SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Reality XP - Unofficial Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLPV/Duke - FSX Accel/SP2 troubleshooting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: LPV/Duke - FSX Accel/SP2 troubleshooting
    Posted: November-05-2009 at 5:57pm
Hi,

after reviewing and compiling all the information about this, it looks like there are two different FSX SP2 versions!?!?

Actually, when we initially design the new feature to override the XML variable in our gauge, feature which permits driving the VOR/HSI needles in XML gauges, we made it compatible for ESP, FSX Acc and FSX SP2 (really too cumbersome with Sp1).

Now, it looks like some of our SP2 Dlls are not the same as some others SP2 Dlls. This means that not only the XML override system is not properly working when you also have this "different" set of SP2 files, but it can also make your FSX SP2 fail under some circumstances.

I really don't know now (nearly 2 years have passed) what this set of SP2 files we have could have came from. Also, since there seems to be a number of customers not having an issue with SP2 and our GNS driving the needles, it would mean there are two sets of SP2 version?!!?

So I'm starting this thread to poll you, customers of the Duke and GNS WAAS:

1) do you have SP2, and if so, is the link between the GNS and the HSI working alright (at least the needles, the flag is another topic) or not?

2) do you have Acceleration pack, and if so, is the link working or not?

I'd appreciate you can give a short answer in this thread, like:

1) yes
2) n/a (not applicable)

or if there is any way you can test with FSX SP2 AND Acceleration:

1) yes
2) yes

etc...

in all cases, please report the file version number of your sim1.dll, utils.dll and panels.dll

I think with enough reports, a clear pattern will show up, which will help a lot offering a final fix for supporting this feature in SP2.

Thank you for your help!
Jean-Luc
Reality XP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 7:03pm
By the way, I've forgotten to add: Microsoft hinted (or even said?) that SP2/Accel was the same "core" product, but Accel was having a bunch of extras (missions, aircraft etc...). As a matter of fact, the SP2 files we have had were being exactly the same internally than the one included in Accel.

From the look of the "other" SP2 files I've been able to study, this shows that there are SP2 core DLLs which are not the same as SP1 core DLLs, and in fact, Accel XML var handling code is more optimized than SP2, which is slightly only more optimized than SP1. (ESP is the same core as Accel).

No wonder there are so many widely different performance reports from all over the place from all simmers with similar hardware...
Jean-Luc
dmaher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 8:01pm

SP2:       No           (GNS not linking to RealAir HSI)

ACL:       n/a         (I do not have Acceleration)

Name:                  File Version:

sim1.dll                 10.0.61472.0

util.dll                    10.0.61472.0

panels.dll             10.0.61472.0

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe

10.0.61472.0 (fsx-sp2.20071210-2023)

Hope this helps…let me know if you’d like more detail

BTW, I have util.dll not utils.dll

Danny

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2009 at 8:34pm
Thanks Danny, yes it is util.dll, good catch.

Now, I've not paid attention to this before, but the product version in the files, show something like:

10.0.61472.0 (fsx-sp2.20071210-2023)

Insterestingly, the Accel pack file shows:

10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)

and SP1 file shows:

10.0.61355.0 (fsx-sp1.20070510-2038)

(you can taste the nightmare to support FSX customers....)

Now look closely:

SP1: 10 MAY 2007
SP2: 12 DEC 2007
ACC: 26 SEP 2007

WOW, SP2 was released after ACC, but includes XML code from SP1 code base, which is not that optimized. ACC was released before SP2, but the XML code is optimized (I spare you the details, but in SP1/SP2 the XML variable code is very convoluted, while in ACC it is straighten and more efficient)

So, FS says ACC/SP2 are the same code base, with the same enhancements, but in fact, ACC is different than SP2, even-though SP2 was released AFTER ACC!! what a mess!

Just to try tracing this: where did you downloaded SP2 from?
Jean-Luc
dmaher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2009 at 3:16pm

I downloaded SP2 from fsinsider.com, the date was sometime around August2008.

It appears I deleted the installer and all temp files associated with it shortly after I installed it.

So are all SP2 users experiencing this problem?

Or, are there in fact some SP2 users with a working GNS to XML link?

It would be good to hear from some more users.

Danny

rudi0310 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2009 at 4:26am
Downloaded SP2 from fsinsider
Use SP2

1 - no       (no link, tested with RealAir Duke)
2 - n/a      (do not have ACC)

sim1.dll     10.0.61472.0
util.dll       10.0.61472.0
panels.dll   10.0.61472.0

Cheers
Rudi

tedpan2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2009 at 11:21am

I too am having the same problem with the RealAir Duke.

Running Vista32 w/ FSX sp2 installed, Acc not installed.

Regards,

Ted Panamarioff - Kodiak Alaska

Regards,
Ted Panamarioff - Kodiak Alaska
pschaps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 10:48pm
SP2: No (HSI (CDI) is not linking to G430)
ACL: n/a
NAMES:   FILE VERSION
sim1.dll      10.0.61472.0
util.dll        10.0.61472.0
panels.dll   10.0.61472.0

FSX Deluxe version :10.0.61472.0

pschaps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 3:26am
Would the CDI on the HSI work if I were to fork out some more money and purchase the RXP Flight Line T gauges and swap the HSI on say the FSX standard baron for the RXP Flight Line T HSI?Confused

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 8:06pm
pschaps, using FLT/N will work, because they are coded using C/C++ gauges and not XML. The issue is only for XML gauges. Any third party gauge in C/C++ works, and any third party gauge in XML when using Acceleration (or the very first release of SP2?) work.

Having said this, here is a new build that is now aware of the different SP2 that exists in the wild. You can download this installer and run it over your setup. Please let me know if this works fine on your systems now:

http://www.reality-xp.com/support/files/rxpGNS-Update.exe

I still can't believe, that Microsoft claims that SP2 is like Acceleration in terms of feature set and code base, but in fact, it is different and for the XML variable part, it is closer to SP1 than Acceleration, and I still can't believe there would be two different SP2 versions in the wild: one shortly released after Acceleration (the one our technology is based on, supposedly the same as what is included in Acceleration - since we have based our code on this 2 years ago and it looks like customers since then would have complained much more), and one now available which is different!?!

Please, post in this thread your results with the new build, with the Duke obviously, but any other aircraft (default Baron is a good test aircraft too).

Thank you!
Jean-Luc
pschaps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 1:37am
Ok...
Just tried that update and there is a bit of a problem

FSX keeps crashing with the aircraft that I added the G430 to. When I remove the G430 from the aircraft it works fine.
I got it running for a few minutes with the baron BUT, there was no screen on the GNS. Where the screen is meant to be was just transparent. I can upload a picture if you want.
I will try unistall the gauge and re-install the gauge and see if that helps

** edit **
If I start a flight in another aircraft and then change to the Baron the GPS shows up properly but it is still not linking to the HSI.
After selecting the baron, if I then try to choose another aircraft, it crashs again.

Hmm... Will the flight line T and N gauges work?
Would prefer to just use the standard FSX gauges but seeing as though I got the GNS, might as well have gauges which actually work with it
lawndart View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 1:52am

I think that reinstalling in this instance can be done without reusing the wrapper if you still have the extracted setup available as the liscensing should still be valid.  However, it is usually best to reinstall using the wrapper.  Yes, this burns activations but you can always reset the key at https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=kman.

Personally, I'd err on the side of using the wrapper to avoid any extraneous issues.

pschaps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 2:04am
Originally posted by lawndart lawndart wrote:

I think that reinstalling in this instance can be done without reusing the wrapper if you still have the extracted setup available as the liscensing should still be valid.  However, it is usually best to reinstall using the wrapper.  Yes, this burns activations but you can always reset the key at https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=kman.

Personally, I'd err on the side of using the wrapper to avoid any extraneous issues.

I re-installed with the original setup but still getting the same problem...

vons View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 5:20am
Jean-Luc,

Where did you get a copy of the bad Microsoft SP2 dll files from to test that it is causing a problem with RealityXp GNS?

Do you have the size and dates (properties) of the good sp2 dll files and the bad SP2 dll files from Microsoft so users can check which one they currently using?

Where do they get the good SP2 from (containing the good dll's)?

Did you notify Microsoft of the problem?
If so, what did they tell you?

Edit: Have you identified where the users downloaded the bad SP2 from?
Vaughan Martell
dmaher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 1:08pm

I tried the patch also and I've had the same result as pschaps.

…frequent crashing with GNS aircraft and no CDI deflection using GPS. 

Actually, now the HSI’s CDI is pegged to one side rather than centered, (center being the default inactive position) So there’s a bit of life there ;)

Jean-Luc, is there any chance you recieved your SP2 directly from MS as part of a beta program? ...it's been such a long time it would be very easy misinterpret the order of things.

Danny

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 2:05pm
Hi,

this is interesting. In fact, I don't remember were we have gotten our SP2 from, but there is a great chance it was shortly after the beta (and I always make sure the products are based on release code, not the betas).

When designing our technology for controlling XML needles, this required looking how SP2 and Accel code were made, how to intercept internal calls, and it appeared at the time both SP2 and Accel, for this XML thing, were having the same code (different than SP1 - somewhat more optimized/streamlined).

Now, I've been sent SP2 files from another vendor, because he was starting to have the same problems on his computer (no needles moving!). And what my surprise when I've seen that his SP2 files looked closer to SP1 code spaghetti, than optimized SP2 code!

This is peculiar, since Acceleration is supposed to be SP2 + content, or said otherwise, that SP2 offers the same level of optimizations than Acceleration...

The truth is that a vendor was using an SP2 which is not containing the same code as Acceleration, and more than that, the SP2 released AFTER Acceleration, is having code structures resembling SP1 and not Acceleration

I know, it is confusing to follow...:-)

However, the crashing you might have is because the code is also including some new features, that we have put on halt to release this test build (dirty test).

So, do you mind, both Danny and Paul, to send the following files to RXP email (put DEBUG SP2 THREAD as a subject and send it to support AT reality-xp.com)

sim1.dll
util.dll

In addition, I'd like you to also look into, and send me, the simconnect manifest files. You should find them in this folder (winXP, Vista should have something similar):

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifests\

Everything that contains "SimConnect_#####.manifest" in the file name is important to me. A typical filename is for example:

x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9.Manifest

I thank you for your help!

Jean-Luc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 2:16pm
Forgotten to add: if you have a blank screen, or any thing not working when you see the GNS gauge on the panel, please make sure to review/post the content of your rxpGnsSim.log file, if any, located in your "My Documents" folder.
Jean-Luc
dmaher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 4:16pm

I've emailed the files you requested...

Danny

abez View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 5:39pm
Hi. SP2 - HSI needle not working with Real Air Duke
No acceleration pack.

sim1.dll    10.0.61472.0
util.dll  10.0.61472.0
panels.dll  10.0.61472.0

MSFS Deluxe package

Thanks, Al

pschaps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 10:42pm
Sent the requested files too

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2009 at 8:10pm
Ok, I thank you all for the feedback and the files! I think we have a solution now, and I'm closing this thread. I'll create a new thread, since the issue of GNS WAAS and HSI needles is not just a problem with the Duke, it is a problem with SP2 and any HSI!

GNS WAAS 430/530 not controlling HSI: solution
Jean-Luc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic