SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUTX FAQ - 2) Setup Tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Topic: UTX FAQ - 2) Setup Tool
    Posted: March-05-2009 at 2:49pm
The Ultimate Terrain X FAQ - Part 2

Setup Tool

Q. I installed UTX and it ran the Setup Tool at that time. I now want to make additional changes but cannot find the Setup Tool, where is it?
A. You can find links for the Ultimate Terrain Setup Tool from your PC's Start Menu. Look for them under the Flight One Software entry.

Q. I have Vista/Windows 7 installed on my PC, are there any steps I need to take when using the UTX Setup Tool?
A. To try and prevent issues with Vista/Windows 7's User Access Control (UAC), make sure that when you run the UTX Setup Tool you right-click on it and select "Run as administrator". You can make this change permanent by right-clicking on it, selecting Properties and turn on the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox on the Compatibility tab.

Q. How can I tell which version of UTX I have installed?
A. The version of the UTX product you have installed is displayed in the title bar of the UTX Setup Tool. You can also find it by selecting the menu item Help->About The Ultimate Terrain Setup Tool.

Q. How can I turn UTX features on and off with the UTX Setup Tool?
A. On the right hand side is 'Feature Tree'. By clicking on the '+' sign you can expand the entries for each set of features. You then select the feature you want to work with by clicking on it. A graphical representation and description of what that feature does is shown on the left hand side. If the feature is active, you will see this indicated by the large Active button. If the feature is inactive, you will see this indicated by the large Inactive button. To switch between the active and inactive states, just press the button. A progress bar will be displayed and then the state on the button will change when complete.

Q. When I click on a feature's Active/Inactive button to try and change it, the progress bar moves but the button stays the same. How can I fix this?
A. If you are not able to enable/disable a UTX feature in the UTX Setup Tool, this is usually caused by duplicate scenery files with both a .BGL (active) and .XXX (inactive) file extension. We have a diagnostic feature built into the UTX Setup Tool to correct these sort of things.

- Start the UTX Setup Tool
- After the initial self-validation checks have been completed hold down the CTRL+SHIFT+R keys at the same time.
- Follow the instructions to let it look for and fix up any duplicate files.

Q. How can I quickly enable/disable UTX without turning off the scenery folders in the FSX Scenery Library?

A. Use the 'Quick Ultimate Terrain Enable/Disable' choice from the UTX Setup Tool 'Ultimate Terrain' menu.

Q. The UTX road surfaces have vehicles painted on them, how do I remove them?
A. Use the 'Change Road Surface Colors' choice from the UTX Setup Tool 'Ultimate Terrain' menu. Then, just uncheck the 'Add Auto Imprint(urban roads)' checkbox.

Q. When I click on the Modify FSX Settings / Performance Report menu item the UTX Setup Tool crashes. How can I fix this?
A. You need to update to the latest version of UTX. All updates for UTX products can be found on the Scenery Solutions Ultimate Terrain X Downloads for FSX web-page.

Note the reason that the UTX Setup Tool crashed was because some 3rd-party environment apps changed the global texture resolution to a size which is not supported by the FSX settings for that choice.

Q. Where can I find details of what the choices mean under the UTX Setup Tool Advanced menu?
A. These can be found in the Advanced User Features guide which was installed with the product. You can find a link for this guide from your PC's Start Menu. Look for it under the Flight One Software entry.

Q. When I start the UTX Setup Tool it gives me lots of warnings about "Missing referenced texture in TERRAIN.CFG". What does this mean?
A. This sounds like an installation issue. Most likely you are using Vista/Windows 7 and did not run the installer by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator", or, you installed the product outside of the default location offered by the installer (which is the main FSX folder where it must be installed in). See the UTX Installation FAQ for more information.

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic