SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where are the Windows 7 bass/treble controls?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where are the Windows 7 bass/treble controls?
    Posted: March-10-2010 at 12:58pm
Hello,

I have a Loitech G51 speaker system on my PC which is great except for 1 small problem. Every time I switch the computer off at the wall socket the speakers 'forget' the bass volume settings then when I switch the PC back on they revert back to the default settings which has far too much bass. This means I have to manually adjust the bass setting on the speakers every time I switch my PC on.

On my old computer with Windows XP this wasn't a problem because there was an adjustment for the bass/treble settings in the Windows sound mixer so I just turned the bass volume down in Windows and left the speakers on their default setting. However, I've been unable to find these bass/treble settings in Windows 7, can anyone help?
randolphin2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolphin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 1:32pm

I believe that is a feature pushed by hardware and drivers rather than from the operating system. The driver software may have the ability to change those things for you, if the hardware (sound card or chip on MB) supports it.

As for the speakers and losing the volume-bass settngs, that is wierd unless you are changing them via the computer.

Randy

Randolphin2
steve_1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 2:39pm
I'm using the motherboards onboard sound with the default drivers that came with Windows so there are no adjustments here.  There was no software included with the speakers either. I could problably download a program from the internet that would do the job but I don't really want to add any extra unnecessary software to my PC if it can be helped.

As for the speakers losing the volume-bass settngs this is normal for all Logitech G51's.  They only lose the bass settings if they're unpluged from the wall though.  If I leave my PC and speakers on standby they do keep their bass settings.  I just like to unplug my PC when not in use to be eco friendly.
djMot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djMot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 10:00pm
Is this the same machine we're talking about and it's been upgraded to W7, or is it another machine running XP?

Randy is correct about the manufacturer aspect of this feature.  It's a function of the sound card, be it on the mobo or a separate card.  If you've just made a move to W7 from XP, you'll want to check with the mobo manufacturer or the sound card mfr for W7 specific audio drivers and applications.  That might get your bass & treble controls back.
Asus P6T Deluxe V2, i7 950, 6GB DDR3 1600 6-7-6-18, Caviar 1TB & 750GB, VelociRaptor 150GB, GTX285FTW, Win7Pro x64, FSX/UTX/REX2/GEX
TuneGRR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 7:41pm

The machine we're talking about is the one with the spec you see below with the Asus P7P55D LE motherboard and it has a clean installation of Windows 7.

I've found this link to the Asus website which has 38 different drivers and utilities available for my motherboard.  I'm a bit out of my depth here, I have no idea which driver or utility to download or what to do with them to change the bass volume. Confused

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us  Just click on Motherboard on the left then select Asus P7P55D LE

djt1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by steve_1979 steve_1979 wrote:

I'm a bit out of my depth here, I have no idea which drivers or utilies to download or what to do with them to change the bass volume. Confused

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us  Just click on Motherboard on the left then select Asus P7P55D LE

Lol, the word “Audio” usually refers to “Sound” right? Under the section “Audio” under the listing of drivers for your motherboard you'll find a driver for your on-board sound called -

“VIA Audio Driver V6.0.1.7500 for 32/64bit Windows XP & Windows Vista & Windows”

The driver should include a control panel also to control treble/bass.

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1802 BIOS)
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT
Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-7-6-18-1N)
Asus/ATI 5870 (Catalyst 10.2)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 Ultimate 64
WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs
WD VelociRaptor 150GB - XP Pro 64 Bit Edition/SP2
PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W
LIAN LI PC-A70B

ASUS Rampage Extreme (BIOS 1202)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
Mushkin XP3-12800 Ascent 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 285 FTW (196.34)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows Vista Ultimate 64/SP2
SILVERSTONE 1500Watt SST
SILVERSTONE TJ09-B
djMot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djMot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 10:15pm
Hey Steve.

Under that motherboard there is an Audio category.  In there are 3 drivers.  You want the top one - Version 6.0.1.7500.  Then select Download from: Global (the green diskette) and enter the CAPTCHA.  Save the file to your desktop, then right click it and choose to install it.

I presume at the other end of the install, you'll probably have a tray icon which will have advanced audio controls.  Whether it will integrate into the W7 Mixer remains to be seen.

Hope that helps. 

[edit]  Oops.  Just noticed that it's a zip file.  A big one at that.  So download it, then unzip it.  There's likely to be a setup.exe at the root of the extracted files/folders.

Disclaimer:  I only want to help.  I don't have your computer in front of me.  What I've suggested here is exactly what I would do given the understanding I have regarding your computer from how you've described it.  Oh and, btw:  I have no clue about the ATI 5850's power requirements, but I'm going to be a tad concerned over the 550W PS.  A 750 would add a nice margin of headroom when under full graphics load.  Just a thought there.  :)
Asus P6T Deluxe V2, i7 950, 6GB DDR3 1600 6-7-6-18, Caviar 1TB & 750GB, VelociRaptor 150GB, GTX285FTW, Win7Pro x64, FSX/UTX/REX2/GEX
TuneGRR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 10:00am

Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure if I needed the audio driver or one of the utilities to get the bass/treble controls.  I'll give you an update on how I get on when I get the chance to download it later.

Re: 550W PSU.  Yeah I thought it was a bit on the small side too but my PC was built by professionals who know what they're doing so I trust their judgment.  They gave me a 2 year warrantee and I've been using it for 3 months with no problems (touch wood).  The ATI HD5850 only uses 305watts under full load and ATI recommend that you use a PSU with a minimum of 500watts.  I guess I'll just have to be careful not to choose a power hungary graphics card if I upgrade it in the future.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 4:35pm

Great, that's worked a treat.  Included with the new driver is a utility called VIA HD Audio Deck which has a graphic equalizer that does the job.

Thanks again djMot.

djMot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djMot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 5:42pm
Awesome!  Glad it all worked out so well.  Smile
TuneGRR
keveenanderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keveenanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 2:25am

To change the bass and treble control in windows7 you will go through control panel and then select the sound box option then select the speaker properties and then you can adjust bass and treble as per your requirement easily.

giomanto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giomanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 7:47am

Purchasing the GE Pro for FS2004 I proceded to install the software in the computer (Windows 7 program). I specify to have installed:

FS2004 in C:/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 2004

and GE Pro in C:/Program files/

After have followed the different procedures for texture and sky,  I saw that no connection there is between GE Pro and FS2004. Someone can help me? Thanks

djMot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djMot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 8:33am
keveen - The settings in the control panel seem dependent on the hardware installed.  I, for example have no bass & treble controls in the area you suggest.  I do, however have bass & treble - and more - in the applet installed with the sound card.  It's always a good idea to see what's available through standard Windows settings, but in many cases, even these are dictated by the services exposed at the driver level.  In Steve's case, like mine, the "out of the box" experience wasn't "complete" without the manufacturer's drivers and applications installed.
TuneGRR
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic