SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UTX INstall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacknife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UTX INstall
    Posted: June-19-2017 at 1:08am
Hello I hope I am posting in the correct place.

New computer, windows 10, just installed FSX steam about two weeks ago, orbx sceneries, GEX, and some addons aircraft. It is runnung fine. I just installed UTX ( Canada v2.0) following the instructions in The UTX faq using the run as adiministrator. UTX did not install completely...I get an error message ..... Scenery.cfg or other simulator files could not be located at the expected location..C:\user\name\AppData\roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\scenery.cfg. ... when the Set Up tool launches. I closed it and Run as Admin. and same issue.

The fsx-Steam exe  is located in c:\Program Files(x86)\Steam \Steam\App\Common\FSX

The scenery.cfg is located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

I have read the posts of people with similar problem but have not come up with a solution to this issue for my situation.

Any support would be appreciated.

Jack
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 11:56am
Did you ever have FSX Boxed installed on this system before you installed FSX Steam?

Was the UTX Canada V2.0 installer recently downloaded i.e. in the last couple of weeks?

Based on the installation message the installer thinks that your system is running in co-existance mode with both FSX Steam and FSX Boxed installed on it. It is therefore triggering the sub-installer which looks to install things to work in that case. Do you know how to use the Windows registry editor so we can verify that some other installer used before has not written incorrect entries related to FSX Steam/FSX Boxed which are confusing things?

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
jacknife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacknife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 12:33am
Hi Jeff
Up front... I have limited computer knowledge but can follow instructions ... lol

This a fresh install of only FSX Steam ...no FSX boxed version has been installed. Just purchased a new computer so I thought I would try FSX Steam because I was getting numerous OOM on my old system which had both programs installed.

The installer for UTX Canada V2 was downloaded from the computer store where I just got the computer...appro...2 weeks ago.

I am not very experienced with windows registry other than a fellow MP DCA3 Virtual Airways friend helped me the other day trying to solve another issue. He instructed me as how to remove some file/folders related to FScopilot and FSInn. FScopilt installed fine but FSInn does not install on this new  windows 10 system. I get an error message saying that ...failure to update FSInn.ocx.

I am finding Windows 10 very difficult with numerous other installs  also not related to FSX Steam.

Anyway... any ideas with the UTZ problem?

Jack
jacknife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacknife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 12:36am
UTX  ...not UTZ

Jack
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 1:44pm
As we tested and verified the latest UTX Canada V2 installer on a Windows 10 FSX-Steam only system with no issues, the only thing I can say is that something else you installed on your system prior to UTX modified the registry entries which FSX-Steam created in a way which now makes your system look like it has both FSX-Steam and FSX Boxed on it.

Doing work in the Windows registry if you are not used to using regedit (Windows registry editor) is not something I'd want to get you to try for the first time via forum posts.

We may be able to trick the UTX Install Manager to get around whatever is going on in your Windows registry for FSX-Steam but in the end you'll potentially run into this issue again with other add-ons.

When you ran the UTX Install Manager during the install, did it list two possible flightsim platforms that UTX Canada V2 could be installed in?

Jeff

iichiversii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iichiversii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 6:23pm
I'm having the very same issue with the Ultimate Terrain X Europe add-on, I also can confirm that I never had a box version of FSX, iv the steam edition only, iv tried everything for the past 2 days without success, can you at least create a guide on video on how to fix this, tbh I didn't see any guide on how to install this add on anywhere either, a simple step by step video of how to install it and how to fix this error would be very helpful, talking computers and reprogramming this and that doesn't make sense to everyone, please help us
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 9:37pm
Just saying you have the same issue provides little extra to identify what is going on.

What OS do you have? What other add-ons do you have? What messages are displayed during installation? What steps have you tried yourself? Did you run all the installation steps by right-clicking on the apps and selecting "Run as administrator"?

There is no way to provide a standard answer to this sort of issue as every case is unique. This has been tested thoroughly on systems which have just FSX-Steam on then with no issues i.e. it is something unique to your systems which is causing the installer problems in identifying the correct location.

Provide us with more information and we can try to determine what is going on and suggest a workaround short of uninstalling everything (including FSX-Steam), cleaning out all registry entries and starting again. This never fails to work but is obviously a significant step to take.

Jeff

jacknife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacknife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 10:41pm
Hi Jeff

Yes I was given the option of installing in FSX Boxed or FSX Steam.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:40pm
Which did you select? If you selected FSX Steam, try the FSX Boxed choice to see if things are any better (as when FSX Steam is installed on its own and not in co-existance mode, it does its best to pretend to be FSX Boxed).

Jeff

jacknife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacknife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:30pm
Ya  ..I selected FSX Steam. I'll give FSX boxed a go.

jacknife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacknife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:01pm
Success.  UTX installed when selecting FSX Boxed. In the list of Programs, in Flight One Software there are two UTX choices.... FSX and FSX Steam.  Which one should I use to make set up changes?

Thanks Jeff

Jack
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 36 minutes ago at 10:58pm
It will likely be the FSX one.

Jeff

jacknife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacknife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 minutes ago at 11:32pm
Hi Jeff

I went ahead and used FSX Steam Setup tool before waiting for your reply.  Both of the UTX Canada Setup tools have the same target and "start in" location. Any way of telling if both are ok to use?
Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic