SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Opus Software
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cloud Flickering and Pauses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iflygary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cloud Flickering and Pauses
    Posted: May-18-2020 at 1:13am
Hello,

I just picked up your latest version of Opus Live Weather for P3DV5 with the latest HF.  One of the main reasons I purchased it was because of the smoothing effect and injected weather with no more cloud shifts.  The clouds and flickering quite frequently and the weather isn't being injected smoothly.  Have I set up something wrong??

Kind regards,
Gary
Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2020 at 9:53am
You want to enable the PDK and our Selective Update weather mode.

You should download the latest version 6.10.01 release as the PDK library was missing in the previous release. Then run in admin mode our PDKSETUP.EXE program. With the PDK active (check the Spy window) then Selective Updates will be available.

N.B.

There are still bugs in P3Dv5 which mean you CANNOT use Selective Update mode when you have their Enhanced Atmospheric (Beta) option enabled. Their new EA Beta mode will result in sky and cloud flickering when any weather is injected using METARs or the PDK. This has been reported by numerous people to LM (and acknowledged) so I expect it will be fixed in their next HF.

So..

With EA Beta mode enabled in the sim you cannot use OpusFSI Selective Updates. Weather can only be injected using our default Dynamic Weather Theme mode.

With EA Beta mode turned OFF then you can use our Selective Update mode to prevent cloud shifts.

Also note even when NO weather is being injected P3D v4 and v5 will occasionally pop clouds. Clouds may disappear and reappear by magic. This is just P3D normal rendering.

There's also another known P3Dv5 bug that causing endlessly cycling wind directions (wind shifts). They (LM) know about it. We have added a Max Upper Wind Strength option to help minimise the wind shift effects on the aircraft.

Stephen Smile
iflygary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iflygary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

You want to enable the PDK and our Selective Update weather mode.

You should download the latest version 6.10.01 release as the PDK library was missing in the previous release. Then run in admin mode our PDKSETUP.EXE program. With the PDK active (check the Spy window) then Selective Updates will be available.

N.B.

There are still bugs in P3Dv5 which mean you CANNOT use Selective Update mode when you have their Enhanced Atmospheric (Beta) option enabled. Their new EA Beta mode will result in sky and cloud flickering when any weather is injected using METARs or the PDK. This has been reported by numerous people to LM (and acknowledged) so I expect it will be fixed in their next HF.

So..

With EA Beta mode enabled in the sim you cannot use OpusFSI Selective Updates. Weather can only be injected using our default Dynamic Weather Theme mode.

With EA Beta mode turned OFF then you can use our Selective Update mode to prevent cloud shifts.

Also note even when NO weather is being injected P3D v4 and v5 will occasionally pop clouds. Clouds may disappear and reappear by magic. This is just P3D normal rendering.

There's also another known P3Dv5 bug that causing endlessly cycling wind directions (wind shifts). They (LM) know about it. We have added a Max Upper Wind Strength option to help minimise the wind shift effects on the aircraft.

Stephen Smile

Hello thanks for the reply.  Can you please post pics just to make sure I have the correct interface and I'm doing the right thing?  I followed your instructions yet I am still experiencing the cloud injecting.  Also, you are correct, this "flaw" has been around with P3D but I don't remember it being as pronounced as it is in P3DV5 correct?  Or is it just me?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 7:16am
The problems I mentioned above are P3Dv5 specific and have been reported. They were not fixed in HF1.

If you don’t want any cloud shifting then turn off the sims Enahnced Atmos Beta option, then just set all defaults in all our weather dialogs. You should see the Selective Update option turned off. If not using the Enhanced Atmos Beta then you can enable our Selective Update option. You can even set our Max Upper Wind Strength to 12 to minimise the effect of P3Dv5 wind shifts (another known P3Dv5 problem).

Ensure our P3DSERVER reports operating in V5 mode (in caption and in the Spy window). Open Spy and make sure you have a healthy PDK connection. Then start the Full Weather Reload and monitor the METAR and GRIB download and weather generation.

And YES, the P3Dv5 sky and cloud flickering (when the new Enhanced Atmos Beta option is enabled) is very severe. That’s why it’s been reported and is totally unusable in Selective Update mode. See my reports in other P3Dv5 topics.

I only use P3Dv5 with their Enhanced Atmos Beta disabled and Selective Updates enabled when flying long haul. If short haul then I just disable our Selective Update mode and use the default theme inject method.

Stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic