SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The inevitable P3Dv4 compatibility question!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The inevitable P3Dv4 compatibility question!
    Posted: June-08-2017 at 6:09pm
Has anyone tried FEX with P3Dv4 yet?

Will it work?

I'm waiting till all the various add-ons get hotfixed before I upgrade to P3Dv4. FEX is still my textures utility of choice!

Adam.

EDIT: Any chance of FEX being made v4 compatible? For all the hoo-hah from various other environment developers/vendors, I still think FEX wins!
Adamski_NZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 8:29pm
Bump! Is FEX dead? Not exactly brimming with responses here :-(

Adam.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 8:58pm
FEX will work in P3D except for the water animations..   Unfortunaly they have significantly changed the way water animations works in P3D.

I still use my own designed clouds and sky from FEX in v3/v4 but do not use the water textures or wave animations. I have not experimented with water colors as of yet.

In v4, the color of the water is significantly changed with the color of the sky. Its somewhat the same with v3 too but not as much as v4. So water design from the past does not work the same in the newer P3D sims. The sky tones will change the water color significantly in v4.

Wave animations have changed in v3/v4 but more so in v4. I found installing water and wave themes together can harm the reflection and wave quality in P3Dv4.

Colors have changed significantly...  I had to rework my sky textures in order to equal what I had originally designed for FSX and past sims.

If you use it you should enter the settings under INSTALL OPTIONS, uncheck the "Water Animations" at minimum and you can experiment with the water itself but it may be best to leave the water unchecked too.

It can be used with P3Dv4 as is as long as the animations are not allowed to be installed.. under and sim path you can highlight and browse the P3Dv3 option to the P3Dv4 directory and the Prepar3D.exe

I cant say what FEX will do in the future as I am not connected with it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 9:37pm
Thanks, Nick - much appreciated!

I was seriously considering giving FEX a whirl with P3Dv4 with only the cloud/sky options enabled, so your post tips the decision - thanks! I'll report back here!

I was going to wait until REX got their act together with their variously named products, but it could still be quite a wait - despite what they say in the forums.

Adam.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 9:41pm
Like I said above..   you can use everything but the wave animations

The coloring in v4 has significantly changed. After changing my realistic blue sky to have more blue color (in FSX its fine, but in P3D its too grey) the default water started looking much better.

P3Dv4 water responds to the sky color more aggressively than FSX or P3D of the past.

So you can experiment with the water..   but work out the sky color first because if you do it the other way around you will pull your hair out.

lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

So you can experiment with the water..   but work out the sky color first because if you do it the other way around you will pull your hair out.

Hahaha. Thanks again, Nick - I'm going to go for it (I won't be touching the water though) - so, watch this space! To quote Lawrence Oates ... "I may be some time" ...

Adam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamski_NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 2:04am
Here you go, Nick! I did just the sky and clouds.

So great to have my beloved FEX clouds in P3Dv4. Thanks for being my guinea pig!

Adam.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 7:54am
A little too blue for my taste but that's what FEX is about..   make it yourself and what you personally like
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic