SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UT Setup Tool Scenery.cfg Error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UT Setup Tool Scenery.cfg Error
    Posted: July-14-2017 at 5:17pm
Hi All

I've just bought Ultimate Terrain X - Europe V2, downloaded the Installer & run through the installation process in order to run the add-on with my newly purchased/downloaded version of FSX-SE.

The Installation completes successfully, and advises it will automatically launch the Setup Tool, but unfortunately when this launches I'm hit with the following error:

I've spent a few hours searching the forums and seen a number of similar issues but these all seem to relate to instances where there has been a boxed version of FSX previously/simultaneously. In my case this is a new PC, only just purchased & installed FSX-SE and then UT-Europe so there is no FSX Boxed Version historically, or any previous installs/uninstalls of FSX. During the install process for ultimate Terrain my only option was to install the Steam Edition (as expected).

Within the Setup Tool I can see an option to Change the Sim Location - I selected this but the Location appears correct for my FSX installation, matches the registry entry, and has the green validated check mark:

However when I Ok this I get the same error as above. I navigated to the above folder and can see the scenery.cfg file - checking Properties of this I see that it is not set to Read Only, or Hidden or anything.

I'm running a Windows 10 64-bit OS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks
Mark
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 11:26pm
When you ran the UTX Install Manager for UTX Europe V2 did it provide selections for both Boxed FSX and FSX-SE?

If so, which did you choose? I'd guess you picked FSX-SE. For some reason on some systems which have only every had FSX-SE on something else comes along and writes other registry entries which make it look like it is running both FSX boxed and FSX-SE. This means that when the UTX install manager is run it gives both choices. In that case if you select FSX-SE it is in fact the wrong choice as in the case of FSX-SE on its own on a system which has never seen FSX Boxed most of the locations of the config files are where they would be for FSX Boxed.

I'd suggest that if you did see the two choices when you ran the UTX Install Manager that you uninstall UTX Europe V2, restart the sim at least once, and then run the UTX Install Manager again (making sure of course that you do this by right-clicking on it and selecting 'Run as administrator') and this time select FSX Boxed.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
Athous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2017 at 2:44pm
Hi Jeff

Thanks for the reply - I'd spotted similar threads where the solution seemed to be to select the Boxed version during install despite never having that version but I'm afraid in my case I only have the option to install the SE version within Install Manager:

I've just removed UT Set up & Installation Manager from my sysem, restarted FSX-SE once, and then ran both the "UTX-Europe21" downloaded Application and then the "UTXInstallManager" as Administrator and what I get is shown in the screenshot above, only being able to select the Steam Version - I've just gone back through the install in this way and get the same problem.

Cheers
Mark
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2017 at 11:21pm
During the install did you run all installers, the UTX Install Manager and the UTX Setup Tool by right-clicking on them and selecting "Run as administrator"?

Jeff

Athous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 4:35am
Hi Jeff

The first time I downloaded the Install Manager I just selected to Run from the download pop-up bar within IE, and then let the Install Manager trigger the Set Up Installation as I hadn't seen any Installation instructions advising to Run as Administrator.

However since then I've uninstalled both Install Manager & UTX and launched both the Install Manager and Set Up App by Right-Clicking and opting to Run as Administrator and get the same results I'm afraid (the screenshot above is from one of these attempts). I've tried this twice with no luck.

Cheers
Mark
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:39am
If you browse to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft on your PC (note that ProgramData is a hidden folder so you will have to change the Windows folder options to show them) is there an FSX and/or FSX-SE folder there? If there is an FSX folder is there a SCENERY.CFG file inside it?

Jeff

amrick615 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amrick615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 8:58pm
Im afraid I have this same exact issue, and I followed the same steps. I even tried renaming FSX-SE to FSX in the appdata section, but that does not do anything. In that folder, the scenery.cfg is present.

Which file do I install everything from the Installation Manager in? Is it the FSX folder for steam? 
SWA6880
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 10:06pm
The Scenery.cfg file found in the AppData location is not the one which is used to add 3rd-party add-on scenery to. It is just the base version which is used as a template after the initial install to be copied into the active location.

If you are also see FSX-SE sub-folders in places like AppData and/or ProgramData and/or steamapps then when FSX-SE installed it thought it was installing in co-existance mode as it saw some indication in the Windows registry that FSX Boxed version had previously, or was still installed. Was this the case in your installation? Basically in a correct FSX-SE installation on a system which has no Windows registry information about FSX Boxed it will install everything with just folders named FSX and not FSX-SE i.e. the FSX-SE installer does everything it can to look as much like a boxed FSX installation.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Which file do I install everything ... in" as you do not install things into files but into folders. Are you asking where the UTX Install Manager should be installed or the UTX product when the Install Manager runs? In general the UTX Install Manager is installed somewhere outside of the FSX tree and the UTX product is installed in the default location as suggested by its installer based on information it has read from the Windows registry. You should not be changing the location it suggests from the default unless something is going wrong and it would always be better to not install rather than put things in the wrong location.

Jeff

Athous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 6:56am
Hi Jeff

Within C:\ProgramData\Microsoft it appears there is just an FSX folder (no FSX-SE):

Within this FSX folder there is a Scenery.cfg as well as other files:

Cheers
Mark
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 6:40pm
As the file looks to be there then for some reason the UTX Setup Tool is not being able to either find it or make changes to it.

The usual culprit of this is Windows user access control (UAC) which works to prevent malware apps from modifying content in protected locations. Some anti-virus/anti-malware will do this as well (are you running any?) As noted before the usual solution to this is to run the UTX Setup Tool by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator".

Another reason is if for some reason that file, or any of the folders in the path to it are set to be read-only and/or hidden. Double-check this is not the case.

When you run FSX-SE and look in the Scenery Library under Settings do you see UTX related scenery entries?

Jeff

Athous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 7:45am
Hi Jeff

Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been away on a business trip & was unable to check the settings you mentioned.

I am running Kaspersky Total Security 2017, however I disabled this & re-attempted the download/installation & get the same issues.

Checking the folder permissions, it looks to me like Administrators have the correct permissions down the folder tree to the FSX folder:

ProgramData:

Microsoft:

FSX:

These look OK to me in terms of permissions unless you can see anything awry?

not sure if it's of any relevance, but I've since bought GEX Europe v2.40 & this installed perfectly fine on the same box.

Many Thanks
Mark
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 7:07pm
An administrator (member of Adminsitrators group) is different than 'the' Administrator.

Did you run the UTX Setup Tool by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator" (which is 'the' administrator)?

I also need answers to the other questions I asked i.e.

Is some file, or any of the folders in the path to it set to be read-only and/or hidden? Double-check this is not the case.

When you run FSX-SE and look in the Scenery Library under Settings do you see UTX related scenery entries?

Jeff

gets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 3:48pm
Jeff. I have the same problem since purchasing GEP3D. Have followed this thread with no luck. I still get the "can't find fsxscenery.cfg file error'
I do have a FSX-SE scenery.cfg file however.
Appreciate your assistance.
Windows 10 home premium,Intel i5-2500k OC 4.5Ghz,GTX1060 500GB SSHD,1TB hard drive,27" Samsung monitor, 8MB RAM 1333,REX,MTX,GEX,UTX,FSX-SE P3DV4.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 12:41am
@gets - I do not understand what you are reporting.

Do you mean UTX was working in FSX-SE, then you added GEP3D, and it stopped? Why get GEP3D when you have FSX-SE? If you have an FSX-SE scenery.cfg that has nothing to do with P3D and indicates that you have a system which is running in FSX compatibility mode i.e. it thinks you have both FSX boxed and FSX-SE installed. Is that the case?

Jeff

gets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 4:57am
HI Jeff. Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can clear things up. I had FSXA installed and working with both UTX and GEX working. I installed P3DV4 and then purchased GEP3D to work with it. I removed FSXA and was using P3DV4 only. The GEP3D installed both GEX and UTX into P3DV4 fine. I installed FSX-SE because I am a beta tester for REX and I want to test on more than one platform. I installed GEX into FSX-SE and it works fine. When I try to install UTX I get the message that it can't locate the FSX\Scenery\CFG file. I have removed all file and folders for FSX that I can find, including registry files. I noticed that in the Control panel I have a Microsoft Flight SimulatorX and a Microsoft Flight Simulator X SE Edition listed. If I try to uninstall the Microsoft Flight Simulator X, I get the following Unhandled Exception message.
Error number. 0X80040702. Description: Failed to Load DLL:Gameuxinstall Helper. Setup will now terminate.

I do run as administrator etc. when I try to install UTX.
Bob G.
Windows 10 home premium,Intel i5-2500k OC 4.5Ghz,GTX1060 500GB SSHD,1TB hard drive,27" Samsung monitor, 8MB RAM 1333,REX,MTX,GEX,UTX,FSX-SE P3DV4.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 9:54am
The issue you have is that when you uninstalled FSXA it did not remove all the Windows registry entries which it had created (it's a problem with the FSXA uninstaller). This meant that when you installed FSX-SE it did so in what is called coexistance mode where it thinks it has both FSXA and FSX-SE when it does not. This causes issues for installers like UTX which uses the registry entries to handle multiple install combinations. What should have been done before installing FSX-SE was to completely remove all the no longer used FSXA registry entries.

If you are a technical user who is happy working with the Windows registry editor it may be possible to re-wire things to make things work but it is a complex task.

Note that GEP3D does not install UTX itself. It just adds some additional textures to better work with UTX.

Jeff

gets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 10:33am
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I am comfortable working with the registry. Ok, now I understand the options in GEP3D regarding UTX. I have UTX U.S.A for the Steam FSX.
Bob G.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 9:42pm
Take a look in this old thread on the same subject. About half way through I provide detailed instructions and screenshots on exactly what you should see for an FSX-SE only installation in the Windows registry. I also provide in the post below that, a set of detailed instructions on other files/folders which need changes made to them.

Take a look at them and tell me if you feel comfortable making these sort of changes.

Jeff

gets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 8:24am
Jeff. I have no problems with making any changes. How do I upload snaps to this thread?
Bob G.
Athous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 10:09am
Hi Jeff

Apologies for missing off the other questions - just to confirm:

• I don't see any UTX Entries at all under the Scenery Library in FSX-SE

• I ran the first install attempt just by double-clicking as hadn't seen the Run as Administrator instruction, however since uninstall, ALL previous attempts at each element have been right-click & Run as Administrator.

• Within the ProgramData folder hierarchy the ProgramData, Microsoft & FSX folders each have the square icon against the "Read Only" setting on Properties (I guess meaning that some elements below are Read Only?) but none have the check icon, and the Scenery.cfg itself has no icon at all against Read Only.

Cheers
Mark
gets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 11:54am
Guys, I am in the middle of hurricane Irma. Fort Myers Florida. Have to turn off computer. Don't know how much longer we will have power.
Catch you when it's over and have power again.
Bob G.
gets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 5:53pm
Looks like we made it through the hurricane. So, I should be ok.
Bob G.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Athous Athous wrote:

I don't see any UTX Entries at all under the Scenery Library in FSX-SE

Do you have any 'Ut*' related folders under the [FSX-SE]->Scenery folder? (Where [FSX-SE] is referring to the main installation folder for FSX-SE where the Steam fsx.exe is)

Jeff

gets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2017 at 6:02am
Hi Jeff. Made it through the hurricane with some damage but no big problems. Anytime you would be able to give me instructions would be fine.
Bob G.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2017 at 10:06pm
@gets, glad to hear you are safely on the right side of the hurricane now.

As for instructions, take a look at the old thread I mention in a posting just above as that is a very good place to start to see what the registry and folder/files names should be for an FSX-SE only installation.

Just let me know if anything in that does not make sense or concerns you.

Jeff

gets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 12:42pm
@Jeff. Could you give me a date on the thread where you would like me to start. The thread with the person you were working with has him trying many things and his registry doesn't look like mine of course, so it confusing exactly where you suggest I start. Once you give me date of the reply I can go from there.
Thanks.
Bob G.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2017 at 12:24am
What the person in the old thread's registry settings were not important as if you read the thread at one point, in two consecutive posts I give in one exactly what the registry should look like for an FSX-SE only installation, and then in the next post what files/folders should be named.

Look for that first post on 6th March at 10:03pm and second on same day at 10:27pm (though the forum may adjust dates/times to your location).

Jeff

gets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2017 at 6:36am
Thank you.
Athous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 6:49am
Hi Jeff
Yeah under Program Files (x86) > Steam > SteamApps > Common > FSX > Scenery I have the following UT prefixed entries:

Cheers
Mark
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 10:26pm
@Athous - This is truly a strange case as everything looks as expected except that the UTX Setup Tool is not being able to open the Scenery.cfg which is there.

I know I have asked this before but are you sure that you are running the UTX Setup Tool by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator". Note that the UTX Europe installer/IM even if you run it by the "Run as administrator" option will not necessarily run the UTX Setup Tool itself that way. You may have to specifically find and run the UTX Setup Tool (which is different than the installer and the install manager) by that method.

Jeff

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic