SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUTX FAQ - 1) Installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Topic: UTX FAQ - 1) Installation
    Posted: March-05-2009 at 1:03pm
The Ultimate Terrain X FAQ - Part 1

Installation

Q. By default the UTX installer wants me to install under the main FSX folder, can I change this to install it somewhere else?
A. No, UTX must be installed under the main FSX folder.

Q. I have Vista/Windows 7 installed on my PC, are there any steps I need to take when installing UTX?
A. To try and prevent issues with Vista/Windows 7's User Access Control (UAC), make sure that you right-click on the UTX installer and select "Run as administrator".

Also, make sure that when you run the UTX Setup Tool you right-click on it and select "Run as administrator". You can make this change permanent by right-clicking on it, selecting Properties and turn on the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox on the Compatibility tab.

If you still have issues attempting to run the installers on Windows 7, one thing to try is booting your Windows 7 system in Safe Mode and running the installers to see if that helps.

To boot Windows 7 in safe mode, restart your computer and when it starts tap the F8 key a few times until the Windows 7 advanced boot options screen appears. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode selection and then press the Enter key. When you have completed the installation, restart your PC normally.

Q. I want to install the base Ultimate Terrain X product for an area and then all the updates in one go to get to the latest version, is this OK?
A. While you can install the base product and then the updates in turn, make sure that you run FSX at least once between each step. This is needed so that required entries get written into the FSX configuration files. Refer to our UTX Updates FAQ for more information on updating UTX products to the latest version.

Q. I installed UTX but cannot find the manual, where is it?
A. You can find links for the Ultimate Terrain X Manual and the Advanced User Features guide from your PC's Start Menu. Look for them under the Flight One Software entry.

Q. I installed UTX and it ran the Setup Tool at that time. I now want to make additional changes but cannot find the Setup Tool, where is it?
A. You can find links for the Ultimate Terrain Setup Tool from your PC's Start Menu. Look for them under the Flight One Software entry. See the UTX Setup Tool FAQ for more information.

Q. After installing UTX, when the UTX Setup Tool first runs it reports a critcal error that it cannot find the FSX Scenery.cfg in the expected location. What is wrong?
A. One reason this can happen is if you are installing on Vista and the User Access Control security (UAC) of the OS does not allow you to install files under the Program Files folders. See the topic above on installing UTX on Vista.

In a few other cases, this issue has been seen on Vista systems which have multiple accounts created on them and FSX has been installed using one account, while UTX used another. Make sure you use the same account in both cases.

See these links to postings on the Ultimate Terrain support forum for additional information and ideas:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29136

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=28728

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=28543

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic