SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain Series > Support for all the 'Ultimate' Series of Terrain Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why not Prepar3D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjorn.wigerup@hotmai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why not Prepar3D
    Posted: August-28-2012 at 6:04am
Why is not the UTX products compatible with Prepar3D?. As you can see on new releases most of them are also compatible with Prepar3D, and more to come.
P3D is an further development of the FSX platform. The development is on going. New release 1.4 is newly released!!
So this is the future my dear sim fellows.
Regards
BjornTongue
sk945
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2012 at 12:28pm
Bjorn.   The Prepare3D platform is high on our list.  Personally, I am pretty excited to port our products over to P3D.  But, there are still some unknown legal issues with licensing at this immediate time.    Personally, I don't have a problem with porting Scenery Solutions products over as is.   But, our products are based mostly on licensed commercial data.   Right now, the following questions have to be answered:

1) Will Lockheed-Martin ever be able to sell P3D to the public for entertainment purposes ?   Right now, that does not appear to be the case.   Other developers are being very careful about how they license for P3D.

2) How does the switch to P3D affect our source data licensing (from commercial data  vendors) ?     For personal use, it is probably not a problem.   But, in theory, my understanding is that P3D is only allowed to be sold for commercial, developer and academic use.    Commercial use of UTX products would void our licensing agreements with our data vendors.

I would expect a decision to be made on this very soon.   The tricky part is going to be separating the use of UTX as a commercial addon versus academic/developer.   Licensing for commercial use in P3D would be different obviously.

We have recently begun work on a new round of enhancment patches for all UTX products.   Once these are complete, We will look into moving those products over to P3D.  I don't see any real roadblocks with P3D.  But, we just need to make sure that everything is in place from a legal/licensing standpoint.

I sincerely hope that Lockheed Martin can further enhance the product and open this up to the public.

Allen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic