noticed 2.28 beta is out, and once i finish this flight i'm going to give it a go, hoping i can eat my words.

Seriously, this weather engine is something, i'm just afraid you guys ruin it LOL

I'll report about my problems (if any) in the respective thread and will also stop posting about this on AVSIM in order to keep things tight and focused in one place so no info is lost.

Once again, thank you for your GREAT support and for writing OpusFSX.

Posted By: Hangar
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

What if I include 'Default Low VFR' and 'Default High IFR' buttons which will set the defaults for those flying VFR below 20,000 feet or those flying mostly IFR at high altitude. 
Stephen

Yea, if you must make more options then this is a better idea...good thinking.

A really good idea (when it comes to all the options) is to have mouseover balloons that explains what the option does for the average user (in layman's terms, how itll effect the flight) and what the recommended setting is.

Posted By: jordanal
Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Hangar Hangar wrote:

A really good idea (when it comes to all the options) is to have mouseover balloons that explains what the option does for the average user (in layman's terms, how itll effect the flight) and what the recommended setting is.

A most-excellent suggestion, Hanger!  +1

-------------
Al Jordan

FSX Rig: i7 2600k, 4.8GHz / Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Mushkin DDR3-1600 8GB / EVGA GTX 570 GPU / TX850 PSU / Graphite 600T Case

Date Posted: October-14-2012 at 11:01am
I have a Help button down on the list, how about that, but mouse over also works

Stephen

Date Posted: October-19-2012 at 7:56am
In no particular order,

Historic METAR data ...

Initially using the NOAA 24 hour cylcle data and loaded based on your sims current Zulu hour.

Weather Smoothing ...

Automatically smoothing out the weather transitions between METAR updates and reducing the weather data burden on the simulator.

True Winds/Temps Aloft data ...

Using the GRIB data from the NOAA site.

Panning Control Keys ...

Additional Live Camera option to pan the view around using the four arrow keys + two others.

Choice of Weather Servers ...

Allows you to specify your primary choice of weather server, initially a choice of either the NOAA server (default), the Aviation Digital Data Service (ADDS) server, or Vatsim. You will also be able tospecify an optional secondary server choice (for any missing METARS).

New METAR Station List ...

A revised up to date list of METAR sites.

Regards
Stephen

Posted By: bblackkbirdd
Date Posted: October-19-2012 at 2:06pm

Hi Gents - the Ol' Blackbird is here - just for a moment.  Don't know if this is the right place to ask this - if not - feel free to move / delete.  My question: (I feel like an idiot asking):  what is "Relax Wind Smoothing"?  My confusion:

I understand what it means to apply wind smoothing.  That is a constraint, (sort of).  Now, if I RELAX that constraint, does that mean I am now allowing  more wind smoothing, or less of it?  Sorry if this should be obvious, but I am struggling with that one title.  Duh!!!

Stephen, I think the idea of Default low VFR and Default high IFR settings is a good starting point.  I also agree with another user who said something to the effect that the real "beta" users will find their own settings by experimentation.  Myself, I like a default to start from (and to be able to return to, should I mess up too badly).  LOL

Thank you!

All best,  Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

Still the BEST new product for FSX!!!!!!!!!  Thanks, Stephen, et al.

-------------
Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

Date Posted: October-20-2012 at 5:37am
Hi
Relaxing wind smoothing means having less smoothing and more realistic winds.

Regards
Cheryl

Date Posted: October-20-2012 at 7:48am
Hi, Cheryl.... thank you!  That's what I kind of thought, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks very much!

All best,

-------------
Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

Posted By: SkipperMac
Date Posted: October-20-2012 at 8:42am

Hi
Relaxing wind smoothing means having less smoothing and more realistic winds.

Regards
Cheryl

Would it not be more logical for the opposite of this, ie, default to the most realistic winds and have to tick the box for less realistic, smoothed winds if the FSX bug was proving to be a problem? Perhaps that would be less confusing, and more in line with the Opus philosophy of the most realistic weather in FSX?

Just a thought...

-------------
SkipperMac aka Norman
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD

Date Posted: October-20-2012 at 8:47am
That's a good idea, we have ended up as we are because we have been imposing smoothing to stop those wind shifts and ended up with the smoothing on as default. I will consider reversing the logic of the option in the very near future.

Stephen

Date Posted: October-20-2012 at 9:24am
I like SkipperMac's idea, Stephen.  
I was about to suggest something like "more smoothing, less smoothing"....... or......."no smoothing" and "smoothing".  Didn't know if it is possible to execute wind smoothing in increasing or decreasing steps (for those folks who really love to "tinker" with Opus).

Myself, I like it simple and lean.

This is the most fun I've had with FSX in years!!!!  Keep going!!!! LOL

All best,

-------------
Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

Date Posted: October-20-2012 at 10:00am
Hi Ray

I will reverse the logic for now. When we start the Weather Smoothing I hope to be able to implement some sort of automatic option, it depends how it turns out. But the default should be disabled for low level VFR and no smoothing or messing with reality. I think the fun will really start with the Weather Smoothing, won't really know until we try it all out and see where it takes us. But I agree it should be kept as simple as possible with options for those who want to tinker, you're right though it will be fun.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:25pm
Excellent news

I'll not get to try it out for a bit as I'm spending next week bobbing around somewhere between Pembrokeshire and Cornwall. Flying will resume next weekend hopefully.

-------------
SkipperMac aka Norman
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD

Date Posted: October-21-2012 at 6:41am
I haven't reversed the logic, the Weather dialog options looked a bit confusing, but I have turned the Relax Surface Wind Smoothing option ON as the default.

Stephen

Posted By: NickN
Date Posted: October-21-2012 at 6:49am
Why not call it what it is Stephen..   I know Relax Surface Wind Smoothing reads right to you and others who clearly understand its function but instead of that term, why not call it: Realistic Live Weather Surface Wind    or something of that nature.

Unticked it would apply the algorithms for wind smoothing

-------------

Date Posted: October-21-2012 at 6:59am
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

Why not call it what it is Stephen..†† I know Relax Surface Wind Smoothing reads right to you and others who clearly understand its function but instead of that term, why not call it:†Realistic Live Weather†Surface Wind    or something of that nature.
Unticked it would apply the†algorithms for wind smoothing

That's counter-intuitive to me. Opus is all about the most accurate real weather in FSX - METAR is god - so we shouldn't have to tick something to make it MORE real than when it's unticked! If one's system can't deal with the region transitions, then you could have a "smooth things please" box to tick!

Ok, coffee's finished, there's a boat and a crew waiting for me in Neyland!

-------------
SkipperMac aka Norman

Date Posted: October-21-2012 at 7:11am
Of course if you do relax the surface wind smoothing then its up to you to set the max change limits, set them too tight and the LWE will not be able to keep up with the METARs. I think 15 + 15 copes with most reasonable conditions and is able to ferret out any wierd AUTO reports. But if you only fly low level you should just put something like 30 knots and 180 degrees.

It can all be reconsidered once we start the Weather Smoothing development and associated betas. All the weather options can be looked at, with the aim of saying 'everything is ready for RW conditions and flying but change this if you are flying high level etc.'.

I might consider getting rid of all the options and just having a checkbox and button to enable the RW restrictions. The button would display a separate dialog so you could set the high level restrictions you want to combat the FSX winds aloft bug etc. By default the checkbox would be unticked so everything would be set ready to give max reality. Will have to see how the Weather Smoothing upgrade goes.

Regards
Stephen

Posted By: NickN
Date Posted: October-21-2012 at 10:57am
It was just a suggestion and I agree that the primary goal of the product remain true to the weather met's and what ever changes that is clearly named in such a way the user understands they are changing the application from real world winds to controlled winds.

-------------

Date Posted: October-21-2012 at 11:09am
That's what we will probably end up doing as soon as we make a start on the Weather Smoothing. It will work with very few options to provide RW weather, no holds barred, with options for those who want to set the LWE up for high flying (true winds aloft, surface wind smoothing and stabilisation etc.).

Stephen

Posted By: JetNoise
Date Posted: October-23-2012 at 2:52am
Hi Stephen

i like that Thumbs Up

Happy Customer
Oliver

Date Posted: October-24-2012 at 12:27pm
In no particular order,
Historic METAR data ...
Initially using the NOAA 24 hour cylcle data and loaded based on your sims current Zulu hour.
Weather Smoothing ...
Automatically smoothing out the weather transitions between METAR updates and reducing the weather data burden on the simulator.
Panning Control Keys ...
Additional Live Camera option to pan the view around using the four arrow keys + two others.
Allows you to specify your primary weather data source, NOAA by default with options for Vatsim initially, and others to follow. We are also considering using a secondardy server to retrieve missing METAR data when less than a certain amount are available from NOAA.
Regards
Stephen

Posted By: skypara
Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 1:16am
This list sums up basically all little things, that I thought need to be worked on, before the Opus FSX becomes the ULTIMATE weather engine... I'm so glad I purchased this software, you guys deserve every penny!

Posted By: Adamski_NZ
Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 3:54am
I wouldn't say the things on that list are "little" :lol: ... they're pretty MEGA features for me!!

One thing I'd like to add:

The ability to set (and pan) *static* world view cameras - rather like a "Tower" view - that's fixed to a geographical location, rather than attached to the aircraft.

Or is this already possible? I understand there's some low-level FSX limitation with this <??> ... but you guys are so clever, I'll bet you can get around it!

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 4:01am
We will be adding an option for World Views when we do the Live Camera Control (see first page of the Live Camera topic).

You can also add DHM/DAM for client systems on the above list, but that's another thing that is down on our list but not immediate, just like the Live Traffic option.

Stephen

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 5:56am

We will be adding an option for World Views when we do the Live Camera Control (see first page of the Live Camera topic).

Stephen - I'm trying not to clutter up this topic, but I looked long and hard through all pages of the "Live Camera" topic and couldn't find a mention of world cameras. Only VC or external (aircraft) views. Am I going senile and/or blind? LOL

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 6:04am
Live Camera Control is mentioned in the Live Camera topic towards the bottom of the first page.

World Views

If desired we can upgrade the Live Camera interface to support World Views. We have yet to decide on the actual implementation details, but our initial idea is to include a World View checkbox below the current Windowed View option.

To create a world view you would simply position the aircraft at an airport within FSX, then use the Camera dialog to create a World View camera. The camera would be positioned exactly the same as for normal external aircraft views, except in this case when you save the view the software will calculate precise lat/long/altitude coordinates for the camera and create a world view 'custom' camera. Just like Windowed Views, World Views will require configuration changes to the FSX cfg files, so you would have to force FSX to reload its cfg before using the new custom world view.

Stephen

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 8:36am

World Views will require configuration changes to the FSX cfg files, so you would have to force FSX to reload its cfg before using the new custom world view.

Thanks, Stephen - I seem to remember that it wasn't an easy thing to do. I didn't realise it meant having to rewrite/reload cfg info. I suppose that means that it will never be possible to pan/slew it [live] like any of the aircraft cameras. It also explainds why it's such a strange procedure in EZDOK (I tried once then gave up!).

Is there a way it could be treated as a "pseudo" multiplayer aircraft? Clutching at straws, really!

Date Posted: October-25-2012 at 12:41pm
In no particular order,

Historic METAR data ...

Initially using the NOAA 24 hour cycle data and loaded based on your sims current Zulu hour.

Weather Smoothing ...

Panning Control Keys ...

Allows you to specify your primary weather data source, NOAA by default with options for Vatsim initially, and others to follow. We are also considering using a secondardy server to retrieve missing METAR data when less than a certain amount are available from NOAA.

Progress ...

Work is progressing well on items 1, 3, and 5 above. After posting the 2.29 release tomorrow we will start another round of betas for the above, development expected to continue over next three to four weeks.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 6:51am
Local Winds Aloft ...

I will soon be adding a Local Winds Aloft report window, similar in operation to the current Local Weather Report window. The new window will report the winds aloft between FL200 through to FL400, every 4000 feet.

The current Simulated winds aloft will also be improved, using the prevailing upper wind directions. The simulated upper winds are fixed so you could use the above window to enter data into your FMC.

Stephen

Posted By: dts
Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 7:07am
At present this is what my flightplan has with the upper winds, along my route, so how close will this be with Opus and how will it simulate the change in winds throughout the flight, as this is ideal for fuel planning and arrival times, as the winds do dictate alot of things these days with the NGX especially

STG                 (CLIMB)             LOTEE               GASNO
FL280  307/003 -42  FL370  270/012 -54  FL420  310/006 -56  FL420  308/004 -57
FL260  315/003 -37  FL300  235/007 -47  FL400  318/005 -55  FL400  331/003 -57
FL240  323/003 -31  FL220  260/003 -26  FL380  328/004 -55  FL380  029/002 -57
FL220  345/003 -26  FL150  085/002 -11  FL360  338/002 -56  FL360  093/003 -57
FL200  021/002 -22  FL070  087/004  +4  FL340  072/001 -56  FL340  112/005 -56

ERIGA               BAKUL               REN                 KOKOS
FL420  304/003 -58  FL430  275/006 -58  FL430  294/007 -58  FL420  299/008 -59
FL400  003/001 -58  FL410  257/003 -58  FL410  291/004 -58  FL400  293/007 -59
FL380  072/003 -58  FL390  186/002 -58  FL390  279/002 -59  FL380  284/005 -59
FL360  086/005 -57  FL370  141/003 -58  FL370  250/001 -58  FL360  275/006 -57
FL340  093/007 -56  FL350  120/004 -56  FL350  163/001 -56  FL340  267/006 -55

: DIKRO               AVANT               (DESCEND)
FL420  294/009 -59  FL270  268/016 -39  FL220  274/012 -27  
FL400  285/007 -59  FL250  273/014 -34  FL180  294/009 -18  
FL380  273/007 -59  FL230  280/013 -29  FL130  315/004  -9  
FL360  263/008 -57  FL210  289/012 -25  FL090  055/004  -1  
FL340  256/010 -55  FL190  301/011 -20   4000  071/017  +5

(FPL-RYR5QG-IS
-B738/M-ZSRWYP/S
-LPPR0530
-N0432F240 PG/N0432F240 TURO3S TURON A5 STG/N0455F380 UN741 MOKOR
UN867 OLEBA/N0451F390 UN867 REN/N0450F380 UN867 KOKOS UN863
KOTEM/N0423F230 N863 AVANT DCT
-EGSS0150 EGGW

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 7:17am
Again, you must wait for the true winds upgrade, I am talking about simulated winds above, these are static, I am not referring to the forcasted GRIB upper winds.
But the new window will allow you to see what the current winds are no matter how they are generated. It is not a flight plan report though. OpusFSX is not a flight planner just a weather engine. It is really up to your flight planner to give you the wind forcast and if its any good it will use GRIB data. If it doesn't do this then you need a better one there are planty available.

But all winds aloft are just forcasts, so you may have to adjust just like they do in the RW.

Stephen

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 7:23am
Will FSBuild2 be able to import Aloft Data from the Opus GRIB system - will there be any cooperation between the developers to make this happen?  FSBuild currently reads a text file generated by another Weather program.

-------------
Al Jordan

FSX Rig: i7 2600k, 4.8GHz / Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Mushkin DDR3-1600 8GB / EVGA GTX 570 GPU / TX850 PSU / Graphite 600T Case

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 7:47am
NO, there are dozens of flight planners. I repeat if the flight planner is any good then it will get its own data. Anyhow the LWE downloads the data it needs to build the weather map, not fill out all the data along your chosen route ... the flight planner knows that info so it should get the data for you.

Stephen

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 8:01am
Ah I see, so cooperative subsystems between programs that have been in-place for years that are now suddenly broke by switching weather engines will never be fixed.  Not quite the answer I was looking for.  The LWE is very nice, but it does me no good if I can't properly plan an end-to-end route.

-------------
Al Jordan

Posted By: aentwis
Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 8:06am
What are you looking for Al? A programme that downloads all the data then makes it available to whichever flightplanner you wish to employ? How many separate flightplanners are there currently? That is quite a number of interfaces that would be required to programme, different formats and so on...

Perhaps you should ask if FSB's developer should contact Opus?

How does FSB work with the weather engine you have been using? I do not have FSB, so have no idea how it interfaces...

A

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 8:08am
See my numerous posts on the LW Assistant. Also please understand the LWE builds the weather for its weather map and not along your entire route, so how would this data be of use to your flight planner if your route extends beyond the current weather region. It is quite simply not feasible, plus look at the number of different planners out there. Are you telling me none of them are capable of giving you accurate weather !

I cannot belive that, but if true you had best wait for the LWA and let us do a proper job.

Just in case you haven't read my previous posts, we will be glad to include some sort of weather report for flight planning purposes when we develop the LW Assistant. This report should provide you with all the information you need. But I am still hoping that the new flight planners available soon will be able to do this themselves. We still do not have any intention of developing a flight planner but if necessary will include a flight plan report facility.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 8:46am
Agree totally with aentwis post ...

We have even tried emailing a few companies and people, but nobody replied! But again, considering there are literally dozens of FPs out there I think the LW Assistant with a possible FP report facility is all that is needed. I am just hoping one of them will step up to the mark and do a thorough job of it, after all you only need the nearest METAR, TAF, wind and temps.

Regards
Stephen Smile

Posted By: feebee
Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 4:26pm
If anything I hope it will be PFPX (Professional Flight Planner X) that will have a link to the GRIB data.

Eventually, if all goes to plan (unintended pun there!), the majority of hardcore simmers could be using PFPX in conjunction with OPUS for a complete planner, weather and camera solution. Sounds cool when I think about that Wink

-------------
Graham

Posted By: dts
Date Posted: October-26-2012 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by feebee feebee wrote:

If anything I hope it will be PFPX (Professional Flight Planner X) that will have a link to the GRIB data.

with response to you statement and  my previous post (see below and read between the lines), Wink  so what i posted is available and what i would like is opus to mimic the upper winds enroute, the weather it depicts so far is good for VFR, but it is no use as the upper winds are not accurate enough to do a flight at present online especially when others are using REX or AS, and fuel calculations take into account the wind etc.

I am in no rush if the product is still being developed so at the end we get an application that actually works.

Originally posted by dts dts wrote:

STG                 (CLIMB)             LOTEE               GASNO
FL280  307/003 -42  FL370  270/012 -54  FL420  310/006 -56  FL420  308/004 -57
FL260  315/003 -37  FL300  235/007 -47  FL400  318/005 -55  FL400  331/003 -57
FL240  323/003 -31  FL220  260/003 -26  FL380  328/004 -55  FL380  029/002 -57
FL220  345/003 -26  FL150  085/002 -11  FL360  338/002 -56  FL360  093/003 -57
FL200  021/002 -22  FL070  087/004  +4  FL340  072/001 -56  FL340  112/005 -56

ERIGA               BAKUL               REN                 KOKOS
FL420  304/003 -58  FL430  275/006 -58  FL430  294/007 -58  FL420  299/008 -59
FL400  003/001 -58  FL410  257/003 -58  FL410  291/004 -58  FL400  293/007 -59
FL380  072/003 -58  FL390  186/002 -58  FL390  279/002 -59  FL380  284/005 -59
FL360  086/005 -57  FL370  141/003 -58  FL370  250/001 -58  FL360  275/006 -57
FL340  093/007 -56  FL350  120/004 -56  FL350  163/001 -56  FL340  267/006 -55

: DIKRO               AVANT               (DESCEND)
FL420  294/009 -59  FL270  268/016 -39  FL220  274/012 -27  
FL400  285/007 -59  FL250  273/014 -34  FL180  294/009 -18  
FL380  273/007 -59  FL230  280/013 -29  FL130  315/004  -9  
FL360  263/008 -57  FL210  289/012 -25  FL090  055/004  -1  
FL340  256/010 -55  FL190  301/011 -20   4000  071/017  +5

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:09am
IMO REX's upper winds are certainly not adequate.
Just read these posts and you wil KNOW we are in the process of implementing the GRIB upper wind and temperature forecasts. All this data is just forecasts though ... they are not true !

The LWE will give you two options soon ...

1. Use simulated upper winds based on the prevailing upper winds for your area. These will be static for your flight so it will be very easy for you to plan your trip by just looking at the upper wind report window. Plus, they will be available without delay .. instant flying, no fuss and realistic upper winds.

2. Use the GRIB data to provide a forecast of the current upper winds in order to build the weather map. But ... a) the weather map may not cover your entire journey it is just for the LWE, and b) you will have to use a FP that gives you GRIB forecast data so that you (your FP and the LWE) are singing from the same song sheet. Finally, c) if needed we may include a flight plan report facility in the LW Assistant for you ... but this should be a the responsibility of your planner. Final cost ... speed, you will have to wait for all the GRIB data to be downloaded and analysed !

In my opinion it is quite straight forward.

Our LWE will continue to improve and provide options to make it as real as you can possibly get within FSX.

Any FP package should have the same aims, to provide you with the most realistic flight planning FSX will allow. But if yours doesn't we may provide a flight plan route check for you and provide you with all the data you need.

Regards
Stephen

Posted By: mhlarsen
Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:37am
Originally posted by feebee feebee wrote:

Eventually, if all goes to plan (unintended pun there!), the majority of hardcore simmers could be using PFPX in conjunction with OPUS for a complete planner, weather and camera solution. Sounds cool when I think about that Wink

Now we are talking Cool

This would really be an ideal situation and I have posted on the Topcat forum asking about GRIB data in their new planner.

-------------
Michael

Win 10 64, i7 6700k, GTX1070, 16 Gb DDR5 RAM, LG 48", P3D v4

Posted By: mhlarsen
Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 5:15am
About GRIB data and PFPX Flight Planner, I just had this answer from Pierre on the Topcat Forum:

The answer is yes, PFPX wind aloft are from GRIB data from ground FL50 to FL700

-------------
Michael

Win 10 64, i7 6700k, GTX1070, 16 Gb DDR5 RAM, LG 48", P3D v4

Date Posted: October-27-2012 at 5:34am
Sounds great, so I would say you have a perfect combo almost ready.

Stephen

Date Posted: November-01-2012 at 3:35am
Camera View Order ...

We will be implementing the upgrade to manually rearrange the order of the camera views soon, just as soon as I have time to implement it. I am going to stop the auto ordering and place up and down arrow keys at the side of the Select Camera View dialog, you will then be able to highlight a camera view and use the arrow keys to move it up or down in the list.
Stephen

Date Posted: November-01-2012 at 5:21am
That will be a great addition (once I get FSX working again lol)

Many thanks for your continual development Stephen.

-------------
SkipperMac aka Norman

Posted By: fernmil
Date Posted: November-01-2012 at 6:49am
Thanks Stephen, it also answers my question
salu2
Joop / GCLP

-------------
Fernmil / GCLP

Windows7x64UltSP1|RAM8GB-DDR3 |I7-3770K@3.5GHz OC4.5GHZ |Asus P8Z77-V LX|GeForce GTX660 |Prepar3D |FSXsp1+2 | SaitekX52PRO Throttle, Joystick and Rudder pedals

Date Posted: November-03-2012 at 4:58am
In addition to the above mentioned upgrades, including the panning keys option, and before continuing with the weather server and GRIB winds aloft upgrades we will be producing a beta that reduces to an absolute minimum the demands on SimConnect for single PC systems. We will do this fairly quickly just in case it is having an adverse effect in some people's system. I don't think it is but it won't do any harm.

Also in addition to the above Camera Ordering upgrade we will be adding Import and Export options for selected groups of camera definitions. This feature will allow separate camera definition files to be prepared for different aircraft types and even swapped amongst users.

In implementing the new weather server upgrade will also be looking to simplify the Weather dialog somewhat, introducing a Download Options button with a separate dialog for the options. This is the first step in simplifying everything with perhaps a single Defaults button on the main dialog to set everything to the recommended settings for the best low level VFR flying. Users can then tweak the Download and Smoothing options via separate dialogs to specify GRIB forecast data, strengthen the wind smoothing, enable wind stabilisation etc. this way the options will be there for people to tweak if they want but most users can simply use the defaults and go flying. The Download dialog will also include an option and parameters to control the 'Disable Weather Update on Final Aaproach'.

The only other options we are considering at present include introducing options to assign buttons or keys to the Addon menu functions. I think that's about it for now.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: November-04-2012 at 6:36am
Auto Recovery If Weather Download Locks Up ...

We are adding a monitoring function to detect when the weather download thread locks up due to an interrupted or failed web request. The monitor will abort the download thread and reset the LWE ready to perform another weather download.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: November-04-2012 at 11:24pm
Fully Automatic Wind Smoothing and Surface Wind Recovery ...

This simple option will fully automate all your wind smoothing as you climb and fully recover the true surface winds as you descend. I will make it a very simple configuration option so that you can just select the severuty and go fly.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: November-06-2012 at 3:37am
Current Update ...

Hi All

We've been doing a great deal of testing to try and get to grips with these wind shifts. We have now identified three distinct wind calculation errors within FSX, so when we refer to the FSX winds aloft bug we really mean bugs.

This has clarified a few things and made us realise no amount of tweaking or user options will be able to both eradicate the problem and still give you anything resembling true surface winds when you land. We have therefore come to the conclusion that it is time for simplification. and that is what we are working on now.

The normal 'Lower' Wind Smoothing will still be used (default 15 + 15) for normal operation, that should prevent problems for people flying low and slow and still give a very good chance of keeping to the true surface winds when you land.

A new 'Upper' Wind Stabilisation option will be provided in the form of a simple checkbox, a configurable Recovery Altitude (RA, default 19000 feet) setting, and a Max Allowed Wind Deviation (default 15 degrees) setting. These options will be for high and fast jet and airliner flyers. By high I mean above 19000 feet.

We are now concentrating on the recovery process in an attempt to maximise the chance of recovering the surface winds when you descend below the RA. The recovery will be based on a calculated safe surface wind deviation in addition to the user's configured Max Allowed Wind Deviation. If either test passes the LWE will attempt to recover the surface winds. After recovery the normal 'Lower' Wind Smoothing will be applied throughout your descent.

These changes and checks are going to take a little time so please be patient. Each test has to be conducted at three or four different locations around the globe which all takes time.

In the meantime, if you are experiencing wind shifts then please try un-ticking the current 'Relax Surface Wind Smoothing' option, and if that fails, just set your TA and RA to something reasonably low like 15000 and 13000, or even 0.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: November-06-2012 at 4:10am
Destination ICAO and Automatic Weather Update ...

We are adding the ability to specify your destination airport's ICAO code in the Weather dialog. Once specified, the LWE will automatically perform a weather update when you are within 40nm (64km) of your destination.

This upgrade should allow you to set the weather update frequency and distance to something higher, like every 60 minutes or 80km, knowing that as soon as you approach your destination you will get a weather update. Also by the time you are in range of the ATIS, typically between 30nm and 35nm, depending on whether you are searching Nearest Airports or have tuned your COM set, then you will know the ATIS is giving the current weather.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: November-06-2012 at 8:00am

Destination ICAO and Automatic Weather Update ...

We are adding the ability to specify your destination airport's ICAO code in the Weather dialog. Once specified, the LWE will automatically perform a weather update when you are within 40nm (64km) of your destination.

This upgrade should allow you to set the weather update frequency and disstance to something higher, like every 60 minutes or 80km, knowing that as soon as you approach your destination you will get a weather update. Also by the time you are in range of the ATIS, typically between 30nm and 35nm, depending on whether you are searching Nearest Airports or have tuned your COM set, then you will know the ATIS is giving the current weather.

Regards
Stephen

The ancient problem with this (switching from global to station based weather), is AI and Radar Contact need much more time to react to the new station-based destination weather.  40nm isn't gonna cut it.  You need  80 to 128nm on approach to allow AI enough time to see and react to the new station-based weather input.  Radar Contact in turn reads the AI approaches and offers what it thinks is the active approach route (near or far-side).  Otherwise, with only 40nm to destination, you wind-up head-on into AI on final, completely ruining the scene.

-------------
Al Jordan

Date Posted: November-06-2012 at 8:17am
We will make the distance configurable, that would be the best solution.

Work is progressing well, we are conducting tests on the new version 2.40, testing the different waether server options, testing the wind stabilisation and surface wind recovery for the high and fast flyers, and we have done some prep work for the Bump Aircraft DHM option.

Regards
Stephen

Posted By: Fede
Date Posted: November-06-2012 at 3:31pm
That all sounds good Stephen. In fact RC was giving me strange ATIS reports for destination. But that's the same old problem (I had the same error with ASE sometimes). I'll surely be enjoying the aircraft bump option Smile

Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Fede

Date Posted: November-07-2012 at 11:51am
Update...

We have implemented the configurable distance for the new destination ICAO auto weather update. The LWE also gives precedence to your destination METAR if there are multiple met stations in the same weather cell. Testing still progressing well with 2.40, also we have been playing around with the Bump Aircraft effects which I can now confirm bump all aircraft even the PMDG 737NGX. Both the Vatsim and IVAO server options are working well in place of NOAA as well, along with the new options to use Vatsim to fill in missing METARs and enable/disable the weather update on final approach.

Regards
Stephen

Posted By: Jean-PaulM
Date Posted: November-08-2012 at 9:37am
Fantastic,

Looking forward to 2.40. I hope you will find a way to implement the "bump aircraft" option independantly from DHM so that Track-IR users who still use EZCA can enjoy it as well.
Fingers crossed   Smile

Regards
Jean-Paul

Date Posted: November-08-2012 at 10:43am
Unfortunately it is all tied in with the DHM effects which are associated with Live Camera views. The Bump Aircraft effects are driven using the same accelerometer data and controlled (supervised) by the LWE.

Regards
Stephen

P.S. We have also been testing the historic download option today and can confirm this feature will be included in beta 2.40.

Date Posted: November-08-2012 at 11:20am
Would it work by disabling TIR in Opus, DHM on, all "head" camera effects off and Bump aircraft on so that EZCA and Opus don't fight each other ? 

Regards
JP

Date Posted: November-08-2012 at 11:46am
Difficult to say for sure, it relies on the DHM data being processed which is only done when the DHM thread is active.

We have now sent an email to Natural Point explaining the problems some people have experienced with TrackIR using the SDK supplied. Some of those experiencing problems have even tried running the FSXTRACKIR program without OpusFSX server program and they still experienced some jitters. In such circumstances all the TIR interface is doing is relaying the TIR data directly into FSX. I don't know if anyone has tried adjusting some of the Camera light filter threshold and IR brightness parameters. Anyway we will se what NP have to say.

Stephen

Date Posted: November-08-2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Jean-PaulM Jean-PaulM wrote:

Would it work by disabling TIR in Opus, DHM on, all "head" camera effects off and Bump aircraft on so that EZCA and Opus don't fight each other ? 

Regards
JP
I'm not sure I want to see the developers spending time (wasting time?) trying to get another camera program to work with OPUS!

-------------
SkipperMac aka Norman

Posted By: birdmanmike
Date Posted: November-08-2012 at 2:59pm
"I'm not sure I want to see the developers spending time (wasting time?) trying to get another camera program to work with OPUS!"

Agreed - one of the reasons I got Opus was the good camera stuff and it working with P3d right off as well as the WX.  It allowed me to dump  a problem . . . not that it was so bad but Opus is easier and better

Date Posted: November-08-2012 at 3:40pm
Norman, I'm not asking Opus to work with another camera program, I'm just asking Track-Ir to work with Opus. I'd love to dump EZCA as I prefer Opus DHM. Unfortunately, one day it works, the next day I get stutters so until the issue is solved for me and for others, the only thing I request, as long it not to complicated for Stephen and Cheryl, is to have some form of turbulence in flight just as those provided by other weather engines.

Whether it's a waste of time or not, that's up to Stephen and Cheryl to decide. 

Jean-Paul 

Posted By: mavrocket
Date Posted: November-08-2012 at 3:49pm
Jean-Paul,

If I could maybe provide some help, I'd like to try. I too had problems with the stuttering and jumping using DHM or not in P3D but have found a fix to mine. I'm at work, so please excuse any references that aren't verbatim.

1. I initially started using the v5 software from NP, but then switched to v4, this seemed to help.

2. In the TrackIR profile settings, I copied the initial "Flight" profile and added a null zone to all axes of movement.

3. In the Opus configuration window, I set the TrackIR update speed to 20ms, and the next setting below (can't remember off the top of my head what it is) to 0.50 and the XYZ setting to 0.75.

With those settings and the setup, I now do not experience any TrackIR stuttering or jumping, even when my FPS dips way down into ~10 FPS range.

Since I am using P3D, I have completely dumped EZCA by the wayside and use Opus exclusively for camera control and DHM effects (which I think are fantastic compared to EZCA's jerky shakes).

Date Posted: November-08-2012 at 4:00pm
Thanks Mavrocket for your help. I'll try your settings ASAP once I'm up an running again. (in the middle of a full re-install and waiting for a 670 GTX to arrive any day now :-)

Regards
Jean-Paul

Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 4:30am
We have had a reply from Natural Point who suggests if you are getting stutters, especially different fom one day to the next, then you should try adjust the Camera settings in the TrackIR, changing the Light Filter Threshold, IR Brightness, set Video Processing Mode to Precision with 100% precision mode smoothing etc.

NP said the most likely cause is light interference. You could even set it up by running FSX, TrackIR, and FSXTRACKIR without the OpusFSX server program.

Regards
Stephen

Posted By: J van E
Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 4:57am

NP said the most likely cause is light interference.
I think NP is taking the easy way on this... Wink The simple fact is that people who have problems with TrackIR and OpusFSX do not have any problems at all with TrackIR and other programs or addons. So... that eliminates light interference as being the main problem. Wink

BTW Apart from odd movement effects and large jumps in graphics I also switched back to EZCA (for now, that is) because the field of view I can cover with TrackIR and OpusFSX is smaller then with (for instance) EZCA or simply TrackIR alone. With this I mean that when I only use TrackIR or EZCA and TrackIR I can look out of the window and straight behind me, so 180 degrees back. With OpusFSX TrackIR stops when I am looking at an angle of something like 135 degrees, probably even less, so the freedom of looking around is limited. (But maybe I missed some setting there, haha!)

Mind you: all this is totally NOT a problem for me because I bought OpusFSX for the weather engine and I couldn't be more happier with OpusFSX then I am now. Honest. I just can't get over how happy I am with the beautiful 'sky scenery' OpusFSX gives me! (This morning I made up the term 'Sky scenery' which seems to fit the bill perfectly. Wink) The cams are just a bonus for me. Still, the cams ARE part of OpusFSX as it is advertised so I can understand you and everyone else wanting to get this working perfectly. Wink

Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 5:31am
You cannot compare Opus with EZCA. EZCA does NOT have DHM to take into account which needs 6ms updates, it also eats up about 3 to 6 FPS which we dont. TIR also works perfectly well on the majority of systems. It works 100% on all our systems for instance. The EZCA wobbles can be processed at a much slower frequency. NP are the experts here, after all it is their product and their SDK, although there may be many other factors involved.

I may prepare another interface program in the future if there is no resolution to this problem, this one based on timer loops rather that multi-threading. Personally I could not do without DHM, but if your systems are stuttering then perhaps the DHM cannot be rendered smoothly as well. But at the moment there are much more important updates to be working on.

Stephen

Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 5:40am
Interesting comment JP. If it works one day and not the next perhaps that indicates a relationship to FSX performance.

Cheryl

Posted By: Hangar34
Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 5:46am
If someone wants to send me their TrackIR, I'll be more than happy to test it thoroughly :)

Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 6:06am
Originally posted by mavrocket mavrocket wrote:

I now do not experience any TrackIR stuttering or jumping, even when my FPS dips way down into ~10 FPS range.

Hi Mavrocket,

Can you confirm what version of TIR hardware you have 4 or 5?

Thanks
Cheryl

Posted By: fiftysix
Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 6:11am

Very interesting thread.

I was having a few issues and stutters with trackir too. I found by adjusting my trackir settings: speed = 0.5 and smoothness = 50, this has made it much more smoother and hardly any stutters at all.

Iím very happy with Opus and cannot be without the DHM now, itís become a necessity for me since experiencing it, going back to default cameras sucks

Smile

Posted By: mavrocket
Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 10:44am

Hi Mavrocket,

Thanks
Cheryl

Cheryl,

I have version 4 and I'm using the latest v4 beta drivers that NP posted a couple of weeks ago.

I should also note that I had to decrease the light sensitivity on my TrackIR due to a heatlamp my oldest son uses for his turtle's cage behind me. This may have had a positive effect that I hadn't considered.

Perhaps in the new beta drivers something happened to the light sensitivity that is causing a few people's problems.

Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 10:51am
That is the first thing NP suggested to us, almost said it was essential to tweak the settings any time you notice stuttering. They also suggested trying to alter the IR strength. These were the number one, most likely causes of stuttering.

Stephen

P.S. Beta version 2.40 is just about ready now with Vatsim and IVAO server options, better wind stabilisation surface wind recovery, option to specify destination ICAO with an auto weather update distance (plus a second auto update 20 miles out), option to use historic data for any time in the previous 24 hour period with normal weather updating as you fly.

Current work in progress ... Bump Aircraft turbulent motions, manual camera view ordering, live arrow key camera view head movements.

Posted By: Brent
Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by mavrocket mavrocket wrote:

Hi Mavrocket,

Thanks
Cheryl

Cheryl,

I have version 4 and I'm using the latest v4 beta drivers that NP posted a couple of weeks ago.

I should also note that I had to decrease the light sensitivity on my TrackIR due to a heatlamp my oldest son uses for his turtle's cage behind me. This may have had a positive effect that I hadn't considered.

Perhaps in the new beta drivers something happened to the light sensitivity that is causing a few people's problems.

Mavrocket,

You may also want to try TIR driver 5.1.300 on your TIR4.  That's exactly what I'm running and have had no issues since I installed it a year ago.  My TIR is also smooth as a baby's bum with Opus LC!Embarrassed

Brent

-------------
i7-7700K, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, Asus GeForce GTX 970, 32Gb, TM Warthog HOTAS, W10 64bit, DX10 FSX with Accel

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net