SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

windows 7 and Z370 motherboards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: windows 7 and Z370 motherboards
    Posted: February-13-2018 at 3:42am

Just thought I'd post results of installing windows 7 and FSX on a new coffee lake system, or the latest Z370 chipset.

Previous post about installing on kabylake and expanded in detail by Nick is here.
http://www.simforums.com/forums/7th-and-8th-gen-pc-and-windows-7_topic59143.html

Everything works the same way,  except for the situation that there are, either limited or no windows 7 drivers on the website. Well, again, Not exactly true,  yes they are there, but as we say, hidden in plain sight. Wink

Following information from Intel, who politely informed us that their latest chipset driver package is backward compatible with older operating systems, we decided to investigate a bit further.

So following previous post, we were able to successfully install windows 7 to the following system,

motherboard; Asus Maximus X Hero, Z370 chipset.
I7-8700k
GeForce 1080.

Going to the website here; 
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

we selected the os. as windows 7, and were given only 2 options,  sound and LAN drivers, which we downloaded.

Then we selected Windows 10 os. and downloaded the chipset and sata drivers.   unzipped to a folder.   As per Intel we discovered that it was in fact true that they support windows 7, by opening with notepad the 'inf file',  and Yes, in the list of supported os. is windows 7 and 8.

Then selected "Run as admin" "SetupChipset.exe". and the chipset drivers installed without issue,  checked in device manager etc.

Next the SATA drivers,  same thing, If you open with Notepad the "iaAHCIC.inf" file, you will see that "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A282&CC_0106" (Intel 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller) is listed under Win7, despite the fact this driver is uploaded by Asus for Windows 10 only.

We used this method to install,
>Device Manager/System devices".>
 Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". Right click on "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" and select "Update Driver Software".
 Select "Browse my computer for driver software" and browse for location where you extracted "RST_15.8.1.1007_20170913_WHQL.zip". Check "Include subfolders" box.

Again, they installed correctly.

didn't try the Intel VGA as not needed.

So again we see the push to windows 10 with motherboard manufacturers telling little white lies when they know that Z370 does in fact support windows 7. Wacko

Finally, to the owners delight, window 7 and FSX installed and running on a brand new computer.
As Nick pointed out previously,  I didn't do any performance testing, but wasn't all that impressed with the new system and wouldn't describe it as a great leap forward from the Haswell.  But then, mine is tuned using Nick's bible.

Hope this helps, Beer

Ron.

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 5:58am

Thanks Ron!
Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Ronski Ronski wrote:

Finally, to the owners delight, window 7 and FSX installed and running on a brand new computer.

As Nick pointed out previously,  I didn't do any performance testing, but wasn't all that impressed with the new system and wouldn't describe it as a great leap forward from the Haswell.  But then, mine is tuned using Nick's bible.

Hope this helps, Beer

Ron.

Useful info, many (including me) would not have thought to try that!

I've recently upgraded from a GTX 980 to a GTX 1080Ti, keeping my 4790K in place. An expensive but worthwhile upgrade which is of noticeable benefit with DX11 (but not DX9) as expected. DX11 GPU benchmark scores are more than doubled and the visual results are much more rapid texture loading and a general increase in smoothness even under the toughest scenery areas which I was avoiding before - it honestly feels like I have a new system and I'm ready for a bigger screen and higher resolutions when I want them.

So this just reinforces how a well spec'd and built Haswell system is worth hanging on to and upgrading in key areas. To quote Nick "If you are already on Haswell 4770K or above and running 4.4-4.8GHz on decent DDR3 memory, upgrade the video card, upgrade the storage system, but for gods sake DONT throw away the rest of the system regardless of staying on Windows7 or not.."

Rob
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 1:17pm
Yea, unless I was desperate or just wanted to play not expecting to be successful I probably wouldn't have tried such a setup unless:

a. I was going to dual boot, run W7 and W10 to compare on the same tower

b. I had a z270 setup AS WELL whereby all drivers certified for W7 were available from the motherboard manufacture.

At that point I could compare the z370 rig between OS's and then compare that to the z270

That would indicate reworking drivers for the z370 were worth the effort or not.

But there is also Microsoft. Although it may be possible to build and get the initial z370 up and running with any needed updates, from that point on we don't know what MS is going to do past their announcement that they will detect and cut the system off from updates.

and last, the typical user would not be able to accomplish any of that without very clearly and simplistically written step by step guides, and then, they would have to be able to deal with any unknowns they may be presented with down the line.

But I do agree from what I have seen thus far, since a Haswell runs PCIe 3.0 having our older Haswell running 4.4-4.7GHz on decent DDR3 2400 memory (tight timing) and the higher end video cards (1070/1080), I do not see a lot of difference. The hard drives do not run any faster and although there may be newer instructions coded to the newer processors, no version of Flight Sim or P3D makes any use of them.

Anyone who built a Haswell setup and did it right in 2013 can easily upgrade drives to SSD and upgrade the video adapter to the latest version and see basically the same thing someone who buys a z270/z370 system sees.

Ronski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 9:19pm

Quote they would have to be able to deal with any unknowns they may be presented with down the line.
Yes, this is the unknown,
in this case a customer/friend's old computer died. A complete new system was required.
 Here in Australia, it's getting harder to get 'older' hardware, ie. Haswell/skylake without searching 'on line' for parts.

we agreed to give it a try and found out the 'Windows 10 only' chipset/Sata  drivers are indeed windows 7 certified.
When I have time, I may look a bit closer at other so-called '10' only drivers.

They were happy to have it, computer mainly to be used for Flight Simming only.
I also warned that some of the features of the new board would probably not work correctly and to take advantage of these new features, then a dual boot would be a better option.

Like you said,  even though it can still be done, it's getting more complicated.
Even more hurdles to jump.  (your going to have to work a little  a lot more.)

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 12:07am
even though it can still be done, it's getting more complicated.

And that is how MS is pushing mainstream

I can do what you outlined, can the masses?   of course not!

Also consider, this nonsense about Spectre and Intel infiltration, was known many years ago

Timing: MS wants everybody on their new OS, they have said to network admins, "DO NOT UPDATE YET BUT WE ARE GETTING THERE"

I mean really?   The exploit dates back to 1991 <--------------------   yes it does

Now all of a sudden you must have new hardware and Windows 10 to be safe.

Perfect example of tying the rope to the bull nose ring and leading him around.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic