SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ugly Ocean Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ugly Ocean Problem
    Posted: October-11-2016 at 3:16pm
Have run into another Canada2 problem.
Ocean running up shorelines and islands.
Water varies from 3' to 30'.   Big wavesLOL
Pics are at Alberni Canal, N48 58.75  W124 55.48, Broken Group Islands, N56.30  W125 16.83 and Ucluelet BC, N48 56.55  W125  32.55.
I have no mesh installed, just the default.    It looks like the default mesh is showning and there is no flatten of the ocean.
It definitely looks ugly.Confused   Hope there is a solution.
I don't remember this problem with Canada1.   If this can't be cured I think I will go back to Canada1.Cry
Check around the other side of Vancouver Island and don't see any problem.   As far as I've checked it seems to be just in the areas I've shown.

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2016 at 3:57pm
I will have to check this out when I can get to a system with UTX Canada 2 installed.   The water elevations should be the same in UTX Can 1 and UTX Can 2.
Allen

GOLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2016 at 4:51pm
Allen,
Is it possible the scenery is not in the proper order?
This is how UT installed.  I have made no changes to the order.

quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 2:06pm
Issues with water elevations will not have anything to do with scenery folder layering.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
GOLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2016 at 4:06pm
Fellows, I have searched along the east coast of Vancouver Island and have been unable to find this problem.
It only seems to be occurring in the Alberni Canal and the along west coast of Vancouver Island (Between N48 30.98  W124  23.72 and N50 5.71 and W127  30.00).
I have been making myself some scenery at Ucluelet, B.C., but find it impossible due to the problems with the climbing water.
I am just about ready to go back to Version 1 and see if the problem exists in it.
Irvin
bwallis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2016 at 1:42pm
Isn't this where one needs to have the modified terrain.cfg that deals with this issue.  Quite old now, but I think I have that modified terrain.cfg installed and then added the sceneries for UTX and Orbx etc which then adds the required line items to identify the specific textures. required for each scenery.
Bryan "Spiderman" Wallis

Duncan, BC aka "fltsimguy"
GOLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 1:41pm
Allen,
I was wondering if you were able to duplicate my problem?
I installed some old scenery of the Broken Group Islands I did before I purchases UTX.
Everywhere my scenery covered the water is flat.   Unfortunately none of the shorelines match.
In UTX Canada2 it seems as though the flatten is missing from that area.
Should I install Canada1?   I don't recall the problem in it, although I am not positive.

Irvin

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by bwallis bwallis wrote:

Isn't this where one needs to have the modified terrain.cfg that deals with this issue.  Quite old now, but I think I have that modified terrain.cfg installed and then added the sceneries for UTX and Orbx etc which then adds the required line items to identify the specific textures. required for each scenery.

As far as I am aware the modified terrain.cfg only repaired water with slopes and rocks in the Thames River in England. It was fixed by MS in SP1 and then forgotten in SP2/Acceleration.

I was not aware it fixed water elsewhere

there are other items it fixes too and I use a custom version I modified myself for FSX/FSXSE, just not P3D

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by GOLF GOLF wrote:

Allen,
I was wondering if you were able to duplicate my problem?
I installed some old scenery of the Broken Group Islands I did before I purchases UTX.
Everywhere my scenery covered the water is flat.   Unfortunately none of the shorelines match.
In UTX Canada2 it seems as though the flatten is missing from that area.
Should I install Canada1?   I don't recall the problem in it, although I am not positive.

Irvin

I just checked the locations you posted in the first post of the thread. I have UTX USA/Canada but both v2 installed and I do not see this issue. I cant tell you the reason you see it, just that I do not with the latest UTX products in FSX.

Unless this area being so close together (USA and Canada) has a conflict without both UTX USA v2 and UTX Canada v2 installed then I would suspect some other scenery conflict or wait for Allen to respond.

GOLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 3:08pm
Unfortunately this happened on a clean install of FSX and my Ultimate Terrain products.
There was no other scenery installed.
I guess the only thing to do is uninstall down to the FSX installation and then install one UTX at a time and check to see if there is some conflict.   Maybe I have a corrupt installation.

Irvin
GOLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 6:40pm
Well, bit the bullet and un-installed down to the basic FSX.
Re-installed Canada2 with nothing else installed.    Result was the same problem.
Un-installed Canada 2 and installed Canada1, with no upgrade.   Picture shows results.   No climbing water.
From my work here I would say the problem definitely is something in Canada2.
Hope there is a solution for it soon as I would like to use Canada2.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 9:04pm
It could be this area is so close to the USA and on the border it requires UTX USA v2 to correct. I don't really know. Assuming there were absolutely no other scenery items enabled then I would guess that may be the problem since I don't see this here.

The UTX developers will have to look at this further. I was just adding my 2 cents with my install which has no other scenery for this area other than UTX USA/Canada v2 both enabled.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 12:04am
These images are what I see in FSX/Acceleration/SP2 at each location you posted with UTX USA v2 and Canada V2 running....

Assuming you have a clean setup with no other conflicting scenery then it could be this location is affected by not having USA and Canada v2 running at the same time..  I don't know for sure. Allen or Jeff will have to comment further.

GOLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 11:25am
Looks good, although I thought they were stand alone products.
Another thing I was going to try was un-installing Canada 1 and installing Canada 2.
Maybe Canada 1 would leave something behind that would cure Canada 2.
Will wait and see if Allen or Jeff have any suggestions.
It's called grabbing at straws.LOL
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 4:19pm
I just checked and can reproduce the issue in the location in your latest screenshot. UTX Canada V2 was built with updated GPS data and so may now have different land outlines in that location which conflict with the standard FSX mesh (which is what I run).

Allen would have to investigate further as to what exactly is happening in that location with the source data.

There would be no quick option change fix for this if the water level data needs updating.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
GOLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:34pm
Ok, I will install Alaska, US and Europe, all version one.
When a correction comes out for Canada2 I will un-install version 1.

Irvin
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 10:52pm
I use v2 of USA and Canada and also run FS Genesis 10-5m mesh for North America and run FSX texture res @ 7cm with a mesh res @ 10m

Perhaps the combination of all of the above is why I don't see any of these issues.

Tomorrow I have some spare time and I can disable UTX USA and reset the mesh res to 1m then recheck these locations. I can isolate it down to mesh, or, border issues between region product, and report back findings.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 10:09am
I can now confirm this issue at all locations shown as well.

In order to find it I had to switch over to Prepar3D and check these locations. I do have both UTX USA v2 and Canada v2 running in Prepar3D.

The reason I do not see it in FSX is because I have FS Genesis 5-10m mesh installed for North America in FSX and do not use that mesh in Prepar3D. I can not disable the mesh in FSX because it was directly installed into FSX without using a scenery layer method and instead installed to the numerical scenery directories in the sim. The sim defaults to the highest res mesh available to it automatically and it cant be turned off in my FSX install.

The high res mesh appears to correct the majority of the problems shown so Jeff hit the reason, its a clash with the default FSX mesh.

GOLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2017 at 10:30pm
Just wondering if there has been any progress with the Canada 2 update regarding the Alberni Canal and west coast of Vancouver Island?
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2017 at 10:47pm
There is nothing to report on the patch yet.   Besides XpressSim stuff right now, we are analyzing where to go with UTX so that our time is efficiently spent as possible.

We are currently working on updates for UTX V2 Europe and the V2 USA, so that they will support P3D V3 without the patch.   UTX Canada already has this ability.

I do expect a Canada V2 patch.  But, it is not scheduled yet.

To be honest, I am waiting on some things outside of our control that may impact the future of UTX (good things).   But, I cannot discuss them due to NDA's.

UTX is still VERY much alive.   XpressSim is #1 right now as we are trying to get it off the ground and publicized.   But, UTX is not going to be forgotten.

Allen

Psybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 10:55am
Hi Allen,

With regards to getting XpressSim off the ground, the one and only place I have seen it mentioned was on AVSIM in the middle column, which of course gets buried rather quickly.

Good to know UTX is still in the scheme...Alaska or Tropics?

Anyway, cheers, chin up,

Clayton
Win 10x64-256GB 840Pro | P3Dv3.4-512GB 850Pro
Z270 XPower Titanium i7-7700K @4.7GHz-H115i | 32GB TridentZ @3200MHz 14-14-14-34-2N
GTX1070 Quicksilver 378.78
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2017 at 12:10pm
"With regards to getting XpressSim off the ground, the one and only place I have seen it mentioned was on AVSIM in the middle column, which of course gets buried rather quickly."

You are spot on Clayton.   We are sending notices out to all the sites.  But, only Avsim seems to be posting them.   It can be tough getting the word out.    A positive review from one of the big sites would really help.    FlightSim.com is an enigma.  We keep sending them notices but nothing gets posted.

I have not yet really pushed hard YET for any advertising or reviews, as I am waiting for the product inventory to build.   But, that time should be coming soon (month or two ?).    We have some ideas on how to try and get the word out then.

As far as UTX goes, I can't really get into that very much right now.    Alaska in particular is a product that is giving me trouble with regards to where to take it.   At some point soon, I am going to create a thread to start a discussion about Alaska.

Ultimate Alaska as you probably know does not yet support P3D.    The reason for this is because the product is very different from the other UTX versions, including much of the terrain/objects and also a completely different user interface.    Some of the Alaskan cities were originally designed with some very early logic that was kind of a prototype for XpressSim.    Ideally, some of those cities should be reworked in XpressSim.    The real question comes down to how we would best repackage Alaska.
Allen

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2017 at 3:00pm

There is no such thing a ..bx scenery that runs with the performance XpressSim does for the same volume of scenery and gosh darn if anyone finds out

GOLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2017 at 12:37pm
Hi Fellows,
I am thinking of re-installing Canada 2.
I was going to use Google Earth and FSX_KML, (airport_background_flatten) to get the ocean flat again.
I am worried about the islands though.   Obviously I do not want them flattened.    Would have to do some research on the procedure.
I was wondering if doing this would work with UTX?
 Irvin
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by GOLF GOLF wrote:

Hi Fellows,
I am thinking of re-installing Canada 2.
I was going to use Google Earth and FSX_KML, (airport_background_flatten) to get the ocean flat again.
I am worried about the islands though.   Obviously I do not want them flattened.    Would have to do some research on the procedure.
I was wondering if doing this would work with UTX?
 Irvin

Hi Irvin,

The flattens are polygons, not rectangles.  So, you would just draw them around the islands.   I don't know how FSX_KML works exactly.  But, I understand the general theory which should work.

What is important is that you layer your work above UTX Canada in the scenery library, because the flattens are going to override UTX.

FWIW, this issue is still on our list to be implemented in the new version.   But, the newer versions won't be ready until around the fall holidays at the earliest.   Right now we are performing some R&D on the new version to test out some potential new features.  This will take place over the next couple of months, before we actually start production work on the new versions. 
Allen

GOLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 2:42pm
Thanks, I might play with it and see what happens.
Hopefully all will be well in the fall.
Irvin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic