SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[ANSWERED] GEX / FSX Steam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ANSWERED] GEX / FSX Steam
    Posted: March-14-2019 at 8:02pm
Hi there. I installed a fresh setup FSX STeam and immediately installed UTX / GEX for all regions. Later I installed many addon's sceneries, one of which I shouldn't have to, but wanted to have a try with it : Swiss VFR from F+C. I believe it is a photo scenery but the end result is just awful. The color is far too green overall and no details on ground) I disabled the sceneries layers in scenery.cfg but I think this scene has installed new set of textures all over the place for Switzerland. The bad news is there is no support from F+C I wanted to know how to properly desinstall their sceneries. They say don't do that automatically but manually by erasing the Swiss VFR folders in Scenery folder. Fine but how do you get back your previously installed textures (=base FSX + GEX) I tought I had made a backup when installing GEX (/GEX_REGIONS-BACKUP) but I only have option do move the folder or to delete it, but not to reinstate the backup ? Should I just reinstall GEX ? 

Thanks

rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2019 at 1:12am
Here's something that might help you.  Until recently I had problems with GEX uninstalling and generally screwing up.  Very frustrating.  Quit using it but always came back.  Went to reinstall about a month ago and had problems installing with the Flight1 system.  Wrote in a ticket and a bright fellow (bless his soul) wrote back and suggested I use the account system.  So I started one, got all my GEX and UTX products installed easily and have had zero problems since.  It's easy to startup an account and well worth it imo.  Could save you a lot of grief.  Rich.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2019 at 4:43pm
@Fowler

If you read the manual (HELP button in the interface) it explains that when you select to DISABLE the GEX regions in FSX that restores the original default files from the BACKUP assuming that backup was not deleted by the user at some point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

REMOVING ANY (or all) GEX REGION(s) FROM FSX -

To disable a single GEX region in FSX open the interface, select the region with a bullet and click the DISABLE button. This operation will remove all the GEX files installed with that region, automatically restore the files from the backup associated with that region and last if there are other GEX regions still enabled, restore the shared files so the remaining GEX regions still function correctly. If you wish to remove ALL GEX regions and use the default or the textures stored in the backup directory, repeat the same DISABLE operation for all enabled GEX regions in the interface one by one. The interface will completely remove all GEX files and restore the files from the backup into FSX.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So, there is no button that says "RESTORE BACKUP" as that would be redundant to the operation to: DISABLE IN FSX

Just be sure when running the GEX interface to right click the GEX Interface shortcut and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Assuming you have a backup which you should since the interface is not reporting "USER DELETED BACKUP" where the backup location appears at the top the interface, all you need to do to restore your entire backup and make sure nothing but default files are in use is select each region (one by one, not all at once) and then click the DISABLE button. Repeat until all regions display: DISABLED IN FSX.

You can then reverse and enable each GEX region and that will reinstall GEX textures. If you have a UTX product for a region select that in the GEX interface and ENABLE it.

If you still see files that this scenery introduced then they are not coming from the texture system and is possible their scenery altered the terrain.cfg and scenery library (which GEX does not do at all). I am not familiar with that scenery so I don't know how I could assist further.

But rest assured, when you DISABLE all the GEX regions in FSX that you own and the ENABLE them again, it restores the default backup first (DISABLE), then restores the GEX texture files (ENABLE). You can then ENABLE the UTX options we offer for the regions you own using the same method.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Rich12345

Are you talking about Flight1 Accounts?  Or MS Windows user accounts?

With the new Flight1 Purchase Tool a Flight1 account is required as I recall but that wont have any function effect on installed Flight1 products after they are installed. The only thing that tool can do past install is easily refresh the license for the user, a operation that was a bit of a pain in the past but is now one-click easy.

As for Windows user accounts.. that should not be required assuming the account in use does not run excessive Windows and/or 3rd party security programs that the user does not have a full understanding of how to regulate and control these features. For years if the proper use of: RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR is used to decompress, install and run the product such issues were very few. We have periodically run across a user who has something 'tightly wound' in their install that can create issues but typically with assistance figure it out and overcome the security issues.

Even Microsoft back in the early FSX days started recommending the use of a separate user account because of the support issues they did not want to deal with and instead made 'Create a New User Account" one of their last but recommended ways to overcome sim install issues when the user had run through many of their fixes for such things.

Most of the time it is as simple as adding a exclusion to security software to ignore GEX and the sim install directory (which people should do for the sim directory anyway)

So yes, creating a new user account can assist those who have (for what ever reason) a stubborn Windows security install. I think I may have suggested it once or twice in the last 15 years, but not much past that.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2019 at 5:49pm
Fowler,

Were you able to resolve your issue by DISABLE/ENABLE of your GEX region(s)?

rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2019 at 12:30am
High Nick, sorry but I did not understand much of what you wrote to me.  Not your fault.  This seems to be occurring more often these days.  The account I was referring to is the Flight1 account.  It puts all purchases in one place and, when reinstalling, is much easier.  Somehow it seems to make the installed purchases more stable or it's my imagination.  Either way it's better than ever.  I should have opened the account years ago.  I have been installing scenery the last week or so.  There is now an object that looks like a battleship and another boat sitting across the runway at KSEA.  I've been trying to fix it with no success.  If I don't figure it out in the next few days I'll post it with screenies. 
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2019 at 5:37am
Getting a Flight1 account would have absolutely zero control effect over how GEX installs/uninstalls or would work. That account is necessary when using the new Flight1 product purchase agent.

And I do mean ZERO.

So what ever you were seeing before that you said quote:

I had problems with GEX uninstalling and generally screwing up.

Had absolutely nothing to do with establishing a Flight1 account.

As for some strange battleship or other boat sitting across from a KSEA runway, that has absolutely nothing to do with GEX or UTX, at all.

There is absolutely nothing I could do to assist with something like that because what ever you are seeing with that has nothing to do with GEX or even UTX so skip asking me to review it. I have never heard or seen of such a thing.

rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2019 at 3:05pm
I'll take your word that there is zero cause and effect with the Flight1 account.  All I know is I had problems and after I made the account the problems stopped and all is well.

I was never going to ask you individually for help with the other problem.  It was obvious it was not caused by GEX.  I wasn't sure about UTX, maybe a conflict with installed scenery.  I temporarily disabled UTX and the problem remained so that was eliminated.  I also did that with other possibilities.  No luck.  I was thinking of asking on the main Flight1 forum if I can't figure it out.  It looks like maybe an elevation problem so I'm looking there.  This really is very weird and I've never seen anything like it either.   
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:17pm
If I could help I would. The best thing to do with scenery showing up in the wrong place like a boat on land is start deactivating addon sceneries and traffic addons one by one.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic