SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UTX Variations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UTX Variations
    Posted: July-23-2017 at 10:41pm
Hi All,
Wasn't sure what topic to search on for any previous request of this nature, so apologies if this has been asked before.

Does anyone know if it is possible to apply UTX variations to a local situation e.g.
in UTX USA I have a number of the road options disabled when flying in the area of San Juan Island, WA due to other landclass and default vector conflicts (roads running through buildings, airfields etc) but my understanding is this would apply for the whole region....
Maybe I'm wrong?

Alternatively, is there a way of having these road exclusions apply only to flying in this area of USA or a way of switching the road exclusion on or off from within FSX?
Again, I suspect I am expecting too much.
Having certain roads excluded when flying en-route from KFHR to the mainland is the best option but having the excluded roads as VFR references when over the mainland is helpful.

Any advice, help or clarification would be appreciated from you experts.
Cheers
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 4:39pm
You cannot have different regional vector display/non-display as the settings configured in the UTX Setup Tool for a product apply to its entire coverage area.

As for you comment about "default vector conflicts", if UTX is correctly installed you would no longer see any default vector scenery (whether that was roads, railroads, water features, etc.). If you explain what you mean by this we may be able to provided further insight.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
zippo2glide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2017 at 2:34am
Hi Jeff,
Many thanks for the reply. Yeah. I thought I was wishing for the improbable.

What I meant by the default vector scenery was, the situation where UTX roads (being more accurate) does not align with roads on default scenery tiles, cutting through fields etc, will pass through some default airfields (inaccurate positioning) and autogen buildings. Maybe I used the wrong terminology. I can send a snapshot if you like.

Cheers
Zippo

quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2017 at 7:58pm
Understand what you are talking about. Here's some info from our UTX Misc FAQ which explains things.

Quote Q. I see UTX roads/water features cutting through sports fields/buildings/roads on the underlying ground textures. Why is this?
A. It is normal to see vector roads and water features from UTX cutting through the fake sports fields, roads and buildings painted on the underlying ground textures. This is how things work in FSX. To explain things in a bit more detail.

Vector scenery like roads/railroads/water features (added by UTX or the less accurate and incomplete FSX versions) have no knowledge of what is painted on the 'dumb' ground texture.

Think of it this way. Take 256 square carpet tiles. Paint them to match the default FSX ground textures for each different land classifications. They will therefore show things like fields, or wet lands, or low-rise urban, or high-rise urban, or rural, etc.. These will have fake, flat pictures of houses and roads and trees and sports fields painted on them. Put them to one side.

Now, get a sheet of clear plastic, lay it on top of a real map of an area and draw on the plastic where the real roads, railroads and water features are. Now get some building blocks (which you will use to represent buildings) and glue them on top of the plastic sheet to match where the real buildings are.

Now throw away your real map of the area and instead pick some of the painted carpet tiles and lay them out next to each other to try and give the best representation of your area using these fixed tiles. Note that you cannot repaint them as that is fixed. You also cannot rotate them in any direction as they are fixed.

Now lay your clear plastic sheet with its accurately mapped roads, railroads, water features and building blocks on top of the carpet tiles. Guess what... in some places a road on the plastic sheet goes directly over a flat, fake house painted on your fixed carpet tile ... in other places a lake on the plastic sheet cuts in half a flat, fake sports field painted on your fixed carpet tile, in other places you see a fake road painted on your fixed carpet tile which has no relation to any real road on the plastic sheet ... in other places ...

UTX is equivalent to the roads, railroads and water features on your plastic sheet, while the carpet tiles are the equivalent of the default FSX or enhanced (e.g. GEX), ground textures.

Hopefully by now you get the idea of why things happen as they do, and that this is a limitation of FSX vector scenery and 3D objects being placed on top of fixed 1 km by 1 km ground textures.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
zippo2glide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippo2glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2017 at 8:36pm
Hi Jeff,
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic